Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Neg reppers r my biatches

Lame newb question for y'all

First of all, apologies in advance for infecting your otherwise pure Commuting forum with a post from me

So i am getting a commuter, with a rack, and have probably a dumb question but i have never even owned a bike intended for the road. Well, not entirely true...i did buy a roadbike once, had one ride on it, but the nag gave me so much grief i sold it after one ride. that will never happen again, thats for sure as i got my balls back.

Question: for commuting to work, with laptop, change of clothes, shoes, etc...what way makes the most sense to load the rack accordingly? What type of bag or whatever do i get to attach to the rack?

Thanks in advance

I Ride for Donuts
    Most people like the kind that drape over the rack pannier style, so you load both sides fairly evenly, rather than a 'trunk box' kind of thing where it's all on top of the rack. Nashbar has some fairly cheap panniers that I think can work with most rear racks.

I'm a backpack guy myself... I don't like anything hanging on my bike. Can't really explain it, but it's all about personal preference. How long is your commute?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    I leave most of that stuff at work and just carry a small amount of stuff in a daypack, but those bags are called panniers. You'll want something waterproof for a laptop (or something waterproof inside). If you need more space there are also trunkbags that go on top of the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    I leave most of that stuff at work and just carry a small amount of stuff in a daypack, but those bags are called panniers. You'll want something waterproof for a laptop (or something waterproof inside). If you need more space there are also trunkbags that go on top of the rack.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Most people like the kind that drape over the rack pannier style, so you load both sides fairly evenly, rather than a 'trunk box' kind of thing where it's all on top of the rack. Nashbar has some fairly cheap panniers that I think can work with most rear racks.

I'm a backpack guy myself... I don't like anything hanging on my bike. Can't really explain it, but it's all about personal preference. How long is your commute?
    thanks. i am getting the topeak explorer rack it seems...will probably just then get the largest MTX rack with expandable panniers just to check.

my commute, which i wont do everyday but will do everyday i am ABLE to (ie, time permitting) is 23 miles or so, depending on route. On the way home if i have time i will take the red outlined path which includes and approx 9.5 miles of dirt that drops me off on pacific coast highway...at least on fridays
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lame newb question for y'all-commute-2.jpg  

I Ride for Donuts
    Sweet route. I'd consider a backpack for fragile stuff like a laptop if you're hitting much dirt. Depends on your route, but part of my ride is on a pothole infested dirt road...panniers can take a pounding on a rigid bike. At least get a padded sleeve or something squishy for the laptop. Stuff on your back is spared the pounding that the panniers will take on an uneven surface. On pavement...no worries.

I keep a fully stocked cabinet at work with clothes and shoes. I'm only packing underwear/undershirt/socks with me. I swap clothes out every week or so when I'm close to work with the car.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Sweet route. I'd consider a backpack for fragile stuff like a laptop if you're hitting much dirt. Depends on your route, but part of my ride is on a pothole infested dirt road...panniers can take a pounding on a rigid bike. At least get a padded sleeve or something squishy for the laptop. Stuff on your back is spared the pounding that the panniers will take on an uneven surface. On pavement...no worries.

I keep a fully stocked cabinet at work with clothes and shoes. I'm only packing underwear/undershirt/socks with me. I swap clothes out every week or so when I'm close to work with the car.
    thanks for the great advice...will let you know how it goes

mtbr member
    I prefer backpacks over panniers on the bike, but either way, check out Ortlieb. They make some pretty nice stuff.

I usually bring most everything to work on Monday.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    You're getting great advice. The one other thing to make sure of is to get the bike as comfortable as possible. If this means having a shop help with the set-up, so be it.
    Nothing worse (especially the distance you plan to ride) than having a bike that doesn't fit you right.
    I'm a backpack guy also, but the only thing I don't like about it is in the hot weather- tends to get the back hot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    I prefer backpacks over panniers on the bike, but either way, check out Ortlieb. They make some pretty nice stuff.

I usually bring most everything to work on Monday.
    backpack as well, especially if hitting the dirt. I find it way easier to have all the weight on me, not on the bike. Makes it easier to throw the bike around and maneuver.

great comments from all. i will definitely try the backpack approach first, just need to get one that fits all the stuff now. i did add a rack to the order but figure i will want to at least try it at some point. cant wait to get the bike...should arrive thursday, just in time for me getting keys to new place friday looking very forward to rebuilding the stable which this time last year was strong, now, not so much given the firesales but its temporary
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 03-20-2011 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    great comments from all. i will definitely try the backpack approach first, just need to get one that fits all the stuff now. i did add a rack to the order but figure i will want to at least try it at some point. cant wait to get the bike...should arrive thursday, just in time for me getting keys to new place friday looking very forward to rebuilding the stable which this year last time was strong now, not so much given the firesales but its temporary
    http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-53.htm

My favorite. Packs more crap than you would want to carry. I can get clothes, shoes, laptop, six pack, and still have some room left over (they do have a bigger one if traveling light isn't your thing). Waterproof, holds stuff close to body and solidly, doesn't shift on single track.

I'm a pack ****, I've tried any number of messenger bags and back packs. I've used this one for the past 5 years and I'm still happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by yo_eddy
    http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-53.htm

My favorite. Packs more crap than you would want to carry. I can get clothes, shoes, laptop, six pack, and still have some room left over (they do have a bigger one if traveling light isn't your thing). Waterproof, holds stuff close to body and solidly, doesn't shift on single track.

I'm a pack ****, I've tried any number of messenger bags and back packs. I've used this one for the past 5 years and I'm still happy with it.
    thanks...PERFECT advice!

so how can it be that the MTBRetards on the 29er forum provide such idiotic advice on all matters and this forum is so helpful? i may have to spend more time here

EDIT: and wow, it even comes in orange (the most important thing) to match the Vaya not to mention it can be used to advertise my blahg if i open it again. I would have never guessed by looking at such a bag online that it could actually be appropriate for my needs so thanks again!

rr
    I don't do PC
    What bike did you go with?, and I agree on the 29er board, I think on the thread you started there everyone said racks!(except me )

You live in Hollywood? that fiqures

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    What bike did you go with?, and I agree on the 29er board, I think on the thread you started there everyone said racks!(except me )

You live in Hollywood? that fiqures
    haha...look what the cat dragged in. rretarderroeder, please leave as this forum does not want to be spoiled with the likes of you.

i did order a rack, will try it, but will likely not like it as much as the pack. will probably get the orlieb posted here as it sounds perfect for my needs.

i got the orange Vaya

and what do you have against Hollywood? for the record, its not Hollywood as in THE Hollywood obviously, its a very very small community called Hollywood Beach, not even in Los Angeles county in fact

rr
    I don't do PC
    Nice choice FoD!ckhead, make sure and put dirt drops and a fat front on it in case it snows again in LA

The Vaya is damn close to my La Cruz and the paint is the same, pimpin orange, did a 4 hr La Cruuuuz yesterday on it, love that bike.

Nice choice FoD!ckhead, make sure and put dirt drops and a fat front on it in case it snows again in LA

The Vaya is damn close to my La Cruz and the paint is the same, pimpin orange, did a 4 hr La Cruuuuz yesterday on it, love that bike.
    nice! and of course, what is a bike without a fat front tire to make it as slow as possible (i learned that from the 29er forum). and while it never snows where i will be living, i think the fat front will also be good to help with whale hucking that i learned from tscheezy in case any wash up.

and for the record, you are not welcome at my new place b!tch

rr
    I don't do PC
    and for the record, you are not welcome at my new place b!tch
    First Aqua and now you?, I'm hurt

First Aqua and now you?, I'm hurt
    dont feel bad, he is not welcome at my place either, only squeaky is

rr
    I don't do PC
    What happened to Squeaky?, never see him post anymore fiqured you two were on a 6 month love boat cruise again till you showed up

I Ride for Donuts
    so how can it be that the MTBRetards on the 29er forum provide such idiotic advice on all matters and this forum is so helpful? i may have to spend more time here
    Hold on there tiger. You can't distance yourself from that crowd that easily

My backpack is a North Face Slingshot... I love it, and it's also orange. Sounds like you found a good one though.

Still want a fat bike....
    I picked up a pair of Banjo Brothers waterproof panniers to roll with and love them so far. I carry all my crap with me like you plan to (laptop, shoes, work clothes, etc.). I bought two because they are cheap at $45ish each ($90 total for you slow ones) and because I keep some tools, zip ties, hidden messenger and bungee cords in the other for various possible issues.

I did the messenger bag thing and backpack for a while, but then I got a rack. I am a lot happier with the panniers. My back was always so sweaty when I got to work and I hated that. The bike handles differently, but its not that bad. Good luck out there.

weirdo
    Fat 29 for whale hucking? Doesn`t that require ultra fat 24s?

Then again, you might be better off on a bike that WON`T whalehuck, since I`m pretty sure even fantasizing about it in CA would get you locked up.