mtbr member
    Nov 2005

light disc compatible rear cargo rack

Hey any suggestions for a light(est) disc compatible cargo rack? I am aware of many brands, but did not want to make a spreadsheet of listed weights if someone knew which racks were generally lighter. I want something larger for cargo so I can stow bad weather gear mainly. I don't really carry much with me, but I have no room even for a jacket.

I do have mounting points on my Access 29er frame which I ride, but was thinking of changing to a different frame in the future that would not have mounting points. Either way though is good for suggestions.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm using the topeak tourist dx disc, which works great on my Chinese 29er with pipe clamps as attachment points. I think topeak makes a disc compatible called the explorer, which looks as if it's lighter.

mtbr member
    I'm also using the Tourist disc on a frame without mounting points, and it's great. But it sure looks like a tank.

I also have a Planet Bike versarack, which is apparently only 60g lighter than the Tourist? That surprises me, because the Tourist is a way better rack for only 60g.

And I briefly used one (can't remember which manufacturer) that had the bottom of the left leg be offset and adjustable to rotate around the disc caliper. I hated that style, and I don't think it would work well if you're using hoseclamps or pclamps.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I have a tubus airy on my disc commuter. You'll not get any lighter than that. You *could* strap cargo to it I suppose, but it's really setup to clip on a pannier.

Amazon.com: Tubus bike rack carrier Airy 26/28 titan: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

A twinkie bag is a good option

For bulky items that are not crazy heavy a twinkie bag is a really good option.

I use my twinkie for bike packing but it could also work for commuting.

The twinkie bag is the one behind the seat. The one I use is from Revelate Designs LLC

When I commute, I don't use any bags. The nice thing about wearing a backpack is that when you arrive at work you just lock the bike up and walk inside so it is very fast. Provided the load is light I prefer the backpack. The bike also handles better with a small backpack vs. having the same weight on the bike. I don't really buy in to the idea of racks. If it is more weight then a backpack load the twinkie bag would be my preference.
    Mark Farnsworth
    http://febikes.wordpress.com, Raleigh, NC

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty View Post
    Hey any suggestions for a light(est) disc compatible cargo rack? I am aware of many brands, but did not want to make a spreadsheet of listed weights if someone knew which racks were generally lighter. I want something larger for cargo so I can stow bad weather gear mainly. I don't really carry much with me, but I have no room even for a jacket.

I do have mounting points on my Access 29er frame which I ride, but was thinking of changing to a different frame in the future that would not have mounting points. Either way though is good for suggestions.

Thanks.
    I have the Axiom uni-fit MK3. I don't knwo the exact weight, but it's pretty damn light. Maybe not Tubus Airy light, but then again, it won't lighten your wallet like that one either! If you wanted to shed more grams, you could go with the MK2.

What I can tell you: It is quite light, rock solid, easy to get on/off and works well with my disc brake Salsa LaCruz. I have mine mounted through the quick release and to the brake bridge. You don't even have to have the brake bridge attachment, though, as they give you solid hardware to attach to seat stays as well. No P clamps needed.

It's a good product.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. @febikes generally I don't like backpacks b/c I get all sweaty that is why I was interested in a rack option. That twinkie thing is a good idea. I actually have an old seatpost rack from the past, but it doesn't fit my bike b/c the post I have now is to large for the clamp. I figured a real rack might be nice in case I had the desire to do more in terms of cargo some day.

I wasn't even aware of the tubus airey at least that gives me something to compare the rest too