mtbr member

Local bicyclist seriously injured after hit and run

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...ICLE/131109789

Prayers for her and her family, and for the motorist to be brought to justice.

I'm familiar with the area. It's part of my daily commute. It can be a bit hairy at times, especially due to some new construction going on at that intersection. Be safe out there, folks.

mtbr member
    "Bicyclist critical after Manatee hit-and-run"

They let Manatees Drive? Oh! I see. Manatee County. Visualizing a manatee as the driver did not work! Hopefully they can find the vehicle getting repaired.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The cops face a dilemma when investigating this type of crime...

Adversting for information, but not closing the case results in the populace believing that hit and run is easy to get away with.

On the other hand not advertising for information may ensure the case remains unsolved.

Cameras at intersections, especially ones that can be dangerous for cyclists maybe the only real answer.

Since bike cameras will rarely provide any info in cases like these.

mtbr member
    ^^ My helmet cam would have allowed the vehicle make and model to be known, but unless I got a lucky fall like the guys did with one hit and run where they caught the plate, I suspect you are right. We would need a rear pointed black box camera to catch the plate *if* your state or province has front plates. Indiana doesn't.

mtbr member

Local bicyclist seriously injured after hit and run

Neither does Florida. However, the accident wasn't at an intersection, but a half block shy. It was a little weird today seeing a pedal lying in the road today, at the scene of the accident.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Terrible news, hopefully they catch the perpetrator. Any news on whether she will recover?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    .. It was a little weird today seeing a pedal lying in the road today, at the scene of the accident.
    Oh geez..that would be unsettling...hang in there, and hope the cyclist that was hit is improving.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Prayers for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    1:40AM. Makes one wonder about various factors: alcohol, reflective gear, lights. One of my co-workers reported that his daughter was similarly hit-&-run in the dark. Her bike has a rear light, but its battery ran out and she hadn't addressed that.

Anyway, let's hope for some justice. With the car that damaged, it's going to be more difficult to get away with it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^^ My helmet cam would have allowed the vehicle make and model to be known, but unless I got a lucky fall like the guys did with one hit and run where they caught the plate, I suspect you are right. We would need a rear pointed black box camera to catch the plate *if* your state or province has front plates. Indiana doesn't.
    Very unlikely it would I understand she was hit from behind therefore it is very unlikely that your helmet cam (if aimed forward) would catch anything of use since you would be flying through the air (or possibly already in the ditch) as the car or truck passed.

If your camera was aimed to the rear all that woudl be seen is two lights, or potentially nothing if the car or truck did not have the lights on.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Neither does Florida. However, the accident wasn't at an intersection, but a half block shy. It was a little weird today seeing a pedal lying in the road today, at the scene of the accident.
    I believe with todays tech a properly set up cam system at the intersection could provide signifcant information to the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I believe with todays tech a properly set up cam system at the intersection could provide signifcant information to the cops.
    Knowing the rough timing of the accident, cops could go back to the footage looking for the vehicle that matched the missing parts.

mtbr member
    Very unlikely it would I understand she was hit from behind therefore it is very unlikely that your helmet cam (if aimed forward) would catch anything of use since you would be flying through the air (or possibly already in the ditch) as the car or truck passed.
    I said you'd have to be lucky. So what's your point? You have to be very very lucky?

I tried to find the YouTube video of two cyclists where the fallen rear one still gets a clear shot to the license plate, but gave up the effort. I can attest that getting a nice camera shot is not on your mind as you face plant. We are both saying you can't count on a helmet cam to tell you much.

If your camera was aimed to the rear all that would (sic) be seen is two lights, or potentially nothing if the car or truck did not have the lights on.
    Assumes no street lights or a very poor low-light camera. I have some video to run. This will be interesting to see how much a decent low light camera can pick up under lit and non-lit conditions. They tend to drop frame rate leading to fuzzy pictures:

There is nothing like having actual data to back or refute opinions. My guess based on past videos is that without street lights, you are right. A lit street may not be enough in itself. It may require the car/truck being under a light before but not too long before the incident for a rear facing camera to give you much at night.

mtbr member
    Trying to learn form a fellow cyclists experience. I hope she is better.

It is going to depend *a lot* on how good the low light capabilities are to ID a plate at night even in a lit up area. The camera used is not as good under low light as mine is, but you can't read the plate here in part because he did not take a straight look and he was too upset to read then into the audio part of the recording. (An exceedingly effective way to record it.)

Given that contact with a 2 ton car driven by an impatient moron, is unwise, I think I would have slowed and got him by, since the high beam flash indicated his patience was strained. (Maybe the almost cut off around the bus contributed?) I would wait and not pass the two cyclists till he was by. This video does have the front and back views and a front plate is not readable. Also hooks have the vehicle at an angle where the plates are not visible. So the bike cameras can help, but it is a bit of a crap shoot after dark.