mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Kona Dew Plus inferior pedals?

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Kona Dew Plus 2009 as my day to day commuter. I'm around 75 kgs and riding purely asphalt. Purchased it a little over 3 weeks ago. The other day I discovered both - yes, that's *both* - my pedals had cracked. The outer edge is metal, but the joins inside are made of hardened plastic - both have cracked where they connect the side of the pedal to the central post, and press into my feet as I pedal. Totally unacceptable in a AUD$820 bike. Anyone else had this issue?

(I would post this to the Konaworld forums but cannot post for some reason. GRrrrrr.)

Cheers

meanstreak.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    75kg., 3 weeks of road use,before they crack?

That wouldn't be acceptable in an AUD$250 bike, or at any price.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

trail rat
    Kona has a very good warranty, and backs it up with excellent service. Go see your dealer and get them replaced and/or upgraded, and stop airing it out here. Give Kona and your dealer a chance to fix it before you complain here.

Ah, I see your username, how appropriate.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Most manufacturers only include pedals so the bike can be taken on a "demo" ride or to satisfy the weekend warrior. They know any serious biker is going to buy and install their favorite set of pedals anyway (usually clipless). If you haven't gone clipless yet, you should. You'll never go back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Clipless can by kind of annoying on a pure commuter bike, in my opinion. Still, even nylon pedals last a very long time with only road use. I'd see if your shop will give you another pair of equally cheap pedals.

No-Brakes Cougar
    ....or instead of replacing your cheap resin pedals with another pair of cheap resin pedals, go with a nice pair of platform or bear trap pedals. Something that will grip the bottom of almost any shoe, but that you can also exit from any direction. After discovering that one of the resin cheapies on my commuter had "mysteriously" broken I replaced them with a great pair of BMX/ATB pedals by Wellgo. They are wide, sturdy aluminum and have pins that grip well, in addition to reflectors on both sides. They're great for commuting and you can hammer with confidence that you won't slip off. Wellgo also makes a pair that are lighter and have replaceable pins, but they lack reflectors and are more than twice the price.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Good point slocaus,

I was really just canvassing other's experiences. Regardless of customer service, the pedals should not be such that they crack after three weeks use. My LBS have offered to replace the pedals free of charge (covered by Kona's warranty), but I'll use the opportunity to upgrade to clipless (flip-flops) and they're giving me a good deal of them. So all resolved.

Cheers