Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MTB, Road, Commuting

Interactive Bike Commuting / AKA which bike should I ride tomorrow.

I know several of you out there have more than one bike to choose from. For a change of pace let our commuter community choose what bike you are riding on a near future commute. List the bikes you will consider riding and when you wake up in the morning count the votes and ride that bike. The forum picks the bike, you pick the route and then hopefully report back on it.

I'll start: Which bike should I ride on Monday. The weather is supposed to be good and it's been dry out so I can take partial trails or all road so I am going to put the whole stable out there as an option. I've been riding the CC most days and the 9er recently. The 2 full road bikes haven't' been out to play yet this season.
    • Univega Viva Sport
    • Bridgestone MB-3
    • Scott CR1 Comp
    • GT Sensor 1.0
    • Surly Cross Check
    • GT Sensor 9er Expert
    • Surly Pugsley

More info on all my bikes to help you make up your mind.
    How Many Bikes Is Enough?

Disclaimer: This is a non-binding contract, if you wake up in the morning and it's raining, your selected bike has a flat and you are too late (lazy) to fix it, your plans changed and you need the car.... No big deal. Just come back with and post your lame excuse and you will be forgiven.

GO!

I Ride for Donuts
    It's obviously time for the Scott.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Hmmm, nobody cares or nobody dares. I thought I'd get a bigger response on a Friday afternoon.

weirdo
    Bedwards, I think I`ll refrain from voting on your Monday ride, but I liked the post. `Specially this part:

"Single Speed: I use to have a single speed bike...When I was 12. The hills sucked then too."
    My sentiments (and memory) exactly! Got a three speed for my 8th birthday and haven`t wished for less since then

And recumbents don`t look "silly", they look dorky.

And the next time you ride the Univega (I`m not particular about what day), I think it needs a little pixel lovin for the board here.

And did you buy the Crosscheck new? Complete?

That`s all, carry on.
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Why not vote?

I bought the Cross Check lightly used, complete. It was somebody's custom build on about a 1 year old frame. There's still sand on a lot of the roads around here, that's why the CC has been getting more use. The slightly wider tires help but I can find a sand free route for a road bike for Monday.

Moderator Moderator
    The Scott for sure. The weather has been glorious and could turn at any time, leaving it sad in the stable. If the roads are too icky, then the 26" MTB for a trail-commute.

Moderator Moderator
    What have you concluded from your 9'r vs 26'r comparison of the same model?

MTB, Road, Commuting
    The 26er is lighter, closer to the ground, accelerates faster, and has a much more nimble feel in the trails. The 9er goes over things better. In descents I pick a straighter line and go over the things instead of around them. So far I prefer the 26er.

mtbr member
    I am partial to pugsleys. Take it and make your Monday a happy one!

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Those are some polar opposite choices.

MTB, Road, Commuting

Zippy bike

I must say, I thought I'd get a lot more than 3 votes! So, at 2:1 I took the Scott. Nice choice because I think that one has been hanging the longest. The last ride on the computer was a 60 miler which I think was a charity ride in September.

Wow, I forgot how fast a road bike is! My average speed for this commute was 18.2MPH compared to the usual 16.MPH on the Cross Check and I hit 40MPH and it could have been faster but there was a school bus in the middle of the hill I had to stop for.

I'm thinking the ride home will not be the most direct route.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I'm thinking the ride home will not be the most direct route.
    Oooh, a ride across the lake? That`ll probably be a first for the Scott!
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    No, that would be the most direct route. There is a thin spot where I have contemplated a carry. If it weren't on private property I would try it.
    Here:https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...03227&t=h&z=19

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    No, that would be the most direct route.
    But that`s Sebago. I meant Champlain
    Recalculating....

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Who's next? It was fun letting your bike choice in the hands of others. It got me out on the road bike sooner than I would have.

I Ride for Donuts
    OK I'm in.

The Options:

Surly Ogre - Drop bar trail worthy gravel monster commuter steed...equally at home on singletrack, pavement, pine needles, dirt, gravel, or zombie carcasses. The go-to commuter

Access 29er hardtail - The mountain bike. Garden variety aluminum 29er hardtail, 3x9 gearing. Climbs like a goat. Descends like a goat with no knees.

Rigid Singlespeed 29er - Same Access 29er frame, rigid steel fork, 36/20 ratio. The pain train.

Giant OCR 2 road bike - Old, aluminum, 2x8 gearing. Just decent enough to get me out on the group ride, but not a priority. Currently has the kiddo-trailer attached to it, because it's the only one without disc brakes and the trailer mount doesn't like disc brakes.

Surly Moonlander - Yeah right. In my dreams.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Atta boy! I vote the OCR 2 sans the trailer. Since people voted me out on my road bike last Monday I've stuck with it and enjoyed shorter commuting times.

I could change my vote to Moonlander if you need a reason to go buy one.

mtbr member
    ^^ Yeah, Thought the same. If you had a strong vote for the Moonlander would the purchase fly at home?

Moderator Moderator
    I think you need a recovery ride after today's climbfest, so I vote for the Ogre.

I Ride for Donuts
    That was actually yesterday's climbfest... and today I'm on the Ogre, so you sort of predicted the future... creepy.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I prefer to think of it as "great minds think alike"!
    So if you're all recovered already and don't have a punishing run (aren't they all?) coming up, I'll change my vote to the Pain Train singlespeed.

I Ride for Donuts
    One vote will tip it... I'll check again before bed and if it's still a tie I'll decide between the pain train and the Old Giant in the wee hours of the morning.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    One vote will tip it...
    Zombie carcasses sound tempting, but I have a slight preference for The Headset From Hell. It hasn`t gotten much camera time since you finally worked it out.

No Moonlander sightings, but I did spot a Pugs on the Reno CL last week. The price didn`t seem all that tempting, but I see it`s gone now anyway. I guess fat bikes are still in short enough suply that they don`t last long on the used market no matter what price.
    Recalculating....

I Ride for Donuts
    Good memory on the headseat Rodar. It's still going strong....but when I pulled 'ol "snowshoes" out of cold storage I noticed that the bottom bracket has got some play in it now. (I got most of the bike in trade for a pair of snowshoes). Didn't cause me any drama, and luckily someone along the line has upgraded to an ISIS system, so I don't have to deal with that antique square taper stuff. That AND the quill stem might put me over the edge

So, the ride: I had forgotten how terrifying a simple dirt road can be Once I got down to pavement though, it all started to come back a little. I remembered rather quickly that you have to THINK about things like piles of gravel that have drifted out into the bike lane...I bounced through a couple of those situations like a pinball before I regained my road bike mental game. I was inspired enough by the experience that I extended the extended route to 9.8 miles... when I got to town, I pulled up to a stop light (I was going straight across, another 1/2 mile up that road to where I could catch the bike path)...and I realized that they were doing some major construction on the road I had to take... it was basically another dirt road at that point. As I was waiting for the light, a water truck turned the corner and proceeded to turn the whole stretch into a muddy mess. It was classic. On the Ogre I wouldn't even have had to think about it. I couldn't help but laugh as I gingerly tackled that section

9.8 miles, 18.5 mph for an average speed, including the dirt road and the special dirt section in town...so the pavement was definitely quick. Good fun. I'm glad it wasn't the singlespeed...I remembered I was having chainline issues last time I rode it, and I didn't want to tackle that this morning (sorry MTBX).

Interactive Bike Commuting / AKA which bike should I ride tomorrow.-picture1.jpg

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Fast indeed! Does that average speed include the photo stop (or was that a "stock photo"). So are you going to play on the road bike some more of fall back to the familiar Ogre?

I must admit, I thought there would be more voters in this little game. I'll play again once I know the trails are reasonably dry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast