Page 1 of 428 123451151101 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

How was your commute today?

Well how was it?

Mine was good... hadn't been able to ride at all for the 10 days leading up to today, so it was a bit harder to get into the groove.

Forgot my battery pack for my big light, so I had to ride the last 5 miles on pothole ridden bikelanes with a little flasher.

Got honked at when I was as far right as I could be without getting doored.

All in all, it was a good commute... I ride alongside two different freeways (on a bike path) and get to see the traffic backed up for miles... People feverishly trying to type out their morning emails on their blackberry or looking ragged from sitting in traffic. Then I break away from the bike path and the traffic, and it all looks like a rat race in my rearview mirror.

The Brutally Handsome
    morning was good but not memorable. i had several (three) unscheduled meetings after work so by the time i got off it was dark and i too had forgotten my light. luckily, a fellow commuter had driven to work and offered me a ride. i ain't lazy, but sometimes its nice to sit back and let others do the work!

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Morning ride in was beautiful weather, nice enough that I didn't care about being 10 minutes late, night ride I was pretty worn out, but still nice, only thing memorable was my chain dropped when I backpedaled to trackstand at a stop light, so I had to get off to put it back on. I hate putting a foot down on my ride, 9 out of 10 times I don't have to.

local trails rider
    Pretty normal: the weather was dry which makes all the difference to me. This time of the year good weather means just slightly below the freezing point. No snow yet, so I am still running the fat slicks.

It is not really dark yet, during my commuting times. Just enough that I want to have some lights to ensure I am seen. The streets that I take are so quiet that drivers have lots of room to go around me.

Bedwards Of The West
    I'm still basking in the glory of the time change. Actual sunlight in the morning is awesome...takes the chill off. Upper 20's this morning. Crispy fall weather. I've been fighting the flu, so i blew snot rockets for 6 miles. Saw the usual dozen or so deer on the way... didn't do the iPod today, just took in the stillness. Good ride.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    30 degrees, no wind and I'm also enjoying the time change.

The light gods were kind this morning and I made good time and felt fast.

I actually saw 5 riders today which is rare for November, I guess the promise of 60 degree weather is bringing them out.

mtbr member
    35 degrees and raining...lame weather to commute in. Im glad I am a student and my commute is only about 2 miles round trip, but I guess coming and going twice or 3 times in a day makes up for the short length...

mtbr member
    Close to 70 degrees this morning for my 10 miles in, love this time of year!

I Have Cookies
    nice this morning about 65 here in Hilo had somthing wierd going on with my rear tire it was picking up all the little rocks and pebbles and flinging them at my seat tube (I modded my rear fender) like it was brand new....(the tire) but it isin't in fact it has a few thousand miles on it...
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

fux
    Scooterist
    Pretty "special" today.

5 degrees c , in a storm. Sleet on the way home. I had to walk up the steepest hill because of the wind blowing in from the sea. I just couldn`t pedal fast enough to stay upright!

Fist time I`ve endured that in 3 years.....
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

ride the moment
    Mine was delightful. It was sunny this morning and about 40-45 F. I even stopped to take this picture of my bike with the intent of posting about how awesome my commute was this morning. I love Oregon. Oh yeah that's a bike path that goes through the old covered bridge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-bridge.jpg  

Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

The Brutally Handsome
    when I saw that bridge I knew it must be Oregon, best place on earth! Where bouts you live?

No-Brakes Cougar
    Fun, but fairly uneventful as always. Except there seemed to be an unusually high number of people pulling out in front of me. One section of bike lane was littered with chunks of asphalt that weren't there yesterday morning, but they made for an interesting skills session. Weather was a bit warm and sunny and the sky was clear. Earlier this week, I discovered a hidden section of dirt road, right smack in the middle of my town and going in the direction of my commute so I've been looking forward to hitting that every morning. Ride report and photos coming once I get them formatted and uploaded.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

Bedwards Of The West
    Rode the mtn bike today for the heck of it. Kona Dawg, full susp. A bit slower, but a nice change every once in a while.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Oregon was especially nice for the commute yesterday...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nice sunny day, 45 low wind, they took the bike rack in at work getting ready for the snow so parking is going to get a bit challenging. I guess they need to give me a bigger office so I can have indoor parking

Oh ya, +1 for Oregon, first 23 years of my life there, miss it like crazy

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    when I saw that bridge I knew it must be Oregon, best place on earth! Where bouts you live?
    I live in Philomath. I'm a research assistant at OSU so I commute to Corvallis. We have two pretty sweet bike paths that connect the two towns.

