mtbr member
    May 2008

I got his on my way home on Tuesday...

First, let me say that I'm extremely lucky. Two days later, I feel like I'm perfectly fine.

It's 4:30, just got off work. Tuesday was a nice sunny day, I was down to a dry-fit shirt and cycling shorts.
    I was in the bike lane, at a red-light, at an intersection. Toyota Highlander across from me is in the turning lane, going left into the street to my right. Light turns green, I start going, so does the Highlander. I'm looking at the guy's face, and he's not looking anywhere near me or the general direction. I assume he'll stop, then realize he's not going to. At this point I'm in the middle of the lane he's turning into, he still hasn't noticed me. So I decide to pedal as fast as I can, I think I clear him... guess not.

Appears he clipped my rear tire. I ended up hopping diagonally right, and didn't hit the pavement. Bike goes down, Highlander doesn't stop for quite a ways down the street. Once he did, he sticks his head out the door and an immediate "WHAT THE F$*$?!?!??!?!" Comes out of my mouth as I'm walking to him.

There was a car to my right at the intersection at the red light. He hopped out, got in front of me and asked if I was ok. He told me "everything is alright, don't worry, I saw the whole thing" Basically, he was calming me down, keeping me from the other guy.

Ended up being a younger guy. He was pretty upset about hitting a biker. I got his info etc.

Blah. Broad daylight.

Just thankful that I'm not in the hospital.

Ride Responsibly
    Your mistake was in assuming he saw you, always assume drivers do not see you. He may have even seen you and just figured he had the right of way, being a "real" vehicle and all.
    Glad you are ok, how is the bike?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    Your mistake was in assuming he saw you, always assume drivers do not see you. He may have even seen you and just figured he had the right of way, being a "real" vehicle and all.
    Glad you are ok, how is the bike?

I've learned to be cautious. I have to go through frequent 4-way stops and lights on my daily commute.

Guess I thought at 4:30, broad daylight, 10 feet to the right of his direct vision, and in the path of the lane he's turning into he'd see me.

The bike appears like nothing is wrong with the frame. The rim was messed a bit, might need to be replaced.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Glad you're okay. That's way too close for comfort. He's probably telling his buddies how a ****ing bike rider rode out in front of him now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jflurett
    Blah. Broad daylight.

Just thankful that I'm not in the hospital.
    Good to hear you're OK. How'd your bike come out? That stuff can be hard to put out of your mind at first.

Not to jump straight onto my favorite soapbox or anything, but if you happen to have rechargeable headlights on your commuter, consider running them in the daytime as DRLs, if you aren't already doing so. Ditto if you have a rechargeable helmet light... looking around an intersection with a helmet light switched on ought to be hard to ignore.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Had my own lil crack-up two days ago, as well..didn't end as nicely for me.

Didn't get hit, but locked up the brakes on my morning commute and endoed on a downhill street. The truck I was trying to avoid -- not his fault -- stopped.

retired EMT; he called 911 for me, and stayed there with me until the ambulance arrived. I broke my (R) collarbone clean thru, so having to call myself would have been tough.

Glad you're OK, though. Your bike? Mine's good.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    Had my own lil crack-up two days ago, as well..didn't end as nicely for me.

Didn't get hit, but locked up the brakes on my morning commute and endoed on a downhill street. The truck I was trying to avoid -- not his fault -- stopped.

retired EMT; he called 911 for me, and stayed there with me until the ambulance arrived. I broke my (R) collarbone clean thru, so having to call myself would have been tough.

Glad you're OK, though. Your bike? Mine's good.
    Damn dude. Just remind yourself, it could always be worse.

As above, it looks like just the rim.

weirdo
    jflurret: first off- glad you`re OK. Second- Dang, what were you thinking? You said yourself that the driver didn`t seem to be looking. Well, since you came out allright, I imagine you can call it "cheap tuition" for a lesson you probably won`t forget. Keep on pedalling- just less trustingly.

bigpedaler: Very sorry to hear that. Will you be out of commission for long? Better now than in the summer, I guess. But still... Heal good.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    jflurret: first off- glad you`re OK. Second- Dang, what were you thinking? You said yourself that the driver didn`t seem to be looking. Well, since you came out allright, I imagine you can call it "cheap tuition" for a lesson you probably won`t forget. Keep on pedalling- just less trustingly.

bigpedaler: Very sorry to hear that. Will you be out of commission for long? Better now than in the summer, I guess. But still... Heal good.
    Well, when I realized he wasn't looking I already began my start. I had foot off the pedal standing at the red light. Light turns green, foot on, start pedaling looking at him. I see he's not looking and I'm right in his path, best I could do was wail on the pedals as best I could. Otherwise, I'd have been run over by that Highlander.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Good thing that you are okay! Lucky you decided to pedal faster, if you didn't...hmmm.

For some reason I like some traffic. I don't mind that a couple cars are on the road with me, plenty of road for everybody and with the cars its a better chance that no one will pull out in front of me or turn into me. On a few occasions, where someone was trying to pullout into the road I had to give a shout and the ol' stink eye...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio
    Good thing that you are okay! Lucky you decided to pedal faster, if you didn't...hmmm.

For some reason I like some traffic. I don't mind that a couple cars are on the road with me, plenty of road for everybody and with the cars its a better chance that no one will pull out in front of me or turn into me. On a few occasions, where someone was trying to pullout into the road I had to give a shout and the ol' stink eye...

In Portland people are riding with whistles in their mouths. Could be an option I guess. Pain in the ass, but an option.

Double-metric mtb man
    Glad you were okay, jflurett. Too many folks out there not paying attention when they are piloting a 2500+ lb vehicle these days.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It's the cars coming up beside me that worry me. I took a large dualie truck mirror to the back left shoulder last spring. Thank god it was in a 25 mph zone. F&*#er hit me and it broke his mirror off and I endoed into the curb tacoing my front rim and thank god I had gloves and a jacket on. I tore clear through a pair of cycling gloves from stopping myself with my hands on the sidewalk and ripped my jacket elbows and scraped some skin off my knees and elbows. The bastard didn't even stop he just gunned his engine and sped off.

Glad to hear you are OK man!

Here in Athens the drivers think the bike lane is just extra room on the road to swerve into when they are chatting on their cell phones.
    [SIZE="5"]It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."[/SIZE]

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    Good to hear you're OK. How'd your bike come out? That stuff can be hard to put out of your mind at first.

Not to jump straight onto my favorite soapbox or anything, but if you happen to have rechargeable headlights on your commuter, consider running them in the daytime as DRLs, if you aren't already doing so. Ditto if you have a rechargeable helmet light... looking around an intersection with a helmet light switched on ought to be hard to ignore.
    Whats next, one of those kids fire helmets with the flashing red light on top?

Seriously, while I agree that some sort of light on the bike will alert a few drivers...some just are so inconsiderate, rude or stupid that nothing will help them drive better. Until our local DMV's and police take a stronger stand on vehicles ignoring bikers or inattentive driving (aka HUA) the best posture a bike rider can have is never let your guard down and assume every one in a car is trying ti run you over. Ride defensively!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

I'm SUCH a square....
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Don't know how long yet, rodar -- surgery day after tomorrow -- but it will precisely NOT ONE F'N MINUTE LONGER THAN I CAN WAIT!!!!!!

I rode -- and worked, building bikes -- through broken wrists at two different times. I'll take some pain to ride. And the mortgage waits for no man....
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....