Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    I was so happy to not be injured beyond bruises and a contusion, that I did not push for anything other than a new bike. The driver's agent was getting an under $600 settlement (1981 dollars) when my wife and I could have claimed thousands, and he thought $600 was being greedy. He came close to losing the deal. Heartless, greedy, and stupid.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    People need to keep in mind that insurance companies the world over are for profit businesses that aren't there to make the world a better place; they are there to make money. If they have to pay out, they want to pay out the least amount possible. Sometimes they realize it's in their best interests to be generous, but all too often they look to squeeze the payee to lower the size of the check, what do they care they didn't get hurt. On the other side of the issue are the 'victims' who were injured, harmed, etc. that should get some compensation but get some shark of a lawyer, run to court, and sue for stupid ridiculous amounts of money. You've seen the ads.." I was hurt in the accident and my lawyer got me 19 Jillion dollars". Both sides are looking to get the most/keep the most they can and unfortunately when the people who just want a reasonable settlement get involved, they get jobbed.
    -end of rant-

Glad to see that lady got a good result though, losing a leg is a pretty heavy loss for someone else's screwup.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    My father and brother were adjusters. I am aware of the for-profit aspect. I left a *lot* on the table because I don't believe in gouging the companies and sending all our fees up having seen the Insurance side of things. I have even been on some adjustment calls. I did not even charge for the loss of time involved or my incidental costs. I gave him a price to replace the bike and jeans that he should have been dancing over, and he was pressing for a further reduction. I had to point out his superiors would be most unhappy if he did not take my offer. That wiped the smile off his face when he realized he was trying to better a great deal at risk of losing it entirely. Just saying that some agents can be very difficult to deal with even when you give them a cheap settlement.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Yeah you're right. Sorry Didn't mean to sound like you were gouging anybody. This is one of my pet peeves, since I've had several people that were family/friends/coworkers who, when in that situation decided to 'swing for the fences', then couldn't understand when they can't get insurance coverage or when insurance costs jack up. Far too many people think of settlements are the opportunity of a lifetime to cash in, instead of just being able to recover what was lost through no fault of their own.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

sheep in FOX clothing
    I'm guessing the premise of the Insurer was.... she was partially responsible for the accident, because she was riding a bicycle on a roadway.