Page 70 of 439 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120170 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,500 of 21935
    mtbr member
    You guys are gonna laugh but....

Since I ride the MUT to work, I don't have cars and such to worry about clobbering me, so I listen to podcasts for the ride. I do so on my iPhone, and the headset I use is the one that comes with the phone, and has a mic, a remote control for volume, play, stop, etc. So, since I'm plugged in, if I get a call, it pauses my podcast, rings in my ear and I can answer. I have a specific ringer set for my wife, one for calls from work, etc, so I know whether or not I want to/should answer
    :wq

mtbr member
    Today's commute was good, uneventful, that's good, right? Yesterday not so much, it was only commute #3 by bike in my life, I still always feel like I forgot something. Yesterday I did, I forgot a belt and my glasses...I couldn't tuck in my shirt at work, no big deal, they're pretty lax about dress code, and I had a headache by the end of the day from squinting and being close to my computer. Also, when I went to leave, I had a flat tire, I had ridden 16 miles the night before and it wasn't flat when I finished the ride. Not a good day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Today's commute was good, uneventful, that's good, right? Yesterday not so much, it was only commute #3 by bike in my life, I still always feel like I forgot something. Yesterday I did, I forgot a belt and my glasses...I couldn't tuck in my shirt at work, no big deal, they're pretty lax about dress code, and I had a headache by the end of the day from squinting and being close to my computer. Also, when I went to leave, I had a flat tire, I had ridden 16 miles the night before and it wasn't flat when I finished the ride. Not a good day.
    I'm slowly working my way through forgetting everything.

So far I'm at:

underwear
    belt
    wallet (realized this quickly though and rode back home to grab it)
    laptop

I never forget the same thing twice..

Wanderer
    Took a bit longer route (just 18 miles) on the way home yesterday. A very small lunch combined with a hot day got me a bit dizzy for a bit. Slowed down and felt better. Ate like a pig when I got home tho. Todays commute felt fine surprisingly.

mtbr member
    The ride home last night was good. The warm weather is bringing more people out, which clogs up the MUT a little bit. I also left later than normal, which could have contributed.

This morning kind of sucked. My legs didn't want to work from the get-go. I was slower by a few minutes across town, and it wasn't for lack of trying. I hope the ride home is better.

weirdo
    It`s hotter than hell. Somebody flipped a switch and summer began about 11 AM yesterday.
    Maybe I`ll go clog up Nacho`s MUT with wife and tandem Sunday. Not that it`ll be any cooler down there

mtbr member
    I don't know what it is about people wanting to turn into me. This morning as I was nearing my work, a red car was turning left from a parking lot. She stopped, then started turning just as I was coming through. I skidded my tires to avoid slamming into the side of her car. I know she saw me, but she pretended not to. I don't get it. To make it even more awkward, she works on the same street as I do, so I had to follow her all the way to my office.

mtbr member
    ^ it's definitely not just you. It happens to me all the time, even with my snazzy new hi-vis vest, and particularly at one specific intersection. People are dumb. I try to avoid them.

6 new bikes in the parkade today (normally it's just me and another guy, and maybe one more). This week is Commuter Challenge, but today was the first day that the forecast didn't call for rain, so it brought out all the fair-weather cyclists.

mtbr member
    Oh one thing I forgot from yesterday, which I'm a little excited about ..

While waiting at a stop light another commuter caught up, but of course he hit right as it went green and I ended up behind him after we made our left hand turn. He was an older guy on an older mountain bike and he was going pretty slow, so when it was safe I passed him and went on my way.

So after I get on the MUT I'm jamming along and I approach a park on my left and who do I see coming up to the MUT? The same guy from earlier. Obviously he has some short cut that I am not employing, so I mapped it out and according to ridewithgps.com this new route will shave almost a mile off of the ride. I'm going to pedal it tonight on the way home and see if it's viable; it's along a busy-ish road but has a nice bike lane. We'll see if it ends up being worth while.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I don't know what it is about people wanting to turn into me. This morning as I was nearing my work, a red car was turning left from a parking lot. She stopped, then started turning just as I was coming through. I skidded my tires to avoid slamming into the side of her car. I know she saw me, but she pretended not to. I don't get it. To make it even more awkward, she works on the same street as I do, so I had to follow her all the way to my office.
    Drivers who are oblivious to bikes are extremely dangerous.

If someone doesn't see me and even starts to get in my way....

I whistle loudly...

If that doesn't get them, I will try to catch up to them (usually quite doable in traffic) and let them know for sure what they did when I catch them.

