mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well I really miss commuting!

I just wanted to stop by and say that I'm envious of all of you that continue to commute by bike. I haven't posted since July/August because I transferred back to the U.S. in August and I haven't ridden my bike since leaving Germany. I'm currently in Tampa, FL and although the weather is perfect for cycling, the infrastructure here doesn't facilitate bicycle traffic like what Iím used to (Germany spoiled me). A lot of the people that I see riding bicycles around here have no idea what they are doing either. Iím constantly seeing people riding without helmets ; riding without reflective gear or lights, well after daylight hours ; and worst of all, riding on the wrong side of the road (against the flow of traffic) .

One day I may build up the courage to put my life on the line by riding from my house to my job, but it would more than likely end up being on a weekend when there is less traffic. The ride would end up being just under 30 flat miles each way, which would be well within my ability considering the amount of hilly miles I was putting in before I left Germany.

I hope you all continue to enjoy your commutes. I wish that I was still part of the club.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    hoping you a soon return to the club Solomon, your posts were always rich on scenery and worth in info...I think we live trough your pics and vids how you were being spoiled

Get the courage soon!

Moderator Moderator
    Tampa sounds like a nightmare for bike commuters - hope you can enjoy some weekend rides or put in for a transfer!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    mtbxplorer, there were 10 cyclist fatalities in the Tampa Bay area between July 29, 2010 and December 20, 2010. This article lists the 9 that took place from July 29th to November 16th (http://tampaplanet.com/tiki-index.ph...0Death%20Watch), and there was another one on December 20th. So basically for the past 5 months, 2 people per month have died riding their bicycles in the Tampa Bay area.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

Moderator Moderator
    That's horrendous.

weirdo
    Hey, Solomon- I was hoping we`d hear from you now that you`re back stateside! Sorry the biking situation isn`t turning out very well. MB1 used to post up some nice ride reports from somewhere in FL, but I don`t know where he was exactly. Would a bike rack on your car help get to some better rides?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    rodar, I could get with some other cyclist and do some group rides. There are quite a bit of cyclists on the base. I don't mind doing group rides or training for races, but I'm more of an explorer. I just like to ride to different places to see what all I can see. However, one has to be conscious of where they can and can't ride safely here. I could also ride through mine and surrounding neighborhoods, which is what I'll probably end up doing. It just won't be as exciting as riding from one city to another city/country or riding through 3 different countries in one ride, but I guess I have to take what I can get. I have started running more to try to maintain my fitness level. But my run times have REALLY SLOWED DOWN since I don't ride my bike everywhere like I used to.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    So Florida is running almost 2 X the death rate on pedestrains and almost 3 X on cyclists!

Looking it over, as they are reported here, most look like the cyclist was at least partly to blame (or was blamed whether they were to blame or not?).. Two run over from behinds but no indication of time of day or lighting.

The one that is an obvious problem, is that a guy runs a red , loses control, hits a cyclist on the sidewalk and kills him and is only charged with running the light? Motor vehicular manslaughter at least! Seems a slam dunk to me! Was someone bought off here?