Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,067

    I got hit by a car today

    While riding to work I got hit by a car. It came from behind me and hit my handlebar with the mirror, and BAM I was on the ground, in -17C. M0therfukker!! Luckily I soon found out I was alive and nothing was broken, no injuries whatsoever except I felt like you would feel when falling from like 1 meter down on the ground, kinda mangled. Been riding that same road for many months now and car usually pass me at a great distance and at low speed. I estimate this car going at 40km/h, and myself at about 5km/h maybe (28cog in the rear and 36 up front)

    I heard some bad excuses from the woman driver, oh its kinda dark here (its a country road) but infact it was morning but I'd say 99% daylight at the time, AND I was wearing my new jacket that ****ing GLOWS IN THE DARK for 2 hours after it stops getting light (yes its true).

    Anyway the handlebar looks a little bent, not much but its there, and I know it is from this incident. Being alu and all, I'm thinking of replacing it before it snaps or cracks on me. I'm guessing the driver artificially degraded it or put in 10-15 years of "use" with that crash.

    Would you replace it if it was you in this crash?

    What a ****ing day.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,828
    Yikes, a terrible way to start the day, to say the least. Glad to hear you are not hurt worse. Yes, I would replace the bars, for peace of mind if nothing else, and probably the helmet.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mylo_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    While riding to work I got hit by a car. It came from behind me and hit my handlebar with the mirror, and BAM I was on the ground, in -17C. M0therfukker!! Luckily I soon found out I was alive and nothing was broken, no injuries whatsoever except I felt like you would feel when falling from like 1 meter down on the ground, kinda mangled. Been riding that same road for many months now and car usually pass me at a great distance and at low speed. I estimate this car going at 40km/h, and myself at about 5km/h maybe (28cog in the rear and 36 up front)

    I heard some bad excuses from the woman driver, oh its kinda dark here (its a country road) but infact it was morning but I'd say 99% daylight at the time, AND I was wearing my new jacket that ****ing GLOWS IN THE DARK for 2 hours after it stops getting light (yes its true).

    Anyway the handlebar looks a little bent, not much but its there, and I know it is from this incident. Being alu and all, I'm thinking of replacing it before it snaps or cracks on me. I'm guessing the driver artificially degraded it or put in 10-15 years of "use" with that crash.

    Would you replace it if it was you in this crash?

    What a ****ing day.
    Well, that sure sucks... I didnt read any mention of a tailight. That would be important for night/dusk riding... I've had a few close calls, not fun.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    770
    Bars and maybe the stem too. A impact like that could have mucked up the stem cap

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Desert Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    368
    Dude, hope you are ok. So, no injuries? Hope not. Maybe that driver would be kind enough to give you a hot bowl of soup and some new bars. Hope everything works out ok for you.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wallstreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    344
    Scary! Stupid lady was distracted!!!

    I have been hit twice, on my road race bike and I can understand how crappy it can be! Replace the parts and helmet if you knocked it. Her insurance I hope covers you. I wonder if it would have been useful to have a rear small mirror.

    Glad to hear you seem fairly unscathed.

  7. #7
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Mylo_ View Post
    Well, that sure sucks... I didnt read any mention of a tailight. That would be important for night/dusk riding... I've had a few close calls, not fun.
    I have a blinking one, didn't even turn it on on that stretch, it wasn't dark outside then. And also its full of snow to light everything up.

    Lone desert. no injuries. sore knee, sore back, i landed on my side so the bone between my azzcheeks got its fair share of gravity. I once tried snowboarding and landed sideways on my ass and that time I couldn't walk for a week. Same bone. You know there was no time to react, just bam and i'm on the ground just like that.

    war boom, maybe the stem too? I can kinda see the stem taking what the bars didn't.
    Yeah, the driver will probably pay for it. Its no expensive parts, in this country the drivers that crash into anything from behind are 100% responsible because the weren't apparantly paying enough attention. Alu is weird because if you load it enough over time it will just crack and then I'm outta teeth all the sudden. And now I have a feeling the bar has had its 9 lives.

    I'm guessing what actually got me was a smartphone
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  8. #8
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post

    Glad to hear you seem fairly unscathed.
    Yeah I rode the rest of the way to work. couldn't really work that hard today but still.
    I could have been a lot deader.

    Some people at work said I was lucky to be alive. But IMO this is like one of 2 persons that has passed me closer than 1m in like 9 months on so I feel I was in fact very unlucky instead. Most people here actually keep enough concentration on their driving and enough sense to keep distance to prevent this (common sense), this one did neither. That just plain bad luck.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  9. #9
    29er and 26er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    671
    I've never been hit, and I hope I never will be. Sorry to hear about your accident and I hope you and your bike are all better in no time.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    384
    You know if I got hit by a car I think I'd take the rest of the day off. Just saying.

  11. #11
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,431
    ^^ No kidding. But this guy is a "Bada$$"

    Sorry to hear about this man... hopefully you don't get any delayed pain... sounds like you got her information and she's paying for your new parts, so that's the good part. I'd get her to buy me a crazy bright taillight too.

    Sounds like it could have been a whole lot worse.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  12. #12
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    You know if I got hit by a car I think I'd take the rest of the day off. Just saying.
    yeah I know, its the normal thing to do for sure. But for me to go back home is like 1.5hr trip in the cold and to get to work from there was only 15mins.

    But the thing is: you can never stop, never let crap get to you no matter what, you need to keep going, need to keep moving and never let **** like this drag you down or even make a dent, need to keep performing at 100% no matter what, no matter where, no matter why.

    And never menatally give up, thats when you die. and I'm not a dier.

    Also this tune I heard on the radio kept me going for at least an hour, I was so happy i caught it and wrote it down. It sounded so lovely at the time. I just forgot about the pain

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uwChYBZmd8Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  13. #13
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ No kidding. But this guy is a "Bada$$"

    Sorry to hear about this man... hopefully you don't get any delayed pain... sounds like you got her information and she's paying for your new parts, so that's the good part. I'd get her to buy me a crazy bright taillight too.

    Sounds like it could have been a whole lot worse.

    hahahah I should change the sig to "getting hit by cars and riding away, is badass, period"

    Seriously though, I could easily have had my head squashed under a truck or something, luckily most people here think with more than their asses while driving and keep their distance, otherwise, well, there would be no otherwise then, I don't even want to imagine that situation.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,129
    Sorry for the hit. I can tell you that being dumped with no warning can cost you eyeglasses, consciousness, twelve stitches, numerous facial scars, and a week off the bike. Only hitting the ground. So you were lucky in your unluckiness.

    If you can do it have the bike checked over. The bar and stem given aluminum's failure modes seems wise. Also any of you clothes that were damages and the helmet. If the insurance adjuster complains, bring up the pain and suffering aspect. Shouldn't be hard for a bada$$, That should get the check written. I use day visible tail lights even in broad daylight hoping to keep distracted drivers away. So far is is working.

    Good luck with this,

    BrianMc

  15. #15
    Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    17,734
    +1 to a new handlebar.

    If aluminum is stressed enough to yield, just chuck it. I wouldn't be surprised if you found some cracks if you looked closely.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,103
    Sucks man, get better soon

  17. #17
    Talentless Hack
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,421
    Took a mirror-to-mirror hit from woman in a passing Honda (that cracked my mirror and folded hers back) a few winters back in snowy evening conditions. Induced quite a wobble, but I sort of bounced off her passenger door and then a wall-shaped snowbank at the side of the road and stayed upright.

    The driver didn't stop, but she got boxed in at the next intersection and I was able to have an astonishingly polite conversation with her about why she hit me and took off.

    Nothing she said made any sense in the context of basic spatial geometry. She said she saw me (I had two superflash lights on) and that she knew she had plenty of room passing me, and that as she passed she thought the crunch noise had been her car hitting the snowbank at the side of the road.

    Yeah, glad to hear you're fine despite hitting the deck, rest up and back at 'em.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

  18. #18
    Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Reputation: hunter006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    449
    Short list of what I would have replaced: I'd tell insurance to replace everything reminding them that they hit a bike, not a car, and probably replace the handlebars, stem, frame, seat, seatpost and wheels in that order until I felt it was safe and back to pre-crash condition - right down to the spokes. If someone else is paying for it, I'd have the bike shop write off all the parts and have them pay out the whole bike. The thing with impacts is you just don't know what damage was done under the paint, and bikes aren't supposed to be subjected to certain types of forces.

    You may choose to do something different, but if it were me in the same position, I'd be saying new for old, replace everything, and it's not just because I like new stuff. I've had weird sh*t break before because an impact 3 weeks prior fatigued the metal in strange ways. I'm sure my LBS mechanic would do it too. EDIT: If you're trying to do this off the books... don't. It's just not worth it. One guy that we worked with hit another cyclist, then refused to cough up to force it to go to small claims court. The cyclist would have won, but he would have lost more money having to fight the claim than it would have cost him to just pay for the damage himself.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    387
    Tell me you at least called the police, filed a report and she was cited.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Niner Air 9 Carbon
    Karate Monkey SS
    Misfit DiSSent

  20. #20
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post

    The driver didn't stop, but she got boxed in at the next intersection and I was able to have an astonishingly polite conversation with her about why she hit me and took off.

    Nothing she said made any sense in the context of basic spatial geometry. She said she saw me (I had two superflash lights on) and that she knew she had plenty of room passing me, and that as she passed she thought the crunch noise had been her car hitting the snowbank at the side of the road.

    Yeah, glad to hear you're fine despite hitting the deck, rest up and back at 'em.
    she was probably texting or something similar, if they run away from an accident here they go to jail. astonishingly polite conversation I can imagine...

    Today I felt totally mangeled so I took the day off. I needed additional rest for the body to heal.



    Anyway guys thanks for your support!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  21. #21
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    Tell me you at least called the police, filed a report and she was cited.
    No since there was no visible damage to the bike and I was relatively undamaged too I saw no reason for it. But this country is not a country where we sue each other for the smallest little thing, the cops would definitely just have thrown it out anyway since there was no seriois damage. The don't have time for this here apparently. Neither do the courts. its very low priority.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    No since there was no visible damage to the bike and I was relatively undamaged too I saw no reason for it. But this country is not a country where we sue each other for the smallest little thing, the cops would definitely just have thrown it out anyway since there was no seriois damage. The don't have time for this here apparently. Neither do the courts. its very low priority.
    What country doesn't punish poor driving? Im not talking about taking her to court but she should at least have this on her driving record.

  23. #23
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,917
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post
    What country doesn't punish poor driving? Im not talking about taking her to court but she should at least have this on her driving record.
    agreed. it's not about "suing". she could have killed you for failing to give space. yes, the lack of damage would certainly mitigate her punishment, but I think a citation would be par for the course, and that would appear on her driving record and cause her insurance rates to go up. if you're going to be a bad driver and fail to pay attention, then you deserve to pay up for it because you're costing other people money because of your bad driving.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    435
    dp oops.
    Last edited by BigE610; 12-13-2012 at 01:25 PM.

  25. #25
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17,917
    double post - damn forum hiccups.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    197
    Do these things:

    1) Call the police and file a report
    2) Go to the doctor and find out if anything is amiss

    Protect yourself, dude (or dudette). You have absolutely no reason to be nice to this person.

  27. #27
    Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Reputation: hunter006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    No since there was no visible damage to the bike and I was relatively undamaged too I saw no reason for it. But this country is not a country where we sue each other for the smallest little thing, the cops would definitely just have thrown it out anyway since there was no seriois damage. The don't have time for this here apparently. Neither do the courts. its very low priority.
    IMO if I call the police for a car v. bike, regardless of damage, it's almost never to sue the driver. The end goal is to NOT sue the person in my opinion. That is an arduous and infinitely more difficult process than an insurance claim with many costly variables, and the path of least resistance is often the desirable one (there are exceptions of course, but those are drawn out legal battles and are never fun).

    An incident report is the first step in a long list of actions required to receive compensation for damage accrued. The kindest thing you could do is once you have the incident report number, settle the cost of repairs without involving insurance. Worst case, should the driver decide they do not wish to reimburse you for your trouble, you have a record of the incident, and should you wish to proceed in any other way, be it litigation or involving insurance, that door is open to you.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wallstreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    344
    Buddy, after my first hit by a car I managed to flag cops down. I was in shock & the pain & body aches came the next day. The second accident was more severe, I was nearly flown to the hospital. I broke numerous bones & bleeding & everyone tried to touch me. I hid tears of pain behind my shades as thankfully they never tried to pull off my helmet. Here there is an old and stupid law, drivers coming from a right turn have priority! The police confirmed the turning was totally hidden behind the house, that it was a very dangerous point and I should never be blamed. The community council was told to put a stop sign where the big estate car turned into me.

    Over a year on & I really fear cars, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. It's not about suing but you should report your truth, god forbid she covers her ass & blames you!

