Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Graphic Designer

Locks, cables, and whatnot

So...I'm going to be going a few places where I need a lock setup. I don't need one now because I park inside my work, plenty of room and only about 5 people work here.

The thing is, I see all the locks I want to get on youtube, being picked in 5 seconds or so. That doesn't make me feel so great. I know you should use a U lock and a chain / cable, but a lot I see are combinations, so if they popped the U lock, they would be releasing the cable as well.

My girlfriend and I will be biking in a few larger cities (DC, Baltimore, etc.) and I need to pick something up. I was liking the Kryptonite ones, but like I said, I saw those picked on YouTube in no time flat, plus they look crazy heavy...

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    'Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.'
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wiretapstudios
    So...I'm going to be going a few places where I need a lock setup. I don't need one now because I park inside my work, plenty of room and only about 5 people work here.

The thing is, I see all the locks I want to get on youtube, being picked in 5 seconds or so. That doesn't make me feel so great. I know you should use a U lock and a chain / cable, but a lot I see are combinations, so if they popped the U lock, they would be releasing the cable as well.

My girlfriend and I will be biking in a few larger cities (DC, Baltimore, etc.) and I need to pick something up. I was liking the Kryptonite ones, but like I said, I saw those picked on YouTube in no time flat, plus they look crazy heavy...

As u say.. Any lock is useless if u encounter a pro bike theft. Do u know what is way to avoid theft? By making yr bic inattractive and best. Get a less popular brand.

But I will suggest a stainless steel chain and lock. Best in terms of security and weight ratio!

mtbr member
    The new Kryptonites with the "regular" keys and not the cylindrical ones are not easy to pick.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The Kryptonite problem has been cured, last I heard anyways. As said, any lock is null and void to a pro bike thief, and a pro bike thief isn't going to steal your bike if it's next to a better-looking/ more expensive bike.

Everyday bike thieves are see a Kryptonite lock and cry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The higher end Kryptonites have an insurance policy attached, so they will pay you up to a certain amount for the value of your bike. Just don't get a lock with a cylindrical key.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    The higher end Kryptonites have an insurance policy attached, so they will pay you up to a certain amount for the value of your bike. Just don't get a lock with a cylindrical key.
    I heard filling out the insurance stuff is a hassle and you have to present the "broken" Kryptonite, but then again, I could be wrong (heard it from a different forum).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I answer this question all the time here on the forums.

Kryptonite NY Faghettaboudit U-Lock
    Kryptonite NY Faghettaboudit 3'3" chain with U-Lock

Heavy? Hells Yeah!!! But then again, so is the penalty of a stolen bike. Actually, my locks weigh more than my bike.

Graphic Designer
    Cool thanks for the responses, I was leaning towards the Kryptonite, but I just was curious what had and hadn't worked.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The Faghettaboudits are different from the regular series. Max protection and as far as I know, virtually unpickable.

mtbr member

LCI #1853
    Quote Originally Posted by wiretapstudios

Most of the YouTube videos feature the old style locks with the circular keys. Some of these are still in circulation, but the current series of Kryptonite locks use flat keys which are derned hard to pick.

Get one of the Series 3000 New York Locks, or the Fuhgeddaboudit in either the U-lock or New York Chain version. All three use flat keys, and just flat intimidating to the average bike thief. Yes, they are crazy heavy... my New York Chain weighs the same as my whole road bike, and the U-lock is about 4.6 pounds, but singly or in tandem, they keep my bike parked where I left it.

Doesn't take but one time to have your $2000 ride ripped off to see the wisdom in investing in the most bad-assed lock you can find.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you don't want to drop the $80 or so that the Krypto New York shackle costs, most tests I have read put the OnGuard Bulldog a close second. It is pretty much as strong against non-powered attacks but does not hold up very long against powered cutting tools. The Krypto New York lock took like 10 minutes to cut through with a battery powered drill motor and a cutting wheel whereas the OnGuard only lasted about 18 seconds. If you think you have serious pro bike thieves in your area, then shell out the extra dough for the Kryptonite. Then, park your bike somewhere in the open where someone would be stupid to sit there cutting on it for 10 minutes.

Myself...I got the OnGuard because I live in a relatively safe town and my bike is old and not worth much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ScareyH22A
    I've seen pretty much every gooftube video on bike theft. Maybe you weren't paying attention enough to observe the types of locks/chains that were being so easily removed in the video, but I promise you that they were nowhere even in the same neighborhood as:

*18mm hardened MAX-Performance steel shackle resists bolt cutters and leverage attacks
    *Oversized hardened steel sleeve over crossbar for double security
    *Double deadbolt locking for extensive holding power
    *High security disc-style cylinder
    *Center keyway defends against leverage attacks

Used in combination with:

*11mm six-sided, chain links made of triple heated boron manganese steel for ultimate strength
    *Narrow inner width of individual links defends against leverage attacks.
    *Includes maximum security New York Disc Lock with 14mm MAX-Performance steel shackle:
    *Hardened steel sleeve over crossbar for double security

As I have stated before... I really don't worry about my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I leave my heavy chain and U-lock at the site where I park. Two types of locks make it arder for theives to penetrate and will likely pass. But this doesn't stop them from stealing your parts. Park at your own risk.

