Page 583 of 610 FirstFirst ... 83 483 533 573 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 593 ... LastLast
Results 14,551 to 14,575 of 15240
    local trails rider
    Uneventful...
    I didn't touch a bike for about 5 weeks. Spraining your knee isn't exactly fun. Now I've been doing my 30 minute commutes by bike for a week. The knee feels tight for a few minutes when I get going, but then it is almost normal. Not trails riding normal yet, though.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Not a bad ride today, but still adjusting to new saddle (or the saddle adjustments). Not exactly an @sshatchet but not as comfy as I'd like....yet. Went ahead and ordered the Giro shoes, new pair of Five Tens were same cost, so I flipped a coin and clicked 'buy'.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

I Ride for Donuts
    Howdy...long time no post. I've been back at the regular commute for a couple weeks, with some pretty significant changes...I made a little job swap, and I'm realizing how spoiled I was. Still teaching, but at a different site, so I'm faced with some of the problems I always scoffed at. I have no indoor bike parking, no place to store clothes, and a ton of stuff to carry. I've gone from having only a lunch and some underwear in my backpack to carrying a laptop, a full change of clothes, a thermos of coffee... this stuff is heavy! I actually thought about panniers (just for a second though)! I am on a mission to find a closet or something around here that I can claim...

The upside is that I've already planned my first mountain bike field trip, I get to come in later a couple days a week, and the stress level has plummeted.

Looking forward to establishing a new routine and catching up.

Summer was good...did a century, another 80 mile MTB charity ride, and I'm training my trail pooch. She's gonna be a champ:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR9BxrsApMw
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    YupYup! So, humor me, why not use a waterproof shoe/boot and/or covers and of course rain gear? Wouldn't that keep your feet dry? Only time mine get wet is when not using rain pants.
    Missed this one Jordy.

So...Ride clipless and only have a single pair of shoes that are not waterproof (eventually I will get some Lakes or something so I can ride clipless in the winter, but that's a ways away).

I've toyed with the idea of covers, but feel that the neoprenes are a better bet for me so that I can use them both summer in the rain and winter as an insulating layer under my boots to get a few extra degrees warmth out of them.

Rain gear is a constant battle for me! I sweat enough that I haven't yet found rain gear that keeps me dry from the rain and allows me to stay dry from the inside! Most times I just opt to get wet from the rain rather than even bother with rain gear, unless it is coming down like it did yesterday morning - then I do wear a rain coat and pants - more for the warmth than to stay dry. Again, I sweat quite a bit.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Missed this one Jordy.

So...Ride clipless and only have a single pair of shoes that are not waterproof (eventually I will get some Lakes or something so I can ride clipless in the winter, but that's a ways away).

I've toyed with the idea of covers, but feel that the neoprenes are a better bet for me so that I can use them both summer in the rain and winter as an insulating layer under my boots to get a few extra degrees warmth out of them.

Rain gear is a constant battle for me! I sweat enough that I haven't yet found rain gear that keeps me dry from the rain and allows me to stay dry from the inside! Most times I just opt to get wet from the rain rather than even bother with rain gear, unless it is coming down like it did yesterday morning - then I do wear a rain coat and pants - more for the warmth than to stay dry. Again, I sweat quite a bit.
    I've had the rain/sweat dilemma a few times. I honestly don't know which is better or worse. One will make me more wet, the other more stanky. It depends where I'm going. Usually more wet wins.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Howdy...long time no post. I've been back at the regular commute for a couple weeks, with some pretty significant changes...I made a little job swap, and I'm realizing how spoiled I was. Still teaching, but at a different site, so I'm faced with some of the problems I always scoffed at. I have no indoor bike parking, no place to store clothes, and a ton of stuff to carry. I've gone from having only a lunch and some underwear in my backpack to carrying a laptop, a full change of clothes, a thermos of coffee... this stuff is heavy! I actually thought about panniers (just for a second though)! I am on a mission to find a closet or something around here that I claim...

The upside is that I've already planned my first mountain bike field trip, I get to come in later a couple days a week, and the stress level has plummeted.

Looking forward to establishing a new routine and catching up.

Summer was good...did a century, another 80 mile MTB charity ride, and I'm training my trail pooch. She's gonna be a champ:

I usually have all kinds of stuff like that. Textbooks, food, change of clothes, notebooks, bike accessories. I find that a set of saddlebag panniers with a shoulder strap to carry it when off the bike is very handy and doesn't destroy my back. On the other hand, I feel like I'm faster with a pack on, but hate that sufficiently enough to prefer saddlebags.

I Ride for Donuts
    I have a long history of being a staunch supporter of nothing strapped to the bike. Backpack sweat back is always a thousand times better than having stuff strapped to the bike in my book. I just can't go there. 7 day trip? Bob trailer, nothing strapped to the bike I have a Surly Ogre with mounts everywhere for anything cages, etc...so far they remain unused.

But this is a new level of stuff that I have to carry. The solutions is obviously either A) bigger backapack or B) find a cupboard or closet that I can claim
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

NDD
    mtbr member
    I get that. Depending on how loaded up I am I can feel how it affects handling. That said, I don't have the RSVP on my MTB any more and I'm so stoked to ride more trails soon because it's feeling pretty spunky.

Moderator Moderator

Sprocket looks like a great trail dog already!

Congrats on the new job, there's gotta be a cubbyhole or file drawer around there somewhere!

I'd rather be on my bike
    I have a long history of being a staunch supporter of nothing strapped to the bike. Backpack sweat back is always a thousand times better than having stuff strapped to the bike in my book. I just can't go there. 7 day trip? Bob trailer, nothing strapped to the bike I have a Surly Ogre with mounts everywhere for anything cages, etc...so far they remain unused.

But this is a new level of stuff that I have to carry. The solutions is obviously either A) bigger backapack or B) find a cupboard or closet that I can claim
    I am the exact same way. I have a bottle cage on my fat bike, and I keep debating on whether it will stay or go. Panniers? No way in hell. My back is usually drenched from my messenger bag, and I like it that way.

Today's ride was well, slow. Took the fat bike on its first real ride. It is heavy. It rolls nicely, but it is slow. Need to leave with a bit more extra time to get to work as I cut it pretty close today. The cockpit is a bit cramped, and my riding position is almost upright. Hands went numb within 3 miles on the ride home. Not sure if the bars are too close or too far so I will need to get that ironed out. Forgot what it was like to ride a mountain bike style frame, and the bars really lack the different hand positions that my bullhorns have offered me. It isn't ideal, but the fattie might see a set of bullhorns if I can get the brakes and shifters to fit. Rides were almost twice as long, and given that the bike is twice as heavy, that makes some sense. Didn't coast much due to the fixed gear mentality that I have adopted. That is fine with me because I feel like it is cheating when you aren't pedaling.

Got a lot of looks and stares from pedestrians and some motorists. Lots of looks like uh, what the hell is that? I am right at home with that, and prefer it over blending in. Hardly any fatties around here that I have seen, at least on the road.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2476/2500

weirdo
    Perttime and CB, both
    Wow, five weeks must have been a pretty bad sprain, Perttime- glad you`re back on the bike.
    CB, I was wondering what happened. Even went so far as to Google up your county`s class schedule- not comforting.
    The solutions is obviously...
    ...Bob trailer, nothing strapped to the bike
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My commute over the last few days hasn't involved bikes but has been odd; multi modal is probably the best descriptor.
    Hotel 5:00am bus pickup
    Airport 6:30am Sikorski S76
    Offshore construction vessel 7:00am
    Crane and manriding basket 8:00am
    Offshore platform 8:05am
    And then the reverse from 4:30pm finishing in the hotel bar at 8:00 pm

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Howdy...long time no post.
    I was going to post something similar. I've been a stranger to this site for a while. Mine is related to too much work, not a summer off. Good luck finding your closest. I like my commutes unencumbered too. Sometimes I'll have 2 weeks of clothes here. Can't get those KOMs with 20lbs of laptops on your back.

We got a new dog just a few days ago too. A 6 month old pit-mix rescue puppy. I'll start grooming her for trail dog duty when she's a little older.
    Obligatory puppy pic:How was your commute today?-juniper.jpg

I'm signed up for 2 centuries and 1 60 mile ride in a 8 day span coming up here. 160 miles in 2 days will be a record for me.

The commute was good. We're in a stretch of perfect weather in the Northeast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just started raining before my commute home fudge I was not prepared

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    First five day commuting week in a while. Felt good.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post

We got a new dog just a few days ago too. A 6 month old pit-mix rescue puppy. I'll start grooming her for trail dog duty when she's a little older.
    Obligatory puppy pic:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Juniper.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	919351
    She is cute and she matches the carpet!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    uneventful, hammered anyways.
    our official livery for this year's tour, and the tandem I built so I can bring my buddy who's blind with me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-iantandem.jpg  

If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

I'd rather be on my bike
    No commute, just the longest ride I have done to history. 56 miles, all fixed gear with some pretty good friends. It was an absolute blast tonight with spirited sprints, slow rolling, Mexican food, pizza and friends. This is what life is about.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2476/2500

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Wow, five weeks must have been a pretty bad sprain, Perttime- glad you`re back on the bike.
    I suppose it takes a while to rebuild the tissues when a big joint gets twisted in a way it doesn't like to be twisted... Now I'm not sure if it is still the ligaments adjusting themselves that sometimes bothers me - or all the other things that got strained from a few weeks of limping. I did get it checked by a doctor and the verdict was that nothing was actually broken so that an operation would help: bandage, pain killers, and "Try not to do it again anytime soon".

I needed to drive a few times, soon after the "sprain", and moving my foot between accelerator and brake was painful...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    My commute was pretty good. Most of it was on mountain trails. However, I got some pretty strange looks being in dockers and dress shoes on the mountain. Maybe I should carry my work clothes/shoes in my backpack and change at a trailhead bathroom or something??

mtbr member
    They were just curious if your dress shoes were SPD or Speedplay.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Yesterday I was coming out of the town where I work and the safest way is to connect to the bike trail. It's pretty easy, but I was pulling up to the train tracks and there was a train stopped, blocking the intersection. It was pretty much holding up that whole side of town. I waited for about ten minutes thinking it had to go.

This guy working for the railroad asked if I knew which way it was headed before it stopped. I didn't, and asked him if he knew how to get to the bike trail. He was in his truck and said "yeah, follow me". Eventually we saw where the front of the train was blocking yet another intersection. He said to just walk around the front and then told me how to get there. I cut through the golf course and got on another trail two miles north of the one I needed. As I was approaching the place I would normally need to be I saw the train was still sitting there. All in all I was only about 30 later to home than normal. I think next time I'll just risk it and carry my bike between two train cars.

mtbr member
    ^^ In Illinois they can only block an intersection like that for 20 minutes or the engineer can be ticketed. They break the train up to allow traffic to pass. On a foggy morning to work in Ohio, I almost submarined under a black freight car with no reflectors at an unprotected crossing (no lights, or gates) when I was commuting in the pre-dawn hours. I saw farm yard lights suddenly eclipsed by nothing. I stooped the GTI about 2 feet from collision.

mtbr member
    Little frustrating last night. Get ready to leave and the middle LED on my MagicShine MJ-816 dies. The two side lights still work and were more than enough to light the way and allow me to be seen. Figure it's only a matter of time before the rest of the light head dies, so I ordered a cheap dual light off Amazon to tide me over til I buy a new Magicshine. Monsoon season is still here, and the rain has put tons of sand on the MUP I take to work. Wasn't a big deal on 2" tires of my MTB, but it's a total PITA for the 28's on the new ride.

Got passed on a uphill close to home by a guy on a Spec' MTB. Didn't care about being passed until I heard his squeaking chain. Don't have a rational reason for being upset, but it did irritate me to no end being passed, then dropped like a gold-digging girlfriend by a guy with a squeaky chain.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^^ In Illinois they can only block an intersection like that for 20 minutes or the engineer can be ticketed. They break the train up to allow traffic to pass. On a foggy morning to work in Ohio, I almost submarined under a black freight car with no reflectors at an unprotected crossing (no lights, or gates) when I was commuting in the pre-dawn hours. I saw farm yard lights suddenly eclipsed by nothing. I stooped the GTI about 2 feet from collision.
    Interesting. It makes sense, though, because that whole side of town was pretty much just cars driving around looking for the quickest way to get out and to the other side. It was just silly, and that it was just sitting there after I had ridden an extra four miles or whatever out of my way is just silly, too. I won't have to make that commute again until next week, because I have a wedding rehearsal to go to this Friday. I hope it doesn't happen again, but I'll probably just cut between the parked cars if it does.

I'm looking forward to this week. I'm thinking about riding my mountain bike a couple days this week. It really hasn't been getting the attention it needs. Maybe I'll squeeze in a trail ride, too...