Live free and Ride Hard!

keeping toes warm?

I am wondering how everybody keeps there feet warm when riding in <30 temperatures? During my ride today My toes were numb the entire time even with 2 pairs of socks one cotton and one wool. any suggestions or products out there that could help?

and don't say add more socks because I can barely fit in my cycling shoes with 2

Off the back...
    Get rid of the cotton socks, as they will likely do more harm than good in terms of keeping your feet warm. Use wool socks instead, perhaps with a thin synthetic liner sock if required. Also, cover up any breathable mesh that may be on your shoes. Like anything else, your feet are susceptible to windchill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    A half size larger shoe and thicker socks. Wind chill is an issue like the above poster mentioned and some wear shoe/booty covers to stop this.

mtbr member
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Blood flow to your feet and toes is critical to keeping warm - if the socks you're wearing are so thick that your feet are tight in your shoes, your feet will get cold. Agree with the others to ditch the cotton socks. Another thing that works well is plastic bags (sandwich bags, newspaper bags, bread bags, etc) over your socks and inside your shoes - this creates a vapor barrier that helps with warmth and is also windproof.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    An actual winter cycling boot is a good idea. One thing with regular cycling shoes is their venting. You need to block the airflow. A good shoe cover is probably enough for you. I ride in -30F temps and have Lake MXZ302s three sizes too big and a whole sock system I'm still developing. Adding an extra layer of insulation, such as Reflectix (a mylar bubble wrap with an R value of 12) as an additional insole to isolate your feet from the heatsink of the cleat and bolts is also a good idea. Get wool socks and some sock liners too.

Riding makes me happy!
    I wear a pair of NIke Dri-Fit socks, wool socks, and Rocky Oversocks - they are made with Gore-Tex and are not only warm but also block the wind/air. I have ridden down into the teens with this setup and been reasonably comfy the whole time.

The Dri-Fits and Oversocks are really thin so I am able to wear the same shoes I wear when it is warm and I only wear one pair of cotton socks.
    [SIZE="3"][FONT=Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"][SIZE="4"]You guys and gals make me want to ride off-road.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Check out my Twitter: http://twitter.com/Bohamilton[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

mtbr member
    I wear a pair of thick wool hiking socks and some toe warmers. That was enough to keep my toes reasonably warm in 2 degrees the other day
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    a single pair of wool socks and rain-covers over my cycling shoes keep me plenty warm out here on the West Coast.

I Ride for Donuts
    I throw these on the shoes and leave 'em there all winter: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/167...CalienToes.htm

and then on REALLY cold days I throw these on: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/144...nder-Socks.htm

I'm using old, cheap shimano mtb shoes... this combo keeps the toes warm down to low single digits (4 degrees F is the coldest I've done so far) on my 6 mile commute.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I wear neoprene booties when it is below 30 (like the calien toes above, but full boot). Half the battle on a bike is keeping the wind off of you- and neoprene seems to do that pretty well. With just regular socks on and the booties I commute down to the single digits without an issue.
    Last edited by Helmsdini; 01-22-2009 at 08:11 AM.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

jrm
    mtbr member

Smart wool socks & shoe toe covers

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstang01
    I am wondering how everybody keeps there feet warm when riding in <30 temperatures? During my ride today My toes were numb the entire time even with 2 pairs of socks one cotton and one wool. any suggestions or products out there that could help?

and don't say add more socks because I can barely fit in my cycling shoes with 2
    seem to work in the when is in the 30s..so far
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    We spend thousands of dollars on our bikes, and god knows how much on cycling clothes, food, supplements, training, etc, etc...

Why go through a winter with a hack to keep your feet warm?

Spend the cash, get a good pair of shoes and be done with it. They will last you 10 winters.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="winter+cycling+shoes"&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

Good value...
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...tx&btnG=Search

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer
    Another thing that works well is plastic bags (sandwich bags, newspaper bags, bread bags, etc) over your socks and inside your shoes - this creates a vapor barrier that helps with warmth and is also windproof.
    The pessimists view of this, and my experience, is that this also creates a green house effect, and you actually end up with water trapped against your feet, soaking your socks. The water is then cooled by the air coming in your shoes, making your feet REALLY cold, rather than keeping them warm.

I'm a fan of slightly larger shoes, two pairs of wool socks, and some decent shoe covers. I've done 40 mile gravel rides in temps well below 30, and some 2+ hour single track sessions in the teens and this has kept my feet from becoming too cold. When it gets down to single digits and lower, I switch to platform pedals and pair of Salomon hiking boots with goretex and thinsulate, along with 2 pairs of wool socks.

Steve

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    have you ever heard of Hot Hands? alot of the outdoor stores usually carry them. you can put them in your pockets or in your shoes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I didn't read all the posts on here, but I wear my Doc Martins everyday to work with regular cotton socks and I'm fine. [I have 2 different pairs of Docs...one low top, black dress shoe, and another brown high top boot (like a work boot - but kinda dressy) - I say this, not to be weird, just to say that there are probably more than one type of Doc that will work for you! And no, I'm not getting paid for this, lol]I know I've ridden down to at least 17 degrees F, if not lower. They are comfortable shoes, look professional, and are waterproof (or at least I never had an issue in rain/snow).

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Defeet blaze wool socks (high cuff, thin enough to fit into cycling shoes) plus good fleece-lined booties keeps my feet very comfortable on day-long winter rides.

local trails rider
    Are your legs warm?
    It has been pointed out to me that, a bit surprisingly, keeping your legs and ankles warm actually helps with the feet too.

mtbr member
    Here's something that doesn't appear to have been mentioned.

Put warm feet into warm shoes before leaving.

I use 1 pair of quality wool hiking socks (ingenious, smartwool etc). Regular cycling shoes and neoprene booties.

If my shoes and feet are not toasty before going in, my feet are cold at -10C. If put in toasty feet, -20C before they get cold.

On the really cold mornings, I make sure my shoes are over a vent to warm up. When I get out of the shower, the first thing I do once dried is put on my socks and slippers.

My bike stays in the basement. If I walk across the concrete floor without slippers before leaving, done, cold feet. Same goes for my hands. You'll often see me walking around the house with gloves on before I leave.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here in Japan at the local hardware store you can buy neoprene boots. If you can find some take a knife to them and make shoe covers. works great to around 20 and costs only 8 bucks.