Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    bicycle dreamer
    I commuted to work all summer (I was only working weekends where it was feasible), it was glorious. Only 14 miles round-trip but made for a fantastic way to start my day. I had a bad motorcycle crash on the racetrack in the beginning of this month and it had been 29 days since I last rode my bike.

Started commuting again yesterday. With today that makes 2 days where I've been sane, rested, and myself. I'm building up a CX frame for the winter (I won't put my Ferrous through these Wisco winters!) and plan on joining you all in being as-car-free-as-possible for my daily work needs.

Can't wait for Winter. It's going to be great.
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

More than a little slow
    I started commuting in `93 but didn`t make it through a winter until `96. I ride most days through the winter although I am getting better at knowing when I would be happier taking the bus. There`s not a lot of incentive to take the bus since it takes a quite a bit longer and then I have to put up with all the comments at work ( You didn`t ride to work today? What are you?, a wimp? etc.), but occasionally the roads are bad enough that it just doesn`t make sense to ride. I`ve also left an old winter coat at work for years just so I don`t get stuck having to ride home (although it`s fairly easy these days to check the weather so I normally have a pretty good idea of what`s heading our way).
    My goal this winter is to work out a good alternative to a cycling jacket. I wore a Gortex jacket from MEC for about ten years. It worked, but the last two jackets that I`ve bought have not been successful. If I can`t work out an alternative I think I`m going to end up with a ShowersPass jacket .....It`s no wonder I`m not rich, there`s always these bike things to buy.
    Cheers, Dave

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by That Geo Guy
    I commuted to work all summer (I was only working weekends where it was feasible), it was glorious. Only 14 miles round-trip but made for a fantastic way to start my day. I had a bad motorcycle crash on the racetrack in the beginning of this month and it had been 29 days since I last rode my bike.

I broke my leg snowboarding last winter. I was off the bike for most of Jan-Feb...That first day back on the bike in February was something like 10 degrees F...I was sore, my knee was in pain and didn't want to bend, I wasn't conditioned to the cold...it was glorious. Everyone around me thought I was nuts for getting back on the bike so soon, but I bet you understand.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk
    My goal this winter is to work out a good alternative to a cycling jacket. I wore a Gortex jacket from MEC for about ten years. It worked, but the last two jackets that I`ve bought have not been successful. If I can`t work out an alternative I think I`m going to end up with a ShowersPass jacket .....It`s no wonder I`m not rich, there`s always these bike things to buy.
    Check out a softshell jacket by any of your standard mountain wear/backpacking companies...Columbia, Mountain Hardware, The North Face, Patagonia, REI, etc... I've been using a Columbia softshell for the past couple winters with nothing but a jersey under it, down to single digit temps, and it's been great. I've been caught in a few downpours also, and it's great in the rain. Most of them are waterproof/breathable, and stretch more than goretex. They can get expensive, but I found mine at campmor.com for 50 bucks. It doesn't have a drop tail, but other than that it's a perfect cycling jacket.

mtbr member
    I'v been doing it for 7 years now. Didn't make it through the first winter but have not missed one after. Put my fenders on last week and bought a new front flasher. The cold is not the problem here, its the rain. I gave up on rain gear, if its really water proof I'm soaked in sweat at the top of the hill. If its breathable it fails in a heavy rain. If I buy good quality waterproof/breathable gear, the grit from the road ruins it. So I just get wet and hang stuff up to dry at work.

I'm SUCH a square....
    With the temps suddenly dropping where I am, I'm finding myself in my usual fall trepidation mood. Not quite ready to make the cold-weather transition yet. But, I always manage.

Breezy and brisk out there this morning...stung a bit. Time to get after it, mentally.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

bicycle dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I broke my leg snowboarding last winter. I was off the bike for most of Jan-Feb...That first day back on the bike in February was something like 10 degrees F...I was sore, my knee was in pain and didn't want to bend, I wasn't conditioned to the cold...it was glorious. Everyone around me thought I was nuts for getting back on the bike so soon, but I bet you understand.
    4 days in a row now, and let me say: never has a sunrise on a bicycle been so glorious in all my life.

Bring on winter!
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    light toque unde the helmet, fleece-backed leather "biker" kerchief for the neck, vest and sweater under rainshell, heavy nylon DH azonic pants, hit the roads early cause all the excess gear slows me down some.

funfunfun!

need java en route though, moving coffee cup holder (maybe just finish of fthe winter commuter build and start riding that) over during the weekend.

