Thread: legs won't work

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

legs won't work

I commute about once sometimes 3 times a depending on weather but the past couple morning commutes I did my legs seem real tired.... But on the way home there great I can go and go what could I do different to get my legs rolling in the morning?? They just seem tired and like sore, until i'm like 6 miles in then they start to become better. I am on a Pugsley so it is a beast but like I said my rides home are way better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What is your morning routine? Shower? Breakfast? Coffee? Stretching? Once you get a good morning routine down, you'll notice your morning rides get better and you'll have more energy throughout the day.

When I commute on my Pugsley, my morning ride is the tougher part, as I'm on a time crunch to get to work, so I really push to get that beast in the door before I get in trouble
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG410
    What is your morning routine? Shower? Breakfast? Coffee? Stretching? Once you get a good morning routine down, you'll notice your morning rides get better and you'll have more energy throughout the day.

When I commute on my Pugsley, my morning ride is the tougher part, as I'm on a time crunch to get to work, so I really push to get that beast in the door before I get in trouble
    Yeah basically that's my routine to the tee but I only spend 2-3 min stretching cause I am also always running late my commute is just shy of 12 miles. Maybe I need to stretch more? I love it when I get to work I am all jacked up and in a good mood ready to go!!!!!

Fat-tired Roadie
    6 miles on pavement before warming up is not really excessive. If it's a new thing, or an unusual thing for you, take a day off when it comes up.

If you're using the massive tires, you could make it easier on yourself with some slimmer ones.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

nocturnal oblivion
    It's just part of warming up. A hot shower may help, but stretching just awakened muscles is arguably not a good idea. With conditioning it should get a bit easier though, then you'll plateau and be wondering the same thing.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Moderator Moderator
    Try to get out the door a few minutes earlier and take it easy at first, your muscles can't go from zero to sixty right off. I know, I've tried when I get out the door late & it doesn't feel good. Maybe on the way home you're just not in a rush and ease into the ride better - plus, everyone likes to go home!

mtbr member
    Hours of sleep = ??

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RobMoore
    Hours of sleep = ??
    I get a good 7-8 hours a night!!!

mtbr member
    Hydration? I usually down a pint glass of water every morning before heading out.

I Ride for Donuts
    It's all about establishing the routine in my opinion. I've read a lot about the stretching debate... I'm pretty sold on not stretching at this point. Research shows that ramping up the intensity of the activity you're going to be doing, rather than stretching muscles that may not stretch out in tandem with other muscles that they're going to be working with during the activity, could result in negative side effects... but that's another thread.

do it for a few weeks, and your body will adjust. Repetition, routine, and rest... you'll be springing out of bed and onto the bike in no time
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)