The ride in this morning was nice but not sunny. There's some serious rain moving into the valley from the ocean today with wind gusts up to 40 mph. I'll be riding west when I go home tonight so that should makes things interesting. Oh well, that's why I've got an Oregon suit
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    Not so great; I've been driving to campus since Tuesday. I have a cold I am really hating this especially since the weather is amazing this week (highs in the 80s). I'm hoping I feel good enough to ride tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Mine was completely effin' horrible. Biking to/from work is 25 miles each way and takes around 1:35. Driving is only 15 miles. I haven't been riding the past week because I have been recovering from a nasty cold/flu. Tonight the 15 mile commute took 1:50. Yes, you read that right: to drive 15 miles took 1 hour 50 minutes. The good news is that this will be extra motivation on the mornings when I need a little extra push to convince myself to bike to work instead of driving.

mtbr member

commuting with remnants of swine flu

My commute is about 8 miles each way.

I'm now at day 12 since swine flu infection and still have lingering cough. Around day 5, when fever went away, I resumed bike commute. Co-workers of course think I'm crazy for biking in when 'sick'.

I'm taking it easy tho-- sometimes putting the bike on the bus etc. so I don't think I'm prolonging my illness or overdoing it.

think this SF just takes a while to fully go away.

Anyway, I bought a couple of the MS lights which are talked about extensively on the 'lights' and night riding forum.

This light makes the night time commute sooooo much fun!
    Last edited by dcc1234; 11-05-2009 at 09:03 PM.

I'm SUCH a square....
    A lit-le breazy...but jolly good in the end, mate.

Actually, the ride in sucked -- I was late, had to take the short, direct route, but going home, I bucked the wind and had a good time.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by rshughes
    Mine was completely effin' horrible. Biking to/from work is 25 miles each way and takes around 1:35. Driving is only 15 miles. I haven't been riding the past week because I have been recovering from a nasty cold/flu. Tonight the 15 mile commute took 1:50. Yes, you read that right: to drive 15 miles took 1 hour 50 minutes. The good news is that this will be extra motivation on the mornings when I need a little extra push to convince myself to bike to work instead of driving.
    Yuck! I used to have to drive 20 minutes each way and I got sick of that after a few years. I can`t fathom how people deal with hour-plus commutes by any method of transportation. Also, I seriously doubt I could ride 50 miles per day round trip on a continuing basis- aside from the fact that each of those 25 milers would take me well over that hour!
    Recalculating....

The Brutally Handsome
    12 hour shift
    ended at 8
    rode 9 miles
    at 11 mph
    raining .31 in/hr
    with 110 lumens
    100% fun!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    12 hour shift
    ended at 8
    rode 9 miles
    at 11 mph
    raining .31 in/hr
    with 110 lumens
    100% fun!
    I love riding in heavy rain as long as it's over 50* under that and it starts to suck a little bit

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ride in this am i got a flat in my rear tire. changed it out and enjoyed the tail wind the rest of the ride!
    Drew
    __________________________________________________ __
    Rides in Minneapolis, MN.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wind warning in effect I got 5 k into the teeth of 60 to 90 km/h wind, for the ride home.

Probably faster due to the funnel effect in the river valley.

Ouch they just added a light rainshower, to the forecast.

No-Brakes Cougar
    40% chance of precipitation today. None coming in, we'll see what happens on the way home?

I'd been off the bike for a couple of weeks due to me recovering from some surgery related to this incident, so I'd been walking to work. This week I started biking again in earnest, and as always happens after a lapse in being on the bike I've really been pushing myself hard to make up for lost fitness opportunities. I'm a bit sore.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by dcc1234

I'm now at day 12 since swine flu infection and still have lingering cough. Around day 5, when fever went away, I resumed bike commute. Co-workers of course think I'm crazy for biking in when 'sick'.

think this SF just takes a while to fully go away.

That about sums it up for me also. I think the commute helps, since I'm hacking up goo and blowing snot rockets all the way to work and back. I'm down to an annoying cough and congestion at this point.

Today it was raining, but not too bad. Sun came up and shot an orange glow on the ceiling of clouds...wicked rainbow over the valley with a dark black/blue cloud background. Came around a corner and there was a big 'ol buck on the shoulder of the road... he picked his head up and posed in the sunlight with the rainbow behind him. Pretty cool moment.

mtbr member
    today's commute was _awesome_! SEPTA, the local public trans. authority, is in day 4 of a strike, so there was more car traffic than usual. blew by a ton of cars backed up at stoplights. weather was high 30s and clear, with a nice stiff headwind that had me gasping and wishing i'd trained harder this season. that wind has held all day, so the ride home is gonna be hellafast. maybe i'll take the long way.

jrm
    mtbr member

Ran over a wood screw

which ruined the casing of my tire. Caught the bus/walked home. Replaced tire already for tomorrow.

weirdo
    Dang, Gary- you`re just now getting back on the bike? I bet you were really chomping at the bit.
    Recalculating....

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Today it was raining, but not too bad. Sun came up and shot an orange glow on the ceiling of clouds...wicked rainbow over the valley with a dark black/blue cloud background. Came around a corner and there was a big 'ol buck on the shoulder of the road... he picked his head up and posed in the sunlight with the rainbow behind him. Pretty cool moment.
    Sounds killer! If you`d had a camera, it could have made for a Fux moment! Then again, a lot of times I think we`re better off just enjoying things like that as opposed to trying to grab it with the camera and missing the experience in the process.
    Recalculating....

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Dang, Gary- you`re just now getting back on the bike? I bet you were really chomping at the bit.
    Well I've been on the bike since the incident in July, it's just that from the procedure (mid-October) until last week I had to stay off. Only about two weeks! I did a lot of walking and hiking to try and stay in shape a little. Though any time I saw someone fly by on a bike I would silently curse them (j/k).

weirdo
    Yeehaw! Gale force tail winds!

My avg work to home trip runs around 13 to 14 minutes. I`ve done it in 12 a few times, but that`s really busting my butt. Today was 9:32, spinnin and grinnin the whole way. After I got my speed up, I only dropped out of the big ring once for a car backing out of a driveway and once for a stop sign. I watched my speed fluctuate between 24 and 28 for close to a mile and gave it hell on the best downhill in order to to spin it up to the 40 mark!

Now I just hope they die down before I have to pedal back into it this afternoon
    Recalculating....

master blaster
    scary considering i got out of a dui(or wet and reckless whatever its called when your on a bike) not even a block away from my origin.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    IT FUGGING SUCKED!!!
    commute home last night was bad too!
    took the bus, had crazy people who're enamored with the sound of their own voice freely voicing their opinions the entire damn time... racist cracker pseudo-gangster speak. ooooh joy!

(been down with the flu, cold n wet riding would've made it worse)

back on two wheels as of monday though, nothing like a couple rush-hour bus rides to remind you how much riding into work is worth to you!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    rocked, three minutes to the trailhead and then a gentle little single track ride before busting a lung up to the pump track and a downhill home

Ride-Drink Beer-Repeat
    31* on the way in 55* on the way home. So.......sweeeet
    The Internet: All the piracy, none of the scurvy.

mtbr member

don't freak out the deer

Hope I won't get slammed for cross-posting, but my commute earlier this week was quite memorable, but not necessarily in a good way. Wrote about it in the Lights forum.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...32870#poststop

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcc1234
    Hope I won't get slammed for cross-posting, but my commute earlier this week was quite memorable, but not necessarily in a good way. Wrote about it in the Lights forum.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...32870#poststop
    When deer freak, they freak hard. They fall into a blind panic and just bolt, even if it's headlong into danger. I was driving home from work years ago when I had a doe in the middle of the street run straight at the car, head on! She turned away at the last minute.

I'm SUCH a square....
    About 37F this morning; legs weren't there, took the short way in and had a HOT breakfast. Coming home tonight, took the scenic route, had a good time! About 50F @ sunset, next to no traffic in the few areas I have to deal w/ it.

Actually looking forward to the times when I'm riding in the Dark dark, not just the dim; new light on the front of the bike, curious how it will do while rolling! Nice round glow in the garage, but that's not much of an indicator.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Cold (mid 30's) and a little slower than I would have liked.

The 1.8 mile ride took 7:08 min.

51 seconds stopped at lights and signs.

Top speed of 34.5mph and average speed of 15.1mph.

smell the saddle...
    Fair-weather commuter here from south Louisiana, temps were nice this morning at 57°, dry but humidity was up (hard to notice when the temp is cool). Forgive me for not commenting on the whole memorable or not, since I tend to ride with no goal in mind. I would say a memorable ride would lean more towards the bad (i.e. someone cut me off, I got a flat, etc.) So with that said, this morning was uneventful but I couldn’t have asked for better. I crossed another cyclist deep at the bottom of the tunnel walkway (I go under a waterway to get to work instead of the traffic-ridden bridges) which caused me to stand up and crank on the 48-16 single-speed ratio. Have to admit I usually love to fly through the tunnel but the extra effort was welcomed today. It also seemed there weren’t as many motorist on the streets since many are on vacation this week, which made the solitude even sweeter.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009

No good

My second Sigma computer went crazy this morning (In less than a year):

The first one (SIGMA BC906 9-Function Topline Wired) stop working properly the very same day I bought the Second One, yeah...what are the odds?....so I didn't care too much...contacted Sigma, they gave me a RA#, I sent them the computer...and almost 2 months later I'm still waiting.

The second one (SIGMA BC1606L CADENCE DTS Double Wireless) start to reset by itself on and off the bike this morning....I contacted amazon this time...they already send me a new one...they always treat me right..I'm happy for that... but I don't know for how long I will be using Sigma.

No-Brakes Cougar
    It seems unseasonably cold here in the Bay Area. The lows are supposedly in the lower 60s but it feels much colder than that. Must be the moist air. Lately when I've been riding to work my ears start to ache from the cold. Sometimes my lungs hurt too from huffing in cold air. This morning I actually had to break out the winter gloves. They aren't cycling gloves, but they're warm and get the job done. The upside to the cold weather is I can scorch through the park on the way to work without having to dodge people. The down side is it means more people in cars. -_-;

mtbr member
    May 2009
    28* and breezy this morning... had to put on an extra layer... nice ride, took the scenic route 12.5mi. 46min. Feeling a bit slower when it's cool out, lots of fresh air though

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

not today but...

someone else's comment reminded me of this, figured I'd share.
    was sprinting into work, converted mtb commuter, single speed, fenders, nothing flash just kind of useful.

this guy zips up on his performance hybrid and stares me down.
    when I'm at the lights he's really looking my bike over.
    so the light goes green, I do my thing and pedal off.
    several lights later he pulls up and he's angry, he says "what're you running?"
    so I give him my gear ratio
    "no I mean what kind of bike is that"?
    soul cycles hooligan, it's a mountain bike.
    "what're you... I mean your bike's not better than mine, it's not even a road bike, your tires and your gear ratio sucks, how're you faster than me?"

I carefully considered my words; Maybe I'm just stronger than you.
    Indignancy and vitriol followed (expectedly)

But I left thinking that he didn't really give me any other option.
    He poked fun of the bike, the gear ratio, and the tires.
    I felt like saying, sorry, but you kind of left me with nothing to comment on but the rider.
    If my bike/rider assembly is smoking your bike/rider assembly and as you so grumpily pointed out the bike part of my assembly sucks, then...

lord knows I wasn't exactly burning the ttires that day.
    just wondered if he spewed angry at other riders as well, or maybe if I somehow pushed his buttons by wearing baggy clothes or something?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    someone else's comment reminded me of this, figured I'd share.
    was sprinting into work, converted mtb commuter, single speed, fenders, nothing flash just kind of useful.

this guy zips up on his performance hybrid and stares me down.
    when I'm at the lights he's really looking my bike over.
    so the light goes green, I do my thing and pedal off.
    several lights later he pulls up and he's angry, he says "what're you running?"
    so I give him my gear ratio
    "no I mean what kind of bike is that"?
    soul cycles hooligan, it's a mountain bike.
    "what're you... I mean your bike's not better than mine, it's not even a road bike, your tires and your gear ratio sucks, how're you faster than me?"

I carefully considered my words; Maybe I'm just stronger than you.
    Indignancy and vitriol followed (expectedly)

But I left thinking that he didn't really give me any other option.
    He poked fun of the bike, the gear ratio, and the tires.
    I felt like saying, sorry, but you kind of left me with nothing to comment on but the rider.
    If my bike/rider assembly is smoking your bike/rider assembly and as you so grumpily pointed out the bike part of my assembly sucks, then...

lord knows I wasn't exactly burning the ttires that day.
    just wondered if he spewed angry at other riders as well, or maybe if I somehow pushed his buttons by wearing baggy clothes or something?
    That’s awesome!! Laughed out loud when I read that. I ride a converted MTB/Commuter with some low nobbys. I’ve passed a few rodies (nothing against rodies) and usually don’t get a hi back when I’m passing in my baggy commuting clothes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Fortunate to have good friends

So this morning’s commute didn’t quite go as smoothly as I had hoped. I was about 20 minutes into my 1 hour 40 minute ride when I heard the phhhht, phhhht , phhht sound of air coming out of my rear tire. Since I am running tubeless tires I tried to get the Stan's to fill the hole. Unfortunately I hadn't added any Stan's in probably 3 months and so this didn’t appear to be working, and because I didn’t want to waste any more time, I decided just to yank off the tire, install a tube, and be on my way.

I pulled the wheel off and removed the tire and that is when it struck me – I took my tool pouch off of my bike yesterday because a friend had wanted to ride my bike off-road (the pouch primarily holds tubes and other odds and ends I might need while commuting and I don't usually bring it when mtn biking) - I didn’t put it back on this morning. I was sitting there with my tire off and no tube available to put in. Oh sh!t!

I was only about 4 miles away from a friend's house and since it was almost 7 AM I gave him a call. It took him about 25 minutes to get there and he brought me a couple of tubes and helped me get on the way. Obviously, a 40 minute delay in my commute put me way behind schedule – because I was running so late, I was cranking extra hard so now my legs are spent.

Given that it is now raining outside and 50 degrees, it is shaping up to be a long, cold, wet, tiring ride home. That being said, it will still be better than being stuck in traffic!

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    When deer freak, they freak hard. They fall into a blind panic and just bolt, even if it's headlong into danger.

I left my garage door open one time and when I got home I trapped a doe in the garage with the front end of the Jeep. She was in there eating trash and just hanging out. We both froze, made eye contact for a second, and then she started trying to hit her head on the rafters and put her feet through everything, whether it was a steel post or not... I slammed it into reverse and got out just before she started heading for daylight (through the windshield), and luckily she didn't damage the Jeep. Can't say the same for the drywall.

I haven't had any issues shining lights on them from the bike though. I see deer literally every day on my commute, almost always more than 6 or 7. I have come close enough to hitting them on the bike that I could smell their breath (if it had been a buck I'd be missing an eye) but I have never had one panic from getting blasted with the headlamp. I have certainly seen them panic though. It goes beyond all reason. They completely lose their mind.

Page 1 of 428 123451151101 ... LastLast