Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Back in the Saddle Again

Inspired creations

I am curious how many have seen something they would like to add to their bike but decide to make it instead of buying it?

I have been doing that with a number of things.

First was moding my cell's belt holder and a reflector mount to mount on the bar. Works pretty good, but recently had it take two trips solo down the road, so it's not perfect.

The second was taking the line from my packs water bladder and rigging it to work with a Smartwater bottle, run up to the handlebar. Idea is sound but I need stronger retracters and a magnet set-up. Still cheaper than $80.

And also altering a couple of bags to work as panniers. I am going to go with the insulated cable hooks found in Harbor freights hardware section. Just secure on one side to the bag. $8 for a box of them, compared to $6-$8 for one pannier hook online.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Look into a Nalgene/Osprey bite valve for your water bottle setup. It's got a magnet built in.

Back in the Saddle Again
    Thank you! I certainly will check that out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sigma cadence magnets are made of neodymium, and you'll probably be able to find a shop who would give you one. Damn strong stuff, and they even have a place for a zip tie so you have a neat hookup spot.

What have I done personally? Zip tied/gorilla glued a broken bottle cage back together. I don't very much like the idea of kludging stuff together on my bicycles--the closest I get is assembling wheels.

mtbr member
    Cargo bike:
    Wheelskirts out of door mat rubber and footpegs out of fold down door stops:
    Inspired creations-image.jpg

Top rack cushion for stoker out of 2 garden kneeling pads, velcro'd together at the hand holds & wrapped in a tablecloth like a brown Christmas gift.
    Inspired creations-image.jpg

This bike makes me creative, usually I just buy pre made crap for my bikes!

mtbr member
    ^ The doorstops, especially, are brilliant.

Back in the Saddle Again
    Name:  IMG_20130427_084230.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  12.0 KBName:  13 - 3.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  10.3 KBName:  IMG_20130428_101319.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  8.4 KBName:  13 - 6.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  9.8 KB

My phone holder. I have the Hydro, so I am not concerned with waterproofing.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^ The doorstops, especially, are brilliant.
    Lol....right?! Glad you appreciate them like I do. A bit of hardware store genius.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I was sick of my chains wearing out.

Inspired to make this...

It's a motorcycle style chain #40 industrial roller chain. My friend Terry helped me with the project. I did a some of the work on my freewheel and he made the chainring.

Oh, and I also made my bike frame
    Mark Farnsworth
    http://febikes.wordpress.com, Raleigh, NC

mtbr member
    Inspired? Or Just cheap?

Front fork leg light mount, handlebar light bracket, fender bracket, and recycled broken camera mount:

Twin headlamps, with DIY QR mount that can be aimed up down and to the side created from a single light mount and two handle bar mounts:

Hoods have changed and brake pads mounted correctly since picture.

Twin rear lights using modified helmet mount to a DIY aluminum bracket on carrier:

Pivot for Superflash no converted to a Turbo on the helmet to keep the beam level for most head positions:

A damaged 52 tooth chain wheel converted to a Chain guard on 1 x 9 errand bike:

Errand bike at farm market with DIY generator light, home built wheel with generator drum brake hub, DIY voltage doubler, DIY Li-ion battery for helmet light (also DIY), DIY porter-style front rack (can hold picnic cooler for frozen foods on grocery runs), DIY 'ghetto' panniers (matching front set not mounted):

With front set and a tupperware storage box on front rack:

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Wow, nice FeFab!
    Looks like you could use it to saw logs with! Your bikes are awesome. Very talented!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post
    I was sick of my chains wearing out.

Inspired to make this...
    Good God! Did you give yourself a lifetime guarantee?

+1 on the folding doorstops, Babytoes!

Brian, I like your chainguard, but not sure I`ve told you enough times yet that I LOVE those crankarms.

My most favoritest personal project, I`d have to say was the thrift shop camera/video bag that I removed the straps from and added pannier hooks to clip onto a "goal post" on my front rack. I did shell out some money for the clips, but it`s been well worth it for me because I`ve mounted and unmounted it literally hundreds of times, and it`s accompanied me for several thousand miles.

Honorable mention goes to a set of pump brackets that screw into the water bottle bosses and require an allen wrench to get te pump out. It was a pretty neat idea that actually turned out well, but not compatible with the pumps I use now.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Brian, that errand bike always makes me smile.

Back in the Saddle Again
    Thanks to a friend, I was able to work up a set of rack boxes from two 3 gal food grade buckets. They are mounted on to the rack with existing hardware, supported by the ridging on the sides and the straps. (Working on the straps matching when I wake up later)

Inspired creations-img_20130527_021730.jpgInspired creations-img_20130527_021832.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm

You mean like this?

Inspired creations-img_1557.jpgInspired creations-img_1559.jpgInspired creations-img_1561-002.jpgInspired creations-img_1568-002.jpgInspired creations-img_1567-002.jpg
    www.bartthebikeman.wordpress.com
    fast 26" road bike, shaven Racing Ralphs as road tyres, homemade "Paul thumbies"...

weirdo
    Whoa, a serious tip of the hat for that job, Barteos! Did you cut it on CNC or a rotary table? Any guess how many hours you had into the project?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Whoa, a serious tip of the hat for that job, Barteos! Did you cut it on CNC or a rotary table? Any guess how many hours you had into the project?
    Thanks.

It was made on a a small X2 manual bench mill with a rotary table and boring head and took several LONG hours. Once the critical holes and features were made, the rest was done largely by eye.
    It's really not the best display of machining skills but the bracket works just like the original one and it's even lighter.
    I still have the other one to make but I've been postponing it for months...

I have a larger mill stripped down and waiting for CNC conversion but it'll take some time...
    Last edited by Barteos; 05-28-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    fast 26" road bike, shaven Racing Ralphs as road tyres, homemade "Paul thumbies"...

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I wanted to give a trash heap frame a new life.

I added braces to the rear end to handle the additional forces from adding a disk brake.

I milled down a King headset to run a modern suspension fork in a 1 inch American standard headtube.

http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I love mudguards when it's raining and I hate them when it's not.

Quick release mounting system. On and off in seconds.

Inspired creations-img_3627.jpgInspired creations-img_3628.jpgInspired creations-img_3630.jpgInspired creations-img_3632.jpg
    Last edited by Barteos; 05-29-2013 at 12:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    custom machined light bracket
    2 x (2 x 0.5W) VERY BRIGHT lights!

I hate conventional light brackets. I love o-rings.

Inspired creations-img_3623.jpgInspired creations-img_3624.jpgInspired creations-img_3625.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    I wanted to give a trash heap frame a new life. I milled down a King headset to run a modern suspension fork in a 1 inch American standard headtube.
    *** So the fork's steering tube was milled down from 1 1/8"? Interested in the specifics.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barteos View Post
    Thanks.

It was made on a a small X2 manual bench mill with a rotary table and boring head and took several LONG hours. Once the critical holes and features were made, the rest was done largely by eye.
    It's really not the best display of machining skills but the bracket works just like the original one and it's even lighter.
    I still have the other one to make but I've been postponing it for months...

I have a larger mill stripped down and waiting for CNC conversion but it'll take some time...

Some nice stuff done on the DIY light forum, too. Unless I win the lottery no CNC mill for my workbench. Admire the persistence to do it manually.

BrianMc

weirdo
    Shazam, this thread is really getting far out! I tried O-rings as super duty rubber bands, but never think about changing them until it`s too late, when they`ve already dried out and cracked, losing whatever they were supposed to be holding . Maybe I`m using the wrong grade or material or something, or maybe they just need to be paid attention to more. Will try to find pics of some of my rotary table bits N pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    *** So the fork's steering tube was milled down from 1 1/8"? Interested in the specifics.

Admire the persistence to do it manually.
    Curious here too. Brian, I`m guessing he milled the headset itself (though I thought they would have to be hardened and unmillable) since the wall thickness in a steerer or headtube isn`t anywhere thick enough to do much with.

+1 on the admiration for persistence and ingenuity to play even when lacking the cool toys.
    Recalculating....

weirdo

Rotary table stuff...

Looks like none of my original pics from any of this stuff were since my last computer died, but I found some on Photobucket.

Housing stops
    Locking (sort of ) pump mount
    Pant guard
    Headlight switch to match the Nexus shifter on the opposite side
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Recalculating....

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Inspired creations-62919_10200366181738614_737383843_n.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Shazam, this thread is really getting far out! I tried O-rings as super duty rubber bands, but never think about changing them until it`s too late, when they`ve already dried out and cracked, losing whatever they were supposed to be holding . Maybe I`m using the wrong grade or material or something, or maybe they just need to be paid attention to more. Will try to find pics of some of my rotary table bits N pieces.

Curious here too. Brian, I`m guessing he milled the headset itself (though I thought they would have to be hardened and unmillable) since the wall thickness in a steerer or headtube isn`t anywhere thick enough to do much with.

+1 on the admiration for persistence and ingenuity to play even when lacking the cool toys.
    That's correct. Lots of guys who build klunkers are using king headsets and turning them down to fit the BMX American standard headtubes which are just a bit bigger than a 1 inch standard. BMX headsets will work but they don't work well.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast