Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How was your commute today?

3M views 28K replies 753 participants last post by  bbender785 
#1 ·
Well how was it?

Mine was good... hadn't been able to ride at all for the 10 days leading up to today, so it was a bit harder to get into the groove.

Forgot my battery pack for my big light, so I had to ride the last 5 miles on pothole ridden bikelanes with a little flasher.

Got honked at when I was as far right as I could be without getting doored.

All in all, it was a good commute... I ride alongside two different freeways (on a bike path) and get to see the traffic backed up for miles... People feverishly trying to type out their morning emails on their blackberry or looking ragged from sitting in traffic. Then I break away from the bike path and the traffic, and it all looks like a rat race in my rearview mirror.

#8,581 ·
As I was changing into my riding clothes to go home I saw the groomer go by on the thru-town snomo trail. So good. I've been having to go by the grocery store 3-4 times a week lately, it's been a while since I've been able to take the Ute down for a big shopping trip. It really is a push to get up my hill, with snowy roads, fat tires, work stuff, and 10-15 pounds of groceries. May have to try to get the old VW started for a grocery run...then again, maybe I'll wait until after the -20 temperatures.

#8,582 ·
I live on a hill as well, and can’t get motivated to haul more than a quart of milk or so. I applaud those who do. I use the car and combine grocery shopping with other errands like trash, bottle return, getting gas for the snowblower etc. If it was available here I might use some of my bikecommuter gas savings to pay for that Peapod online grocery delivery service. It’s about $10 for delivery in NYC, would have been great in my gram’s 5th floor walkup. With the added benefit of not spending my free time at the grocery store.

#8,586 ·
SJ, your profile says Scotland and Singapore. I take it you`re not looking out the windows at any castles about now :D. Is this your rainy season right now?

.........How do I look?
Yep - should delete the Scotland bit - not lived there this milenium yet - only visited. BTW it's mostly concrete in the cities not castles.
For the last three months it has pretty much rained every afternoon - although rain doesn't really come close to describing it - more like being caught in an oversized power washer is closer to the mark. Showing some signs of improvement over the last few days though

BTW you look something that Hitchcock or Sam Raimi would have been proud to have imagined:madmax:

#8,587 ·
Nice :lol:

That's it, right there. Dropping like a rock when the sun goes down. Not getting warm enough here for any really good fog though. Our highs are barely getting to the mid 30's. Just a few trickles of water coming out a foot or so from under the snow piles before they freeze up again. boring forecast for the next several days... single digit low, high of 34, single digit low, high of 35, single digit low, high of 33,...
I feel your pain, my feet were cold when I got home. BTW temp is lower left on pix.

Mark

Attachments

#8,588 ·
6C(43F) this morning, capping off a really nice and really sloppy week. Trails have been too soft, so I've had to stick to the roads on the way home. There's still plenty of snow around, but there's even grass showing through in a few spots.

But that grass is stupid, because on Sunday it's supposed to be -27C(-17F). Thankfully I don't plan on riding anywhere, and the rest of next week is only supposed to be normal-cold and not really-cold. But Monday morning could be pretty rough, and all of the slop is going to flashfreeze into icy little moonscapes.

#8,589 ·
We have the icy moonscapes now. 5F when I passed the thermometer sign near work. I was dressed for it so no problems but I am slower than a spotted salamander in these temps. Although spotted salamanders might be frozen nearly solid right now. If not solid I think the cold would slow them down more then me so I may still be faster...but I digress.

I wish the trails were passable, maybe after this weekend.

#8,592 ·
I had an epiphany this morning. A well-digger's a$$ really can't be that cold at all, since the simple fact that he's digging a well implies that the ground isn't frozen solid like the arctic tundra that I'm commuting on. I would pay good money to be as warm as a well-digger's a$$.

#8,593 ·
I had an epiphany this morning. A well-digger's a$$ really can't be that cold at all, since the simple fact that he's digging a well implies that the ground isn't frozen solid like the arctic tundra that I'm commuting on. I would pay good money to be as warm as a well-digger's a$$.
Well well diggers often have to dig through frozen ground around here....

Actually we do most of the pipeline work in the winter, and hand expose the pipelines for tie-ins ...

Takes a while and the diggers get stinking cold.

#8,595 ·
I skipped the ride today as it was 14 degrees and there's supposed to be a strong wind this evening (although it'll be up to mid 20s by then). I feel like I'm pushing it with a single layer of tights in the low to mid 20s, 14 was too much. How low do you all go before adding another layer on the legs?

#8,596 ·
I skipped the ride today as it was 14 degrees and there's supposed to be a strong wind this evening (although it'll be up to mid 20s by then). I feel like I'm pushing it with a single layer of tights in the low to mid 20s, 14 was too much. How low do you all go before adding another layer on the legs?
I ride down to about -15 C with a single layer of tights...5 F.

The trick is to have really well insulated feet (winter snow bike boots shimano MW81 or equal).....I also wear a pair of chamois shorts underneath the tights.

I hate wearing two pairs of tights, I layer a size large on top of the mediums....the do restrict the laeg somewhat.

#8,597 · (Edited)
Cold for this morning's ride. 1 F. A bit of a shock to the system after the last two weeks being so warm. Also, I just had no energy at all. In fact one of my co-workers commented after I got here that I was looking a bit pale. Hope I'm just tired and not getting ill.

The colder temps did a good job of consolidating down the snow we got yesterday so things were not too bad in terms of being slippy.

It does sound like more snow is in the forecast for this weekend, so by Monday the trails should be amazing for riding, particularly if the groomers are able to get out.

I did run up on a young bull moose on the ride in. Just taking his time walking down the center of the trail. Those darn moose really slow down the commute. They don't respond to cries of "Passing on your left." Well they do. About as well as the skiers do. ;)

Thank goodness it is Friday!

#8,598 ·
Somewhere in the mid 20's I throw on a windproof pair of rain pants over the tights. I either wear mtb shorts and leg warmers, or thick (Sugoi 'subzero') tights, and then put the windproof pants on over the top. Once you block the wind, you're good to go. I've ridden both combos in the negative 4 range.

#8,599 ·
^^:lol: I've thought about trying to fab some cardboard and duct tape pogies. I'd use black duct tape to make sure it fit my bike's decor.
CB can use camo duct tape.:thumbsup:

Well well diggers often have to dig through frozen ground around here....Takes a while and the diggers get stinking cold.
Had to dig out the 4 ' deep line to the barn or haul a ridiculous amount of water one winter. The exercise of pick axing down keeps you warm enough until you hit water. Water has a hellacious heat capacity. Sucks you dry. Fingers lose feeling fast. A$$ not far behind. :D

I can't say that I've heard that expression, but I'd have to agree with you, as the groundwater stays pretty much the same temperature year round. Similarly, I don't see any reason why a witch's teat should be particularly cold either.
Well I'd guess the ones in Salem, Mass were pretty toasty at one time. Different meaning to "Light my Fire!" :eekster:

I have different density layers so I use the stand in a sheltered area of the house test. Yep need another layer. Or that's about right. Neighbors know I'm nuts. So no problem if they see me. I ride a bike in winter. Enough said. :confused:

BrianMc

BrianMc

#8,600 ·
Had to dig out the 4 ' deep line to the barn or haul a ridiculous amount of water one winter. The exercise of pick axing down keeps you warm enough until you hit water. Water has a hellacious heat capacity. Sucks you dry. Fingers lose feeling fast. A$$ not far behind. :D

BrianMc

BrianMc
I had a job as a soils tester....worst job was measuring the fronst level....pretty high say 2 feet down in Decmeber....by March frozen down to about 8 feet

In June we still have a layer of frost that goes from about 8 feet down to 10 feet down.

We had a 4 inch diameter auger...when you hit ice you knew you would be there for quite a while.