Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I Like Bicycles

Kryptonite FAHGETTABOUDIT Cut in 10 seconds...

Very interesting documentary on bike theft. A good portion was on testing the very best bike locks. The FAHGETTABOUDIT chain lasted ten frickin' seconds:

I was thinking of getting the FAHGETTABOUDIT chain + NY lock to secure my $5,500 bike on my roof rack while at work... Not so sure anymore. I'm open to suggestions!

Kryptonite FAHGETTABOUDIT Cut in 10 seconds...-166717_10151269691561367_120791817_n.jpg
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No lock can stop someone with the proper tools, they are merely deterrents.

mtbr member
    ^^ Maybe there is a storage option at work, in the building, like your workspace?

BrianMc

I Like Bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^^ Maybe there is a storage option at work, in the building, like your workspace?

BrianMc
    Nope.

I've opted to go with the 15mm NY Legend chain. I'll be connecting my frame directing to the Thule Aeroblade rails. I reckon they'll have to tear my roof rack apart in order to get to my bike, which I seriously doubt anyone will do in an open parking lot.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    *** Since the tires insulate the car from the ground, I wonder what an electric fence shock system would do. Most people don't wear electrically insulating footwear. You would need a remote shut off. Being unpredictable about when to expect the bike will be at work would help. Parking near any video camera coverage or a maximum foot traffic area would too. They would jostle the car, so a sensitive car alarm should help if anyone was around to hear it.

BrianMc

You have a hatchback. Drop the backseat and put it inside. That's what I do when I need a little better "out of sight out of mind" security.

Currently have a Honda Fit I do this with and can fit two bikes. Picking up a new Subaru XV Crosstrek on Wed and hope to be able to do the same.

mtbr member
    ^^ I hope you cover them up.

Mountain bike stolen from locked car rack; other unrelated vehicle thefts and damages | Lethbridge News

Three bikes stolen from vehicles (below). I bet they weren't covered up. I suggest a cover with old newspapers, magazines, McD and BoogerKing containers fastened to it to look as disgusting and as deep as possible and no sign of the bike showing. You may have to loosen the bars and rotate them.

Stolen Bike Thread - VintageBMX.com

BrianMc

Guess it depends where you are. I haven't had trouble.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimk View Post
    I was thinking of getting the FAHGETTABOUDIT chain + NY lock to secure my $5,500 bike on my roof rack while at work... Not so sure anymore. I'm open to suggestions!
    Bring your bike inside the building when you get to work.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Ive seen thieves rip roof racks apart just to remove the bike. Now thieves are using portable battery powered grinders so if they want it theyll get it. For petes' sake dismantle it and stuff it in your car with a blanket over it.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    *** Since the tires insulate the car from the ground, I wonder what an electric fence shock system would do. Most people don't wear electrically insulating footwear. You would need a remote shut off.
    While it would be effective, it'd also be against the law. Had a buddy in high school get 30 days for doing that to his car (fully restored '54 Chevy w/ blown 454).
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

No Stranger to danger....
    LOL, A blanket over something in the back of a car says to a thief ''there is something good under here thats worth covering up'' might as well put a sign on the car that says ''i have something of great value under the blanket in my car, thats why i bothered to cover it'' .....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    I concur with everyone... locks are just a small speed-bump. I follow the belief that whatever I put the public eye, I should be comfortable with it being stolen. So most bar rides, I run an ugly bike. And my main ride is pretty plain.

I have never had a problem when using roof racks with fork mounts + locking cores.

At work, our bike rack has a camera pointed at it. ???
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimk View Post
    Very interesting documentary on bike theft. A good portion was on testing the very best bike locks. The FAHGETTABOUDIT chain lasted ten frickin' seconds:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	166717_10151269691561367_120791817_n.jpg 
Views:	1426 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	794607
    Why'd you bring your two bikes to work anyway? Show and tell day?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    LOL, A blanket over something in the back of a car says to a thief ''there is something good under here thats worth covering up'' might as well put a sign on the car that says ''i have something of great value under the blanket in my car, thats why i bothered to cover it'' .....
    Incorrect.. thieves have favorites depending on who they know and how fast they can off load an item. It's also a big reason why certain bikes are targeted and others left alone. For all they know it's your Time Life: Golden age of country collection under that blanket.

Moderator Moderator
    Years ago my sister's Chevette's window was busted in. A blanket and a quart of oil were stolen.

weirdo
    If I worked in a high crime area, had no safe bike parking there, and wanted to ride anyway, I`d leave my $5000 bike (assuming I had such a critter) at home and commute on my garage sale Murray cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Years ago my sister's Chevette's window was busted in. A blanket and a quart of oil were stolen.
    She had the oil hidden under the blanket and the thief thought he might have hit it big with a Time Life record collection under there. Was probably very disappointed, but took the oil and the blanket just to spite her.
    Recalculating....

Levi Early
    any chance of a shady area and my bike goes with me. I dont care what the rules are, my bike stays within my sight. When I lived in San Jose I would commute around with my bike, it would go in every store that I went into. People would look at me funny when I would walk it around. I think out of the two years I lived there, only once did I have a negative comment about it being inside a store. My reply was "well if you care to have my business, then i will have my bike in here with me" It was not like it was in the way of other people, once people realize that you care about your property then they will usually let it go. Obviously do not take in a totally thrashed out muddy bike into a store or business.

mtbr member
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a NY Noose by Kryptonite and plan on using it in combination with my 2 other locks, one a Kryptonite u lock and the other a long thick cable lock. The Noose will be for the frame & the fixed object. The u lock for the front wheel to frame. The long cable for the rear wheel/frame and maybe the fixed object(was how I was locking my bikes prior before when I could see them). Well, even if locks can all be defeated, at least it will take some time and effort. Maybe the guy's bike next to mine will seem more interesting?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    If you park it in one place with regularity, a determined thief will eventually find the right tools if the potential reward (a $5,000 bike) gets him motivated. But if it's a one time thing that you have to leave your bike for a while then there is a small chance a bike thief will come across your precious with the right tools with him.

mtbr member
    Assuming you have time to replace it later, I'd remove the crank or at least one of the arms. It might be a $5000 bike, but nobody steals an obviously broken bike.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

I Like Bicycles
    I've concluded with this solution using the Kryptonite NY Legend chain and lock. I reckon they'll have to tear my roof apart in order to get to my bike:

Kryptonite FAHGETTABOUDIT Cut in 10 seconds...-321476_123574201175917_1521990007_n.jpg

My car is parked in an open, suburban parking lot during work. There's no space in the office to leave my bike in, so this as good as it will get... Which I think is pretty damn good. The rails, bike carriers and front wheel are key locked as well.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    The blanket idea I had was to make the under hatchback area look like a biohazard/dump. Outside needs to look a bit unloved, too. Still could be broken into and explored, but they must be desperate to risk long-term illness. Unfortunately, there are some who might see it as 'homey'. If the bike is locked well to the car, the schmuck who would brave such a mess will not likely have the needed tools.

It might be worth the fuel and time to go home to get the bike before heading out.

BrianMc

I Like Bicycles
    The blanket idea I had was to make the under hatchback area look like a biohazard/dump. Outside needs to look a bit unloved, too. Still could be broken into and explored, but they must be desperate to risk long-term illness. Unfortunately, there are some who might see it as 'homey'. If the bike is locked well to the car, the schmuck who would brave such a mess will not likely have the needed tools.

It might be worth the fuel and time to go home to get the bike before heading out.

BrianMc
    While I agree that no lock and chain combination is 100% secure, I think I'm 99% safe here. No fool would dare hack away at my roof for a half hour using power tools. I should also add that my co-workers have good line of sight to my car and bike.

The links on that chain are 15mm, and 16mm on the shackle. I believe chains 14mm and below are prone to bolt cropper attacks.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Assuming you have time to replace it later, I'd remove the crank or at least one of the arms. It might be a $5000 bike, but nobody steals an obviously broken bike.
    One missing crank arm does not make a broken bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast