Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Really disturbing to read to read some of the comments in that article. I myself hate the car commute and park further away from work for a little bike ride in the morning to calm the nerves. Perhaps that is where the attitude is coming from and when they get passed by a biker who does not follow the traffic laws it only serves as fuel to the rage fire. Still, to assume that it is always the biker's fault and that they further deserved to be injured or worse killed is truly unsettling. Be courteous and follow the traffic laws, the bicycle is not free license to roll wherever and do whatever, don't be a bad apple whether behind the handlebar or steering wheel.
    No fuss with the MUSS

NDD
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    . Be courteous and follow the traffic laws, the bicycle is not free license to roll wherever and do whatever, don't be a bad apple whether behind the handlebar or steering wheel.
    That is the best way to think about commuting.

I try to be kind and follow all of the right of way rules and rules for cycling on the road in IL, but it's hard, sometimes. Pretty much, in IL (the last time I checked, which was a few years ago), if you are biking on a busy road, you should be as far right in the rightmost lane as you can be, unless you're making a left turn. Also, It is highly encouraged (and why not take it if you can) that cyclists try to ride on wide shoulders if the road has them. But it's really hard to follow this when drivers will speed in front of you to cut you off for a right turn, making you slam on your brakes to avoid getting hit. Happened to me two or three times the other day. Didn't feel like I had it coming.

mtbr member
    Yes. On the shoulder we are not seen by drivers turning out (they do not look at the shoulder) and too many of those overtaking us (they ignore shoulder traffic). It is one of the most common reasons for a collision. I have places I take the right turn lane (no arrows so not a compulsory turn) to be more visible. Those who are overtaking me and going to turn right, have me squarely in front of them. Or they have to pass and move into the lane ahead of me. A little harder to say "I did not see you!" when you are directly ahead with nice bright lights even in daylight.

I have had one pickup driver recently who found I was directly in his path on the 8' shoulder as he attempted a right turn. He seemed as surprised as I was (I was doing about 20 mph when he came to a stop alongside). I have had some close ones but I did not have to brake for them. Some think cyclists (and pedestrians?) have to yield to them. Forgot a lot since getting a driver's license, I guess. Taking our lane in sections where such right turns are likely, is riding as far right as "practicable" as stated in many state laws. You can't ride if driven over by drivers turning right through you, so that seems to be part of 'practicable' to me. That may not be well received by some drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Taking our lane in sections where such right turns are likely, is riding as far right as "practicable" as stated in many state laws. You can't ride if driven over by drivers turning right through you, so that seems to be part of 'practicable' to me. That may not be well received by some drivers.
    That's how I take that phrasing to mean, and have read about some court cases in different places that support that interpretation. Many drivers interpret the phrase to be equivalent to "as far right as possible" which is definitely not the case anywhere I'm aware of.