Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 1272
    Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Yeah, what the heck? I've done a wicking T shirt and my softshell down to minus 5 F. Could have used the "thicker jersey on top of that" layer at those temps, but I was fine.
    OK, that's going too far the other way! I would be freezing my a** off, not "fine" at -5F and T with softshell.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    If it's going to be winter you might as well have fun. I just signed the wife and I up for this: The Snowman Adventure Race | Bike, Run, & Sled To Celebrate Winter
    That looks fun, I used to live at Eastern Prom & Morning St! If I can find a runner...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I wear the bike shorts under to prevent dick freezing....works great.
    Ummm that sounds sensible. I use the same method though. Chamois layer goes first, usually shorts but in cold maybe chamois tights.
    [/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    That's preventable?! I just deal with it. My wife laughs at the shrinkage. Humiliating, but no apparent damage yet. Unpadded "sports" shorts under a pair of insulated, unpadded tights.
    Shrinkage is not the issue....the thawing out period is very painful.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    That looks fun, I used to live at Eastern Prom & Morning St! If I can find a runner...
    I might be able to come up with a runner. PM or email me if you want to pursue it.

mtbr member
    Fun for fatbikes? Can't beat 'em, join 'em?

BikeBoards take your bike skiing

mtbr member

CB of the East
    Those bike boards look silly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Enough with the negative numbers already here in South Dakota! I want warm weather again! Sorry...that's my rant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    For more details:

An Antartic bike ride unassisted to the South Pole

There were actually three people making the trek this year (one trike, and 2 fatbikes) and they all made it, although the trike made it first.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Fun for fatbikes? Can't beat 'em, join 'em?

BikeBoards take your bike skiing
    I dunno about that. The video makes it seem like the ski slides more than cuts in turns and the guy was riding groomed trail (where a fat bike would probably work better). I think they could be thinner at the middle and have enough mount to tilt when the bikes lean.

Tires
    I'm looking for cold winter commuter support. Am I doing something wrong? I got honked at today by an angry person in a car, for riding in the road. It's a 35mph FOUR lane, and not very busy at all, road that usually has a bike path along side of it, but they don't clear the bike path, and there's about 8 inches of icy snow everywhere, with huge snow-banks from the plows blocking any access to any sidewalks or shoulders. The only clear areas are the paths of the tires from the cars.

I've been riding in the right car track path, in the right lane. Fluorescent/reflective vest, and lights, but still it seems about 20% of the motorist are extremely upset that someone would be riding their bike in their territory. They pass dangerously close, about 20% of the time, it seems.

So, am I doing something wrong? I feel like I'm pissing everyone off and I almost feel bad for riding my bike. It sucks.
    Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlé

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread

Unfortunately, that seems about right, from my experience. People in my area are seldom happy when I take the lane, though probably a bit less than 1/5 of them. It definitely goes up come tourist season.

My only advice in that kind of situation would be to own the lane more, but depending on the laws in your area, you may be there already.

mtbr member
    -38F @ 4am and Fresh Snow

Alarm shrieks in the middle of
    the night. A pissed off thermo-
    meter just blinks "--". I gear
    up silently in the dark.

Down in the valley I kick
    the snow and ice from my bike.
    Bitter wind freezes my nostrils
    as I breathe deep.

Letting the air out of my tires
    for traction in the fresh snow,
    I begin the squeeky climb up
    my single track to the road.

In minutes there is no water in my
    bottle just a solid block of ice. If
    I stop pedalling the chain seizes up.
    Shifters frozen, Brakes frozen.

The plow wont pass by here for
    another two hours. In twilights
    lingering shadow a mammal makes
    his own heat, breathing heavy.

Mountain peaks travel forward
    in time as alpine dawn lights a
    rosy fire on winters frozen skin
    13,000 ft above sea level.

Sunlights' horizon slowly waves
    down the peaks' southern faces.
    Long thin scars of shadow tell
    of ancient rockslides.

Racing to sunrises' edge for a few
    extra degrees of warmth.
    The holy moment when violet night
    is chased away by dawns peach glow.