If they get aggressive then so do I...if not then I don't....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Riding my mountain bike with slicks to work today, road bike is in the shop for some work. The first half of this week was in the 90s and raining so I didn't ride at all. Today I get cold and wind. Legs aren't feeling as wonderful today and I'm definitely not looking forward to the headwind the whole way home.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    This morning was quite a delight, scattered clouds and a beautiful sunrise. This afternoon riding home I ended up redecorating a minivan's passenger door when I was cut off. No damage done to the steed or myself, wish I could say the same for the van.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Wow, did you bounce, or what?? Glad you are OK, hope you're not feeling too banged up tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dolli310 View Post
    This morning was quite a delight, scattered clouds and a beautiful sunrise. This afternoon riding home I ended up redecorating a minivan's passenger door when I was cut off. No damage done to the steed or myself, wish I could say the same for the van.
    :\ Sorry, dude

mtbr member
    Tonights ride was interesting. It was like "go as slow as you can just as nacho approaches and there is oncoming traffic rendering passing impossible until after he slows down to our 9 mph" night. Between that and the head wind, it was a long ride.

I did try out that new route though, and it was pretty good. Chopped about a mile off the ride home, which rocks. I need to massage it a little to figure out the fastest way through the park on to the MUT but I think I'll keep using it!

After I got home and cleaned up I headed over to get my baby from day care. I had forgotten it was 'meet your teacher' night, and my daughter is getting ready to graduate up to the toddler class so I hung out in there for a bit, asking questions and watching her play. I was treated also: when I walked in, still sweating a bit since I hadn't cooled off all the way from the ride yet, they had a table loaded with bowls of ice cream. After the ride and being hot, it was just what I needed

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    @ mtbxplorer: I guess I did bounce. I was up off the pavement before the woman got out of her van. Not too banged up this morning, slept like a baby last night.

@ nachomc: Thanks. I'm just glad it wasn't much worse than what it was.

Wanderer
    My legs are done for the week. No power at all on the way in. I hope they feel better on the way home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I think it's partly the drivers around here. They suck. I know this lady saw me. I was watching her and she looked right at me as she was stopping. Then she just went. It happens too much.

The sun was shining this morning, but one the one cloud above me started to rain. I didn't mind though. It's been hot this whole week, so it felt refreshing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    @dolli: glad you're ok!

@nacho: ice cream after a ride? Jealous!

@toff: hope your friday afternoon legs are happy

I was planning on riding in crappy weather so I rode the beater miyata today. Its not nearly as enjoyable as my crosscheck has been all week. The seatpost was slipping all the way to work, had to adjust it 3 times. Jogger on the MUP had her headphones in and was oblivious to my bell ringing, so I had to ride off course and blow past her, which pissed her off. Its payday Friday, my ride was supposed to be better than this! Hopefully the weatherman is wrong and the ride home is better.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Drivers who are oblivious to bikes are extremely dangerous.....
    Welcome to my world.

If someone doesn't see me ...I whistle loudly...
    I use a parade ground level HEY! (Adenalin boost!) Works pretty well too. Faster than hitting the Airzound button which I am reaching for as I plan my out in case HEY! isn't enough.

If that doesn't get them, I will try to catch up to them ...
    This is dangerous here some are packin' heat, but yes I have and they knew I was not happy with their concept of 'sharing the road'.

Drivers can look right at you but not see you in terms ot trajectory, speed, collision course etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dolli310 View Post
    ...This afternoon riding home I ended up redecorating a minivan's passenger door when I was cut off. No damage done to the steed or myself, wish I could say the same for the van.
    Sounds like you got some braking in or weren't flyin'. Sometimes just when you are sure they are yielding.....then there is often neither time nor space to do much other than minimize bodily injury. Any accident you walk from with mere bruises and more experience is a good one.

Got a one way ride in this morning. One truck passed with mirror about 18" off my shoulder. I tend to get that in spandex, not the ANSI vest. So I'd guess he was clueless not trying to intimidate.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 06-12-2011 at 10:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    My legs are done for the week. No power at all on the way in. I hope they feel better on the way home.
    Same here. I started up towards the summit of my biggest climb: the 50ft overpass and my legs immediately went all noodley. Geared down, coasted over the top, a few stars were seen. I felt better as I got further in to the ride, and was holding 19 mph or so, but any challenge other than pushing on flat ground left me searching for a lower gear. After today I'll have 179 miles for the week though

I can't ride next week so I'm looking forward to a little recovery time. I will probably get in a ride on Sunday the 19th and then I get to go to Tahoe and I'm riding around the lake. I can't wait
    Last edited by nachomc; 06-10-2011 at 10:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Free muffin and coffee for me this morning. So free treats for cyclists, bike co-op in the parking lot with tune-up stands, patio full of cyclists, and bikes parked everywhere - a nice little biketopia. (I still couldn't bring myself to leave my bike unlocked when I ran inside for the goodies, though.)

Wanderer
    I'll be at 112 miles at the end of today, a good bit for me right now. I'll be showing a friend tomorrow the Anthills tho (you remember that trail Nacho?) as he has never really been offroad on his mountain bike. It should be interesting.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Thanks again for all the OT well wishes for Luna! I'm happy to report that she is out of the vet hospital and back home and eating and feeling pretty good. She even came by the office for pets from everyone, sorry I did not take her picture! Sadly the diagnosis is cancer, but one day at a time.

Snow forecast today, hope I can squeek out the commute before too much accumulates.
    An OT update, my friend's dog Luna is doing amazingly well. She has been on a raw diet & looks great! Thanks for all the well-wishes from around the world. I love how her coat is camoflauge on the carpet at work:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p6060544.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ahh mtb, the Luna update makes my heart happy. Glad she's doing better!

My dog is named Luna too, and we're getting a foster doggie on Sunday named Lula. Its going to be confusing around my house!
    Jason

weirdo
    Trying to get some whels laced for my recumbent last night and had to search all over the place for tools. Finally got them finished and was going to stretch the dropouts and install today, couldn`t find my roll of string, the cassette I was going to use, or any new brake pads (and I KNEW they were all somewhere around)- ended up cleaning out my shed first. Holy cow, where did all that crap come from !?! Filled my garbage can, hauled a load into town with cardboard for recycle and a bunch of tires and misc parts to donate to Reno Bike Project, gave away an old pressure washer via Craigslist and have somebody comming out this evening to haul off a bed frame. My shed looks nice now- time to start filling it up with new crap. Oh, finally did get my wheels mounted. Test ride after I eat lunch

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    An OT update, my friend's dog Luna is doing amazingly well.
    Yay!

mtbr member
    The Prickly Pear is in full bloom. The Yucca has started.

Buster was adopted Easter Saturday. He is a 6 year old Manx, white with green eyes.

He is a most dog-like cat. Showed him Luna. I think the response was "Hi" but it might have been "Its dinner time."

mtbr member
    Fun ride tonight. Glad it's the weekend so I can take a break ...

Did the new route again today. Considering dropping it. The entry is through a park with a bunch of speed bumps and a slow (for safety reasons) path to enter the MUT. Not sure it's worth lopping off a mile of the ride (which only saves maybe 3 and a half minutes at normal pace but is eroded due to slow speed, the bumps, etc.

The rest of the ride was ... interesting. Got a call from my boss right as I picked up the MUT, so I stopped a few minutes later to review some email and forward some documentation to a PM. Then, I think I buzzed a 'pedestrian' as close as I have ever done so. Stay with me though, it's not what it sounds like...I'm cruising the MUT, close to the end of my ride on it. I see ahead there are three people - one dude on a cruiser bike, two guys on foot. The guys on foot are dead in the middle of the trail, cruiser guy is blocking the whole right lane. So OK, I just move in to the left lane, but as I do, the guy on the cruiser moves out of the right lane (trying to get out of my way) but in to the left lane and new path I've chosen. I adjust and start to move right when one of the guys on foot starts walking back wards and I cut it a little harder. We probably came within a few feet of each other but didn't collide. I didn't set out to make a point, but I think I drove one home in the end.

At this point I'm off the bike for about a week. I can't ride next week till Friday or so (and even then it's questionable). Looking forward to a little recovery time. I commuted four days this week, and pedaled out 180 miles over 10 hours in the process. I saved about $91 this week if you use the IRS per mile charge for business miles traveled. Not too shabby

edit: And as of today I'm #4 on strava for commuter miles. Yeah buddy!!!!

weirdo
    Brian, you`re kidding me! Nopales way up there in Indiana? You seem to grow everything! Pineapples next year?

Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    Not sure it's worth lopping off a mile of the ride (which only saves maybe 3 and a half minutes at normal pace but is eroded due to slow speed, the bumps, etc.

I commuted four days this week, and pedaled out 180 miles over 10 hours in the process.
    Seems to work for the "older guy on an older mountain bike".

Way more miles than I ever manage out of ten hours of riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Brian, you`re kidding me! Nopales way up there in Indiana? You seem to grow everything! Pineapples next year? .
    Indiana is a longish state. We're in the banana belt not far from Kentucky. We've had -25 F and we get up to about 105 plus humidex. Remember the dyno pic bike propped in the snow? Global warming. Maybe I should bone up on banana growing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The weather finally cooled down to a nice and cold 88 degrees for my ride into work today. Even though it was hot, still an enjoyable ride. It's raining now, I hope it holds off for my ride, but will enjoy the cooling off it causes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

If someone doesn't see me and even starts to get in my way....

I whistle loudly...

If that doesn't get them, I will try to catch up to them (usually quite doable in traffic) and let them know for sure what they did when I catch them.

If they get aggressive then so do I...if not then I don't....
    As are oblivious bicyclists and pedestrians...

I was once riding through GG Park on the way home and some guy walking in the same direction as I was going stopped to take a picture of his family in front of the new Deyoung Museum. I guess in framing his shot, he decided he needed to back up and stepped off the curb and right into the bike lane. He didn't think to take a look at traffic until he was standing in the bike lane right in front of me. He turned around and got a nice surprise from my presence and then fell on his bum tripping on the curb when he tried to back up. He was all fine except his ego. Scared the hell out of me also since I was afraid I was going to crash and this was a pretty heavy set guy, maybe 5-10 or 6ft and 300lbs or so. His fat rolls kinda showed through his sweatshirt.

Yesterday, a group of fixie or SS riders decided to run a 4-way stop and I almost plowed over the lead. I need to make a left and I did not anticipate that they were not going to stop. (I didn't realize that they were on fixie until I saw how the first guy had to stop.) The lead rider was about 30-50 ft from the line when I was letting the clutch out. No injuries or damage, but he was pretty upset.

In a previous collision, I hit a salmon bicyclist riding on the sidewalk who rode into an intersection when street traffic had a green arrow that sent cars right into him.

mtbr member
    I got new panniers today. I was using Novara Transfer panniers, which worked OK. They were pretty secure on the bike but cumbersome off the bike. Hard to carry, etc. Then part of the clip that attaches them to the bike started popping off when the panniers were not attached to the rack, and last night I noticed the nylon handle was tearing :\.

Thanks to REI, I exchanged them for a Timbuk2 Tandem Pannier setup. Now I have just one bag to carry all my gear to work, whether I drive or ride. The attachment clip has me a little uncomfortable, and I won't get to test that out for a couple weeks until I go back to work. We'll see how they do!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Got my Niterider Minewt 250 cordless from Chainlove this past week and just got back from testing it out. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't be bright enough and considered getting the 350 instead, but without street lighting I could go pretty fast. Not as fast as daylight during the downhill sections though. Still trying to figure out how to aim it properly. Not sure if I want a big bright spot in front of me or dimmer with more throw.

There's no comparison even with my Planet Bike 2W. That thing was absolutely inadequate for unlit paths. I still managed to startle myself on an unlit path though because a bike ninja was riding on the side of the path and I couldn't see him until I was about 50 ft from him. Pretty sure he didn't have reflectors since I could see reflective material on gates and posts from a thousand feet. I mean I saw something moving but wasn't sure if I was looking at foliage or something else.

What still surprises me is the number of people who don't use any lights. Even with numerous street lamps, I found they were quite hard to see even from 50 to 100 ft. Amongst a sea of headlamps, they may as well not be there or not much more than a shadow.

Other things I noticed, the City really needs to install more reflective material on their barriers. Some of the roads are closed to cars on weekends and they use swing gates or the mobile barriers that link together such those used for parades and such. Only one of three swing gates I passed had reflective material on them and I saw them from thousands of feet away. The others I didn't see until maybe 100 or so.

mtbr member
    Didn't commute over the weekend, just wanted to hop in here and say my new 20.1 mi round trip to work went really well on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday last week. I'm going to try for all of this week assuming we don't get any storms around here. It's not much compared to some of you guys, but I'm still pretty stoked since it's more than three times my old commute.

Moderator Moderator
    I had to return the work car today, but riding home tonight. Got in a trail ride yesterday before the rain came again. Wore shorts and wool longsleeve since it was only 50 and damp. The trails were wet & slickery from Saturday's rain, but not muddy if you picked the right ones. The bike went down hard on some of this wet rock, but somehow I ended up standing. Tried "Off Botanical" for the skeeters...it works well, at least for a couple hours, and is more like hand cream than a stinky icky insect repellent. A pic of my current dogsittee "Spirit" & her friend "Bruin" that joined us last weekend. Did I mention he somehow managed to pick up 1 porcupine quill?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-p6120634.jpg  

How was your commute today?-p6050543.jpg  

Last edited by mtbxplorer; 06-13-2011 at 11:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hot and sweaty .

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Duckies crossed my path today. It was so damn windy I was going slow enough to watch them.

Jason

mtbr member
    Temps about 15 F lower very nice day so commuted to volunteer work and back.

Longish post. Please forgive.

Apparently lead poisoned people feel better with exercise (As long as it isn't high-velocity lead poisoning). I guess the endorphins help a lot. While mercury toxic ones have a post exercise collapse because it messes up stress hormones. Yep, on both counts. Plus Cadmium and Copper are also messing me up too. I was hoping the new supplements would let me crank up the miles again. Nope.

I will ride when I can, as much as I can, and will post here if and when I remember.

Mercury does a number on short-term memory and Lead on long term, and both are synergistic and reduce something else important, but I forgot what it was since it was the first to go.

I am looking at three years or more to get it sorted and the worst comes weeks after the amalgam fillings come out helped by chelation therapy a month or more ahead. It will be easier than the likely promise of 50 pills a day or AZ or mercury induced Parkinson's if I don't.

Since lead lowers IQ, through chelation, I'm looking forward to uncovering my true genius.

Since mercury makes you well, mercurial, I am looking forward to a much more easy going 'me', once chelated. Riding along, waving at friends, flipping the bird at @$$h0le drivers, all with a smile like Bob, and have the same reason to!

If I was a weight weine I'd be happy losing heavy fillings and sequested heavy metals, too. Lead often causes a very hard to get rid of spare tire so I may get ripling abs, too bad the 'old guy' hair will hide them!

So if you have to replace older amalgam fillings, have resin ones instead. I wish I had in the mid eighties when they were all redone and I was poisoned some more with the removal and poisoned every minute since. You may be very glad you did, especially if you have a good chunk or Northern European in you. There is a hint that if you sunburn easily, you'll be even happier.

My return to more active cycling was, my route back to normal weight and health. Instead it and a very healthy diet, appear to have safeguarded me from a complete and earlier collapse. So I'm taking a different kind of hiatus than Commuterboy. A reduction. For a time.

This sucks to tell you, but I feel we're all friends, here. Mercury makes it hard to face meeting new people. It's easier here. I'm not quite dead yet (my mantra ) and I will deal with this and recover. For those of you who thought me a little, well a lot odd: "You may be right. I may be crazy, but it seems I unlike some I know, have an excuse!" (Apologies to Billy Joel).

Also choose your Avatar carefully. Mine turns out to either be prophetic about burning (oxidation) and heavy metals, or a subconscious recognition? Weird. (Cue Twilight Zone Theme here.) I look forward to replacing it when I get the lead out. Copper first.

Brian.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post

... For those of you who thought me a little, well a lot odd: "You may be right. I may be crazy, but it seems I unlike some I know, have an excuse!" (Apologies to Billy Joel).
    Hey Brian, the advantage of a long post is that tomorrow you will be able to read what you were thinking.

I am sorry to hear how you are affected, what really concerns me though is that I never thought you the least bit odd - might have to get myself checked.

Seriously, I am glad that you have a plan to get better - the world is a better place with you around.

Cheers

Bruce

Moderator Moderator
    Hey Brian, yes, friends here, sorry to hear about the troubles. Thanks for letting us know, so we don't worry uneccessarily - only necessary worrying now. It sounds like a long haul, but I'm glad you figured out what was going on, and hopefully you'll feel better after treatment. I hope you can still get out for some rides. After I hurt my ankle I was thrilled to get back out, even soft-pedaling at first-grader pace on the bike path.

mtbr member
    ^^ Thanks. I knew that though we can't raise a pint together, or few of us can, that we have a community here. Nice to know I still make sense. I will keep you posted on riding. I shall never surrender! "They (heavy Metals) will never take me alive!"

weirdo
    Heavy metal poisoning from fillings? Great- a new one to worry about. I thought it would be enough to just quit chewing paint off the walls.
    I`m not quite sure I understood the whole thing. So, they`re going to replace your old fillings with new plastics and give you a heavy-duty pill routine to help clear the stuff out of your system? I didn`t know about the poisoning and didn`t know that anything could be done after the fact. Hope it works out as well as possible.

Wanderer
    Had some mist in the middle of the park this morning which we rarely get here in Houston texas. Was neat seeing the floating mist from 100 yards away then entering it and watching my new light saber light beam.

Spotted two armadillos also right next to the bike trail, one was pretty large.

Moderator Moderator
    Sightings last night:

A guy kneeling is his garden, supervised by a black cat sitting nearby;

A deer, staring at me go by;

A guy in his 60's pushing his bike up my hill...Me: need anything? ...Him: No, I'm just getting too old for this...Me: Nah, we're getting too old not to do this. I looked back in a minute & saw him riding again.

Happy Flag Day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-flag-chains.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Brian: get back to 100% soon, ok? In the meantime fill this board with long posts as much as you like, I enjoy your old man ramblings I look forward to someday buying you a beer when I'm in your neck of the woods.

Todays ride was odd. The skies look omnious, as if a storm is coming. That's not unusual actually, but seeing other commuters with dark clouds above certainly is! I saw the roadie/messenger bag guy again, whom I've seen a few times before. The other guy was new. An older guy on a mountain bike with panniers. No waves, bell rings, or nods though. Maybe next time.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Good luck Brian. Did the problems just unexpectedly show up on some routine tests, or did you have some suspicions beforehand?

Rain for me. The whole week is supposed to be rainy (although the forecasts have been saying that for a few weeks now, and have been mostly wrong).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Temps about 15 F lower very nice day so commuted to volunteer work and back.

Apparently lead poisoned people feel better with exercise (As long as it isn't high-velocity lead poisoning). I guess the endorphins help a lot. While mercury toxic ones have a post exercise collapse because it messes up stress hormones. Yep, on both counts. Plus Cadmium and Copper are also messing me up too. I was hoping the new supplements would let me crank up the miles again. Nope.

I will ride when I can, as much as I can, and will post here if and when I remember.

Mercury does a number on short-term memory and Lead on long term, and both are synergistic and reduce something else important, but I forgot what it was since it was the first to go.

I am looking at three years or more to get it sorted and the worst comes weeks after the amalgam fillings come out helped by chelation therapy a month or more ahead. It will be easier than the likely promise of 50 pills a day or AZ or mercury induced Parkinson's if I don't.

Since lead lowers IQ, through chelation, I'm looking forward to uncovering my true genius.

Since mercury makes you well, mercurial, I am looking forward to a much more easy going 'me', once chelated. Riding along, waving at friends, flipping the bird at @$$h0le drivers, all with a smile like Bob, and have the same reason to!

If I was a weight weine I'd be happy losing heavy fillings and sequested heavy metals, too. Lead often causes a very hard to get rid of spare tire so I may get ripling abs, too bad the 'old guy' hair will hide them!

So if you have to replace older amalgam fillings, have resin ones instead. I wish I had in the mid eighties when they were all redone and I was poisoned some more with the removal and poisoned every minute since. You may be very glad you did, especially if you have a good chunk or Northern European in you. There is a hint that if you sunburn easily, you'll be even happier.

My return to more active cycling was, my route back to normal weight and health. Instead it and a very healthy diet, appear to have safeguarded me from a complete and earlier collapse. So I'm taking a different kind of hiatus than Commuterboy. A reduction. For a time.

This sucks to tell you, but I feel we're all friends, here. Mercury makes it hard to face meeting new people. It's easier here. I'm not quite dead yet (my mantra ) and I will deal with this and recover. For those of you who thought me a little, well a lot odd: "You may be right. I may be crazy, but it seems I unlike some I know, have an excuse!" (Apologies to Billy Joel).

Also choose your Avatar carefully. Mine turns out to either be prophetic about burning (oxidation) and heavy metals, or a subconscious recognition? Weird. (Cue Twilight Zone Theme here.) I look forward to replacing it when I get the lead out. Copper first.

Brian.
    I was okay in all metals when tested but when they added up all the totals that exceeded the recommended value....So I had Chelation....

Basically take some pills for a while and your done...

That and some other naturapathic remedies have worked wonders to get my immune system back to where it should be.

Still want a fat bike....
    Good rides today and yesterday for the most part, but the three weeks off the bike can kiss my ass. Good reason to be off the bike (had my second baby), but man its hard to get back into it after taking that time off.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
    Good rides today and yesterday for the most part, but the three weeks off the bike can kiss my ass. Good reason to be off the bike (had my second baby), but man its hard to get back into it after taking that time off.
    Takes 6 weeks to make a habit, and 6 weeks to break a habit....well except addictions etc.