I'm attracted to Gravity!

Left Hook Double Fake Out ---> Over the Bars Edition

Bike commuter Over The Bars situation:
    First time on the ground in 3500 bike commuter miles.
    7:15 pm, dark, and about 300 feet from home. Truck is at the intersection as pictured, starts appearing to turn right along the purple dashed path, so I continue in a straight line. Then he turns back across the road to go down the adjacent road as indicated by the green path.
    So I grabbed a fistful of brake, and managed to go over the bars even with 20 lbs of school books on the rear rack. I hit the ground but didn't get hit by the truck - sounds like a good trade off to me. The guy stopped, so I ran over to tell him I was ok. He said I had catlike reflexes. I got off with a minorly bumped elbow and knee and worst of all - broke the lower clamp on my T-Rex horn.

Rule number one in life:
    PAY ATTENTION!

In other news, the bike hit 2000 miles last week, starting this school year in August. Haven't driven to school yet.

Quite a bit of side reflective tape going on there, plus front and rear lights.
    The Princetontec EOS in front is rather weak though...

Thrice modified Brooks B-17. Trimmed the side wings down. Tied the sides in together. Then chopped a giant hole in the middle. Now after a couple weeks on it with the hole, this thing's getting pretty good.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Yowsa! Close one!

The Dinosaur is a nice touch. But what's up with the plastic bucket?

Moderator Moderator
    Yikes! Sorry about the T-rex, glad you are OK though. Hope you still feel alright this a.m.

weirdo
    Crap! If he commented on yoru reflexes, he obviously saw you. It`s crazy how people see and then try to drive right over you. Was it your your knees or your feet that you had trouble with before, was it? I hope getting "minorly bumped" didn`t aggrivate anything, but I guess the horn wouldn`t have topped your injury list if that were the case.
    Speedy recovery to the valient Rex!

mtbr member

Rex nearly wrecks?

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Crap! If he commented on yoru reflexes, he obviously saw you. It`s crazy how people see and then try to drive right over you. Speedy recovery to the valient Rex!
    I am imagining the truck driver: seeing too late (after failing to look at all ), starting the "Oh Sh.." and just getting his foot off the gas and onto the brake, as Rex did his face plant. In panic mode it is hard to remember to get your butt back and low. And yes, with books as counter weights, you must have clamped 'em but good!

Any accident or near accident you walk or ride away from is a good one.

I wonder if he was distracted? It wasn't a 'Ram' again was it?

BrianMc

oh, I'm fine. the R elbow and L knee are a tiny bit sore, and my seat scratched me a little weird in the...... seat area.....
    my left calf was the previous issue - strain or tendinitis from over training.
    Yeah, I like to run my brakes nice and tight. There wasn't much thinking going on, just pure reflex.

yesterday I picked up my 50 lb bag of oats from the store, and rode back 10 miles with it.

it was a wee bit flexy out back.

that's my grocery bucket.

Moderator Moderator
    Cool pic and impressive grocery run. Hope you have animals or the oats will be coming out of your ears. Is that in CO?

yep, I'm in CO, and only feeding myself.
    but I eat granola every morning, and priced it out:
    City Market $0.10/oz
    Walmart $0.08/oz
    Bulk (Vitamin Cottage) $0.04/oz

Since I learned a thing or two in 2 years of enginerd school (so far), I realized that getting the big bag would be worth it.
    Oats should keep a good long time too, so won't have to eat them 22 meals/week.

namagomi
    Your mspaint bicycle looks like Mr. Hanky and now I find out your actual bicycle is poop coloured...

There are a couple intersections around here like that and drivers don't even stop, they slalom through the road intersection at 40km/h if they don't see a car nearby. Unfortunately none of them consider a cyclist - oops, thud.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I'm glad you're okay. The driver ought to be glad as well, considering you had the right of way (according to the map you drew). Fast reflexes can safe your life. I see people drive with complete disregard to their surroundings all the time.

Beer is my spirit animal
    Awesome mileage! And glad you're here to share the story with us. When you're ready for new tires check out some Schwalbes. They've got a nice thick reflective strip built into most of their tires, and most of them are great for puncture protection. That truck driver should be buying you a new T-Rex!
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

well, its only the lower bracket on the T-Rex that broke, not the horn itself... I could improv my way into a repair on that quite easily.
    really, a bell would serve me better, as the T-Rex isn't very squeakable below 40 F.
    I have a good bunch of side reflective already (might get some more) and also just got a Planet Bike 2W Blaze light, 145 lumens, compared to the 70 lumens my Princetontec EOS has on there now.
    Normally I take the right of way and force drivers to respect it.... but distrust them the entire time.
    Tires: I'm stocked on that for a while... Once snow season is over, the 35mm slicks go back on.
    The guy was going slow, but 10 mph is still a lot of momentum.