More than a little slow
    Check out a softshell jacket by any of your standard mountain wear/backpacking companies...
    Thanks Buddy, I've just spent the last two days surfing the net trying to decide which softshell to buy. ( )
    Cheers, Dave

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk
    Thanks Buddy, I've just spent the last two days surfing the net trying to decide which softshell to buy. ( )
    You'll be thanking me later (after you pay for it)... nothing better in my opinion. I'm kind of hoping I crash in mine soon so that I can rip it an buy another one. They are only getting better in terms of wind/rain protection and function, and mine's a few years old now.

Known Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    only 30 minutes when dry, more when wet/slippery, so I'll be trying to ride as much as I can this year.
    Helps to clear the noggin before I get to work too.

Down to -10 celsius is easy, past -20 gets really hard, more because of driver hurry (read: not paying attention and not expecting cyclists).
    (between -10 and -20 is a toss-up depending on personal factors )

We'll be above -20 most of the time this year but quite frankly, when I see a windchill wanting of -47 degrees I just bundle up and suffer on public transport!
    Tires seem way more damaged at the end of a season, between the temperature shifts, the salt damage, and getting to sit outside in the snow all day while I'm at work... sure it's not good for them.

EDIT: so shortly after reading through several of these "winter commuting" threads I got the urge to make myseld a nice mint tea with honey... which bring me to a question, I've jury-rigged a coffee cup holder on my bars, anyone else have good suggestions for warm fluid intake while riding?
    I've heard that you can fill a camelback with hot coffee (or whatever) and there's an insulatable tube covering or something, anyone know how well it works below -20 celsius?
    any home-brewed solutions?

To keep the fluid from freezing in your tube, blow the liquid almost back into the bladder and keep the bite valve tucked behind the shoulder strap.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The Pearl Izumi AmFIB tights got a good test on Friday...they work great! I was in a good solid rain for 44 minutes/13 miles and my legs and feet were dry and not at all sweaty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I commuted everyday for two and a half years. I wore SPD sandals every day. Ok, that was in Hawaii, not really a good comparison.

Now I am in the PNW and my commute is 1 hour twenty minutes each way. I bought a Showers Pass Elite jacket and Specialized Defroster MTB shoes last year. I can do most days unless it is below freezing. The first ten/last ten miles of my commute is on a rural two lane road. No ice or snow for me. I have some nice Descente gloves, polypro beanie, and some polypro tights plus a pair of AMPHIBs. The AMPHIBs just get too warm on my long commute. Maybe I will invest in some rainpants this year.

oh crap...

As you wished...

That will be a very sweet set-up. Please do post pics.

The frame and wheel set were both bought used here on the classifieds and I got the rest of the parts from my LBS. Thanks to you all!

I also have a pair of Nokian Extreme 294's (studded) for when the snow starts falling and this wheel set will be swapable with my other 29er which I use for single track. Looking forward to ice and snow! This will be my first time with studded tires which are this aggressive...had some regular 35c on the CX bike but 2.1's should be fun!

SS right now but will switch to Fixed when the snow falls and the Nokians are on.
    Grow some food for yourself.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I get real lucky here in the Sf Bay Area. It rarely gets lower than 30 in the winter and absolutely no snow. Rain isn't much of an issue for me either. Some people go to great lengths to stay dry, but it doesn't bother me. My body heat and the heat indoors usually dries me off fairly quick. also, we get most of our storms from the tropics, so it gets warm and humid here when it rains. I get heated up very quickly, so I have to wear a thin layer of clothes anyway, even when it's cold out.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerfrederico

The frame and wheel set were both bought used here on the classifieds and I got the rest of the parts from my LBS. Thanks to you all!

I also have a pair of Nokian Extreme 294's (studded) for when the snow starts falling and this wheel set will be swapable with my other 29er which I use for single track. Looking forward to ice and snow! This will be my first time with studded tires which are this aggressive...had some regular 35c on the CX bike but 2.1's should be fun!

