mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Joining the commuting nation.

Like many others gas prices have driven me to take up the bike. I realize everyone asks this but, I have been looking around and I think I have narrowed my choices down to the Kona Dew Plus. I wanted a flat bar bike with disk breaks for around $500.

Now im just looking for some feedback into the bike. Anyone else out there have any positive or negative experiences with this bike?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    heard plenty of good things about it, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Commuting is pretty great though, I've done 4 trips this month so far (34miles round trip) and it's such a rush!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Explore your routes and options carefully, understand and mitigate all the dangers.

Be attention be careful and smarten up...

mtbr member
    Get some good locks, don't be lazy about locking up.

BIG and Bald
    Don't know much about it either but I will soon. I've also heard good things about it. We just ordered one for my wife over 2 weeks ago. Seems that they were on backorder due to popularity but was told it will be in sometime next week. If not, she's going to pursue other options like maybe the Specialized Globe.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Good choice....

the Kona Dew is a solid commuter. The components are comensurate with the price point and reliable for a commuter application, not the best performance wise, but hey, this ain't a race, it's a commute right. Kona did their home work with the crank and cassette gearing. The ratios should allow for good speed yet allow you to climb just about anything you'll encounter on pavement. The brakes, while not a stellar off road performer should be more than adequate for road use unless you have some screaming downhills on your route. Then heat fade could become a problem. The only draw back will be if you intend to use a rack in the rear. Location of the disc brake mounting tabs in the rear will make a pannier style rack impossible to mount at the rear drop outs. Unless Kona has done something different with the mounting tabs at the drop outs recently, you'll be pretty much stuck with using a seat post mounted rack. But if you aren't planning on a rack then no problem. Just keep in maintained and ride it as intended and the Dew Plus will be a good commuter.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for all the replies everyone, im about to head to the bike store to see if I can order one yet in my size. I live in the Tampa area so there will be no hills to deal with and I would say 60% of my commute of 10 miles each way will be on MuT so shouldnt be too hard. Just a lot of afternoon thunderstorms to deal with.

I was hoping to put a rack on the back so I will have to talk to the bike shop about what my options are for that. Thanks for the heads up on that Squash.

achiever

Racks

Topeak makes a rack specifically for disc brakes. The mounts extend out away from the frame to accommodate the caliper.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks...ack_dsc_spring

I'm running an Exlporer Rack with an MTX Trunkbag DXP and I have plenty of room to pack my winter work clothes (I work outside at night) lunch and cell phones, keys Ipod, etc.

Been working great since March.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

That's what I love....

about these forums!!! If there's a product out there that will solve a problem, somebody around here has either used it or knows of it!

That's a great find red! I'll have to keep that in mind when I get my next commuter.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"