Positively negative
    Mar 2010

I want a new bike, but I'm being picky

Currently riding a Karate Monkey set up as a hybrid (Krampus fork, 40mm tires, sweepy bars, 1x10) but I want something lighter and sportier.

Ideally I want something that has some compliance built into the frame and skinny seatpost for comfort. Carbon fork to cut weight. Non-suspension corrected for max frame bag space. Tire clearance for 40s, but I'll take as much as I can get. And, the biggest hang up I'm having with the bikes I've looked at so far, common standards for the headset, bottom bracket, front and rear hubs/axles, brakes, fork length, ETC.

I have no interest in drop bars, nor do I want to convert a drop bar bike to mtb bars. I have tried that before, many times, and it never worked for me.

Anyone know of any options?

EXORCIZE
    OG Monkey as you have it built is a good choice as I don't see much to be improved upon. I guess a lighter bike would feel sportier, maybe? Carbon Monkey?!? Add a carbon fork?

I considered an OG Monkey with alt bars, but went with a carbon Haanjo (460mm drop bars with some sweep, relaxed geo, 175mm cranks, disc brakes, 40mm tires on 21mm IW tubeless rims).

Other ideas: Cannondale Bad Boy, Cotic Roadrat (no US distributor), used SIR9 or One9, Kona Dew or Big Rove (alum, long stays).
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I was actually looking into carbon forks yesterday. It started because I almost bought a Diamondback Insight 3 but decided it wouldn't be enough of an improvement for the cost.

I think the biggest issues I have with the KM are the weight, the small triangle limiting frame bag space, and the limit on 1x ring size (38t).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    ... the limit on 1x ring size (38t).
    What's limiting the chainring size?

I'm running a poor man's 1x10 with a 48t chainring on a Cube Attention... The 48t is in the middle position of the old triple, and just barely clears the frame, but it does clear. It works well.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer74 View Post
    What's limiting the chainring size?

I'm running a poor man's 1x10 with a 48t chainring on a Cube Attention... The 48t is in the middle position of the old triple, and just barely clears the frame, but it does clear. It works well.
    The chain stay. Currently running a 1x10 with a Sunrace 11-40 cassette and LX triple crankset and with the 38t Wolftooth ring in the middle position I have ~2mm clearance to the stay, and I bassicly can't back pedal in the 3 largest cogs without the chain jumping down the cassette.

Gotta build a new back wheel SOON, as my hub is dieing, and I'm considering going XD to get the 10. But again, I don't think it will be worth the expense. Especially since I already have a hub sitting around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So is the problem that you can't run a bigger chainring, or that this one jumps down the cassette in the position it's in?

BTW, 2mm is a lot of clearance. I think I have 1/2mm or less... It actually looks like it's touching, but it's not. The chainring doesn't flex in that position, so virtually no clearance is fine.

So, running a bigger chainring or using a set of spacers to close up that 2mm would be fine, I think.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I actually tried some spacers between the ring and cassette to improve the backpedal issue. Long story short, the ring will rub under load if it gets any closer and/or bigger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Kona just dropped they're new 2018 Dr. Dew and it looks damn good, although I'm not sure the ride will be massively different from your current setup. It should be a good bit lighter and have more up to date standards. KONA BIKES | ROAD | DEW | Dr Dew

I know its not what you want to hear but I think your only gonna notice a really big change in zippyness if you step up to a cyclocross/gravel bike, I built up a Soma Wolverine with a whisky carbon fork for days when I wanted something quicker than my Velo Orange Piolet that is setup in commuter mode.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wtrmlnsp View Post
    Kona just dropped they're new 2018 Dr. Dew and it looks damn good, although I'm not sure the ride will be massively different from your current setup. It should be a good bit lighter and have more up to date standards. KONA BIKES | ROAD | DEW | Dr Dew

I know its not what you want to hear but I think your only gonna notice a really big change in zippyness if you step up to a cyclocross/gravel bike, I built up a Soma Wolverine with a whisky carbon fork for days when I wanted something quicker than my Velo Orange Piolet that is setup in commuter mode.
    I've always liked Konas and that's a nice looking bike, but it has a 410mm fork, no built in compliance, and 650b wheels/tires.

I the past I have tried a Pake C'mute with mtb bars, a Soma Double Cross with mtb bars, and a Voodoo Wazoo with both mtb bars and drops. The DC and C'mute both felt pretty harsh, which I would blame on the small a mount of exposed post. This will likely be the case with most converted drop bar bikes. The Voodoo felt like a wet noodle, especially with the mtb bars because I had to use a 150mm stem to get them in the right place, but it was built to be lite for cx race use.

Like I said I'm being picky, mostly because I have tried most of the other options.

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Just so I'm clear...have you ruled out a pennyfarthing?
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    I've always liked Konas and that's a nice looking bike, but it has a 410mm fork, no built in compliance, and 650b wheels/tires.
    650x47 road tires? Uggh. Kona actually found a way to make the Dew even frumpier.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

turtles make me hot
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/toughroad-slr-1-2018

I sampled one of these last year. Was about to grab one and then got distracted by Surly's Big Fat Dummy.
    I like turtles

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/toughroad-slr-1-2018

I sampled one of these last year. Was about to grab one and then got distracted by Surly's Big Fat Dummy.
    That is frustratingly close. I may track one down for a test ride, but it'll have to be amazing for me to overlook that stupid 1 1/4" steerer.

turtles make me hot
    Oh crap. I had not noticed. It is a good bike though. You may very well overlook it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    What about a Crust Evasion? It can run 650b x 50mm... (not sure what size you are running on your KM) I've considered upgrading from my Surly Troll to the Evasion for more open space in the triangle. It is still a steel bike so it might not save much weight, if any.