mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Just started commuting and have questions.

Aside from the normal stuff that is always mentioned (lights, clothes, locks etc etc) how about chain lube. Rain , shine and snow my bike is my only way to get to work. After 2 weeks my chain is already getting rust on it, normally in use a normal dry lube but that doesn't seem to cut it. I really don't feel like cleaning my chain daily, I would think most commuters don't do that either. What it use and are there other tricks and tips for people that have their bikes subjected to elements daily.

Little more into, bike sits in my spare room at home. Then for 10+ hours a day it is outside chained to a bike rack getting rained on , snowed on etc etc? I try to get as much water off it when I get home before I bring it in.

Thank you in advance.

Church of the Wheel

Just started commuting and have questions.

The rule of thumb is to use wet lubes for wet conditions. My fav wet lube is Chain-L, if you can find it. Rust is a dead giveaway that you need to up your maintenance game. Bonus tip: Put some Wd40 on a q-tip and rub that in all your bolt heads too before they all start rusting. Do not use Wd40 as a chain lube though. Unless you reapply every day. Even then there are better chain lubes.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

I'd rather be on my bike
    Any chance you can park the bike somewhere that is not out in the elements?
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2746/2500

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Any chance you can park the bike somewhere that is not out in the elements?
    Sometimes I can, and do when possible.

Have to run back on base and grab some WD40, I'll see what the base bike shop has for chain lubes.

How often should I pull the forks off and clean, bottom bracket? I brought a small assortment of tools.

Thanks everyone who has mentioned so far.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    Aside from the normal stuff that is always mentioned (lights, clothes, locks etc etc) how about chain lube. Rain , shine and snow my bike is my only way to get to work. After 2 weeks my chain is already getting rust on it, normally in use a normal dry lube but that doesn't seem to cut it. I really don't feel like cleaning my chain daily, I would think most commuters don't do that either. What it use and are there other tricks and tips for people that have their bikes subjected to elements daily.

Little more into, bike sits in my spare room at home. Then for 10+ hours a day it is outside chained to a bike rack getting rained on , snowed on etc etc? I try to get as much water off it when I get home before I bring it in.

Thank you in advance.
    All chains need lube....but the shimano Cn-7701 (Dura Ace) 9 speed chain is a nickel coated chain that resists rust very well.

It can be had for $30 bucks on-line.

I use it and can get almost a full long cold salty winter out of one.

I use tri flow mostly just cause it is cheap and the bike shops around here have it...\

I picked up wome white lightening need more frequent application but seems to work..

If I am out of time I well often just squirt the lube on the chain and go..takes maybe 5 secs.

weirdo
    Agree with the other guys- try a different lube. I use TriFlow, many people swear by ChainL, some even use bar oil or motor oil. You`ll get some on your leg, but that`s life.

I really don't feel like cleaning my chain daily, I would think most commuters don't do that either.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    If I am out of time I well often just squirt the lube on the chain and go..takes maybe 5 secs.
    I take the middle ground here- always wipe it down after lubing, but very seldom ever clean it any more.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I used triflow for a longtime. Then switched to prolink gold which I liked much better. But then I bought some lightweight chainsaw bar oil for $3 for a gallon. I've been using it ever since, and probably have enough to last at least a decade.

My routine:

I carry a rag in my panniers and wipe off the chain every few days. Nothing fancy - just grab the chain and run the pedals backwards a few times.

In the winter I probably lube the chain once a week. Ideally I'll do that when I get home, spin the pedals a few times, let it sit overnight, and wipe the excess off in the morning. Wiping the chain after lubing is really important when using bar oil because it's gooey, but I think it's a good idea for triflow or anything too.

mtbr member
    How often should I pull the forks off and clean, bottom bracket? I brought a small assortment of tools.
    Every spring I regrease and repack all my bearings - headsets, hubs, bbs. My suspension fork usually gets a yearly overhaul too (although that bike doesn't get ridden in the winter). Winter is rough on brakepads (disc or rim) so I often need to replace those in spring too.

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: Just started commuting and have questions.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    My routine:

I carry a rag in my panniers and wipe off the chain every few days. Nothing fancy - just grab the chain and run the pedals backwards a few times.

In the winter I probably lube the chain once a week. Ideally I'll do that when I get home, spin the pedals a few times, let it sit overnight, and wipe the excess off in the morning. Wiping the chain after lubing is really important when using bar oil because it's gooey, but I think it's a good idea for triflow or anything too.
    I do a version of this too. I can't be bothered to do the ritual cleaning, and my time is worth enough not to sweat an $18 part so much anymore.

An old roommate of mine left some Boeshield T9 when she left. I'm impressed with how clean it is for a wet lube. Though I can't help suspecting that most medium and even light machine oils are fine. It's just things that evaporate, like WD40, and things that leave a dry film, that really don't last in wet weather. I'm still fond of White Lightning for mountain bikes in the summer, however.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I would also suggest Super Lube. Cheap, works well. Kind of a poor man's Boesheild

Apply liberally and frequently, let it sit overnight and wipe down with a rag.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

weirdo
    I do the bearings once a year: hubs, headset, regular BBs. If you have cartridge BB, I don`t think there`s anything you can do for it except replace when it complains. I guess a lot of headsets and hubs use cartridges now too, so the same probably applies.
    Recalculating....

Fat-tired Roadie
    Cartridge bottom brackets, at least as I think of them, are pretty much lubed for life. I don't think they can be opened non-destructively.

Cartridge bearings are a different story, and external bottom brackets (and the various 30 mm ID bottom brackets) can all be rebuilt and the bearings can be repacked.

TBH, I haven't tried to repack a sealed bearing. I just chuck 'em. But I have rebuilt a Shimano Hollowtech II bottom bracket. It's actually not all that hard. Enduro sells kits, but one could also do it with standard industrial bearings and a bit more finesse.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well got some WD40 , no luck on other chain lubes. The base does offer an assortment of liquid wrench products , I may grab a version to try on the chain. My order came in from Jenson today, extra tubes, warmer gloves , and full set of fenders. My brakes do not like the cold. In Vegas they would overheat and chatter, out here they are cold and chatter, then the noise they make when wet are like nails on a chalk board.

The Korean fitness pants that are everywhere out here, freaking awesome for riding. Not form fitting, well fitted , about an inch of room everywhere and tapered legs. About to buy another set for hitting trails and cruising around town.

Fat-tired Roadie
    WD40 is not very good. Base like a military base? I've heard of people using gun oil. You need something heavier, anyway.

mtbr member
    Don't use regular WD40...It rust metal faster than not....I use Rock N Roll Gold. Wet chain with it, then run chain backwards while cleaning with a rag. Wipe chain dry and leave it alone....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    WD40 is not very good. Base like a military base? I've heard of people using gun oil. You need something heavier, anyway.
    Yup, and gun oil is not really accessible for people who don't play with guns. The don't carry gun oil at the store since we are not allowed to have our private weapons in Korea. The bike store on base is pathetic , then off base bike stores are interesting. I think I found a hardware store today on my stroll, going to see what they carry.

I really miss my common stores , not to mention being able to read the signs.

mtbr member
    How things have changed....I was in S. Korea near the DMZ, 1974, and had my personal handgun...it get cold over there....I'm riding in 10 to -15 degrees here in New Mexico....Wished I had some onion rings from the village...Good Luck!

mtbr member
    +1 for rock'n'roll. Works really well in the slush, but you do have to stay on top of lubing in the winter, regardless of which lube you go with. You're chain's just gonna get filthy, and if you have to deal with road salt, rust is going to set in really fast. i try to at least wipe it down and squirt some fresh lube on it whenever it gets wet, and every once in a while i take the chain off and clean everything really well.
    you may have to mail order something if you can't find anything at the px. maybe go down to the motor pool and get some CLP off of a tanker?
    (hint: you can bribe them with donuts)
    Don't buy all the lies that they feed ya.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Going to see if I can try some VVL out, maybe try get a sample to take home. It's a common light oil used on aircraft. If not, mail order , I need a better headlight anyhow

mtbr member
    -1 for rock'n'roll. I love this stuff for wet/muddy/crappy conditions but I can no longer recommend it for winter riding, as it apparently freezes solid around 15 degrees and doesn't seem to provide much in the way of rust protection. Going back to RemOil until I find something decent for riding through the road slush.
    Don't buy all the lies that they feed ya.

mtbr member
    Rock'NRoll (GOLD)….Wipe it off before U ride….Been riding in snow,slush,mud….no problems…..