Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Do these things:

1) Call the police and file a report
    2) Go to the doctor and find out if anything is amiss

Protect yourself, dude (or dudette). You have absolutely no reason to be nice to this person.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    No since there was no visible damage to the bike and I was relatively undamaged too I saw no reason for it. But this country is not a country where we sue each other for the smallest little thing, the cops would definitely just have thrown it out anyway since there was no seriois damage. The don't have time for this here apparently. Neither do the courts. its very low priority.
    IMO if I call the police for a car v. bike, regardless of damage, it's almost never to sue the driver. The end goal is to NOT sue the person in my opinion. That is an arduous and infinitely more difficult process than an insurance claim with many costly variables, and the path of least resistance is often the desirable one (there are exceptions of course, but those are drawn out legal battles and are never fun).

An incident report is the first step in a long list of actions required to receive compensation for damage accrued. The kindest thing you could do is once you have the incident report number, settle the cost of repairs without involving insurance. Worst case, should the driver decide they do not wish to reimburse you for your trouble, you have a record of the incident, and should you wish to proceed in any other way, be it litigation or involving insurance, that door is open to you.

mtbr member
    Buddy, after my first hit by a car I managed to flag cops down. I was in shock & the pain & body aches came the next day. The second accident was more severe, I was nearly flown to the hospital. I broke numerous bones & bleeding & everyone tried to touch me. I hid tears of pain behind my shades as thankfully they never tried to pull off my helmet. Here there is an old and stupid law, drivers coming from a right turn have priority! The police confirmed the turning was totally hidden behind the house, that it was a very dangerous point and I should never be blamed. The community council was told to put a stop sign where the big estate car turned into me.

Over a year on & I really fear cars, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. It's not about suing but you should report your truth, god forbid she covers her ass & blames you!

Take care & rest

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    IMO if I call the police for a car v. bike, regardless of damage, it's almost never to sue the driver. The end goal is to NOT sue the person in my opinion. That is an arduous and infinitely more difficult process than an insurance claim with many costly variables, and the path of least resistance is often the desirable one (there are exceptions of course, but those are drawn out legal battles and are never fun).

An incident report is the first step in a long list of actions required to receive compensation for damage accrued. The kindest thing you could do is once you have the incident report number, settle the cost of repairs without involving insurance. Worst case, should the driver decide they do not wish to reimburse you for your trouble, you have a record of the incident, and should you wish to proceed in any other way, be it litigation or involving insurance, that door is open to you.
    I have decieded to go to the policew on monday and report the accident! I asked around at work and everyone seems to agree its the right thing to do should I suffer any future nerve damages or similar. And also go to a doctor to check me out, the point is to have it all documented should anything happen in the future.

i was recently at at some kind of class through work where we were discussing electricity through the body, and they pointed it out so many times, over and over GET IT DOCUMENTED, its an insurance technicality. Either living on social welfare if you get sick or have it documented and have the insurance company pay you your "salary" in the future in those cases.

Thanks for looking after me so I do this the right way guys.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
    Buddy, after my first hit by a car I managed to flag cops down. I was in shock & the pain & body aches came the next day. The second accident was more severe, I was nearly flown to the hospital. I broke numerous bones & bleeding & everyone tried to touch me. I hid tears of pain behind my shades as thankfully they never tried to pull off my helmet. Here there is an old and stupid law, drivers coming from a right turn have priority! The police confirmed the turning was totally hidden behind the house, that it was a very dangerous point and I should never be blamed. The community council was told to put a stop sign where the big estate car turned into me.

Over a year on & I really fear cars, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. It's not about suing but you should report your truth, god forbid she covers her ass & blames you!

Take care & rest
    Yeah I know that law, its the right hand law, and it applies in all unlighted intersections (without red/green/yellow light). They need to have a system in those intersections, (but usually its the biggest and heaviest rig has its say and you better like it).

She can't blame me, she came from behind and hit me, it was daylight, and I wore glow in the dark clothes. Also she has a semi high ranking job in the government (social services) and trying to play me would definitely result in her being in the papers. So its not really in her best interest.

i hope you have recovered now! Your accident sounds very severe.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    In my country The Philippines, the law sides with the weaker, smaller party initially. So if it's a sedan vs bike, the sedan driver gets charged automatically. If it's bus driver vs sedan, the bus gets charged automatically. Charge is "reckless imprudence resulting in physical injury/homicide". If no death or inury involved, it's going to be in small claims court or the small town/village council hearing. I just don't know what the charge would be if it was bike vs pedestrian.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I know your pain (literally, I've been struck twice in 6 years).

Get Bob Mionske's book: Bicycling and the Law

It will give you some peace of mind and has great tips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Yeah I know that law, its the right hand law, and it applies in all unlighted intersections (without red/green/yellow light). They need to have a system in those intersections, (but usually its the biggest and heaviest rig has its say and you better like it).

She can't blame me, she came from behind and hit me, it was daylight, and I wore glow in the dark clothes. Also she has a semi high ranking job in the government (social services) and trying to play me would definitely result in her being in the papers. So its not really in her best interest.

i hope you have recovered now! Your accident sounds very severe.
    *** It has been awhile since driving rural Illinois and 4-way intersections with no stop signs, for me. I assume you mean that approaching traffic must yield to the traffic to the right, and if across to the driver not turning left. If both are going left the first in the intersection has right of way, which often causes a hand waving standoff, each yielding to the other.

*** Hard to do when the corn gets tall and the vehicle is smaller than a medium duty truck. Here they do that with 4-way stops so that you have to watch being cut off by a late arrival from the right when you are already in the intersection, when they have a stop they are supposed to obey.

*** Hope all are healing well. Some bone and joint soreness here. Simpler if more personally expensive to deal with a flat generated crash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by archieaxe View Post
    I know your pain (literally, I've been struck twice in 6 years).

Get Bob Mionske's book: Bicycling and the Law

It will give you some peace of mind and has great tips.
    Hi same here twice on 6 years! Once the driver didn't have insurance, license, didn't own the car & he didn't have a visa to be in Geneva!

Bob's book sounds to be US centered?

I still linger with a fear on my race cycles, off road on MTB I feel safest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2