Ground twinkles with the reflection
    of a million tiny suns. Kundalini
    energy rises, my internal fire rages
    and I shed layers trying not to sweat.
    "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades"
    ~Merckx

"See rule #5"
    ~velominati

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Nice! C-c-c-cold!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    I'm looking for cold winter commuter support. Am I doing something wrong? ...I've been riding in the right car track path, in the right lane. Fluorescent/reflective vest, and lights, but still it seems about 20% of the motorist are extremely upset that someone would be riding their bike in their territory. They pass dangerously close, about 20% of the time, it seems. So, am I doing something wrong? I feel like I'm pissing everyone off and I almost feel bad for riding my bike. It sucks.
    No, that is as safe as you can do. Bright rear light so they have lots of warning, and the Hi-Vis says you are trying to help. You may get pulled over by police. Have a copy of your state and cities laws with you to back you up. The motorists are not used to a cyclist in the lane and are not willing to think about it enough to figure out why you are and why you have no other option. In time they will get over it.

Tires
    Bright rear light so they have lots of warning, and the Hi-Vis says you are trying to help.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement, BrianMC. That's what I was thinking. I even ditched the flashing rear light for the steady-on, "Bush & Müller" after reading how flashing lights annoy drivers and impair their ability to judge distance (messes with their depth perception).

(today I even saw a pedestrian walking in the street, because the sidewalks are that bad - the huge banks from the plows are over 4 and 5 feet high, at every intersection)

I mean, there isn't even any traffic, and these people can't share the road with a slightly slower (highly visible) vehicle.

I dream on two wheels

The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread

I meant to post this on Tuesday when I took it. It was 4:30 pm and about -2* and snowing a little. Then when I get to this clearing, I see the sun. Oh and I'll admit the picture is just a little shopped. ;-)
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I had to resort to taking the Hardtail 29'er to work today. 3 inches of fresh powder at 12 degrees. Fun ride on tubeless 2.25 inch tires though.

Natural Born Killer
    My arrival at work this morning at 7:45am and the temp a whopping -12F:
    The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-009.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by nemhed View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	867945
    Respect. I rode in -3ş Fahrenheit this morning, and I'm not sure I could do it again. I got stopped by a train and couldn't "generate my own heat". My fingers and toes were in pain and I thought they'd have frostbite.

mtbr member
    May 2013

What are you using for shoes? I find that my feet limit me by far the most in temperatures below 25 degrees. My Shimano shoes let wind through very easily. I've tried chemical footwarmers, two pairs of socks (one thick wool pair), covers. Still only good for 30-45 minutes at most.

Natural Born Killer
    When it gets below 10F I switch to flat pedal and these cheap $25 snow boots I got from TSC:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thank you. That solution is far too obvious, instead of the $250 winter cycling shoes I had been considering. You've saved me a bunch of money. D'oh.

Moderator Moderator

Woohoo nemhed! Congrats on that frigid feat!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic OCD View Post
    What are you using for shoes? I find that my feet limit me by far the most in temperatures below 25 degrees. My Shimano shoes let wind through very easily. I've tried chemical footwarmers, two pairs of socks (one thick wool pair), covers. Still only good for 30-45 minutes at most.
    Have you ever tried just wrapping a plastic grocery bag around your foot? You can clip in right through it. I wouldn't use it as a daily solution, but it would tell you if a cheap set of shoe covers would do the trick for you.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have a pair of Louis Garneaux shoe covers that help a little. But they are falling apart, and for the most part they suck.
    I've cut apart an old wetsuit and used the arm sleeves as additional covers. That helps a lot more, but I still get cold.
    I am going to dig out some winter boots and platform pedals. Thanks for the suggestion.

No one calls me Maurice.
    I use the layered approach. For really cold days (under 15F) I use seal socks, Bontrager regular shoes, a pair of heavy socks (with the bottoms cut to allow a cleat and stitched to keep from unraveling) and some Performance neoprene shoe covers on top.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    I'm looking for cold winter commuter support. Am I doing something wrong? I got honked at today by an angry person in a car, for riding in the road. It's a 35mph FOUR lane, and not very busy at all, road that usually has a bike path along side of it, but they don't clear the bike path, and there's about 8 inches of icy snow everywhere, with huge snow-banks from the plows blocking any access to any sidewalks or shoulders. The only clear areas are the paths of the tires from the cars.

I've been riding in the right car track path, in the right lane. Fluorescent/reflective vest, and lights, but still it seems about 20% of the motorist are extremely upset that someone would be riding their bike in their territory. They pass dangerously close, about 20% of the time, it seems.

So, am I doing something wrong? I feel like I'm pissing everyone off and I almost feel bad for riding my bike. It sucks.
    No good deed will go unpunished. You are doing the right thing by riding your bike and motorists should thank you. Hi-vis clothes and a strong rear light give motorists plenty of warning. If they honk, give them a friendly wave like they are encouraging you, sigh, and check your 6!

