interviewed at a bike shop today...would be a fairly long commute

It's a really nice bike shop, at least. more road than mtn, but good bikes in both categories, as well as city bikes, cyclocross, tt/tri bikes, and such.

I mapped out one commute option that would put me at about 20mi. Only 1/2mi longer than driving the freeway, and this bike commute option would make use of several miles of rail trail. some of it would also involve a pretty busy road, so there might be a better bike commute route if I got the job.

that kind of commute, however, would really require separate commute clothes. I've got what I need for warm weather commuting, but sorely lacking in cold weather commute gear, so maybe no winter commuting there this year.

conveniently, this shop is just across the street from a place I will be delivering a resume next week for a full time job (no job advertised right now, but I hope they'll consider creating something because they could certainly use my skills).

I'm not entirely sure how long it'd take to get there. Only about 5mi or so would be on the rail trail and I know that section would only have a few road crossings. As for the rest, I'm not sure what my average speed would be. I know with current gearing, I can easily maintain 13mph on the flats...and this route is at least a pretty flat one. I'd probably want to bump up to a bigger chainring, which unfortunately I didn't bring with me from TX. with that one, I am pretty sure I can cruise at 15mph relatively easily.

with all the intersections that would invariably result in a lot of start/stop, I also wonder if I'd be better suited to put some gears on the bike to make restarts a little easier.

Moderator Moderator
    Good luck with both jobs - I wonder if the shop would let you test ride some stock on your commute so that you would be more familiar with the offerings. 20 mi is a pretty long commute, but if you have the oomph, nothing wrong with it!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Good luck with both jobs - I wonder if the shop would let you test ride some stock on your commute so that you would be more familiar with the offerings. 20 mi is a pretty long commute, but if you have the oomph, nothing wrong with it!
    dunno. I've never spent that much time test riding stock before, however. the last shop I worked in had a nice off-street 1mi loop or so that was good for more involved test rides. this would really only be a seasonal position, anyway. I'd want to get some SRAM drivetrains out, at least, as I'm not very familiar with the SRAM shifting mechanisms that are becoming more common. but there are some bike paths near the shop where I could do a bit of that.

Rogue Exterminator
    Good luck with the job.

Sounds like it would be a fun commute.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Good luck with it all!

BrianMc

weirdo
    Whether you actually do it or not, even CONSIDERING a 20 mile commute on SS is worth a crazy donut. Hats off.

Good luck with the temp job, and even more for the biggie.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you get the shop job first and build up a good rapport, you could store your bike there during the day when you get the other job across the street. :-)

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Whether you actually do it or not, even CONSIDERING a 20 mile commute on SS is worth a crazy donut. Hats off.

Good luck with the temp job, and even more for the biggie.
    Why is that so crazy? My commute is 30 mi each way & I did it daily on my old Steamroller, which was a SS.

NateHawk, have fun with the SS. I miss mine.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    My commute is 30 mi each way & I did it daily on my old Steamroller, which was a SS.
    Yeah, you`re crazy too!
    As long as somebody is happy with it, I won`t try to stop him/her. It`s just unfathomable for me.
    Recalculating....

yeah, well, rodar, you don't live in central Indiana, either. there are a few good hills around to put you to the test. but in large part, Indianapolis is a flat city and most of the biggest hills are on freeway overpasses. it is only the start/stop at intersections that might convince me to throw a cassette and derailleur onto the bike. but that depends. wherever I wind up commuting on the bike, I'll be riding it in SS mode for awhile at least.

mtbr member

interviewed at a bike shop today...would be a fairly long commute

Single speed what? I kinda love commuting on my SS road bike, but that isn't really an option right now.

I got an offer for the job today. pay is a little better than I expected for a seasonal part time sales position. I start on Thursday, so not bad. I'm not even going to try biking this commute just yet. I really don't have the clothes to make something like this comfortable. Not to mention, the wind is absolutely vicious this week. If there's one thing I know about commuting on an SS, it's that wind is even more of a pain. Once it starts warming up, I'll try riding there.

I also spent the day hand delivering resumes in hopes of getting someone's attention and getting hired for a job that's not advertised. I made a couple of good impressions, I think. There's a chance of getting something good. I think most of the folks I talked to were actually surprised that I had a lot of education and experience doing the sorts of things they do already. Cross my fingers that they'll create a job for me. The one that had the best response would actually be a pretty good commute, right at about 10mi from where I live now.