mtbr member
    Sep 2013

I invented Rideye: The Black Box Camera For Cyclists. Ask me anything!

Hey guys! I’ve spent the last year developing a product which I have recently launched as a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign.

RIDEYE: The Black Box Camera For Your Bike by Cedric Bosch ? Kickstarter

“Rideye is a black box camera for cyclists. Inspired by the black box in an airplane, it continuously records HD video in a never-ending loop, protecting you from hit-and-runs and false claims. Rideye has crash detection sensors which will detect an accident and protect critical files for future review. It’s incredibly easy to use- just one press of the button turns it on or off. Rideye’s battery lasts 24 hours, easily enough for a full month of commuting.”

The project has been a huge success so far, and with the quantities we are projected to hit, I will be able to add some features requested by the cycling community. I am going on various cycling forums to get an idea of what people want to change about Rideye.

I’d appreciate any and all suggestions or comments! Thank you very much for your time.

Cedric

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nice. But it should be GPS enabled to record speed and direction to be able to call it a "black box". Also, it wouldn't be able to capture video when you're rear ended by a car which I guess makes up of a higher percentage of bike accidents.

Anyway, it is a good start and the fact that it can record for weeks without changing batteries should put Go-Pro cameras to shame.

More power to your endeavor!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Could you make this camera to where it's just a helmet cam with a really long battery life, no wi-fi, no remote, none of that stupid crap that I don't need?

Just make it to where it's small, light, can read license plates very well, has that 24 hour battery, uses full size SD cards as I hate those little ones, beep when the battery runs out, beeps when the memory card is full, and beeps differently when you turn it on. Kinda like a drift hd720 except better.

Low light ability is also essential.

That long run time would be great. Two hours ain't crap from my rides.

If you can make it fairly cheap that would be great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
    Hey guys! I’ve spent the last year developing a product which I have recently launched as a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign. I’d appreciate any and all suggestions or comments! Thank you very much for your time.

Cedric
    Probably more traffic miles ridden here than by others in other forums per regular follower of the forum. I would have liked to have seen some dark road footage to see how capable the camera is in low light. Lit streets don't count. PS The rider in the video is pressing his luck IMHO. The real goal is never to need the footage on this camera, not to increase the chances of needing it, unless that was ridden that way to set up and show close calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam168 View Post
    Nice. But it should be GPS enabled to record speed and direction to be able to call it a "black box". Also, it wouldn't be able to capture video when you're rear ended by a car which I guess makes up of a higher percentage of bike accidents. Anyway, it is a good start and the fact that it can record for weeks without changing batteries should put Go-Pro cameras to shame. More power to your endeavor!
    Yes, it needs to be high def or you can't reliably read license plates. I have a Drift Stealth (retired) and a Drift HD, helmet mount with auxiliary USB power and 2.5 hour storage. I assume that if you want to download the footage of the 2.5 hour loop of the black box that you can do so easily.

Can you use the audio tracks for the time and GPS and direction, or a frame stamp? Rear accidents are about 20 % of accidents but have 40% of fatalities (and the chance of fatalities increases exponentially with speed of the overtaking vehicle). So maybe an optional set of mounts (seat rails, seat tube, rear rack, top of fender?) so that a second rear facing unit can be easily bought and installed.

Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    Could you make this camera to where it's just a helmet cam with a really long battery life, no wi-fi, no remote, none of that stupid crap that I don't need? Just make it to where it's small, light, can read license plates very well, has that 24 hour battery, uses full size SD cards as I hate those little ones, beep when the battery runs out, beeps when the memory card is full, and beeps differently when you turn it on. Kinda like a drift hd720 except better. Low light ability is also essential. That long run time would be great. Two hours ain't crap from my rides.If you can make it fairly cheap that would be great.
    And maybe if it could give this week's winning lottery numbers? Sometimes you have to give everyone some feature(s) they don't want and won't use so you can sell enough units to kept the price reasonable. I'd give up Wifi in a heartbeat for good low light capability (automatic, because this is an install and forget about it -other than charging).

I know we are asking for a lot. Not sure I care that much about the micro SD cards. Unless the card goes bad, they are install and forget about them as long as the unit has a USB port to download from. The mini SD cards are easier but it isn't high on my list. I suppose if we cycle tour, and this is doubling as a POV camera, and we want to record 5 hours of video a day, to move to laptop that night, it becomes an issue.

Does it make several files for the 2.5 hours and erase the oldest when full? Or does it erase one file and start clean? The latter could lose a lot of info if it happened just before the accident.

A rotatable lens and a helmet mount would let the cyclist look at a driver who is an issue and record them (see YouTube for instances of this), but two Li-ion 18650's in the camera on the side of the helmet would not balance well. That would require a separate battery pack for the other side to balance it out. Or a top of the helmet mount where a helmet light might be in the way.

A car dash mount would increase the market you'd have. A lot of drivers would like a set and almost forget unit that could recharge from the lighter socket. They'd only need a green LED to say it is A-OK and they would not need to do anything with it unless there was an accident. They would like a rear view one, too I suspect.

I invented Rideye: The Black Box Camera For Cyclists. Ask me anything!

Yeah, helmet plus rear mount would be nice. But honestly puting it anywhere on the helmet presents mounting conflict problems for commuters (lights, some mirrors) so I would like a very flexible QR mounting system.

How about optional dynamo hub connection? Make it a truly set-and-forget item.

Agree about light performance. Needs to work well in the dark and not wash out with headlights/streetlights shining at it. This is essential this time of year where a lot of commuters don't ride in daylight for months.

I do kinda agree to keep it simple but if the wifi can be used to aim the camera, I'd say to keep it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How is wifi going to aim the camera? It should have a wide enough lens to take in everything anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    How is wifi going to aim the camera? It should have a wide enough lens to take in everything anyway.
    A camera with no screen is not as easy to aim as you might think. Ever try to use a GoPro or a Contour camera without a screen? I have a GoPro. It takes practice to aim it just right. Newer models (of both brands) have WiFi so a smartphone can be used as a remote screen to aid with aiming. Being that this camera only has a handlebar mount, it's not a big deal either way. But if you want to mount the camera on your helmet so you can turn to look at the license plate of a car that buzzed you, you'll appreciate any assistance aiming the camera that you can get.

mtbr member
    ^^ Yes the Drift HD has a screen. The helmet rotates to the side with the camera even though I have a USB voltage converter on the other side to balance it is not enough. So a static setting is close but no cigar. It is very hard to use the screen when it is above your left ear! Even worse, mounted on that side, the screen view is inverted so that the final shots aren't upside down on the computer.

mtbr member
    I think you have a good idea here! Not just for black box purposes but for general riding. The problem with Gopro type set ups is you probably won't have it on when the wildlife crosses your path or you run into someone on the trail. With continuous looping, you can simply stop the the recording when something cool happens and know you have it captured.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Nice
    But ! the idea has been around for a while
    I built one a few years ago and tried to get some interest- even with the local cycling organisation. zippo. But now perhaps its time has come... Good luck with it.
    See here for the history :

Cyclist?s Black Box | glenenglish