Motorists can be very nervous about changing lanes if there is snow outside the tracks and between lanes. They act like you've ruined their day if they have to slow down to 12-15 mph (if you're as slow as me) and follow for a block or two until they can safely change lanes to pass you.

Here in Salt Lake City weather never prevents me from riding, motorists do. The amount of snow we get in any one storm and relatively mild temperatures I could easily ride to work even on the worst days. However, if we get enough snow piled up to block the paths and push me out on the street, I ride the train. Its not worth starting my day dealing with pissed off drivers to make it worth it. I ride to reduce stress. I have two sections of my ride that I must use a busy 4 lane road (curbed, no shoulder) with even a small amount of snow. Even with my willingness to chicken out I've been brushed with a truck mirror more than once this winter which sends me into an adrenalin fueled low orbit. Not part of my reducing stress plan.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic OCD View Post
    Circulation to the toes and blocking the wind are the key to keeping your feet warm. I use my regular road shoes with duct tape over the vents to below freezing. I cannot ride without clipless pedals. If you try to cram heavy socks in your regular shoes you are restricting blood flow and your feet will get cold. Two pair of thin socks are warmer than one pair of thick socks. Somewhere below freezing I add booties which keeps you warm much lower. Effective lower body layering that gets warm blood to your feet is important too.

In Alaska I splurged on some Northwave winter shoes, money well spent. I bought them 2 full sizes larger than my normal road shoes (which are worn with thin socks). I can wear two pair of wool socks and still have plenty of wiggle room for effective blood flow. I've worn those shoes at -20F regularly in relative comfort. I wore them today at 35F and they were very sweaty when I got home. It was colder when I rode in this morning.

No one calls me Maurice.
    Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    No good deed will go unpunished. You are doing the right thing by riding your bike and motorists should thank you. Hi-vis clothes and a strong rear light give motorists plenty of warning. If they honk, give them a friendly wave like they are encouraging you, sigh, and check your 6!

Motorists can be very nervous about changing lanes if there is snow outside the tracks and between lanes. They act like you've ruined their day if they have to slow down to 12-15 mph (if you're as slow as me) and follow for a block or two until they can safely change lanes to pass you.

Here in Salt Lake City weather never prevents me from riding, motorists do. The amount of snow we get in any one storm and relatively mild temperatures I could easily ride to work even on the worst days. However, if we get enough snow piled up to block the paths and push me out on the street, I ride the train. Its not worth starting my day dealing with pissed off drivers to make it worth it. I ride to reduce stress. I have two sections of my ride that I must use a busy 4 lane road (curbed, no shoulder) with even a small amount of snow. Even with my willingness to chicken out I've been brushed with a truck mirror more than once this winter which sends me into an adrenalin fueled low orbit. Not part of my reducing stress plan.
    The world is full of angry people who drive cars. They're not angry at you because you ride in "their" lane, they're angry at themselves because they're too lazy to get off their ass and ride. I think about this when ever I get cut off or honked at by an angry and jealous motorist. About then I follow the 50% rule. 50% get ignored, 50% of the remainder get yelled at, 50% of that remainder get a water bottle chucked at them and the remainder usually get close enough for me to pound on their hood/roof. We've got a 3' rule (must clear bikes by 3') so it can never be my fault.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    It's like the "Don't Know, Don't Care Ride" being canceled because of ignorance and apathy.

No one calls me Maurice.
    A little winter waxing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-i-am-not-cold.jpg  

Last edited by Forster; 02-14-2014 at 12:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Might as well post this here:

2014 Winter Bike-to-Work Day

I stopped for a donut, but I'm not pictured.

CB of the East
    Nice chopper fatbike. That must handle really well in the snow. I know when I start to skid I want my arms up over my head.

mtbr member
    ^ I've seen him a few times, but finally got to talk to him this morning.

He said he likes the control it gives him, but that because of all the leverage the bar will occasionally rotate a bit in the stemclamp? It sounds completely crazy to me, but he was one of the few other riders I saw when it was -30C/-22F earlier this winter, so whatever works I guess.

Natural Born Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ I've seen him a few times, but finally got to talk to him this morning.