Graphic Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    The Krypto New York lock took like 10 minutes to cut through with a battery powered drill motor and a cutting wheel whereas the OnGuard only lasted about 18 seconds.
    Where, in a video?
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Is there any particular reason that combo u-locks are so scarce? Are they inherently more vulnerable?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WrenchDevil6
    I've seen pretty much every gooftube video on bike theft. Maybe you weren't paying attention enough to observe the types of locks/chains that were being so easily removed in the video, but I promise you that they were nowhere even in the same neighborhood as:

*18mm hardened MAX-Performance steel shackle resists bolt cutters and leverage attacks
    *Oversized hardened steel sleeve over crossbar for double security
    *Center keyway defends against leverage attacks

Used in combination with:

*11mm six-sided, chain links made of triple heated boron manganese steel for ultimate strength
    *Narrow inner width of individual links defends against leverage attacks.
    *Includes maximum security New York Disc Lock with 14mm MAX-Performance steel shackle:
    *Hardened steel sleeve over crossbar for double security

As I have stated before... I really don't worry about my bike.

I just thought it was a funny video. Anyways, I have the Kryptonite Noose with the NY Disc lock and I use it for my motorcycle. But for cycling? The **** weighs like 6 or 7 pounds. I think what people are looking for is a compromise between security and convenience. The 18mm Fahgettaboudit is a fantastic u-lock and I'm sure everyone agrees but how many people have you seen get their 13mm Evolution Mini cut? See?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
    Is there any particular reason that combo u-locks are so scarce? Are they inherently more vulnerable?
    I ran through all the combinations on a 4-digit combo lock in about 15-20 minutes one time. So, thief wants your bike, he sits down, and if anyone asks, he grins sheepishly and says he forgot the combination, and 15 minutes later, he has your bike, *and* your lock.

knock-knock...
    there are 9 options for each number, so the chance someone will guess it right is 1/9. same with the second through fourth number. so each chance someone guesses, they have a 1 in 9x9x9x9 chance of getting it right. thats one in 6561 chances of getting it correct. if someone was going through at a pace of one combo a second, it would take them 109.35 minutes. the probability that your combo the last one possible is pretty unlikely, so cut that 0 number down some. sorry to burst a bubble but i doubt you did every combo in 15 -20 minutes youngjim. thats doing 5.5 combos a second... it still is quite doable though for the persistent thief who has 1.5 hours to waste.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    8+ combos/sec if the lock has 0-9 rather than 1-9 (10k permutations in 20 min).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skottt160
    there are 9 options for each number, so the chance someone will guess it right is 1/9. same with the second through fourth number. so each chance someone guesses, they have a 1 in 9x9x9x9 chance of getting it right. thats one in 6561 chances of getting it correct. if someone was going through at a pace of one combo a second, it would take them 109.35 minutes. the probability that your combo the last one possible is pretty unlikely, so cut that 0 number down some. sorry to burst a bubble but i doubt you did every combo in 15 -20 minutes youngjim. thats doing 5.5 combos a second... it still is quite doable though for the persistent thief who has 1.5 hours to waste.
    I was on glue a bit, the one I brute-forced has 3 digits vice four, so it is in fact 10^3 permutations, not 10^4. However it is 10^number of digits, not 9^n, because there are 10 numbers, counting the zero, on each wheel. In any case, I wouldn't use a combination lock I wouldn't trust, when kryptonite is making some pretty meaningful keyed locks that I do trust. My 0.02 or so. Jim

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    This is complete BS. A lock with 3 different possible numbers has 1000 possible combinations. Remember math class guys? Its 10 x 10 x 10 = 1000. A lock with 4 different combinations has 10,000 possible combinations. That is 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 = 10,000.

Either way, no matter ho high you are, you are NOT going to go through 10,000 or even 1000 different combinations in 15 minutes. No way. I mean, come on. Did you have a friend write down every possible combination so you could remember the ones that didn't work?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bee
    This is complete BS. A lock with 3 different possible numbers has 1000 possible combinations. Remember math class guys? Its 10 x 10 x 10 = 1000. A lock with 4 different combinations has 10,000 possible combinations. That is 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 = 10,000.

Either way, no matter ho high you are, you are NOT going to go through 10,000 or even 1000 different combinations in 15 minutes. No way. I mean, come on. Did you have a friend write down every possible combination so you could remember the ones that didn't work?
    Please read my most recent post a little more carefully. 1000 combinations / 20 minutes = 50 combinations per minute. Try it if you don't believe me.

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by youngjim
    Please read my most recent post a little more carefully. 1000 combinations / 20 minutes = 50 combinations per minute. Try it if you don't believe me.

I don't think so dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bee
    I don't think so dude.
    Tap your finger on your desk once a second. Think you can turn a wheel on a combination lock at that rate? Probably. Anyway, this has become academic, so I will say no more on the subject.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast