Beetlejuice!

A lesson learned....

I hate to admit it, but I am quite the seasonal commuter. Living here in Phoenix I just can't deal with riding my bike, or doing anything outdoors really, during the summer. This is our first official week of lovely fall weather, and last night I had the best intentions of getting up early enough to ride to work today. I woke up a bit late and although I have a fairly flexible schedule I decided I didn't want to be at work any longer than I needed to be today, so rather than ride I drove.

At 3:25p I left my office and started my truck only to have it sound like the Grave Digger. Some ****tard had cut out my catalytic converter in broad daylight, on the street, in front of homes and a busy college campus.

Lesson learned...ALWAYS ride your bike to work!
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless *****" - Sheldon

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thieves suck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ive known way to many that had their cat's stolen in broad daylight. A co workers truck was parked literally 15 feet from the front door of work, and someone stole it between 12 and 4 in the afternoon, its ridiculous.

mtbr member
    So we need an airbag suspension so we can low-ride it to the ground when we park?

Jessh!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Biking will keep us alive.

Still want a fat bike....
    "..... It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."

Anyone?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Holy crap.... I have never, ever heard of anyone having their converter stolen, ever.

See, and here's the funny thing...... I worked in the exhaust biz for over 20 years, (hence my name) and never once have I had a customer come in needing a cat because somebody had stolen theirs.

It's pathetic to think that people will stoop low enough to steal used exhaust components for their value to recyclers..... sad, just sad.

mtbr member
    My wife works for a major car insurance company, and agreed that this sounded weird enough she should have heard if it was becoming a national trend.

I can see it for recycling or for a state with exhaust testing and mandatory car repair requirements where somebody needs a new cat or their wheels are grounded and can't afford one so gets a buddy to do a five finger and cutting torch discount.

Still so competely low. Must have a tee shirt 'WWACAD?' (what would a complete a$$h*!e do? The kind of thing you'd like to catch in the act and accidentally fall knees first to tender organs. "Oops didn't see you sliding out from under my truck. And what's that you have there?"

Moderator Moderator
    Yes, this has been a national trend for a few years...even new car/truck dealers have been hit, by thieves with cordless sawzalls. It's gotten so bad that many states have new requirements requiring scrapyards to record IDs, etc. to discourage theft and accepting stolen cat converters. There is platinum in them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    Yes, this has been a national trend for a few years...even new car/truck dealers have been hit, by thieves with cordless sawzalls. It's gotten so bad that many states have new requirements requiring scrapyards to record IDs, etc. to discourage theft and accepting stolen cat converters. There is platinum in them.
    Palladium and rhodium as well... and scrap yards can not sell used cats. It's illegal to install a used cat unless it's been bench tested. The only value that a cut off cat could have is scrap value, which granted is relatively high, usually close to the cost of new aftermarket unit, but usually less than $100... can't believe this has become common place.

Anyhow... ride on all, and enjoy every mile.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Tweakers. They are looking for metal to recycle.

Beetlejuice!
    Yep my husband said I should write on the bottom of the new one "Don't steal this I'll give you $20 for your crack instead...call...."
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless *****" - Sheldon

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton
    "..... It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."

Anyone?
    You're showing your age ...
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Dang, you've got to have some BALLS to lay down under someone's vehicle and steal something from them!!!!

BALLS, and of course no class or redeeming value whatsoever.... turds!!! (but turds with BALLS!)

mtbr member
    That's what you get for living in Phoenix. I know Los Angeles isn't any better! My family 's called the sheriff on a few people lately trying to steal metal from their farm and the neighbor's oil fields in the San Joaquin Valley.

Economy sucks, meth is expensive, and commodity prices are up

mtbr member
    Theft is ridiculous everywhere. It makes me sick to my stomach. The things that people will steal blows my mind too. My parents recently had their house broken into. About 7,000 dollars worth of electronics stolen, a bag of chips, and 4 sticks of deoderant......