mtbr member
    Jan 2010

I'm going crazy!

Ok, I need some help. I've been riding my new "commuter" bike with 700x32c tires for around two months now. I've had 6 flats on the back tire, and 4 in the last 2 days. What's the latest way to keep from flats? I've tried the "slime" and it doesn't hold up against the thorns out here. It's been windy on and off for the last couple weeks so it blows debris all over the place. I changed my rear tire to a Specialized Borough Pro and have 3 flats on that.

mtbr member
    I've heard west of the Missippi it's goathead season. Where you from?
    04 Stumpjumper Expert Disc
    10 Marin San Rafael

I Ride for Donuts
    Been there, done that. I'm in goathead country and I tried everything. Slime, liners, etc, etc. Go to a bigger volume tire (meaning you can get away with lower pressures), and go tubeless. I'm tubeless on my commuter and my mountain bike, and I haven't had a single flat on either one in almost two years. I pull goatheads out all the time and smirk while the sealant goes to work. I used gorilla tape and homebrew sealant (see the 'best tubeless brew' thread in the 29er forum) and I won't go back. Cheap and easy.

Before I went tubeless, the best luck I had was with thick, "thorn-proof" (they never are) tubes, and "Mr. Tuffy" liners. I still got flats eventually, but this system held out longer than anything else.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't see any mention of flat resistance in the description for that tire.

You might try tires that have some flat protection. It's not impervious, but much, much better than not having it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Moderator Moderator
    My sympathies - I've never gotten that many flats!

PRETENDURO
    If you can find them, might want to give the Panaracer Felted Kevlar tire liners a try. The only thing that I’ve found that will puncture them is hitting a 4" long carpentry nail at greater than 25MPH. Worth a try, if you’ve already tried all other avenues… although the Mr. Tuffy liners should be just as thorn-proof… but the Panaracer liners are super duper light weight.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I'll ask the obvious...are you pulling whatever caused the flat out of the tire before installing a new tube?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway
    I'll ask the obvious...are you pulling whatever caused the flat out of the tire before installing a new tube?
    Well the last flat to be honest I didn't. I thought I had, until I really scrubbed the tire in the area where the hole was in the same spot the last time. I found a microscopic sliver of glass in my finger.

I also did a little street cleaning yesterday when I dug out the piece of tin inbedded in the black top that started this latest run of bad luck. Maybe karma will kick in now and I'll go six month with out a flat...after I buy a rear Panaracer Felted Kevlar tire. I'll set it up tubeless. Since I went tubeless on my 29er, I had only one flat when the inside didn't have enough liquid. I went home, added 2 more ounces of Stans and was good to go.

Oh yeah, and just to be sure can the Panaracer Felted Kevlar tire be set up tubeless? The bead is Kevlar too, right?

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinaz
    Well the last flat to be honest I didn't. I thought I had, until I really scrubbed the tire in the area where the hole was in the same spot the last time. I found a microscopic sliver of glass in my finger.

I also did a little street cleaning yesterday when I dug out the piece of tin inbedded in the black top that started this latest run of bad luck. Maybe karma will kick in now and I'll go six month with out a flat...after I buy a rear Panaracer Felted Kevlar tire. I'll set it up tubeless. Since I went tubeless on my 29er, I had only one flat when the inside didn't have enough liquid. I went home, added 2 more ounces of Stans and was good to go.

Oh yeah, and just to be sure can the Panaracer Felted Kevlar tire be set up tubeless? The bead is Kevlar too, right?
    No no no no no, these are tire liners, not the tires themselves. These felted Kevlar liners have adhesive on one side, and can be used with any tire, I would assume even in a tubeless application.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

I Ride for Donuts
    The adhesive is a nice touch. The Tuffy's can be tuff to get lined up. Once they are in there, they are good though...they have a tapered edge, which is critical...the 'slime' brand liners are massively thick and thorn-proof, but I got flats at lower pressures because the edges of the liners themselves wore a razor-line cut all the way around the tube on both sides... no tapered edge, so it just wore away the rubber tube and eventually broke through. When I went to patch it it looked like someone had cut all the way around the tube with a razor knife. Impossible to patch.

I have also made my own liners by putting a few laps of duct tape inside the tire. That worked ok...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    No no no no no, these are tire liners, not the tires themselves. These felted Kevlar liners have adhesive on one side, and can be used with any tire, I would assume even in a tubeless application.
    Yeah, when I googled it I found out it's a liner. I may try those liners, just because I can't find a 700x32 with a suitible tread pattern, with a folding bead, with a TPI higher than 120. Plus, they look alot easier to manipulate than the "tuffy" kind. Oh, and I tried to run a folding bead Specialized tire and it never stopped seeping through the side wall and it has a 120TPI.

Has anybody found a slick or a semi-slick in a 700x32 that they've been able to run tubeless?

CB, I tried those kind of liners back in the early 90s and had some luck with them, but had better luck with slime in the tubes. I just unscrew the top of my presta valve, and let the threaded "post" drop into my fingertips while holding the tube. Then I put a shrader valve adapter on it and squeeze a couple ounces in the tube. My spare tube usually has slime in it too. Maybe I can find some thick thorn proof tubes, and load them up. The good news is I got a short 9 mile ride in yesterday with NO flat!!!! YEEHAAW. It almost felt like christmas when I got home.