Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Logistics of Commuting

For those of you who regularly commute, how do you deal with the logistics.

Such as:
    1. Helmet head
    2. Sweat
    3. Rain/inclement weather
    4. Lunch
    5. Getting clothes/shoes messed up

Looking forward to the feedback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    1) Bandana over the hair. I have long hair and keep it back 99% of the time, so this is a no brainer for me. With shorter hair, I would pack a bristle brush.

2) Change o' clothes in the pack. Stuff doesn't wrinkle if you roll it up as opposed to folding.

3) Fenders and rain gear. I have Craft rain pants that I like greatly (a bit warm when it's not cold/cool out, but functional) and a light waterproof shell jacket for the top in the spring/summer, and a water/windproof in the fall/winter. I usually don't worry about my head getting wet, but if you do, they make helmet covers that look like they would work.

4) Bring it packed up in a leak-proof container or buy it. Up to you how to work it, both have done well for me. You can also consider making a run on your day off to bring in lunches for a couple of days/the week if you don't want to carry it every day or buy.

5) I don't wear my work clothes on my bike, I change when I get in to work. Your mileage may vary depending on the footwear you are required to wear, but I can easily fit a change of clothes and a small pair of canvas shoes in my camelbak. I also wear an 8.5/42 shoe, so you could have more trouble than I do.

Now bear in mind with all of this stuff, that I have never commuted less than 10 miles one way. Depending on the weather/distance/riding position, I'm sure you could wear your required uniform without issue, but I couldn't. Not enough seat in the pants, if you catch my drift.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    1. Helmet head - I don't wear one, and I shave my head anyway
    2. Sweat - I'm a baker, so sweat really isn't an issue, with my arms in and out of 500 degree bread ovens all day, but I keep extra work shirts and whatnot at work, as well as deodorant
    3. Rain/inclement weather - I just man up and deal. Fenders all year long on my surly anyways
    4. Lunch - work in a bistro, so don't have to worry about it
    5. Getting clothes/shoes messed up - just cuff my pants

mtbr member
    Some good insight. Thank you for your replies.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm lazy, so I don't bother planning my daily clothing selection. I also need my truck at work, so I drive in Monday morning with a week's worth of clothes in a duffel bag. I ride home in the afternoon with the dirty clothes I wore that day in my pack, and I ride to work in the morning with my lunch in the pack. By the end of the week the duffel bag is empty, and I can either roll it up and stuff it into my pack or drive home. This lets me wear "real" cycling clothes instead of work clothes on my rides, so I have no reason to avoid piling on the mileage - it's 8 miles via the shortest possible paved route, but in the afternoon I can take a number of different routes home and spend as much as five hours on the bike. When it rains, I ride the bike with the fenders and keep a towel at work to dry off when I arrive. The towel and rain gear get draped over the bike to dry during the work day. In the afternoon, if it's raining hard enough to make me worry about getting squished by a car due to poor visibility, I'll wuss out and drive home. Good luck in finding a method that works for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    1. Helmet head
    My hair is fairly short, a bit longer than crew cut so I can usually just flatten or straiten it out with my hands. If I feel like styling it, I have a jar of Gatsby green I can use at my desk.

2. Sweat
    My commute is only 4mi or so and I do wear a backpack. I bring a t-shirt and collared in the bag. I do not have a place to change other than public bathroom so bathroom it is.

Bus typically...they won't give me bicycle commuter benefit but I cannot get them to stop giving me bus money... I asked only for 1 quarter of benefits for the winter.

4. Lunch
    Leftovers in a Pyrex container in my bag. I eat out maybe once or twice every two weeks for lunch and use the bike. Closest good restaurants are 3/4mi away - a quick trip by bike. I also have some frozen stuff at work like frozen rice, frozen sausage, frozen veggie mix (6lb bag of broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower), some frozen chicken breast nuggets, S&P and garlic powder. I also have some frozen bagels and peanut butter.

I fold up my clothes nicely, or try to at least and they don't get wrinkled much, but my ride is only 20 minutes. Shoes, leave a pair or two at work and forget carrying those things. Them things are heavy and awkward to carry. I wear ankle boots some with safety toe. If you must carry shoes, the easiest way I've found was to lash them to the outside of my bag. No bungees, I don't like them things. Straps like these are awesome for lashing stuff to backpacks if you have random loops and such on the outside. Straps at REI - Free shipping on orders of $50 or more

Looking forward to the feedback.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Great ideas from everyone. I have a lot to consider, but a change of clothes at the office sounds right on. It'll be a very short 2 mile commute so I think I can even ride home for lunch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Are you riding up hill? I'm wondering how sweat and changing becomes a concern on a 2mi ride. I start to sweat the last mile of my ride into work, but that last mile is, on average, an 8% grade with some sections around 15%.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    1. Helmet head
    2. Sweat
    I have a hot shower at each end of my commute :-)

4. Lunch
    I carry a packed lunch most days in a small lunchbox in my backpack.

I keep my work shirts and trousers in a drawer at work as they are too heavy and bulky to carry every day. I'll normally change bring them home on Friday and take clean gear in on Monday. My work shoes stay at work full-time.

My commute is 19km each way so I want to make it as light as possible.

1. Helmet head
    run my head under the faucet when I get into the office.
    2. Sweat
    keep deodorant and baby wipes in my office
    I am mostly a fair weather rider. I don't mind the rain, but I do mind the lightning. It rarely rains here without lightning, so I check the forecast and go from there.
    4. Lunch
    I keep a selection of microwaveable lunch items and refrigeratable fruits and veggies in my office for this. I can also order Jimmy Johns delivery if I feel like it.
    I don't have a problem here, as I just wear whatever. I'm a lowly graduate student, so I'm expected to look like a bum, anyway. However, when I need to look nice, I bring extra clothes.

I'm wondering how sweat and changing becomes a concern on a 2mi ride.
    My commute is 4mi long, and I do build up a sweat by the time I reach the halfway point most of the time. I also live in Texas, and I don't commute much in the dead of summer because I don't like the heat. The logistics of changing clothes with such a short commute are a pain, though. I did it for awhile, but I got tired of it. It is a good idea to bring a week's worth of clothes on Monday and bring home the dirty stuff daily. I don't have a good place to keep extra clothes in my office currently, though. If I had a longer commute, it'd be worth paying for a permanent locker at the gym on campus, and keeping all my clothes there, and using the showers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    1. Helmet head - I shower before I leave and my hair is still wet when I get to the office. I keep styling gel and a towel at work to fix it before starting work.
    2. Sweat - baby wipes, deodorant, bird bath in the bathroom sink.
    3. Rain/inclement weather - I live in southern California. It doesn't rain enough to be bothered with fenders, so I just deal with the light rain days, and drive the 5 days a year it is stormy enough to worry about it.
    4. Lunch - cafe in the building, and plenty of options to walk to. I've earned it.
    5. Getting clothes/shoes - I practically keep a full wardrobe at work. I bring dry cleaned shirts and slacks every other week with at garment bag pannier that folds over the rack. I carry fresh socks, underwear and undershirts evey few days in my regular laptop bag. Shoes just stay at work, unless I need to rotate a pair out.

It is a shame that my building does not have a shower. They ripped them out a few years ago before I got there when doing a bathroom renovation.

Something else to consider is what to do with your sweaty clothes. Hanging them in your office or cubicle may not go over that well with coworkers. I hang them up in a storage closet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Belatu View Post

Something else to consider is what to do with your sweaty clothes. Hanging them in your office or cubicle may not go over that well with coworkers. I hang them up in a storage closet.
    Ugh...I remember before I biked to work, I walked by the cubicle of a bike commuter and I nearly puked because of the smell. He had his riding clothes on a hanger hanging from one of the panels.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by jseko View Post
    Ugh...I remember before I biked to work, I walked by the cubicle of a bike commuter and I nearly puked because of the smell. He had his riding clothes on a hanger hanging from one of the panels.
    Heh, I have a bathroom/shower in my office. So much better the last workplace; sitting and waiting to stop sweating before changing...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiah View Post

Such as:
    1. Helmet headI leave the house with my hair slightly wet, I just brush it out when I get to work
    2. SweatI leave the house slightly wet from my shower, I just wipe off at work
    3. Rain/inclement weatherI have several get ups that range from rain to warm to -35C I just pick one and ride.
    4. LunchI go to the downtown grocery store and by stuff we have a frig at work
    5. Getting clothes/shoes messed upI leave a pair of shoes at the office and a pair at home I wear bike shoes when riding

Clothes can be left at work and sent out for cleaning....No need to carry a computer now adays at most a stick will work...

I Ride for Donuts
    1. Helmet head
    I have a thin beanie that isn't hot...I wear it in the mornings under the helmet. I keep the hair pretty short and the beanie prevents helmet head. On the way home I don't care about helmet head.

2. Sweat
    The only thing I wear on the bike that I also wear at work is (occasionally) socks. Sweat comes off with the biking clothes and a wipe-down when I get to work.

There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. The right gear makes ALL the difference. Spend way too much on cold weather/snow/rain gear and you'll never regret it.

4. Lunch
    I carry one to work daily in the backpack. Tupperware-type containers keep stuff from getting crushed, but are bulky. Usually worth it.

I bike in bike clothes and work in work clothes. Work clothes stay at work and get swapped out every week or two when I'm near work with the car.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I have an 8-10 mile commute in to work (I set my own hours so sometimes if I'm feeling good I'll ride a little farther and loop back to the office)

1. Helmet head
    First stop into the bathroom and rinse my head, face, arms, and neck off with water. Use a towel in my bag to dry off - paper towels make you smell like cardboard. Also, wipe off the counter so you minimize your bathroom mess.

2. Sweat
    I shower before I ride (and apply deodorant), rinse most of the fresh sweat off in the bathroom but use baby wipes to kill the bacteria on my skin (which is where the bad smells come from). When I change I bring my box of baby wipes into the changing room to wipe my entire body off (navy shower). Fresh deodorant before I get changed.

If it's going to rain coming home from work, no biggie, if it's already raining in the morning I might walk to the train station (5-10 min walk from my house then ends across the street from my office) or drive.

4. Lunch
    Screw-on lid tupperware, wrapped in an old grocery bag. Most of the time I'll ride the train once a week with lunch for the entire week.

Roll clothes carefully if you have to bring them with you. Leave shoes at the office. Always leave a spare pair of underwear/socks/undershirt at the office. I normally bring several freshly ironed shirts in to the office on a train/driving day.

Basically, I will bring in food and clothes for a week or so in on the train or car to minimize my load on the bike. I hang my clothes up in my office and havent received complaints yet about the smell.

Noob!
    Such as:
    1. Helmet head- I leave gel and a comb at my office
    2. Sweat- I sweat a lot. A lot! Luckily I have a shower and on my floor at work
    3. Rain/inclement weather- I look at the forecast and dont ride when it will rain out
    4. Lunch- I have many places nearby to walk to for lunch. If I rode out, I would sweat
    5. Getting clothes/shoes messed up. I have brought 3 days worth of clothes in as my supply. I do this usually on Friday or on weekends by car

My real hassle are 2 big hills on my route. Cant avoid them and the way home is steeper. I deal with it. With the ability to shower at work, they are no big deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Heh, I have a bathroom/shower in my office. So much better the last workplace; sitting and waiting to stop sweating before changing...
    We had a shower and day use lockers (in the hallway outside the restrooms) in the office as well as indoor bike racks.

I do not know if the guy got used to his own smell or what, but it was horribly repulsive even from as much as 2 or 3 meters away from his cubicle.

Human Test Subject
    1. Helmet head
    Crew cut. 4 on top, 1.5 on the sides.

2. Sweat
    I don't ever ride in cotton. Wool or polyester. I wipe down with paper towels at work, but have access to showers. I work in a jail so no matter how hard I ride I'll still smell better than inmates.

O2 rain coat and a ton of cold weather gear for riding in MN winters. Haven't driven to work in about 8 months this streak.

4. Lunch
    Free food is provided because I can't leave the facility. But if I had to, I'd bring food in my trunk bag. I love that thing.

I change into my uniform here. If I wasn't able to, I would probably wear merino wool everything. Commuter Boy is right. Invest in clothes. I ride and work in the same socks, undershirt, and underwear. Right now Pearl Izumi merino wool socks and Under Armour other stuffs.

mtbr member

Such as:
    1. Helmet head
    2. Sweat
    4. Lunch

Helmet head/sweat - I'm lucky enough to be able to take a shower at work.

Rain - as I ride in cycling clothes I just drape them around the office to dry. Fortunately my colleagues accept this

Lunch - again I'm lucky enough that we have a restaurant at work and plenty of sandwich bars close by.

Clothes - I keep a suit, shoes and chinos at the office so just need to take in shirt and underwear; again I'm lucky enough to have a store nearby for those days that I get muddled
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012

Such as:
    1. Helmet head
    2. Sweat
    4. Lunch

#1. I have short hair, I just wet it and comb it into place when I get to work.
    #2. Its cooler in the morning when I head into work, so I try not to work too hard. I don't sweat that much if I don't work myself that hard. It helps that I'm in shape so a nice 10mph to 15mph ride is like a brisk walk to me.
    #3. I don't ride during rain or inclement weather
    #4. Walk to lunch
    #5. Buy wrinkle free cloths and roll them up and pack them in my backpack with my laptop and such. Change into them when I get to work

Good luck and have fun riding.

mtbr member
    I started doing it this week and it was a nightmare yesterday as I forgot my undershirt, etc. Today was infinitely better and as I build a routine, I think it will continue to improve. Getting all of these ideas helps a lot though. Keep em comin

Moderator Moderator
    1. Helmet head just a little water and run my fingers through my hair.

2. Sweat I leave a washcloth and small towel at work and wash up critical areas before changing. I do this in what used to be an executive washroom, so there is privacy. I am able to leave a travel ditty with soap, toothpaste, etc. in a cabinet under the sink.

3. Rain/inclement weather in addition to a rain jacket, on rainy days I bring spares of 2 small but hard-2-dry items: socks and gloves. A spare pair of shorts left at work has come in handy also. Unless its quite cold I just wear bike shorts/nylon baggies on the lower half as Id rather be wet than overheated.

4. Lunch I leave a jar of peanut butter at work and bring bread or crackers, an apple and 2 cookies 90% of the time. I also arrive early and bring something for breakfast (cereal/milk, banana, or frozen leftover pancakes/French toast) after the ride in (I do try to have a slice of toast at home).

5. Getting clothes/shoes messed up I keep work clothes and shoes (& work boots) at work except for socks/underwear, which I bring back and forth daily in my pack. You know that desk drawer for files? Its full of clothes. The used bike clothes I hang from the side of a bookshelf (with magnetic clips) to air out. No stink so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    1. nothing, i have short hair.
    2. i wipe my brow and sometimes my temples.
    3. wear a rainjacket and rain pants and gloves, take them off when i get to work.
    4. i bring my lunch. how else is it going to get there?
    5. my work is casual anyways, nothing to do that's special but I keep dry socks and a pressed shirt at work just in case I forget a meeting with a Minister of something or other.

it's really not that hard, unless you need a suit for work you're over-thinking it by even calling it "logistics"
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Teen Wolf
    1. Helmet head
    I keep my hair short, and run it under the faucet at work. Dry with a towel.
    2. Sweat
    Deodorant before and after the ride, also some body spray.
    Drive if it's terrible out, otherwise fenders.
    4. Lunch
    Bring it in my bag, resealable containers that don't leak.
    I roll my clothes when I put them in my bag, helps keep the wrinkles to a minimum. Bring shoes on Monday, leave them there all week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast