Which way? Uphill.

It's nice to work with some good welders

Riding in yesterday (2/28/11) my bike started to feel a bit loose, it was 5:30 in the morning, very dark, chilly and roughly 7 miles from either work or home so not the best environment for diagnosing a new bike problem.

Passing under the street lights I could see my tire wasn't flat, I stopped and re-tightened my rear skewer and that was good too. My rear brake started to occasionally rub. I concluded that my bearings had come out of adjustment and were loose letting my wheel flop around a bit and maybe my freewheel needed a bit of lube.

I finally get to work and pull out the rear wheel to look at it and it's good to go, bearings are adjusted just right and the freewheel, well it freewheels. Putting my wheel back in and BAM, there it is staring at me in my face, broken drive-side chainstay.

Not an easy field fix, but luckily I work with some talented and nice welders that helped me out and made it so I could keep on riding until I find a replacement unit. 30 miles on the new weld so far and everything is going along fine.

The bike is a 1988 Trek 830, I don't know how many miles it had when I got it, but over the last 3 years I've put 10K-11K miles on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's nice to work with some good welders-trek-830-crank-weld-.jpg  

It's nice to work with some good welders-trek-830-crank-weld-b.jpg  

It's nice to work with some good welders-trek-830-crank-weld-c.jpg  

It's nice to work with some good welders-trek-830-crank-weld-d.jpg  

Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looks good as new! Buy those welders some beer!

I Ride for Donuts
    Sweet! My tech guy at work found me a zip tie once when I lost a fender bolt...but THAT is a sweet at-work repair
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Which way? Uphill.
    I just realized an interesting tidbit if I assume that there was very minimal riding of this frame before I got it (which is likely with these bikes, so many were bought and barely ridden).

My Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires have pretty much outlasted this frame. I put them on at about 1500 miles and they still have about 1/3 - 1/2 of their life left in tread.
    Blog

weirdo
    Cool! Next year, have the guys weld a new layer onto the Marathons and you`ll be good to go again. SIX years for $150 and two 12-packs of beer is a good buy for a bike!

Can`t beat the price for 8XX Treks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Buy the guys a beer and keeping riding that bike! Chances are that's now the strongest point on the bike!

mtbr member
    Hats off to skilled friends! Not messing up the brazing of the dropout in the stay and the bead line looks excellent. A little steel wool, rattlecan primer and paint and done. Weird break though, relative to directions of forces and strength. Maybe it came out of the jig needing a bit more cold set correction than usual and it was stress cracked then. Or bent in shipment and straightened at the bike shop forming stress risers?

Regardless. Love steel! Fix 'em, ride 'em. Beats having to buy a new frame!

Which way? Uphill.
    Yeah, the silver solder got in the way a little bit at times, a little popping when welding, overall it went well and by the time it was finished porosity of the weld wasn't a concern.

It is an interesting place to break, no real obvious stress risers at that point.

The guys wouldn't take money or beer from me so my wife baked up some brownies and cookies, which they happily devoured.

I probably could ride this for quite a while longer, but I think it makes a nice excuse to try something new (new to me that is), I've got my money's worth 10X out of this guy. I'm on the lookout for an old steel GT in my size that I can get powdercoated.

I hope to have the new commuter ready to roll by June (gives me plenty of time to search out a frame big enough, old bikes have short top tubes!), at which time I put this guy out to pasture (garage rafters) to only serve duty as a back-up in the event of catastrophe.
    Blog