Positively negative
    Mar 2010

I want a new bike, but I'm being picky

Currently riding a Karate Monkey set up as a hybrid (Krampus fork, 40mm tires, sweepy bars, 1x10) but I want something lighter and sportier.

Ideally I want something that has some compliance built into the frame and skinny seatpost for comfort. Carbon fork to cut weight. Non-suspension corrected for max frame bag space. Tire clearance for 40s, but I'll take as much as I can get. And, the biggest hang up I'm having with the bikes I've looked at so far, common standards for the headset, bottom bracket, front and rear hubs/axles, brakes, fork length, ETC.

I have no interest in drop bars, nor do I want to convert a drop bar bike to mtb bars. I have tried that before, many times, and it never worked for me.

Anyone know of any options?

EXORCIZE
    OG Monkey as you have it built is a good choice as I don't see much to be improved upon. I guess a lighter bike would feel sportier, maybe? Carbon Monkey?!? Add a carbon fork?

I considered an OG Monkey with alt bars, but went with a carbon Haanjo (460mm drop bars with some sweep, relaxed geo, 175mm cranks, disc brakes, 40mm tires on 21mm IW tubeless rims).

Other ideas: Cannondale Bad Boy, Cotic Roadrat (no US distributor), used SIR9 or One9, Kona Dew or Big Rove (alum, long stays).
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail
    2011 Kona Unit

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I was actually looking into carbon forks yesterday. It started because I almost bought a Diamondback Insight 3 but decided it wouldn't be enough of an improvement for the cost.

I think the biggest issues I have with the KM are the weight, the small triangle limiting frame bag space, and the limit on 1x ring size (38t).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    ... the limit on 1x ring size (38t).
    What's limiting the chainring size?

I'm running a poor man's 1x10 with a 48t chainring on a Cube Attention... The 48t is in the middle position of the old triple, and just barely clears the frame, but it does clear. It works well.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer74 View Post
    What's limiting the chainring size?

I'm running a poor man's 1x10 with a 48t chainring on a Cube Attention... The 48t is in the middle position of the old triple, and just barely clears the frame, but it does clear. It works well.
    The chain stay. Currently running a 1x10 with a Sunrace 11-40 cassette and LX triple crankset and with the 38t Wolftooth ring in the middle position I have ~2mm clearance to the stay, and I bassicly can't back pedal in the 3 largest cogs without the chain jumping down the cassette.

Gotta build a new back wheel SOON, as my hub is dieing, and I'm considering going XD to get the 10. But again, I don't think it will be worth the expense. Especially since I already have a hub sitting around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So is the problem that you can't run a bigger chainring, or that this one jumps down the cassette in the position it's in?

BTW, 2mm is a lot of clearance. I think I have 1/2mm or less... It actually looks like it's touching, but it's not. The chainring doesn't flex in that position, so virtually no clearance is fine.

So, running a bigger chainring or using a set of spacers to close up that 2mm would be fine, I think.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I actually tried some spacers between the ring and cassette to improve the backpedal issue. Long story short, the ring will rub under load if it gets any closer and/or bigger.