SS right now but will switch to Fixed when the snow falls and the Nokians are on.
    I don't know how long your commute is but since i own a pair of 294's i can tell you that i wouldn't want to ride 20 miles plus each morning like i do without gears. Guess i am a wuss.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinkly
    I don't know how long your commute is but since i own a pair of 294's i can tell you that i wouldn't want to ride 20 miles plus each morning like i do without gears. Guess i am a wuss.
    I have a dingle setup on my commuter fixed gear. When the snow is deep I'll switch to the other ratio. I'm in good shape so I can spin for a long time and climb the steeps in the big ratio with relative ease, or at least faster than any of the local roadies.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I'm in good shape so I can spin for a long time and climb the steeps in the big ratio with relative ease, or at least faster than any of the local roadies.
    The local roadies:

HTFU and Ride
    supposed to be 33 when i depart tomorrow (friday morning) at 5AM-ish. coldest day yet. i will be rocking the wigwams, tights, couple jerseys, neoprene gloves, windbreaker and vest on my 12 mile commute. glad i can take a nice hot shower at work!
    Winter is coming.

oh crap...
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinkly
    The majority of my commuting is around town...multiple 4 mile round trips usually 2-3 times a day. I do have a 12 mile round trip commute most days as well, but only one hill, which is on the way home. I think I'll be able to handle it. If not, that's what I've got the CX bike for.
    Grow some food for yourself.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    This is the time of the year to find out who the true crazy riders are. Yesterday morning in Denver it was mid 30's and dark when I left to work and I was happy. Happy knowing that soon it will be dark riding in to work and riding home. Happy to know soon I'll have to put fenders on the cross bike for the winter. Happy to know I have new thermal tights I bought on 1/2 price in May for the winter.

I think the best ride of the year is the first snow ride in the snow, be it on the dirt, or just commuting to/from work. I can't wait.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

fux
    Scooterist
    I commute all year. Only 10 miles along the coast road here, in southern Norway.

I took some pictures one beutiful morning when the sun had finaly started to show up on my 05.00 ride. It was -21 celcius and I had nokia studded tires.

Awfull mobile phone pictures...

I am sorry to say that the poor trek didn`t make it all the way to spring. The salt and lack of mudguards killed the drivetrain and spokes erroded and snapped.

The fork died too, so this years commuter has full mudguards, innboard gears and ridgid fork.
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerfrederico
    This year I'm building my dream commuter...Karate monkey, fixed gear, cascadia fenders, swapable wheelset with my other 29er, BB7's, big apples for the non-winter months, and nokian extreme 294's for snow and ice but with the ability to swap to regular mountain tread with the regular 29er wheelset if snow and ice melt away for a week or two.

I'll post photos when I've got it built, two weeks or so. Running tomicogs on my SS hubs. Probably run 36/17
    That is hawt. I'm really liking the look. What bars are those?

I Ride for Donuts
    You'll be thanking me later (after you pay for it)... nothing better in my opinion. I'm kind of hoping I crash in mine soon so that I can rip it an buy another one. They are only getting better in terms of wind/rain protection and function, and mine's a few years old now.

In case you missed my other thread, I jinxed myself with this post and I DID crash in my softshell, and completely destroyed it. It melted from skidding down the road (and so did a large chunk of my shoulder).

Anyway I replaced it with a Mountain Hardwear 'Synchro' softshell. It almost made the wreck worth it. Windproof/Waterproof, incredibly warm and incredibly light and stretchy. It was designed as an ice climbing jacket, so the sleeves are really long for reaching up over your head (perfect for riding position). Tons of great features...I can't wait to ride through the winter in this thing. If you're shopping, you gotta check one of these out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fux
    I commute all year. Only 10 miles along the coast road here, in southern Norway.

I took some pictures one beutiful morning when the sun had finaly started to show up on my 05.00 ride. It was -21 celcius and I had nokia studded tires.

Awfull mobile phone pictures...

I am sorry to say that the poor trek didn`t make it all the way to spring. The salt and lack of mudguards killed the drivetrain and spokes erroded and snapped.

The fork died too, so this years commuter has full mudguards, innboard gears and ridgid fork.
    Those are beautiful photos

I commute all winter too. You hardcore people will probably like this photo story of one day's commute: http://www.mechbgon.com/commute

My feet can't stay warm below 10F even with Specialized Defroster shoes, thick wool socks and thick neoprene booties with plastic bags inside, so I might try heated socks this winter. Does anyone know of any high-quality heated socks they'd recommend?

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast