Page 1 of 222 123451151101 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

How was your commute today?

Well how was it?

Mine was good... hadn't been able to ride at all for the 10 days leading up to today, so it was a bit harder to get into the groove.

Forgot my battery pack for my big light, so I had to ride the last 5 miles on pothole ridden bikelanes with a little flasher.

Got honked at when I was as far right as I could be without getting doored.

All in all, it was a good commute... I ride alongside two different freeways (on a bike path) and get to see the traffic backed up for miles... People feverishly trying to type out their morning emails on their blackberry or looking ragged from sitting in traffic. Then I break away from the bike path and the traffic, and it all looks like a rat race in my rearview mirror.

The Brutally Handsome
    morning was good but not memorable. i had several (three) unscheduled meetings after work so by the time i got off it was dark and i too had forgotten my light. luckily, a fellow commuter had driven to work and offered me a ride. i ain't lazy, but sometimes its nice to sit back and let others do the work!

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Morning ride in was beautiful weather, nice enough that I didn't care about being 10 minutes late, night ride I was pretty worn out, but still nice, only thing memorable was my chain dropped when I backpedaled to trackstand at a stop light, so I had to get off to put it back on. I hate putting a foot down on my ride, 9 out of 10 times I don't have to.

local trails rider
    Pretty normal: the weather was dry which makes all the difference to me. This time of the year good weather means just slightly below the freezing point. No snow yet, so I am still running the fat slicks.

It is not really dark yet, during my commuting times. Just enough that I want to have some lights to ensure I am seen. The streets that I take are so quiet that drivers have lots of room to go around me.

Bedwards Of The West
    I'm still basking in the glory of the time change. Actual sunlight in the morning is awesome...takes the chill off. Upper 20's this morning. Crispy fall weather. I've been fighting the flu, so i blew snot rockets for 6 miles. Saw the usual dozen or so deer on the way... didn't do the iPod today, just took in the stillness. Good ride.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    30 degrees, no wind and I'm also enjoying the time change.

The light gods were kind this morning and I made good time and felt fast.

I actually saw 5 riders today which is rare for November, I guess the promise of 60 degree weather is bringing them out.

mtbr member
    35 degrees and raining...lame weather to commute in. Im glad I am a student and my commute is only about 2 miles round trip, but I guess coming and going twice or 3 times in a day makes up for the short length...

mtbr member
    Close to 70 degrees this morning for my 10 miles in, love this time of year!

I Have Cookies
    nice this morning about 65 here in Hilo had somthing wierd going on with my rear tire it was picking up all the little rocks and pebbles and flinging them at my seat tube (I modded my rear fender) like it was brand new....(the tire) but it isin't in fact it has a few thousand miles on it...
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

fux
    Scooterist
    Pretty "special" today.

5 degrees c , in a storm. Sleet on the way home. I had to walk up the steepest hill because of the wind blowing in from the sea. I just couldn`t pedal fast enough to stay upright!

Fist time I`ve endured that in 3 years.....
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

ride the moment
    Mine was delightful. It was sunny this morning and about 40-45 F. I even stopped to take this picture of my bike with the intent of posting about how awesome my commute was this morning. I love Oregon. Oh yeah that's a bike path that goes through the old covered bridge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-bridge.jpg  

Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

The Brutally Handsome
    when I saw that bridge I knew it must be Oregon, best place on earth! Where bouts you live?

No-Brakes Cougar
    Fun, but fairly uneventful as always. Except there seemed to be an unusually high number of people pulling out in front of me. One section of bike lane was littered with chunks of asphalt that weren't there yesterday morning, but they made for an interesting skills session. Weather was a bit warm and sunny and the sky was clear. Earlier this week, I discovered a hidden section of dirt road, right smack in the middle of my town and going in the direction of my commute so I've been looking forward to hitting that every morning. Ride report and photos coming once I get them formatted and uploaded.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

Bedwards Of The West
    Rode the mtn bike today for the heck of it. Kona Dawg, full susp. A bit slower, but a nice change every once in a while.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Oregon was especially nice for the commute yesterday...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nice sunny day, 45 low wind, they took the bike rack in at work getting ready for the snow so parking is going to get a bit challenging. I guess they need to give me a bigger office so I can have indoor parking

Oh ya, +1 for Oregon, first 23 years of my life there, miss it like crazy

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    when I saw that bridge I knew it must be Oregon, best place on earth! Where bouts you live?
    I live in Philomath. I'm a research assistant at OSU so I commute to Corvallis. We have two pretty sweet bike paths that connect the two towns.

The ride in this morning was nice but not sunny. There's some serious rain moving into the valley from the ocean today with wind gusts up to 40 mph. I'll be riding west when I go home tonight so that should makes things interesting. Oh well, that's why I've got an Oregon suit
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    Not so great; I've been driving to campus since Tuesday. I have a cold I am really hating this especially since the weather is amazing this week (highs in the 80s). I'm hoping I feel good enough to ride tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Mine was completely effin' horrible. Biking to/from work is 25 miles each way and takes around 1:35. Driving is only 15 miles. I haven't been riding the past week because I have been recovering from a nasty cold/flu. Tonight the 15 mile commute took 1:50. Yes, you read that right: to drive 15 miles took 1 hour 50 minutes. The good news is that this will be extra motivation on the mornings when I need a little extra push to convince myself to bike to work instead of driving.

mtbr member

commuting with remnants of swine flu

My commute is about 8 miles each way.

I'm now at day 12 since swine flu infection and still have lingering cough. Around day 5, when fever went away, I resumed bike commute. Co-workers of course think I'm crazy for biking in when 'sick'.

I'm taking it easy tho-- sometimes putting the bike on the bus etc. so I don't think I'm prolonging my illness or overdoing it.

think this SF just takes a while to fully go away.

Anyway, I bought a couple of the MS lights which are talked about extensively on the 'lights' and night riding forum.

This light makes the night time commute sooooo much fun!
    Last edited by dcc1234; 11-05-2009 at 09:03 PM.

I'm SUCH a square....
    A lit-le breazy...but jolly good in the end, mate.

Actually, the ride in sucked -- I was late, had to take the short, direct route, but going home, I bucked the wind and had a good time.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by rshughes
    Mine was completely effin' horrible. Biking to/from work is 25 miles each way and takes around 1:35. Driving is only 15 miles. I haven't been riding the past week because I have been recovering from a nasty cold/flu. Tonight the 15 mile commute took 1:50. Yes, you read that right: to drive 15 miles took 1 hour 50 minutes. The good news is that this will be extra motivation on the mornings when I need a little extra push to convince myself to bike to work instead of driving.
    Yuck! I used to have to drive 20 minutes each way and I got sick of that after a few years. I can`t fathom how people deal with hour-plus commutes by any method of transportation. Also, I seriously doubt I could ride 50 miles per day round trip on a continuing basis- aside from the fact that each of those 25 milers would take me well over that hour!
    Recalculating....

The Brutally Handsome
    12 hour shift
    ended at 8
    rode 9 miles
    at 11 mph
    raining .31 in/hr
    with 110 lumens
    100% fun!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    12 hour shift
    ended at 8
    rode 9 miles
    at 11 mph
    raining .31 in/hr
    with 110 lumens
    100% fun!
    I love riding in heavy rain as long as it's over 50* under that and it starts to suck a little bit

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ride in this am i got a flat in my rear tire. changed it out and enjoyed the tail wind the rest of the ride!
    Drew
    __________________________________________________ __
    Rides in Minneapolis, MN.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wind warning in effect I got 5 k into the teeth of 60 to 90 km/h wind, for the ride home.

Probably faster due to the funnel effect in the river valley.

Ouch they just added a light rainshower, to the forecast.

No-Brakes Cougar
    40% chance of precipitation today. None coming in, we'll see what happens on the way home?

I'd been off the bike for a couple of weeks due to me recovering from some surgery related to this incident, so I'd been walking to work. This week I started biking again in earnest, and as always happens after a lapse in being on the bike I've really been pushing myself hard to make up for lost fitness opportunities. I'm a bit sore.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by dcc1234

I'm now at day 12 since swine flu infection and still have lingering cough. Around day 5, when fever went away, I resumed bike commute. Co-workers of course think I'm crazy for biking in when 'sick'.

think this SF just takes a while to fully go away.

That about sums it up for me also. I think the commute helps, since I'm hacking up goo and blowing snot rockets all the way to work and back. I'm down to an annoying cough and congestion at this point.

Today it was raining, but not too bad. Sun came up and shot an orange glow on the ceiling of clouds...wicked rainbow over the valley with a dark black/blue cloud background. Came around a corner and there was a big 'ol buck on the shoulder of the road... he picked his head up and posed in the sunlight with the rainbow behind him. Pretty cool moment.

mtbr member
    today's commute was _awesome_! SEPTA, the local public trans. authority, is in day 4 of a strike, so there was more car traffic than usual. blew by a ton of cars backed up at stoplights. weather was high 30s and clear, with a nice stiff headwind that had me gasping and wishing i'd trained harder this season. that wind has held all day, so the ride home is gonna be hellafast. maybe i'll take the long way.

jrm
    mtbr member

Ran over a wood screw

which ruined the casing of my tire. Caught the bus/walked home. Replaced tire already for tomorrow.

weirdo
    Dang, Gary- you`re just now getting back on the bike? I bet you were really chomping at the bit.
    Recalculating....

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Today it was raining, but not too bad. Sun came up and shot an orange glow on the ceiling of clouds...wicked rainbow over the valley with a dark black/blue cloud background. Came around a corner and there was a big 'ol buck on the shoulder of the road... he picked his head up and posed in the sunlight with the rainbow behind him. Pretty cool moment.
    Sounds killer! If you`d had a camera, it could have made for a Fux moment! Then again, a lot of times I think we`re better off just enjoying things like that as opposed to trying to grab it with the camera and missing the experience in the process.
    Recalculating....

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Dang, Gary- you`re just now getting back on the bike? I bet you were really chomping at the bit.
    Well I've been on the bike since the incident in July, it's just that from the procedure (mid-October) until last week I had to stay off. Only about two weeks! I did a lot of walking and hiking to try and stay in shape a little. Though any time I saw someone fly by on a bike I would silently curse them (j/k).

weirdo
    Yeehaw! Gale force tail winds!

My avg work to home trip runs around 13 to 14 minutes. I`ve done it in 12 a few times, but that`s really busting my butt. Today was 9:32, spinnin and grinnin the whole way. After I got my speed up, I only dropped out of the big ring once for a car backing out of a driveway and once for a stop sign. I watched my speed fluctuate between 24 and 28 for close to a mile and gave it hell on the best downhill in order to to spin it up to the 40 mark!

Now I just hope they die down before I have to pedal back into it this afternoon
    Recalculating....

master blaster
    scary considering i got out of a dui(or wet and reckless whatever its called when your on a bike) not even a block away from my origin.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    IT FUGGING SUCKED!!!
    commute home last night was bad too!
    took the bus, had crazy people who're enamored with the sound of their own voice freely voicing their opinions the entire damn time... racist cracker pseudo-gangster speak. ooooh joy!

(been down with the flu, cold n wet riding would've made it worse)

back on two wheels as of monday though, nothing like a couple rush-hour bus rides to remind you how much riding into work is worth to you!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    rocked, three minutes to the trailhead and then a gentle little single track ride before busting a lung up to the pump track and a downhill home

Ride-Drink Beer-Repeat
    31* on the way in 55* on the way home. So.......sweeeet
    The Internet: All the piracy, none of the scurvy.

mtbr member

don't freak out the deer

Hope I won't get slammed for cross-posting, but my commute earlier this week was quite memorable, but not necessarily in a good way. Wrote about it in the Lights forum.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...32870#poststop

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcc1234
    Hope I won't get slammed for cross-posting, but my commute earlier this week was quite memorable, but not necessarily in a good way. Wrote about it in the Lights forum.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...32870#poststop
    When deer freak, they freak hard. They fall into a blind panic and just bolt, even if it's headlong into danger. I was driving home from work years ago when I had a doe in the middle of the street run straight at the car, head on! She turned away at the last minute.

I'm SUCH a square....
    About 37F this morning; legs weren't there, took the short way in and had a HOT breakfast. Coming home tonight, took the scenic route, had a good time! About 50F @ sunset, next to no traffic in the few areas I have to deal w/ it.

Actually looking forward to the times when I'm riding in the Dark dark, not just the dim; new light on the front of the bike, curious how it will do while rolling! Nice round glow in the garage, but that's not much of an indicator.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Cold (mid 30's) and a little slower than I would have liked.

The 1.8 mile ride took 7:08 min.

51 seconds stopped at lights and signs.

Top speed of 34.5mph and average speed of 15.1mph.

smell the saddle...
    Fair-weather commuter here from south Louisiana, temps were nice this morning at 57°, dry but humidity was up (hard to notice when the temp is cool). Forgive me for not commenting on the whole memorable or not, since I tend to ride with no goal in mind. I would say a memorable ride would lean more towards the bad (i.e. someone cut me off, I got a flat, etc.) So with that said, this morning was uneventful but I couldn’t have asked for better. I crossed another cyclist deep at the bottom of the tunnel walkway (I go under a waterway to get to work instead of the traffic-ridden bridges) which caused me to stand up and crank on the 48-16 single-speed ratio. Have to admit I usually love to fly through the tunnel but the extra effort was welcomed today. It also seemed there weren’t as many motorist on the streets since many are on vacation this week, which made the solitude even sweeter.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009

No good

My second Sigma computer went crazy this morning (In less than a year):

The first one (SIGMA BC906 9-Function Topline Wired) stop working properly the very same day I bought the Second One, yeah...what are the odds?....so I didn't care too much...contacted Sigma, they gave me a RA#, I sent them the computer...and almost 2 months later I'm still waiting.

The second one (SIGMA BC1606L CADENCE DTS Double Wireless) start to reset by itself on and off the bike this morning....I contacted amazon this time...they already send me a new one...they always treat me right..I'm happy for that... but I don't know for how long I will be using Sigma.

No-Brakes Cougar
    It seems unseasonably cold here in the Bay Area. The lows are supposedly in the lower 60s but it feels much colder than that. Must be the moist air. Lately when I've been riding to work my ears start to ache from the cold. Sometimes my lungs hurt too from huffing in cold air. This morning I actually had to break out the winter gloves. They aren't cycling gloves, but they're warm and get the job done. The upside to the cold weather is I can scorch through the park on the way to work without having to dodge people. The down side is it means more people in cars. -_-;

mtbr member
    May 2009
    28* and breezy this morning... had to put on an extra layer... nice ride, took the scenic route 12.5mi. 46min. Feeling a bit slower when it's cool out, lots of fresh air though

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

not today but...

someone else's comment reminded me of this, figured I'd share.
    was sprinting into work, converted mtb commuter, single speed, fenders, nothing flash just kind of useful.

this guy zips up on his performance hybrid and stares me down.
    when I'm at the lights he's really looking my bike over.
    so the light goes green, I do my thing and pedal off.
    several lights later he pulls up and he's angry, he says "what're you running?"
    so I give him my gear ratio
    "no I mean what kind of bike is that"?
    soul cycles hooligan, it's a mountain bike.
    "what're you... I mean your bike's not better than mine, it's not even a road bike, your tires and your gear ratio sucks, how're you faster than me?"

I carefully considered my words; Maybe I'm just stronger than you.
    Indignancy and vitriol followed (expectedly)

But I left thinking that he didn't really give me any other option.
    He poked fun of the bike, the gear ratio, and the tires.
    I felt like saying, sorry, but you kind of left me with nothing to comment on but the rider.
    If my bike/rider assembly is smoking your bike/rider assembly and as you so grumpily pointed out the bike part of my assembly sucks, then...

lord knows I wasn't exactly burning the ttires that day.
    just wondered if he spewed angry at other riders as well, or maybe if I somehow pushed his buttons by wearing baggy clothes or something?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    someone else's comment reminded me of this, figured I'd share.
    was sprinting into work, converted mtb commuter, single speed, fenders, nothing flash just kind of useful.

this guy zips up on his performance hybrid and stares me down.
    when I'm at the lights he's really looking my bike over.
    so the light goes green, I do my thing and pedal off.
    several lights later he pulls up and he's angry, he says "what're you running?"
    so I give him my gear ratio
    "no I mean what kind of bike is that"?
    soul cycles hooligan, it's a mountain bike.
    "what're you... I mean your bike's not better than mine, it's not even a road bike, your tires and your gear ratio sucks, how're you faster than me?"

I carefully considered my words; Maybe I'm just stronger than you.
    Indignancy and vitriol followed (expectedly)

But I left thinking that he didn't really give me any other option.
    He poked fun of the bike, the gear ratio, and the tires.
    I felt like saying, sorry, but you kind of left me with nothing to comment on but the rider.
    If my bike/rider assembly is smoking your bike/rider assembly and as you so grumpily pointed out the bike part of my assembly sucks, then...

lord knows I wasn't exactly burning the ttires that day.
    just wondered if he spewed angry at other riders as well, or maybe if I somehow pushed his buttons by wearing baggy clothes or something?
    That’s awesome!! Laughed out loud when I read that. I ride a converted MTB/Commuter with some low nobbys. I’ve passed a few rodies (nothing against rodies) and usually don’t get a hi back when I’m passing in my baggy commuting clothes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Fortunate to have good friends

So this morning’s commute didn’t quite go as smoothly as I had hoped. I was about 20 minutes into my 1 hour 40 minute ride when I heard the phhhht, phhhht , phhht sound of air coming out of my rear tire. Since I am running tubeless tires I tried to get the Stan's to fill the hole. Unfortunately I hadn't added any Stan's in probably 3 months and so this didn’t appear to be working, and because I didn’t want to waste any more time, I decided just to yank off the tire, install a tube, and be on my way.

I pulled the wheel off and removed the tire and that is when it struck me – I took my tool pouch off of my bike yesterday because a friend had wanted to ride my bike off-road (the pouch primarily holds tubes and other odds and ends I might need while commuting and I don't usually bring it when mtn biking) - I didn’t put it back on this morning. I was sitting there with my tire off and no tube available to put in. Oh sh!t!

I was only about 4 miles away from a friend's house and since it was almost 7 AM I gave him a call. It took him about 25 minutes to get there and he brought me a couple of tubes and helped me get on the way. Obviously, a 40 minute delay in my commute put me way behind schedule – because I was running so late, I was cranking extra hard so now my legs are spent.

Given that it is now raining outside and 50 degrees, it is shaping up to be a long, cold, wet, tiring ride home. That being said, it will still be better than being stuck in traffic!

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    When deer freak, they freak hard. They fall into a blind panic and just bolt, even if it's headlong into danger.

I left my garage door open one time and when I got home I trapped a doe in the garage with the front end of the Jeep. She was in there eating trash and just hanging out. We both froze, made eye contact for a second, and then she started trying to hit her head on the rafters and put her feet through everything, whether it was a steel post or not... I slammed it into reverse and got out just before she started heading for daylight (through the windshield), and luckily she didn't damage the Jeep. Can't say the same for the drywall.

I haven't had any issues shining lights on them from the bike though. I see deer literally every day on my commute, almost always more than 6 or 7. I have come close enough to hitting them on the bike that I could smell their breath (if it had been a buck I'd be missing an eye) but I have never had one panic from getting blasted with the headlamp. I have certainly seen them panic though. It goes beyond all reason. They completely lose their mind.

mtbr member
    Jeez, I'm glad I don't have to worry about deer on my commute! Those things are totally brainless.

The ride in today was perfect. There was a snap in the air and frost on the ground. I felt the frozen leaves crunch under my tires. Saw the morning sun shining on downtown across Lake Union. Spotted a beaver in the marshy Montlake side of Lake Washington. Why didn't I start bike commuting years ago?
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ I'd still rather deal with deer than people. Perfectly happy with my few close encounters with deer compared to riding in the city.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    riding on a 100% asphalt environment is way too far from being nice...the only animals I can see are dogs barking from homes when I pass by...cats and rats....the other day I saw a dead rat and believe me that thing was huge! easily as big as a cat!

couldn't commute today...I went to Mexico D.F on Monday and returned to MTY yesterday...enough time to catch a killer flu
    Last edited by martinsillo; 12-02-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009
    Mine was great, went outside started the car up got ready and had a nice heated ride to school at 50mph. It was real nice. Oh, you meant on the bike.
    Specialized 05 FSR XC Comp: Modded
    Specialized 08 FSR XC Comp: OEM
    Cannondale M700: In pieces

Binghamton '14
    Nov 2009
    Mine was great, went outside started the car up got ready and left then i had a nice heated ride to school at 50mph. It was real nice. Oh, you meant on the bike.
    Specialized 05 FSR XC Comp: Modded
    Specialized 08 FSR XC Comp: OEM
    Cannondale M700: In pieces

mtbr member
    Fast.

I woke up 30 minutes late for work.

I averaged 18mph on the 1.9mile commute half asleep.

I dream on two wheels
    15 degrees and blowing snow.
    Whiskey

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by joshed
    Fast.

I woke up 30 minutes late for work.

I averaged 18mph on the 1.9mile commute half asleep.

^^ Not bad considering you're still in knee-hab.

Mine was cold, but mellow. Finally broke out the PI Lobster gloves for some toasty fingers in the sub-20's we've been having. Packing them home in the backpack sucks, but it's better than sweaty hot hands.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Tested out my brand new Bontrager booties. Rode home during a Tornado Watch, 40mph wind gusts and torrential downpour. I could barely focus(literally) with my contact lenses going in and out. My 5-mile ride from work felt like an eternity looking down at my maximum speed of 13mph. Haha! I'll ride year-round like this, long before I ride in snow.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by A girl from Seattle
    Jeez, I'm glad I don't have to worry about deer on my commute! Those things are totally brainless.
    ???
    Are you sure you aren`t talking about the pedestrians we were just "dissing" in another thread?

Anyway, I guess we all sort of adapt to our environments- for me, traffic and rain = major bummer. Snow, wind, coyotes and bunnies are part of life. Sure wish I had deer on my commute!
    Recalculating....

The Brutally Handsome
    On third day of not riding due to a foot injury. I feel like a slug . . .

mtbr member
    On third day of not riding due to a foot injury. I feel like a slug . . .
    Heal up quick man.

My commute was even faster than yesterday. I wasn't late today, just decided to push a little harder and I got lucky and only hit 1 light the whole way.

Average speed: 20.2mph (on my 48/16 single speed road bike)

Also doing my first mtb ride this weekend. I am going to keep it to a mellow xc ride. I cannot wait to be able to ride my big bike again.

weirdo
    Dang, Joshed! You`re healing up fast- that`s great.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Dang, Joshed! You`re healing up fast- that`s great.
    Thanks! =]

I am really trying to get my fitness back up for a good 2010 dh race season. Really hoping to get more top 10's in the pro/semi-pro classes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This morning was the first time this fall that I have had to break out the colder weather gear and put away the shorts (it was about 35F). As I was gearing up, I turned on my lights which illuminated my car which was covered with a nice layer of frost and all that I could think was, "In 5 minutes those heated leather seats could be toasty warm."

My discipline prevailed and I had a great ride in - and even shaved 4 minutes off of Monday's time.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Nice work. Heated leather is very tempting.

18* this morning when I left the house. I had a snot rocket completely backfire in the chamber this morning. The 'clava, jacket shoulder, and backpack strap all got hosed. It was pretty intense.

mtbr member
    I hear you about the heated leather seats! Good job to us all for riding anyway. It was really really cold today for me too, I had to wear 2 merino wool undershirts, long underwear, toe covers and Goretex gloves to stay warm. Kinda shivery now that I'm sitting at my desk at work. It's worth it though!

mtbr member
    This morning's ride was much slower than the rest of the week. My legs got worked at physical therapy yesterday.

Average speed: 16.1mph

Time to switch to my winter gloves. My hands this morning were freezing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    RE: snot rockets- wife complains that I used to get her in the face, seems the slipstream effect kept them at least mid-air long enough for her to ride through them.
    want domestic harmony? learn to shoot 'em down, not back.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Heated leather is very tempting.
    Sounds like a Judas Priest song.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    26 and sunny this morning in Portland. I could have used gloves with fingers.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    RE: snot rockets- wife complains that I used to get her in the face, seems the slipstream effect kept them at least mid-air long enough for her to ride through them.
    want domestic harmony? learn to shoot 'em down, not back.
    I`ll have to keep that one in mind! I already learned the hard way that stokers don`t appreciate a good fart from the captain.

It got COLD here yesterday morning! Around 3 AM I walked outside from one part of the plant to the other and it wasn`t too bad. But by 7:00, when I got off, I bet it had dropped into single digits. Since it was fairly warm when I left for work, I didn`t bring heavy enough jacket and gloves and had an unpleasant ride to say the least. It was warm when I left this afternoon too, but this time I brought plenty of extras for the ride home.
    Recalculating....

Recreational Racer
    Commute? Hah it's Saturday here in Guam, no work today. Good thing too it was a bit chilly this morning at 78.
    “Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.”

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I had a snot rocket completely backfire in the chamber this morning. The 'clava, jacket shoulder, and backpack strap all got hosed. It was pretty intense.
    That is probably the funniest thing that I have read on MTBR in a really long time. Hopefully there wasn't too much collateral damage!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Saturday is often a work day for me, so here I am. Chilly this morning, my jaw started to hurt. I might need to start wearing a scarf, it's really cold these days. Otherwise, almost no one on the road this morning. Lovely.

I already learned the hard way that stokers don`t appreciate a good fart from the captain.
    What are you talking about? Everyone appreciates a good fart (or at least they should)!

Recreational Racer
    I'm still fortunate enough to not have to work more than five days a week, but my job is salary and I spend any where from 9 to 12 hours a day at work. The lonely road are the best. I find that the empty roads are the only time I can have a really good conversation with myself with out scaring others.
    “Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.”

mtbr member
    It was 22 degrees this morning but sunny. My commute in was beautiful! Here are a coupla pics. I was afraid it would be icy, but it wasn't. You guys are right, I DO have NO excuse not to bike commute!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-commute-.jpg  

How was your commute today?-commuteb.jpg  

How was your commute today?-commutec.jpg  

weirdo
    Nice pics, Seattle! It does look beautiful!
    Recalculating....

No-Brakes Cougar
    Great pics. That's gorgeous!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    great!! the ice was crazy, my wife got fof and walked a section of the rail trail as it was pure ice and slick and she was hauling our son today, and I skidded across the entire 12 foot width of the trail.

so we got the heck OFF the damn trail and rode the rest of it on busier but un-iced roads!!
    but man did it ever feel good to be back on the bike, completely ignoring my usual rule of no riding for 2 weeks after snow.

rode the great pumpkin too, first time in it's current guise, brakes squeal like mad, needs work, but fun!
    (pic/current specs posted in show your commuter thread)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    WINDY and 25 degrees or so! Fenders are acting like sails and slowing me down. Have to change my gearing, far too high when my legs don't really have a chance to warm up during my 6 mile commute.

mtbr member
    It was beautiful this morning - 38 degrees and overcast, no wind. It was the first morning this week above 30-31 degrees and it felt great! (I don't do well in the cold - no insulation ). It's supposed to rain all weekend, but the storm should be gone by Monday. We really, really need the rain here though...

Bedwards Of The West
    Negative temps after a day of above freezing, after a day of 12 inches of fresh on top of packed base layer... gigantic frozen slush globs everywhere, lumpy ice and packed snow, freezing fog warning, 1/4 mile visibility, 4x4 required to get out of the driveway.... driving day number 5 for this year.

The Brutally Handsome
    Finished building the Big Dummy and took it on it's maiden commute today! Slipped on the morning ice and got drenched in the evening rain but it was the most fun I've had commuting in a long, long time! Here's a picture of me and my daughter test riding it yesterday afternoon:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-i-g-big-dummy.jpg  

weirdo
    Cool! I didn`t know you were working on a dummy- more pixels!
    Recalculating....

The Brutally Handsome
    This bike is some serious fun! Here's a few I took this weekend during the build:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-bd-1.jpg  

How was your commute today?-bd-2.jpg  

How was your commute today?-bd-4.jpg  

How was your commute today?-bd-7.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The ride home yesterday was fun. It snowed 3" while I was at work. The guys at work were all out scraping their windows when I rolled out on my bike. It's a wierd feeling fish tailing on a bike but I found out if you keep your speed up you can get through most of the slosh.

This morning was 9* or -11* if wind chill counts. Head winds are a bit demorlizing, but cold head winds are even worse, dying to get 14mph this morning. I had some killer icecycles in the beard though

My wife told me that for the first time she is impressed after I rode yesterday. She went to her spin class and some chick is talking about how she saw some crazy guy riding in the snow and my wife was like, that was my husband. They were like, wow I need to get out and ride. Didn't see anyone this morning on the way to work though.

P.S. I don't think I'm hard core.. I just like riding my bike

local trails rider
    Trying to figure out what to wear...
    Both ways, temps were around -15 Celsius (5F). No significant wind, except for what I was making myself. Only a thin layer of snow on the ground. Just enough to make the world look more bright.

My torso was a bit hot but the legs were a bit cold. Toes and fingers were bearable. I'll try a slightly different combination of clothes tomorrow.

Bedwards Of The West
    A jacket with zippered vents is a major help in those situations.

On the legs at 5* F, I wear shorts/leg warmers underneath windproof/waterproof pants. Cutting the wind is the critical thing. I'll do insulated tights (Sugoi Sub-Zero) under windproof/waterproof pants sometimes also. That is a slightly warmer combo. .

local trails rider
    I try to do a combination that I can use with my regular clothes. The commute usually takes less than half an hour. Most likely, I'll try a windproof top layer for the legs and one layer less for the top.

I don't consider -15 Celsius horribly cold but I think my body is still in shock because temps dropped pretty suddenly. Some military studies indicate that it takes about a week before you are fully functional after a big change in temperatures.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BBrown
    The ride home yesterday was fun. It snowed 3" while I was at work. The guys at work were all out scraping their windows when I rolled out on my bike. It's a wierd feeling fish tailing on a bike but I found out if you keep your speed up you can get through most of the slosh.

My wife told me that for the first time she is impressed after I rode yesterday.
    Most of last winter I was off the bike with a knee injury and scraping the windows was the worst part of not riding! I HATE scraping windows! All I could think about while I was warming up the truck and chipping that crap off the windshield was that if I were on my bike I could be halfway home before I ever got my truck out of the parking lot! And with three inches of new snow I`d also be thinking about how much fun I was missing out on.

Your wife is impressed? That`s good. Mine showed up at work a few times durring my first winter trying to give me a ride. She kept saying "...but it looks like it might snow", then "...but it`s starting to snow", and then "...but there`s too much snow". Finally she figured it out and just started to leave me alone. I still get offers for rides (not from her anymore) sometimes and people just can`t get it through their heads that somebody might prefer to ride. no mattert what he weather is doing.

Sizzler, I hate to hijack this thread with more on your Dummy, so (XT thumbies?) are you going to post a thread on that puppy?
    Recalculating....

No-Brakes Cougar
    This bike is some serious fun! Here's a few I took this weekend during the build:
    I like the picture w/o the rack installed. Looks like a drag bike! Also, the support tubing around the rear wheel looks cool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I don't think I can live where many of you do that's got to hit subfreezing temperatures. Much props to all the hardcore commuters that don't stop them from getting to wherever they need to go.

84 degrees this afternoon on the way home from work. I'm transitioning my bike back to stock, and after going back to the stock pedals, I can't wait to get the Eggbeaters back on the new bike. I almost felt unsafe kicking hard to get over in the turn lanes from the bike lane.

Bedwards Of The West
    84 degrees in december! That's madness. Yesterday I dug a path to the woodshed, and then grabbed the metal handle of the wheelbarrow... oops. Almost had to bring the thing inside to get un-stuck. Note to self: wear GLOVES below zero. GLOVES.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Crap, I totally forgot to mention(your gloves story reminded me), but I hit 1,000 miles this morning! I've had it since mid-April, and my goals were to hit 1,000 miles before the end of the year. So to also commemorate the liter mark, I bought new gloves(and a Fantom 29Pro SL).

Oh, tomorrow a cold front is supposed to roll through, and the high is 63 degrees. I'll still be in shorts.

weirdo
    Congrats on the 1K. What`s that Fantom 29Pro? New bike?
    Recalculating....

I Have Cookies

had My first flat in a long time!

fresh corona bottle on the bike lane and I steered through the cleanest part but picked up a large chunk of glass....... I hate people that throw bottles out the car window! I have so many tubes to patch I need a new patch kit!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Congrats on the 1K. What`s that Fantom 29Pro? New bike?
    My goal was to reach 1,000 miles by year's end on my Motobecane 400HT from the time I bought it in mid-April. Well, I did it yesterday so prematurely, I was going to reward myself by going up to a Fantom 29Pro SL. I bought it last Friday and took it apart. I hated the Delorean brushed aluminum color, so I took the frame to get custom painted to match our sport's cars(we show and I race mine). So for the past week, I've put the current commuter (400HT) back to stock. Going back to stock pedals suck after riding on eggbeaters for the last 6 months!

So yesterday, it was 84 degrees. A nor'easter plowed through north Florida today, and my 4 mile ride home felt like eternity with all the headwind keeping me below 16mph. It was 63 degrees and 10-15mph wind. At least it wasn't a hurricane! Friday is calling for 80% chance of rain! I'm ready!

Bedwards Of The West
    We have been having 'freezing fog' conditions the last few days. It's been patchy and not too thick, so no big deal. Today's experience was a bit different...

Currently I have to ride on about a mile of snow packed dirt road before I get to frozen mud dirt road (which is the best traction in the world), before I get to pavement. The pavement has been a little slippery due to the freezing fog leaving a thin layer of ice behind. I could see pretty good today on the whole dirt road section, but about the time I got to pavement, it looked like my headlight was shining into a white wall. I could see the red flash of my superflash taillight in my pheripheral vision, becuase it was bouncing off of the fog behind me. Absolutely the thickest fog I have ever seen. It was all I could do to see the white line in front of me. I angled my headlight down and tried to focus on that white line.

Then it got worse. I couldn't believe what I wasn't seeing. It was unreal. That's about the time I realized that my glasses were icing up. Putting them down on my nose, grandpa-style, and peering over the top of them helped, but of course I started crying instantly because it was about 18 degrees out. Fine, I thought. I can deal with tears frozen to my 'clava as long as I can see. The tension of the morning ride is just now melting off... the icy road and lack of vision and frozen eyeballs required so much focus.

When I got to work I noticed something I've never experienced before. I had a shield of ice build-up on EVERYTHING that was facing forward. I bent my arm when I got off of the bike and it came crumbling off of my jacket like broken glass. I've had ice build-up on my goatee before, but this was crazy. The front edge of my front fender was at least a centimeter longer than normal, because it had an ice extension. The leading edge of my forks/handlebars/frame looked like Han Solo trapped inside the ice block. My shoes were a size bigger. My helmet felt heavy. I bet my bike gained at least a pound.

Without a doubt, today was the weirdest commute I've ever had.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nice, 32*F today it's amazing how a few days of 0*F makes 32* seem like a heat wave. It's funny every time I ride in colder temps I'm always thinking. Well... if it gets any colder I'll have to drive. It started with sub 40's then 30's then 20's. Now that I've rode a 0 I'm thinking well 15's not so bad. I'm thinking that I wont want to ride in negitive temps, but if I do I'll probaly think that it's not that bad.

rodar, I'm with you on people not understanding the riding thing. All this week the only thing I've heard is what the F**K is wrong with you?

Also, I finaly got yelled at for riding in the road. I've been commuting all year and haven't had any major encounters with drivers at all. But I feel like it's one of those cycling rights of passage when two idiots in their rusted geo metro honk and yell "get out of the road". While they are passing me in the completley open lane to my left. Of course there is a foot and a half of snow on the side walk so that is a no go. And of course I yelled back some choice words for them. Not that I really cared as much as I was just excited to be a part of the club.

Page 1 of 222 123451151101 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 211