Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How was your commute today?

3M views 28K replies 753 participants last post by  cyclingdutchman 
#1 ·
Well how was it?

Mine was good... hadn't been able to ride at all for the 10 days leading up to today, so it was a bit harder to get into the groove.

Forgot my battery pack for my big light, so I had to ride the last 5 miles on pothole ridden bikelanes with a little flasher.

Got honked at when I was as far right as I could be without getting doored.

All in all, it was a good commute... I ride alongside two different freeways (on a bike path) and get to see the traffic backed up for miles... People feverishly trying to type out their morning emails on their blackberry or looking ragged from sitting in traffic. Then I break away from the bike path and the traffic, and it all looks like a rat race in my rearview mirror.

#8,421 ·
-13F and my upper body was a bit too warm, owing to 1 extra layer compared to yesterday, plus switching to the insulated helmet. I still dislike goggles, but I must admit they worked great today with a gator neoprene mask - zero fogging. I tried them first with the bike helmet but they were interfering with each other, and they worked much better with the insulated helmet with a goggle keeper on the back. My feet got cold, even with boots claiming -35F rating.

A pic of Dix Reservoir and Camel's Hump (it's on the VT Quarter). Thankfully there was no wind, unlike last night.
BURR, Upper 20's to mid 30's here in Anchorage still. Where's that fat studded fatback???

#8,422 ·
BURR, Upper 20's to mid 30's here in Anchorage still. Where's that fat studded fatback???
Honestly, I was afeared of taking the trails to work in this cold snap, especially since the last trip on them on Monday took 2 1/2 hours! Most of the snowmobile trails are probably better packed now, but this morning I saw that my personal feeder trails I re-packed on New Years day were all drifted in. :sad:

#8,424 ·
schedule got switched to 9-6

traffic in the morning is a lot lighter on the roads at 8am when I leave

it seams everyone heads for Atlanta around 7:30 or so in order to get in for their 9am shift

The ride home is a lot darker and pausing to watch the stars for a bit really is enjoyable.

#8,425 ·
Did you notice it is -15 but only feels like -4. Now don't be a baby and go ride your bike
:lol: +2 for my ride home this morning, and it felt like cold, so I was a baby about it! Then couldn`t resist waking up my wife by dropping my frozen mittens on her warm face when I walked into the house.

The snow in my yard is getting old, but still squeaks when I walk or ride over it, so needs a lot more heat before it starts melting. The nice part about cold is that it means NO MUD.

The iBike test run was decent.
iBike? Is that a battery assisted bike of some kind? Sounds like you mentioned it already, but I must have missed it. Report?

#8,428 ·
Got honked at when I was as far right as I could be without getting doored.
Drivers don't know about the door problem so you were seen as a road hog. They also don't recognize that you decide where it is safe for you to ride, not them, Also in most places you have the right to the entire lans, if you need it for safety. In Indiana a line of 6 backed up requires one to pull over. Otherwise, they wait for a safe place to pass.

BrianMc

#8,432 ·
Woo Hooo! First lake crossing and snomobile trail ride of the season. The trails are packed powder so there are spots where I sink too much and it took me 1:45 to do my commute. A fatbike with studded tires would have been Ideal! to cross the lake and float over the packed trails.
Nice pics! You have enough ice, now, huh? I saw that 4 snowmobilers dropped through at Rangeley Lake (and did not get out alive) over there just before the cold snap.

And on that fatbike, they are in pretty high demand, so it seems doubtful that the one you saw on CL for a good price for weeks really was sold that day. The seller probably just did not take it down after the sale and didn't want to fess up. What I'm trying to say is, if you have to pay more than that, don't feel bad.

#8,435 ·
was something like -16C windchill'd today.
i lost the bolt to my fender so my tire was dragging hard, but hey, my wife broke off the shift paddle on her campy veloce shifter so I'm not feeling too bad!
running 31mm panaracer crossblaster front and 35mm kenda kross supreme tires now.
pretty decent.

#8,437 ·
I didn't even suspect until you denied it so vehemently

So where should I be looking for cracks. I have been avoiding the fatbike forum.
Only seems to be the model year the frames were painted white, or so i've seen. Its the seat stay to seat tube weld, in the Heat Affected Zone. You can bearly make it out sometimes but the power coat starts to crack and lines form around the weld.

#8,438 ·
i lost the bolt to my fender so my tire was dragging hard, but hey, my wife broke off the shift paddle on her campy veloce shifter so I'm not feeling too bad!
Doh! And double Doh! Good thing you weren`t riding studs- would have been like a cheese grater.

No more BikeCO? I thought he was going to hang around, but haven`t seen him in a while. Same with Junior in AZ.

Plant closed tonight, but my boss hooked me up with some PM inspections, so I`ll be all by myself. Get to ride all the way through the warehouse and park at my bench :)
And taking a 13 week break from graveyard (going to swing) starting in a week. That`ll be nice.

#8,439 ·
I didn't even suspect until you denied it so vehemently

So where should I be looking for cracks. I have been avoiding the fatbike forum.
Wimpus fatbikeus! But I will help. (apologies for the derail to others not in need of fatbike therapy). It's simple, you just have to hurry up and figure out which of the 26'r or 29'r twins you want to keep, and then it will be (n-1)+1=n

A few of the posted pix, where Jordy said, but a black was just posted:

Attachments