mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Kickstands, anyone

While researching a trailer purchase I came across discussion about using a kickstand to help stabilize the bike when parked. I haven't used or seen a kickstand since my first "serious" bike in the late 80's and those were the giant metal ones that bolted onto the bottom bracket.

Does anyone here use a kickstand on their commuter/touring bike? As I think about it I can see where it would be useful when trying to park with panniers attached.

Do you find it helpful? Does it add considerable weight or impact performance?

What brand do you reccomend?

Thank you

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I use the stock kickstand. I have an early 90's Raleigh CX or something. F/R Surly Nice Racks and Ortlieb roller panniers. They help keep the bike upright when loading it. They will break eventually. Big Dummy owners break them often. I'd really like a two sided kickstand.

Down South Yooper

Greenfield

I just put a greenfield kickstand on my wife's cruiser, she likes it quite a bit. I don't think that it would hold up to much weight in panniers or a rack, seems a little chintzy. For the $8.99 I paid for it from the LBS, it keeps my wife happy.

I've seen some with a Bob trailer of the like just jacknife the trailer/bike and let them hold themselves up. I think extracycle might have a double stand coming out, like a motorcycle. That might be the ticket if you can find one..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    No kickstand here on any bike.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 06-22-2008 at 12:03 PM.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

weirdo
    I don`t have any, but I wouldn`t mind one. I`m just wary of buying one and then finding that it won`t work in my application for some reason. Maybe on my next bike.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    I use one, but only because my bike storage requires the bikes to stand on their own in the garage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Oh, hell yes...kickstands are useful. You don't scratch the paint on the frame, locking it against a bike rack or signpost. It holds the damn bike upright for you while you're fiddling, where ever the hell you are. And you can park your bike in your room. Plus, it will make any roadie fall off their bike laughing at you, which also makes it very worthwhile. I stole mine off an ancient Peugot somebody had thrown into the dumpster...want me to steal you one? There are lots of trashed bikes around here, and most of 'em have the same kickstand. If not, you can get an identical Pletscher one from Rivendell for 14 bucks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Schmucker - not sure if its exactly what you had in mind, but Esge does make a two-legged centerstand that installs like a kickstand. See this thread for pictures:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...97429#poststop
    Taiwan could probably TIG weld a ham sandwich to a dictionary these days, but its been a while since they were doing brazing.

Thread Killer
    yep, i use one...came on my bike. i could take it off if i was really shaving weight, but...nah.

mtbr member
    I don't have one, but I can see where they may become very helpful.

Cheezy Rider
    I added one to mine, pulled it off some old frame I had lying around, Doggity hit the advantages. Mine's a little too short, if I put a saddlebag on it takes the bike down. too cheap to buy a new one though.!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    No kickstand here on any bike.
    Ditto. I plan on keepin' it that way too.
    If I were a vegetable,
    I'd be a radish
    Cause I'm only kinda rad.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    If I had a big cargo bike I would like one but on a normal size bike its something I word appreciate
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I use a greenfield rear mounted kickstand. I have a topeak os tube rack and the large topeak bag with panniers. I have loaded up to about 35 lbs of groceries in the panniers and the kickstand holds the bike up fairly well. Other times the wind has blown it over with nothing loaded on it. I like the convenience of having one; especially when I am hauling a kid trailer with 80 lbs of screaming kids in the back. I can stop and get off my bike anywhere to tend to the fuss. One thing you need to be careful with is keeping it on tight. Check it every time you ride. Mine keeps working itself loose from trail riding and vibrations. If they move on you they could cross your crank path while pedaling or end up in your rear spokes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Mine came with a kickstand, but it was taken off within 30 minutes of me getting my bike home. When i tested the bike it wasn't on there, don't know why it was put on.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, has a kick stand on her bike so that the paint won't get scratched if she has to get off it on the trail. Doesn't want to lay it down ... :-/

bi-winning
    I had a kick stand on my bike 5 years ago. The reason i took it off was because it rattled too much when riding trails. If you have a separate bike for commuting, that may be less of an issue. Most kick stands are relatively light duty.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakyalien
    Ditto. I plan on keepin' it that way too.

Third that: weight, rattling, opening unexpectedly when I hop up or off a curb or sidehop over a rail or seam in the pavement...I can think of a thousand reasons not to use one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't understand why nobody has invented a quick release kickstand. How hard can it be?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Some kickstands are very well made and don't rattle around.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/acces...tml#kickstands

Though when I've toured, either with panniers or a trailer, a kickstand would not have been very helpful- it was easy enough to lean the panniers against a wall, or jacknife the bike and trailer.

mtbr member
    NEVER...
    My first 20 inch BMX bike had one that came on the bike outta the box.
    My uncle (a shop owner in New England at the time) took it off and threw it in a pile of kickstands that he'd been pulling off every bike he could find (assuming the customer didn't want it).

I have not had a kickstand on any bike, since then... and that's when I was 5 years old.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I got the ESGE double kickstand. It's awesome. Makes my bike so much more stable, especially when loading up the panniers or when attaching my mountain bike to the tow hitch on the rack.

One What?
    Funny, I was just telling my wife that I haven't had a kickstand on my bike since I was 8. Now with my Xtracycle I don't think I could do w/o it. However I wouldn't want one on my trail bike because of forementioned reasons (spokes, crankarm damage, rattling, etc.).

rep
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    After living in Germany for years one really gets accustomed to one's bike having a kickstand (and bell, fenders, magneto, racks). It is rude to lean the bike against store windows. The rear mounted stands are more stable with loaded panniers than the bottom bracket mounts. Center stands are the best for a loaded bike, but the stand is heavy.