    Take care & rest

  29. #29
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    IMO if I call the police for a car v. bike, regardless of damage, it's almost never to sue the driver. The end goal is to NOT sue the person in my opinion. That is an arduous and infinitely more difficult process than an insurance claim with many costly variables, and the path of least resistance is often the desirable one (there are exceptions of course, but those are drawn out legal battles and are never fun).

    An incident report is the first step in a long list of actions required to receive compensation for damage accrued. The kindest thing you could do is once you have the incident report number, settle the cost of repairs without involving insurance. Worst case, should the driver decide they do not wish to reimburse you for your trouble, you have a record of the incident, and should you wish to proceed in any other way, be it litigation or involving insurance, that door is open to you.
    I have decieded to go to the policew on monday and report the accident! I asked around at work and everyone seems to agree its the right thing to do should I suffer any future nerve damages or similar. And also go to a doctor to check me out, the point is to have it all documented should anything happen in the future.

    i was recently at at some kind of class through work where we were discussing electricity through the body, and they pointed it out so many times, over and over GET IT DOCUMENTED, its an insurance technicality. Either living on social welfare if you get sick or have it documented and have the insurance company pay you your "salary" in the future in those cases.

    Thanks for looking after me so I do this the right way guys.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  30. #30
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,067
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
    Buddy, after my first hit by a car I managed to flag cops down. I was in shock & the pain & body aches came the next day. The second accident was more severe, I was nearly flown to the hospital. I broke numerous bones & bleeding & everyone tried to touch me. I hid tears of pain behind my shades as thankfully they never tried to pull off my helmet. Here there is an old and stupid law, drivers coming from a right turn have priority! The police confirmed the turning was totally hidden behind the house, that it was a very dangerous point and I should never be blamed. The community council was told to put a stop sign where the big estate car turned into me.

    Over a year on & I really fear cars, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. It's not about suing but you should report your truth, god forbid she covers her ass & blames you!

    Take care & rest
    Yeah I know that law, its the right hand law, and it applies in all unlighted intersections (without red/green/yellow light). They need to have a system in those intersections, (but usually its the biggest and heaviest rig has its say and you better like it).

    She can't blame me, she came from behind and hit me, it was daylight, and I wore glow in the dark clothes. Also she has a semi high ranking job in the government (social services) and trying to play me would definitely result in her being in the papers. So its not really in her best interest.

    i hope you have recovered now! Your accident sounds very severe.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    584
    In my country The Philippines, the law sides with the weaker, smaller party initially. So if it's a sedan vs bike, the sedan driver gets charged automatically. If it's bus driver vs sedan, the bus gets charged automatically. Charge is "reckless imprudence resulting in physical injury/homicide". If no death or inury involved, it's going to be in small claims court or the small town/village council hearing. I just don't know what the charge would be if it was bike vs pedestrian.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15
    I know your pain (literally, I've been struck twice in 6 years).

    Get Bob Mionske's book: Bicycling and the Law

    It will give you some peace of mind and has great tips.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,129
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Yeah I know that law, its the right hand law, and it applies in all unlighted intersections (without red/green/yellow light). They need to have a system in those intersections, (but usually its the biggest and heaviest rig has its say and you better like it).

    She can't blame me, she came from behind and hit me, it was daylight, and I wore glow in the dark clothes. Also she has a semi high ranking job in the government (social services) and trying to play me would definitely result in her being in the papers. So its not really in her best interest.

    i hope you have recovered now! Your accident sounds very severe.
    *** It has been awhile since driving rural Illinois and 4-way intersections with no stop signs, for me. I assume you mean that approaching traffic must yield to the traffic to the right, and if across to the driver not turning left. If both are going left the first in the intersection has right of way, which often causes a hand waving standoff, each yielding to the other.

    *** Hard to do when the corn gets tall and the vehicle is smaller than a medium duty truck. Here they do that with 4-way stops so that you have to watch being cut off by a late arrival from the right when you are already in the intersection, when they have a stop they are supposed to obey.

    *** Hope all are healing well. Some bone and joint soreness here. Simpler if more personally expensive to deal with a flat generated crash.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wallstreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by archieaxe View Post
    I know your pain (literally, I've been struck twice in 6 years).

    Get Bob Mionske's book: Bicycling and the Law

    It will give you some peace of mind and has great tips.
    Hi same here twice on 6 years! Once the driver didn't have insurance, license, didn't own the car & he didn't have a visa to be in Geneva!

    Bob's book sounds to be US centered?

    I still linger with a fear on my race cycles, off road on MTB I feel safest

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •