mtbr member

Inflation Systems?

What kind are you guys carrying with you on your commutes that also double for use on the mountain bike rides? Thanks.

weirdo
    Any of the "hosed" mini pumps. Have used Mountain Morph, Lezyne "mini floor pump", and Serfas Grifter. They`re all fairly similar, and I prefer any of them to mini pumps without a hose, but my favorite of the three is the poor unheralded Serfas.
    Recalculating....

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    I use a Topeak Road Morph pump. They have a mountain Morph as well. The difference is volume vs. pressure - the road goes to a higher pressure. I went with the road instead of the mountain because I can inflate a MTB tire to the lower pressure with a road morph, but I can't inflate a road tire to a higher pressure with a mountain morph.

mtbr member
    I have a Lezyne Road Drive pump & CO2 combo. It pretty much does every bike I have with ease, whether my roadie or my fat bike(fat bike takes a while to pump up though!).
    When in doubt, I take that with me. My other pumps, other than my stay at home Zefal one, are just for "I hope to god I don't need this on my ride!" but I have it just incase.

Moderator Moderator
    If you pass any gas stations with air, and have presta valves, you might want to carry one of those little 99 cent converters, just in case your pump dies, or you are lucky enough to have the flat close to the air. I also gave up on carrying the pump on the frame and just put it in my pack to protect it from road grit etc.; nothing worse than a pump that won’t pump when you need it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a couple of Topeak X Morph pumps, the smallest and largest I could find that had built-in hoses. They work well, though the largest also has a tendency to bash my knuckles into the top of the pump at the bottom of every stroke.

I Ride for Donuts
    I have an ancient Scott brand mini pump (before they were actually "mini"). It doesn't have the flexy hose (wish it did), but it won't die so I just stick with it. I also carry one of the little 99 cent converter thingies that MTBX is talking about. I have a CO2 inflator, but I save it for 'important' rides/race situations. I've only used it once.

Is there a not-so-mini mini pump (that still pushes a decent amount of air), that also has the flexy hose, and also can inject CO2 cartriges? That would be ideal for me. I'm not too worried about size, I'd rather have less pumps to inflate a tire...I carry the pump in the long pocket of my old camelbak.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    The Lezyne CFH pumps do air + CO2, for a price. The hose can attach to the pump or the cartridge. Pretty mini, at 9" +/-. CFH Pumps. Looks like REI is out of them. I've never used cartridges but won a couple as schwag this winter, so I should probably carry one, as I will never use it sitting at home in my toolbox.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Is there a not-so-mini mini pump (that still pushes a decent amount of air), that also has the flexy hose, and also can inject CO2 cartriges? That would be ideal for me. I'm not too worried about size, I'd rather have less pumps to inflate a tire.
    If I ever see a pump the size of the old style frame pumps, but with a short flex hose and a little fold out foot, I`m buying it!

Remember Solomon76? In a similar thread a couple years ago, he posted pictures of a little hose adaptor that you chucked into any 'stick" pump, then onto your valve. Though you still wouldn`t have the fold out foot and probably wouldn`t have the nice comfortable folding handle, you could actually have the volume of a bigger frame pump and not worry about ripping the stem out of your tube. Solomon said he bought a few of those hose things when he was in Germany, but he made up decent DIY version as an experiment while that thread was going.

Why would you want a cartridge injector integrated into the pump? Aren`t the injectors small enough to carry separately if you want one? Seems to me that separate tools are easier to handle, and if one part goes bad you don`t have to replace the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    I have a couple of Topeak X Morph pumps, the smallest and largest I could find that had built-in hoses. They work well, though the largest also has a tendency to bash my knuckles into the top of the pump at the bottom of every stroke.
    That`s the main reason I prefer the Serfas. Their head and clamp isn`t as nice as Topeak`s though. Can`t have everything, I suppose.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Wow surprised to see that a lot of you are using pumps. I was thinking about getting a c02 system because it would be smaller and I would use it on my mtn bike rides. I don't necessarily want to bring a pump out on those. Well I guess a mini one that could fit in my camel pack wouldn't be a bad idea and then it would also fit into my panniers for commutes. I'll check out some of the mini pumps you guys mentioned. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I carry a pump (and bought one for my wife) because I can't run out of air. Space is cheap enough, weight is negligible compared to other things I carry, and I don't have to wonder if I have enough cartridges to do the job, or try to track down the *right* cartridges to fit my particular inflator. Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want to bring a pump on a mtb ride?

mtbr member
    I don't know. I was just thinking that would be something bulky to bring on the mtn bike ride. However, after researching some of the pumps they all are of decent enough size to fit in my camelback. I think I'm just going to go with the topeak roadmorph.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    If I ever see a pump the size of the old style frame pumps, but with a short flex hose and a little fold out foot, I`m buying it!

Remember Solomon76? In a similar thread a couple years ago, he posted pictures of a little hose adaptor ...
    All mine is missing is the hose... I had forgotten about that adapter deal... seems easy enough to rig up. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

The integrated CO2 would just be convenient...but you're right, the little chuck is pretty light and easy to use for the rare times when I would want it.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Don't wait for it to die. Thats what I did and barely made it home. The 40 bucks for a Lezyne Alloy Drive pump is well worth it. Still compact and it has that cool flexible hose.
    Yeah C02 in an emergency, but really not needed unless you commute on a Fat bike