mtbr member
    Aug 2006

locking the bike

Now that I am down in the big bad town...hmmm...rhymes ....anyway...I need to lock the bike from time to time. At present not more than a duck into the shops, but I figure I may as well buy right buy once.

Question 1: The D locks seem to be the "way to go" and the Kryptonite mini looks good from several reports. Comments?

Question 2: However, if there is not a nice neat 50mm steel post to anchor to, then how do I secure the bike?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Nick

mtbr member
    Go to home depot, but 2-3 feet of thick ass chain, and then go to ACE and buy a ACE branded American Padlock.

What It Be ?
    I just picked up an OnGuard U-lock that came with a cable on sale at Performance for 40$

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by mayuri
    Hi,
    Honestly, three U-locks is pretty excessive. I mean, my U-lock was $60, so that would be $180 just on locks (of course you might be choosing cheaper locks). Not to mention how heavy they are--do you really want to be carrying 3 heavy locks with you? I have a pretty decent bike that I've thrown several hundred dollars into, and I just use a cable lock and a mini U-lock. I lock the rear wheel through the rear triangle of the bike (which secures both the wheel and the frame) and use a cable lock to secure the front wheel (and since it's long enough, I also resecure the frame and rear wheel).
    I've read this thread through like three times - where does anyone say to get 3 locks
    I think you smell like a spammer

Make sense to build a bike?
    Make sense to build a bike?
    "I am talking about the older bikes. The girls bike has no bar from the seat to the front forks and steering mechanism but the boys bike does have that straight bar from the seat to the steering mechanism.

How does that make any sense. If the pedal slips or your foot comes off the pedal when you are trying to accelerate, I think the boy is the one who is going to get hurt right? I mean a good slip and having your jewels crushed isn't going to feel good. Why did they build bikes like that."
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Because guys are STRONG .....and girls are weak sissies

Seriously that was one reason: the other..REAL.... was how to mount a bike in a skirt.It just is not "lady-like" with that high bar and having to throw the leg over.. I do agree that my jewels wish that bike bars were lower although as you imply, that has changed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan
    Go to home depot, but 2-3 feet of thick ass chain, and then go to ACE and buy a ACE branded American Padlock.
    HAH! I have spent my days pulling tree stumps with a dozer, tractors and loader. I HAVE kick-ass chain....10 mm load chain.....by the bucket load. It's bloody heavy though and the padlock to match ....?.

Seriously, I have thought about either using what I have, or getting some thinner load chain. It is pretty impervious to any bolt cutter that you could just walk around with.

What's that in your trousers? Are you stealing bicycles or trying to scare me?

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick
    Because guys are STRONG .....and girls are weak sissies

Seriously that was one reason: the other..REAL.... was how to mount a bike in a skirt.It just is not "lady-like" with that high bar and having to throw the leg over.. I do agree that my jewels wish that bike bars were lower although as you imply, that has changed.
    What?

Anyway.

I would probably go with a u lock. You can usually find something to lock onto. Sometimes ive locked my bike onto street signs (The signpost). Where I lock up usually though, I'm lucky enough to have a rack.

If you think you'll be primarily locking up the same place most of the time, go check it out and see if it looks like there will be a place that is convenient to lock up at. If there isn't a place, you can look into getting a rope style bike specific lock. These will be cheaper, but generally provide slightly less protection. With these locks though, you could easily lock up around a tree. You won't really be limited as far as what you can lock up to.
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That's one clever spammer. Searching the text of his reply turns up this:
    http://bikelocks.org/?p=717

Searching for the post about girls bikes turns up this one:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1114030AALWAvr

It looks like the spammer is searching for stuff to rip off that's related enough that it might pass for legitimate content. If it's a script doing it, that's incredible. It might just be a person, though- probably too good for a script. As for the spam, notice the link in his signature is very spammy (I don't plan on clicking on it though).

How can I best alert a moderator about this guy? I think the situation is too complicated to explain in the little Report Bad Post box as it requires some explanation (though I can point to this post).
    Matt

~Disc~Golf~
    Looks like the links have been removed

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Looks like the links have been removed
    So we have a shorter chain? Sorry i am lost.

It looks to me as if I should just go to my insurance mob and ask what they think. Do I carry 2Kg of chain about against walking home maybe sometime?

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ the 'spammer's' links

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan
    terrible idea. Home Depot will have to cut that chain for you. if they can cut the chain, so can any bike thief.

oddly enough Wal-Mart sells a very tough-looking chain from Brinks that is case-hardened. I can't vouch for it, but it looks to be of the quality that is used in Kryto NY chains. the problem is that you have to put a lock on it, and the lock is the weak spot.

good old D-Lock (most call it a U-lock) is the way to go. I don't like messing with chains and they require a lock that can be compromised.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Home Depot has a hydraulic cutter for heavier chain, but I doubt they sell anything intended to be cut resistant. McMaster.com has some; part number 8949T35 is the heaviest cut resistant chain they have, but you can get up to .79" diameter in standard (non cut resistant) chain, part number 3587T18.

Of course if you want to be sure, go with this one:

http://www2.memenet.or.jp/kinugawa/english/hpe210.htm
    Matt

My Brain Hurts!
    I lock my bikes up every time I get off them, even to "run in for a minute" I bought a Coated cable lock from the LBS, made by Giant with a combination lock molded on. Seriously it will take quite a determined thief to get through that.

If I have to leave the bike for extended time or in a secluded type bike rack, I have 2 others. it takes a flippin moron to cut through 3 lock systems. They will just move to someone elses bike before fumbling with 3 cable systems. Carrying 1 -3 is easy. I just wear the one as a sling and put the two coiled ones in the bike bag.

The best defense is -
    1) don't leave your bike somewhere stupid
    2) make it very hard and time consuming to try and take your bike in the 1st place

But then this is in a perfect world...when I used to work (laid off) I put my bike in the vestibule to my office or in the warehouse/shipping dept in the place before that, locked of course.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby
    I lock my bikes up every time I get off them, even to "run in for a minute" I bought a Coated cable lock from the LBS, made by Giant with a combination lock molded on. Seriously it will take quite a determined thief to get through that.

If I have to leave the bike for extended time or in a secluded type bike rack, I have 2 others. it takes a flippin moron to cut through 3 lock systems. They will just move to someone elses bike before fumbling with 3 cable systems. Carrying 1 -3 is easy. I just wear the one as a sling and put the two coiled ones in the bike bag.

The best defense is -
    1) don't leave your bike somewhere stupid
    2) make it very hard and time consuming to try and take your bike in the 1st place

But then this is in a perfect world...when I used to work (laid off) I put my bike in the vestibule to my office or in the warehouse/shipping dept in the place before that, locked of course.

I hope by coated you mean armored, like this:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...ck/1291/33684/

Around here (downtown in a major city), regular cable locks are not good enough as theives will cut right through them, even in busy areas with lots of people. If they can't cut it all at once, they will slowly snip away at the cable. Braided cables slow them down, but they probably can't cut armored cables, and I don't know of U-locks commonly being cut.
    Matt

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by m85476585
    I hope by coated you mean armored, like this:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...ck/1291/33684/

Around here (downtown in a major city), regular cable locks are not good enough as theives will cut right through them, even in busy areas with lots of people. If they can't cut it all at once, they will slowly snip away at the cable. Braided cables slow them down, but they probably can't cut armored cables, and I don't know of U-locks commonly being cut.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...ck/1291/33337/

This is the one I use. And you are correct in a big city thingd might be different for me. I used to live in Milwaukee (most of my life) and used a big link chain with a pvc coating. Never had a locked bike swiped in my life....

I would certainly be using an armored cable if conditions were different.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...ck/1291/33337/

This is the one I use. And you are correct in a big city thingd might be different for me. I used to live in Milwaukee (most of my life) and used a big link chain with a pvc coating. Never had a locked bike swiped in my life....

I would certainly be using an armored cable if conditions were different.
    A 'lock' like that is just to easy to defeat - save that one for quick in-n-outs (beer run) or hope that all bike thieves (regardless of where you live) are extremely lazy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    What's this about Pole Skiing? This a mountain forum not a mounting forum.

I tried to report the previous post but the whole deal fell over: even trying to report the report fall over fell over.