He said he likes the control it gives him, but that because of all the leverage the bar will occasionally rotate a bit in the stemclamp? It sounds completely crazy to me, but he was one of the few other riders I saw when it was -30C/-22F earlier this winter, so whatever works I guess.
    It's like the Harley guys with their hands above their heads on the apehangers, and feet sticking way out in front, with all their weight sitting on their tailbone. They will swear it's the best position, but I'll never understand it. To each his own.
    I had to forgo the commute today because we've gotten a couple inches of additional white stuff. I just can't put myself out there with the cars when the roads are covered.

No one calls me Maurice.
    19.6 in a constant 15 mph quartering headwind at 25 F. Saw two bikes (one collecting cans) otherwise only runners on the trail. 60% humidity, 95% overcast and 100% yuk. Glad to have lunch waiting at home.

CB of the East
    OK, winter had officially started to wear me down. I haven't been back on the bike since my blizzard ride: The Candid Cyclist: The Soul Sucking Lake and that's pretty unusual.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Wow, that sounds awful! Glad you made it off the lake and home. I've been off too, just worn out since a flubug last weekend and shoveling snow (23" base in the yard this a.m.). I snowshoe to walk the dogs in the morning, and if that wears me out, I figure riding is a bad idea. Maybe next week, I'm driving a co-worker in tomorrow.

mtbr member
    This thread helped motivate me to ride all winter. My coldest so far has been -4 with a -15 windchill. I've ridden in a blizzard and almost got plowed over by a deer. Riding in the blizzard was pretty stupid and I probably won't do that again. But this thread has helped me realize that it's your attitude not the weather that sucks. So thanks guys.

Also, the cold ride isn't the horrible thing. Getting changed in our unheated,un-insulated shop is horrible.
    Ask me about Evansburg State Park
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

weirdo
    Soul Sucking, indeed. I feel exhausted just reading the account. How did you manage to hold a line enough to find your "exit" from the lake and then the trail, once you got to the shore?

Hi, Fell_brook. Too bad you didn`t have POV vid rolling for the deer attack- would have been like that flying antelope tackle from YouTube fame last year!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post

Hi, Fell_brook. Too bad you didn`t have POV vid rolling for the deer attack- would have been like that flying antelope tackle from YouTube fame last year!
    Thankfully, it wasn't that close. Two deer ran in front of me about 20 feet up ahead. I saw the car in the opposite lane slam on their brakes (in the blizzard) I looked to my left (I'm in the right tire lane) and made the contact with Bambi who hit a patch of ice right before the double line and slipped on all fours. I think we both were yelling the same expletives. If she didn't slip,I don't know where I'd be. Did i mention death by deer is one of my biggest fears?
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

CB of the East
    Hmm, I'd never even considered death by deer as remotely likely even though I did almost hit one on a bike at high speed.

Rodar, I periodically turned off my lights and I could make out landmarks to make sure I was going in the right direction.

I didn't feel stupid riding in the blizzard since it wasn't on roads and my chances of getting squished were pretty low. It started out fun enough but I think I was more tired at the end of that ride than almost any other. I still haven't been back on the bike. Although we have had snow every day and the trails and sides of the roads are buried.

I've got high hopes for some good fast winter trails after this weekend's thaw and snowmobile traffic then next weeks freeze.

mtbr member
    My phobia of deer came before I commuted. I never really thought about having an encounter on the streets. I've watched too many "real TV" episodes of people being antlered to death... Or close to it. I remember one where someone hit one with a car and it stuck in the windshield and bucked her to death.
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

CB of the East
    Here, this is from our local paper and wont' help... but moose are crankier than deer.
    Video: Maine moose released into wild attacks man | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

mtbr member
    That didn't help at all. He's lucky that was a baby.
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

No one calls me Maurice.
    The Long Cold Winter Commuter Support Thread-fargo.jpg 39F and sunny on a new Fargo. Could be worse. Still not fully configured (waiting on a front fender bracket, second water bottle cage, need to trim the fender mount wires and maybe a little off the rear fender {wheelie in the snow clearance}) but it pretty fun to commute on that bike. Got passed by a youngster (25) on a Trek road bike, damn near killed myself running him down before he pulled off the trail. It's my stupid little way of competing on the way home. Much less embarrassing than gunning down 4-year-olds on a Big Wheel.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Moderator Moderator
    Bikeyface...so true...

two-panel set
    If You Were Me | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

CB of the East
    Winter storm watch in effect for Wed...
    Ode To Spring

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    where's m'damn winter gone!?!
    salted roads everywhere but the mercury's hovering near the positive!
    Studded tires still crunching the ice daily... but I'm losing hope.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!