Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

I know, I know kickstands are bad, but....

I am considering installing a kickstand on my commuter. With panniers, loading, unloading, and storing my bike I think it would help. I know kickstand are a no no on mountain bikes, I don't have one on mine. So I guess I'm wondering if it is still a bad idea on a commuter.

I searched and only found one thread about kickstands on commuters back in 2008.

So if it is advised, which one is good? Thanks!

Mike

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix
    I am considering installing a kickstand on my commuter. With panniers, loading, unloading, and storing my bike I think it would help. I know kickstand are a no no on mountain bikes, I don't have one on mine. So I guess I'm wondering if it is still a bad idea on a commuter.

I searched and only found one thread about kickstands on commuters back in 2008.

Mike
    Kickstands are fine on a commuter.

When I built up mine, I did not even consider a kickstand, but after my wife demanded one on her cruiser and I saw how much it gets used, I have come around, and I am looking for one for mine. I am looking for a two legged one. Civia and Pletscher both make them.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    I knew about the Pletscher's, they look nice, expensive but nice. I did not know about the Civia, thanks! I wonder why a 2 legged one? Do they stand straight up?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I knew about the Pletscher's, they look nice, expensive but nice. I did not know about the Civia, thanks! I wonder why a 2 legged one? Do they stand straight up?
    Yes, it keeps the bike straight up, lifting the front or the back (whichever is lighter) up off the ground a tad.

mtbr member
    Which is better between the 2? The Civia is half the price of the Pletscher.

Ariolimax columbianus

velo orange.....

....stocks a lot of nice stuff for the retro grouch....i like this one but it's outta stock for now
    http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...kickstand.html

my buddies gotta pletscher on his tourer, it'll stand the thing straight up with a full load....i think the rivendell folks are all over 'em......who cares what's cool or not....at least you're ridin.

mtbr member
    The Porteur Double Kickstand looks cool. Decisions, decisions........

Ariolimax columbianus

click-stand too.....

http://www.click-stand.com/ ........always been interested in these, custom though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There is cool and there is functionality. I could not get by without a kickstand on my commuter period. While I have the cheap one legged clamp-on classic kickstand, it works great when I need to get through a door, or not lay may trunk/panniers on the ground with my clothes and laptop.

The only thing that has begun to annoy me with mine is that warbly sound when you kick it up. It sounds so 1980s Schwinn Varsity .

I still would not go without.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Centerstand FTW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson
    http://www.click-stand.com/ ........always been interested in these, custom though.

Not bad, but I think i would prefer the bolt on type.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    Centerstand FTW

What do you mean?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Mike
    you're in the commuter forum bud, where functionality is king. If kickstand is what works fer ya, go for it!

I will tell you, if you are putting any kind of panniers/load bearing gear... get a fairly sturdy centerstand.

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm debating on either the Civia or the Pletscher.

mtbr member
    I have a one leg (free) alloy one. But I can lean my bike against a tree or a sign at the farmer's market and store respectively. A two-leg is on my wish list.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What do you mean?
    No leaning, no tipping over - it just stands straight up. Works great on tilted or uneven surfaces - and you don't have to worry about weight bringing your bike down. They are much heavier than your average kickstand, but on a bike like this, I'm not too concerned. I guess for bicycles we call them "double kickstands" but for motorcycles they are called centerstands.

When it comes to practicality, I don't like falling into the cycling elitist pitfall. Hey, For many applications, kickstands RULE. My wife taught me this - I asked her if she wanted her kickstand removed and she said "no". So we pull up to take a break, and I'm walking around looking for a place to lean my bike and she just plops that thing down and relaxes.

Those are also dirt bike (as in motorcycle) handlebars. I couldn't find a cruiser handlebar that was wide and wasn't curved back, so I took an old dirt bike handlebar and fit it into the quill stem with some shims. Totally comfy and upright.

I know, I know kickstands are bad, but....-img_0009.jpg

I also have the Velo Orange Wheel Stabilizer: combined with the centerstand I don't get a whole lot of tipping over due to a loaded front end.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    My wife taught me this - I asked her if she wanted her kickstand removed and she said "no". So we pull up to take a break, and I'm walking around looking for a place to lean my bike and she just plops that thing down and relaxes.
    This is exactly what made me come around

I also have the Velo Orange Wheel Stabilizer: combined with the centerstand I don't get a whole lot of tipping over due to a loaded front end.
    How tight does that need to be? Does it affect how the bike steers? I have a front rack and basket that gets bit floppy when loaded, and some sort of stabilizer would be great when parking the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    How tight does that need to be? Does it affect how the bike steers? I have a front rack and basket that gets bit floppy when loaded, and some sort of stabilizer would be great when parking the bike.
    It's kinda neat because you can adjust the damper. The heavier the load, the more you can tighten it up. The mounts it came with didn't work with my frame, so I simply used a hose clamp, eliminating my ability to adjust it on the fly.

The "tightness" takes a ride around the block to get used to the change in steering. It's nothing that isn't overcome very quickly, though.

Combined with the centerstand, I love this bike for grocery gettin'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    OH! And one more thing about the double kickstand...

It makes fixing a flat a BREEZE. It's so nice when you're bike isn't laying on the ground or propped up haphazardly on a rock or planter box ledge.

weirdo
    I thought Pletschers were the only double kickstands. Guess not.

I`ve considered one from time to time, and I sure don`t knock them, but I usually just lay my bike on the ground if I can`t find anything handy to lean it against. If I did have a kickstand, I probably wouldn`t get that occasional slip-roll-whoops! that comes from leaning it against stuff. Maybe I ought to just make a habbit of laying it over to begin with.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I ended up buying the Pletschers. I hope I like it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I ended up buying the Pletschers.
    Mine came in today for my Commuter Monkey.
    I hope I like it.
    Me too. Pricey. I was worried about crushed chainstays so I got the "deluxe top plate".

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You guys are all stoned.
    I have a $7 kickstand on my Big Dummy and it works great.
    No need to spend so much money.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    You guys are all stoned.
    I have a $7 kickstand on my Big Dummy and it works great.
    No need to spend so much money.
    Is it a two legged one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Odum
    Mine came in today for my Commuter Monkey.
    Me too. Pricey. I was worried about crushed chainstays so I got the "deluxe top plate".

Well how do you like it????

I think I will order the rubber feet along with the deluxe top plate. Thanks for the link.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast