Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IF you could...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

IF you could...

...what kind of new (commuter) bike would you go out and buy right now and why? Cost doesn't matter, just curious to see which bikes people would pick. If you'd rather have an older bike that's cool too.

As for me, I love the way the Specialized Vienna Deluxe 3 looks, and it comes with fenders, internal hub, chainguard, rack and generator hub stock, so not a whole lot to worry about. Plus, it looks really comfy to me.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by m121038; 11-15-2008 at 06:52 PM.

mtbr member
    http://www.ecovelo.info/2008/09/26/moots-comooter

moots comooter

its a bargain at 8750.00

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You rather put a velcro on your pants, than paying the extra labor to the mecanic that will work on your bike with this chain guard...

the hub generator makes extra friction that you need to compensate with your legs muscles...

Specialized often uses some non-standard components of their own design to oblige you to their brand. What happens if you need a back order part?

Commuter bikes should offer an option of higher handle bar than this. Some people want to be seated to have a better view, this one is a bit down foreward. This fork is already cut when you buy the bike, so extras will apply if you want a higher handle bar &/or a different stem.

The only company I know who is really on the spot for perfect comfort case by case with best quality/price ratio, is Velocycle: http://www.velocycle.com, this is my opinion, I ride 5 different of their bikes, & I would not ride any other now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ...what kind of new (commuter) bike would you go out and buy right now and why?
    A blue one!

Ok, j/k, I would build up a custom Soma Smoothie ES at sub-18 pounds (before accessories). Open Pro Ceramics, etc. I like 'em fast.

Next year I *am* getting the Smoothie ES frame and the IRD Mosaic fork... the fancy parts kit will have to come more gradually however

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the feedback, checking them out now

Honestly I don't know too much about bikes (hence seeing what people would want) so I appreciate that, I didn't know Specialized used many non-standard parts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Alright, I'll admit that I'm more of a sucker for a bike's color than anything else...

yellowboy: Just a bit curious, but which bikes do you have? I browsed through their online catalog but didn't see too many different cycles. I like the "a la carte" option, it definitely seems the way to go. The prices were a lot lower than I expected though, any way to find out more about them short of going to Canada?

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowboy
    You rather put a velcro on your pants, than paying the extra labor to the mecanic that will work on your bike with this chain guard...

the hub generator makes extra friction that you need to compensate with your legs muscles...

Specialized often uses some non-standard components of their own design to oblige you to their brand. What happens if you need a back order part?

Commuter bikes should offer an option of higher handle bar than this. Some people want to be seated to have a better view, this one is a bit down foreward. This fork is already cut when you buy the bike, so extras will apply if you want a higher handle bar &/or a different stem.

The only company I know who is really on the spot for perfect comfort case by case with best quality/price ratio, is Velocycle: http://www.velocycle.com, this is my opinion, I ride 5 different of their bikes, & I would not ride any other now.
    Sheesh! Everybody has different wants and needs the good thing is that there are plenty of choices for all of us!
    Chain guards: take three hours to remove? It`s no big deal, if you want one get one.
    Dyno hubs: Not nearly as inefficient as they used to be. With the light off, you`d never know you were spinning the magnets. They are a fool-proof, always available, no need to plan ahead option. I`ve had one for about 18 months and I`m sold for life.
    Specialized nonstandard components. Bummer, but it`s part of life- they are certainly not the only ones who play that game (Cannondale, Rivendell, Santana...)

My dream commuter would be one of Sacha White`s creations. Maybe an IG version of this one:

A serious man.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    http://www.scottusa.com/us_en/produc...1719/scale_ltd

This will be my dream bike for commuting. Change it to slick and it will be Fast and furious. Help me save a lot of travelling time with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BEETROOT
    took the words right out of my mouth

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wouldn't use it everyday, but if cost didn't matter I'd have one of these in my collection.

BIG and Bald
    I'm a pretty simple guy so I wouldn't want anything considered "boutique" or outside the norm. Ever since the Specialized Crosstrail came out, I've been attracted to it.

I'd add a rigid fork, upgrade the components, and of course throw on all of the best commuter goodies and accessories...nice light system and racks, mounted camera, air horn, self-inflatable tires, oil slick and mini-missle launchers!!!
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Heh... a german hub dynamo w/ blinding LED headlight from Peter White for my daily driver would cost about the same as a surly steamroller complete for a lightweight alternative to my existing 2 bikes.

But $$ be damned, a big dummy would be the answer for me, and that would probably not reduce the average weight of my little fleet.

Brackish
    Salsa Ala Carte with high-pressure-capable 1.5 slicks and a good set of full-wrap fenders.

Last edited by carbuncle; 11-17-2008 at 06:22 AM.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Since we're dealing in 'what-if' here....

2006 Schwinn SS DBX w/ Thudbuster ST post. Less than 24lb, disc brakes, and the required cush for my bad back. Liked the Scott SUB series, but they don't have enough top tube.... Redline's 'cross bike w/ disc tabs would be another choice, again w/ the Thud.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    Bakfiets all the way. Not very practical for a full on commuter but It'd be awesome for when I go running errands.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    I have been drooling over the Gary Fisher Mendota lately and also the Giant Seek 1

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    i would most likely build up a Surly, i really like the way they look and i think the steel frame would give a nice ride

mtbr member
    The Moots gets my vote

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    That Vanilla, but with discs and maybe an 8 speed IG hub.

Or anything custom.

But then I'd have to start wondering why my nicest bike is a commuter build exclusively. I'd want to ride it all of the time!

So I'd get a custom monstercross/adventure tourer 29er, much like the new Salsa Fargo. But custom. I like what I've seen of Signal Cycle' stuff, so maybe I'd try and get them to do it.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    It's really nice to own a top-dollar commuter- but I have lost too many already. Thieves will NEVER pass a chance to grab a nice commuter......locked or not. Why do you think Pawn Shops have all the sweet commuter bikes? In fact, I have always found a better commuter at Pawn Shops, while searching for my stolen one. I repeated this pattern over and over until I realized I was crapping up a tree(and I live in affluent Fremont, CA!). The day I got a cheap commuter- was the day nobody wanted to steal it. Who wants to steal a double-locked Roadmaster? I hate riding the bike, but it got me to my job for many months, without incident. I don't care what bike you ride- there is ALWAYS someone else casing your ride out, for that day they finally make their move.

Commuter bikes lost to theft:

1) Trek Soho - Someone used liquid nitrogen and destroyed the combo number pads, to grab this bike- my all-time favorite.
    2) Electra Townie - Two dopers cut the bike rack, to this bike. Witnesses saw them circling the bike and called cops....when cops arrived, they were GONE.
    3) Cannondale Comfort 700 - Chained this to a thin steel parking sign. Thief bent the sign over, and slid locked bike away.
    4) Gary Fisher Zebrano - Another victim of quick hands, and bolt cutters.

Bike thieves will PASS on cheap bikes, securely locked. But they will take the TIME to creatively get a high-end bike, at all costs.
    Last edited by Zachariah; 11-17-2008 at 12:57 PM.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'd keep my Cross Check, with a few modifications. I think the complete build is already close to a perfect commuter. Once you add lights, racks, fenders, and panniers, you're almost done.

The only major change I'd make is weld in some disc tabs to the frame and fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    It's really nice to own a top-dollar commuter- but I have lost too many already. Thieves will NEVER pass a chance to grab a nice commuter......locked or not. Why do think Pawn Shops have all the sweet commuter bikes? In fact, I have always found a better commuter at Pawn Shops, while searching for my stolen one. I repeated this pattern over and over until I realized I was crapping up a tree(and I live in affluent Fremont, CA!). The day I got a cheap commuter, was the day nobody wanted to steal it. Who wants to steal a double-locked Roadmaster? I hate riding the bike- but it got me to my job for many months, without incident. I don't care what bike you ride- there is ALWAYS someone else casing your ride out, for that day they finally make their move.

Commuter bikes lost to theft:

1) Trek Solo - Someone used liquid nitrogen and destroyed the combo number pads, to grab this bike- my all-time favorite.
    2) Electra Townie - Two dopers cut the bike rack, to this bike. Witnesses saw them circling the bike and called cops....when cops arrived, they were GONE.
    3) Cannondale Comfort 700 - Chained this to a thin steel parking sign. Thief bent the sign over, and slid locked bike away.
    4) Gary Fisher Zebrano - Another victim of quick hands, and bolt cutters.

Bike thieves will PASS on cheap bikes, securely locked. But they will take the TIME to creatively get a high-end bike, at all costs.
    Excellent point. I have heard about people getting quality fitting frames and so on and scuffing them up and re-painting them or trashing them to look like junk (scuffing name-brands off cranks & components, etc.). I have a trek Soho that I sort of hold my breath about too. I love to ride it, but I know it is definitely a target. You could probably get creative and even re-brand a nice bike with huffy stickers or something after the scuff n paint.. that is if you ride more for utility than appearance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    id go with a new van dessel country road bob...great tire clearance, disc brakes and SS, what more do you need...plus its soooo purdy

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

A Cheap One

I agree that a nice commuter bike is a target for thieves, and I'd rather spare myself the anxiety, heartache and cost of losing a bike I really cared about. I'm constantly on the lookout for cheap ($100 or less) bikes that I can use around town. Right now I have a cool old Cannondale that I bought used and have commuted on all summer and fall. I have toyed with the idea of buying a newer, nicer bike (maybe like a Fisher Mendota) and using it when I am not going to be leaving it unattended for hours, but for right now, my cheap bike works fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast