mtbr member

Input on Spot Highline?

I'm considering getting the Spot Highline as I found a pretty good deal on it. I currently commute on a Schwinn King Sting with some changes for commuting (I know some people might cringe at this) in good weather and throw fenders on my ss 29er mtb in bad weather. But after years of commuting I'm thinking a more commuter specific bike would be a good idea.

What I like about the Highline is fenders/interface, rack-able, belt drive (I could change this if I ended up with issues), and touring style geo. It has a 3-speed internal hub which I have never tried.

So input-does anyone have any experience, opinion, or knowledge about it? Also are there similar options for the same price/cheaper? (this is pretty low from msrp).

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It was on my short list for a long time. Seriously cool bike. Get it.

Still want a fat bike....
    I wish I had more information on it, but its on my short list for a new bike some time this summer. I think I am going to see about a 8 speed instead of three though if I go through with it.

Depending on what you are looking for, there are some comparable bikes out there. I am also looking at the Norco Ceres and the Civia Bryant as other options. I am trying to stay around $1500 and get a belt drive with discs. Those are my main points. I can do something about handlebars and whatnot, I just want a good base to play with over the years.

Moderator Moderator
    It sounds nice if it's not too hilly there.

mtbr member
    Well, I'm taking the plunge. I will post info and reviews when I get it. I will be commuting on it and in a couple months, doing a couple week long slow road/dirt road tour with modifications- (apparently the bike can take up to 2.1 tires, probably swap the out the belt drive to chain for the tour, and up the gearing options if I think I'll need it)

mtbr member

Highline Review

Now it's input on the Spot Highline without the question mark.

I took the plunge and purchased this bike to use as a commuter and also a mixed terrain touring bike. This is my first dedicated commuter type bike. Over the last decade, I have commuted on all sorts of things. Most I wouldn't recommend. This I will recommend.

My changes from stock:
    It came with belt drive which was a bonus but I did not want to go on a long isolated tour with it in case something happened so I opted to immediately remove it without trying it out to retain it's value. I made a straight trade with the belt drive system for a Spot chainring, Surly cog and Brooks saddle with my buddy at the local LBS. I could have sold it for more but am happy to trade with friends.
    Added the rack, mirror, and will add light and computer
    I will be putting larger 47 tires on it. It currently has Kenda Kwick Roller Holiday 700 x 40s which are nice but I will be using it a lot on dirt roads so am choosing to go bigger. Spot claims you can fit 2" tires. I eyeballed and my 29er's Ignitor 2.1s might even fit! The downside is that the stock Planet Bike fenders could be wider-my 47's will likely not be fully covered.
    The stock seat does not belong on this bike. It is a sleek and slim, race-y thing. You should expect to want to change that.
    Also the pedals are blaw (as is typical these days on all bikes). I put some vintage rider XTs on there for now.

Thoughts:
    Toe clearance for me, size Mens 9-10, on the medium bike is tight. Typically just the fender gets brushed if my foot was in a way forward casual position. Kind of a bummer. Other than that I am about 5'9 and the medium fits great.
    This is my first time with a internal geared hub. The Highline only has 3 speeds which could be seen as limiting. I perceive it as liberating b/c I have always almost exclusively been singlespeed. Because of my touring intentions, I put a lower gear on it (32:20) so 3rd is my all arounder and 1st and 2nd are grannies. The bonus though is the hub is SRAM's Dual Drive 2 meaning that you have the 3 internal gears and a 9 speed cassette hub. There are no bosses for front gears. This is b/c belt drives currently require 8-9 speed cassette hubs. It is also grip shift. So you could easily upgrade to 27 gears if you wished. I do think a 8-9 speed internal would be nice though. If you sell the belt drive system, that could cover the cost of conversion to more gears.
    Comes with hydro Hayes Stroker Trail brakes. I'm kinda going with the flow on hydro brakes, as it's all going that way, but I am impartial. They work good, which is what matters.
    I like the mustache bars-comfortable. But they are wide so if darting traffic in the city is your thing, you might need to change them
    The stem/steerer tube interface has a new to me system thingy-you don't stack spacers or cut but slide the stem up and down as you wish and just set it by tightening
    Has horizontal dropouts. Being a singlespeeder I know my way around them but have tasted the Kool Aid recently with sliding dropouts on my new 29er and now horizontals (or track ends) seem so primitive. On a side note, Spot will be scrapping all horizontal dropouts for sliding dropouts for now on.
    Frame and fork are chromoly (or something similar-Spot calls it proprietary). There are eyelets for fenders and bosses for a rear rack but no mid fork bosses for front racks.
    It's made in Taiwan which is why it's so much cheaper than their handmade USA frames.

Spot Brand is an awesome small company formally out of Canada that is now out of my birthplace, the Front Range of Colorado, so I was stoked to support them. Although I think something big now owns them, they are still a very personable company to contact. They gave me honest opinions over the phone about the good and bad of the bike and how it would work for my intentions.

Also, the advertised MSRP is way higher than what the actual market price is going for. You could pick one up for around $8-900 which I think is a fair deal and puts it below many of it's peers in cost.

This bike is intended for commuting and I would agree that it is an excellent choice to consider if you are looking for one in this range. I will also be touring on it and believe that it will function excellently in that also but only time will tell.

Sorry the pic ain't the greatest

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I left mine stock except for swapping tires to Stan's Crows since ride it on the beach a lot. A very nice bike! Looks like it's not coming back next year. Everything I like gets discontinued...
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    [QUOTE=jmmorath]Now it's input on the Spot Highline without the question mark.

I took the plunge and purchased this bike to use as a commuter and also a mixed terrain touring bike. This is my first dedicated commuter type bike. Over the last decade, I have commuted on all sorts of things. Most I wouldn't recommend. This I will recommend.

My changes from stock:
    It came with belt drive which was a bonus but I did not want to go on a long isolated tour with it in case something happened so I opted to immediately remove it without trying it out to retain it's value. I made a straight trade with the belt drive system for a Spot chainring, Surly cog and Brooks saddle with my buddy at the local LBS. I could have sold it for more but am happy to trade with friends.....

Why buy this bike if you didn't want beltd drive?
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser