mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Ice spikes for mtb clipless shoes?

Can such a thing be had?

I Ride for Donuts
    For, like, walking on ice? You could use those traction chain things, or make something to thread into the threaded holes for the traction lugs that some shoes have...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    I use Icespikes on my winter workboots, they are far superior to anything else I've tried. You drill a small pilot hole and screw them in. Just don't walk across any wood floors, etc., they will scratch them. ICESPIKE ice cleats for traction on ice, snow and slippery conditions I think I got mine at ems.com They seemed expnsive for what they are but they are excellent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I use Icespikes on my winter workboots, they are far superior to anything else I've tried. You drill a small pilot hole and screw them in. Just don't walk across any wood floors, etc., they will scratch them. ICESPIKE ice cleats for traction on ice, snow and slippery conditions I think I got mine at ems.com They seemed expnsive for what they are but they are excellent.

Are there any that are removable for walking inside?

Moderator Moderator
    These are popular for walking/running here, but they might interfere with your cleats: https://www.yaktrax.com/product/pro

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yaktrax are okay, but Microspikes are the best of the not-quite-crampon-but-better-than-nothing market.

Due to the design, I imagine you could fudge wearing them and clipping in at the same time. You may not, though, so buyer beware. If you can find an EMS or REI, they'll probably let you try them on the shoe.

BTW, what do you want them for? A pair of shoes with toe spike compatibility and a set of carbide spikes would be sufficient for most everything but hike a bike...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Commuting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I use hex-head sheet metal screws screwed into the soles of my winter mtb shoes. I use them for singletrack/pond/river riding in the winter. They can be had for about a nickel each at a hardware store and will not slip when you put your foot down on ice. I wouldn't ride in the winter without some sort of studded shoe. Not removable for indoor use but I thought I would share anyway.