Moderator Moderator

#kms Pedaled and #Cyclists Killed - 34 Nations Compared

mtbr member
    So intersections on bright clear days are particular dangerous zones and times. Matches the reactions to my lights at night.

What I find most telling is that there seems to be a pretty strong negative relationship (with Korea being somewhat of an outlier) between km traveled and deaths per km.

The real question about that is whether there's a more direct relationship (seeing more cyclists makes drivers behave better, or maybe having a larger proportion of the population cycling gets more safe cyclists out, bringing death rates down, or something else along those lines) or whether there's an unmeasured factor responsible (such as, better/safer cycling infrastructure and laws that better protect cyclists both encourage higher ridership AND reduce fatalities). there very well may be elements of both, also.

mtbr member
    ^^ Yes that looks like a significant trend.

If you have friends, relatives, and neighbors who ride, that will tend to help driver's attitudes. The Us-Them syndrome is reduced. There is little doubt in my mind that as I have become a bit less of a novelty locally (more cyclists and more drivers who have seem one or more of us), that awareness has increased, and riding is safer. Infrastructure increases ridership, so yes it is all interrelated. I know people who would ride if it was safer. So there is a feed back involved, too.