official eMpTyBRain

Kona Dew series bikes

Anyone here own any model of the Kona Dew bikes? I'm looking at the 2014 Dr. Dew for a pavement climber/workout bike. It's steep and hilly where I live. When I don't have the time to hit the dirt, I plan to use this for short rides from right out of my front door. Looking for some feedback on these bikes. Thanks!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

I do like the look of the Dr. Dew. I have no idea about that SRAM Via Centro drivetrain, though. I've not encountered other bikes with that before. Probably the biggest thing about the Dew bikes that does not impress me is that they all come with aluminum forks. Alu forks are just so harsh. I'm not a fan of the heavy suspension that often gets tossed onto hybrids, so I think rigid forks really are the way to go, but for a nicer one, the aluminum fork kinda makes me cringe a little.

Take one out, and try to compare it to a hybrid that has a carbon fork. I know a lot of manufacturers make them with carbon forks starting in the ~$700 ish range. Try something with steel, too, if you find it. The steel fork on my Salsa Vaya actually feels quite nice.

Also don't eliminate road bikes with drop bars with a drop of the hat. There are a lot of options this year for "road bikes that aren't road bikes".

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I do like the look of the Dr. Dew. I have no idea about that SRAM Via Centro drivetrain, though. I've not encountered other bikes with that before. Probably the biggest thing about the Dew bikes that does not impress me is that they all come with aluminum forks. Alu forks are just so harsh. I'm not a fan of the heavy suspension that often gets tossed onto hybrids, so I think rigid forks really are the way to go, but for a nicer one, the aluminum fork kinda makes me cringe a little.

Take one out, and try to compare it to a hybrid that has a carbon fork. I know a lot of manufacturers make them with carbon forks starting in the ~$700 ish range. Try something with steel, too, if you find it. The steel fork on my Salsa Vaya actually feels quite nice.

Also don't eliminate road bikes with drop bars with a drop of the hat. There are a lot of options this year for "road bikes that aren't road bikes".
    Aluminum forks transfer a lot of chatter up to the handle bars? It's noticeable on smooth pavement? This bike would never see dirt. Thanks for your input, Nate.

Yeah, alu is terrible with the chatter. Depends how smooth you're talking. If you mean the type of stuff that is used on a fresh greenway trail, then no, you won't feel chatter through that. But if you're talking about old, but otherwise intact (worn, but no cracks or potholes, but maybe the occasional expansion seam), yeah, you'll feel it. Hi-ten steel is really not much better (I know some hybrids come so-spec'd). Good quality steel is, and carbon is usually better than that, even.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Yeah, alu is terrible with the chatter. Depends how smooth you're talking. If you mean the type of stuff that is used on a fresh greenway trail, then no, you won't feel chatter through that. But if you're talking about old, but otherwise intact (worn, but no cracks or potholes, but maybe the occasional expansion seam), yeah, you'll feel it. Hi-ten steel is really not much better (I know some hybrids come so-spec'd). Good quality steel is, and carbon is usually better than that, even.
    I would likely upgrade a few things on this bike anyway so a carbon fork would seem logical.