Thread: Lock storage

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Lock storage

So I haven't found anything in the forums which quite answers my question. What do people here do to store their locks while riding? I have a kryptonite evolution with cable. It comes with a bracket for mounting, but I'm not having much luck figuring out where to place it. I have a bag in the triangle of my frame, so it can't go there. I tried it on the front fork (rigid fork.) but it slid down and made a bit of a mess (I was apprehensive about this approach from the beginning, thankfully no damage though.) I tried along the back of the frame as well, but my foot kept grazing it then. I finally settled on bungeeing it to my rear rack, but it's annoying having to reposition it whenever I want to attach my backpack or whatever. Anything clever (or obvious) that I'm missing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I keep mine in my pannier bag, or a backpack when commuting. I also keep one locked to the place I store it at work, to save travelling with it.

Bikeoholic
    Currently I have a bulldog mini so its not so big. I also had some issues with the factory mounting option. Right now it goes locked around my seatstays and bungeed to my rack so it doens't rattle. If you have a bag in the triangle why not toss it in there and get some bags for your rear rack.
    -Palek
    Ride Today...
    ...You might not be able to tomorrow

BIG and Bald
    Wrap it around the top tube or go this way...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmadrigal/2430983024/
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just keep mine in my messenger bag. I have a dew deluxe and really didn't like the way the lock fit, It either hit my leg or clanked the frame. Once I put a rack on I might attach it there.

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kjm2664
    I keep mine in my pannier bag, or a backpack when commuting. I also keep one locked to the place I store it at work, to save travelling with it.
    ditto
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Locks do add weight though - especially if you're being extra careful......
    Attached Images Attached Images

LCI #1853
    Kryptonite 300 New York Lock here... it slips under the little elastic spider web on top of my rack trunk, and I'll make a loop around one of the bar ends to keep it from sliding out. Key rides on my key chain, with a spare in a trunk side pocket.

I also have a New York Chain that I carry from time to time, depending what part of town I'm in... I add a mountain-climbing carabiner between the U-lock and a free end of the chain, and wear it like a belt - clipping it on and off with the carabiner.

mtbr member
    Kryptonite NY300: I use a messenger bag and place the 'bar' of the lock in the lowest part of the bag when worn- I do this because the bar is the heaviest part of the lock and weight in this corner of my bag feels better. The 'U' part of the lock is placed wherever it fits best with whatever I'm carrying.

You can go the fixster/messenger route and get a U-lock Holster with/without its own belt (depending on what you wear). Haven't tried them though.

Personally I'd never mount a lock to the frame.

When did you get here?!?!
    I bungee my U-Lock to the rear rack. So far that's the only use I've found for the rack! (I've got a basket up front)
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG