Page 580 of 592 FirstFirst ... 80 480 530 570 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 590 ... LastLast
Results 14,476 to 14,500 of 14788
    FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Gotta watch out for those folks on the 'strange' bikes - cargo, fat, tall - they are sneaky b-tards and like to rip the doors off of anyone they can...
    Funny thing was, I was pretty toasted when he passed and even then, if he'd been on a road bike I would have tried to catch-up. When I got smoked by a cargo bike it was just a little too humbling to try and recover any sense of mastery of my surroundings. Caught him at a light and had a nice discussion about his commute, turns out the Big Dummy is his only bike. Wonder how fast he'd have been on a less girthy bike.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Funny thing was, I was pretty toasted when he passed and even then, if he'd been on a road bike I would have tried to catch-up. When I got smoked by a cargo bike it was just a little too humbling to try and recover any sense of mastery of my surroundings. Caught him at a light and had a nice discussion about his commute, turns out the Big Dummy is his only bike. Wonder how fast he'd have been on a less girthy bike.
    With the Pugsley as my only bike I often wonder how much faster I could be on something else - or even with a set of niner wheels for summer riding. For me the extra weight of the bike is actually something I want - makes me work harder in an effort to get the extra weight on my gut off...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nice ride in and nice ride home. Picking up speed on my peddle home as the temperatures here are starting to drop. Pretty much in the low 100s for good now. Morning 78-81F. My commute time increases in the summer from about 17-19 minutes home to about 31-33 minutes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    What a ride today! You can sure tell school is back in session. School buses everywhere. And lots of distracted drivers. On my way to work there was a huge mirror in the bike lane and an underbody panel too. Then on the way home I counted 5 texting drivers in the bike lane and 2 other drivers cut me off turning right.

The Irony of today's ride is epic. All year I have commuted at least 20 miles once during the month with 1400+ miles of commuting to date. In all types of weather and terrain, not one flat. On road/off road, gravel, dirt, streets and trails, not one flat. Swap tires for a century this weekend (WTB Puncture Resistant Slicks) and ride on all pavement and bam, thorn. On the plus side the spare tube was solid, on the minus side, my 10 year old CO2 filler apparently only had a 9 year lifespan.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Ride home in the rain made me love the time I spent adjusting my brakes this weekend: no squeal. Now if I could get the shifting to level of pleasantness I'll be happy.

Moderator Moderator
    haha, OK, Forster, what we really want to know is what tires you took off!

mtbr member
    Nice enough ride tonight, but a bit of a surprise when I got home:

No real damage - they hit the concrete ponywall that has the fire department connection. But drivers sure don't make it easy for me to have any faith in them.
    Last edited by newfangled; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:40 PM.

Moderator Moderator

Advice to One-off Less Experienced Riders, etc.

I have been asked a couple of times in the last week for advice on riding part of my route to drop off a car, or other one-off necessity. In the first case my advice about the roundabout, and watching out for turning/entering cars went well. The second request was regarding a sig- other who I don't know but reportedly dislikes traffic and hills. Hmmm. I recommended the flat but more trafficky route, on the theory that it is less unsafe than most imagine, but I don't really want to make her a-feared (or worse) either. Have you dealt with these types of inquiries, and how did it go?

Wow Newf, I don't get how they got there without doing more damage along the way!

I'd rather be on my bike
    I bet that Infiniti is totaled. Frame damage I would imagine, and more. Glad to see that it hit that wall instead of your building.

Severe storm warnings went up today right before I left to ride to work. I took the chance and hit the road, as the storm was still to the west, and moving east but moving quickly. Lets just say that my ride to work was rather quick. No messing around this time around because I really didn't want to be caught in the storm. I made it in with about a half hour window before the skies turned pitch black and opened up dumping a lot of rain rather quickly. Tornado watches were being announced, severe thunderstorm warnings remained in effect and I can see why. The storm was pretty wicked and I took a real chance by riding. Luckily I made it in before it happened. The weather was set to clear up by about 9pm, and the roads were pretty much dry when I left shortly after 11:30. Well, they were dry until it started raining again. First it was a few drops, then a steady rain, and then it opened up again. I stopped under a highway over pass to adjust my equipment and move my phone to inside my Chrome bag which is waterproof. Rain let up after a few minutes, so I headed back out. All was good for about a mile, and then it started raining fairly hard again. My rear fender!!! Yes, I have one of those, and it looks pretty cool on my bike. It also looks pretty cool leaning up against the wall in my apartment where I left it because I left in such a rush. Damn!!!

Completely soaked when I got home. It was fun on the MUP with all of the frogs hopping out of the way trying to avoid my tires. I felt like a kid, and I might have even been humming a little tune as I rode down the dark and wet path all alone. I might have.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1785/2500

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Wow Newf, I don't get how they got there without doing more damage along the way!
    Yeah, the route in is not obvious. I assume the plants just popped back up.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post

No real damage - they hit the concrete ponywall that has the fire department connection. But drivers sure don't make it easy for me to have any faith in them.
    Did you advise them to start biking?

NDD
    mtbr member
    So, yeah. The new semester is treating me well with good commuting. Just missed a storm tonight, as I was in my last class when the rain came through. Good enough for me! Actually saw two other people on the MUP with lights. Good lights, too. Usually when I see other people biking on the MUP at night they never have lights and are all swerving between lanes. Then they complain about my light... "getoverit!" that's what I think.

My bro and I commuted back home together last night. I learned yesterday that I have to taxidermy a mammal for my mammology course I'm taking... and I have to supply the specimen. We saw an opossum waddling through a tunnel on the MUP and since then every time we see a small mammal (usually an opossum, baby bunny, chipmunk, or groundhog) we have a running joke where we call it my specimen and race at it. I'm going to have to start commuting on the mountain bike again after all.

(I used to be a kinda guy, but I think with the goofy mood I've been in for the last month or so it's actually turned into , and I think that might be an improvement)

weirdo
    Surprise when you got home...
    that isn`t your house, is it? Wife`s car? Hope not!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Newf, I'm trying to figure out how that even happened? The plants/fence behind it don't look that disturbed. You'd have to be really drunk/asleep to drive that far off the road.

My commute this morning was fine, aside from one idiot who decided that he was going to share the lane with me, when I was very much aggressively taking the lane going around a winding corner on a road with no shoulder. That'll wake you up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I bet that Infiniti is totaled. Frame damage I would imagine, and more.
    I honestly can't tell how old it is, because those Inifiniti dunebuggies have barely changed in the last decade. If it's an older one, I could see it being done.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Yeah, the route in is not obvious. I assume the plants just popped back up.
    Even inperson it was tough to tell, and we spent awhile puzzling over it.

What happened was that they got onto the sidewalk offscreen to the right, weaved between two big old trees, hit a streetsign which tore up the right fender, got onto the paving stones infront of the building narrowly missing the black metal fence, took out one little plastic lightpost and some pavers, plowed through all the plants, smooshed two large concrete flower pots (which I think took most the impact) and then basically kissed the pony wall.

Hearing third-hand from some neighbors it sounds like the driver "panicked" whatever that means.

Boring ride in this morning with some light rain.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/12/06...s-insurer-says

Edmonton is trying to get better

mtbr member
    May 2006
    two flats in the saame spot yesterday had about a 4.5 km walk to work.

Took my 32 mins flat out, damn near late for a meeting.

Went back on the way home.

A snow fence angle iron has been bent over for years, sometimes I ride over it...

Anyway it finally broke of at the ground surface, exposing a very sharp and jagged edge....

I hit the stump full speed with front and back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Would have been a regular commute if it wasn't for a flat today. And of all the places the piece of metal went through. I couldn't believe it. Right through the patch I put on my tube. What are the chances of that happening. I'm so tired of flats. Gator skins are going to be installed this weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ride 6 miles to work everyday for the last month today was pleasantly surprised byy a couple of deer in the bike line was able to keep coasting past them safely.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I saw a cop riding his motorcycle down the MUP. C'mon, man. Can't even get him a bicycle?

Le Tour Detour

Started off good until the trail detour at mile 5 which concided with the rain starting (WTB Slicks are slick in the rain). Then my detour was detoured by an accident sending me into another detour further from my intended path. More rain and lightining as I neared work and the construction zone from hell. The finally have one side walk open to the base of the viaduct I cross, but the viaduct has no shoulder or sidewalk and is down to one reduced width lane in both directions due to a repaving project. Fortunately a motorist waved me in and followed me for the next 1/2 mile at 20 mph to prevent other drivers from trying to pass. Pretty funny scene, cars honking and flashing high beams at this guy following a drowning rat on a bike, his middle finger on proud display to the crowd in trail. Felt like I was in the national "Don't kill a commuter on your way to work day" Parade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    ... Fortunately a motorist waved me in and followed me for the next 1/2 mile at 20 mph to prevent other drivers from trying to pass. Pretty funny scene, cars honking and flashing high beams at this guy following a drowning rat on a bike, his middle finger on proud display to the crowd in trail. Felt like I was in the national "Don't kill a commuter on your way to work day" Parade.
    There are a few really great people out there. One person helping another can make a difference. I love the middle finger salute! It doesn't take an Einstein to figure out he was protecting the cyclist (you) and it would all be over shortly. So it they are that rude and stupid, then the finger is appropriate. Speed limits are the maximum allowed. One can drive slower legally and they can use the horn all they want.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Bummer on the double flat jeffscott, one at a time is bad enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by biker_soldier101 View Post
    ... I'm so tired of flats. Gator skins are going to be installed this weekend.
    I've never noticed a significant change in the frequency of flats from the ultra-guard-super-duper-iron clad - impervaguard - armadillo skin- whatever flat protected tires to the cheesy $12 Michelin Dynamics I've used. A thin piece of metal, a sharp piece of glass, a nice stout screw or a sharp broken off iron fence post will go through them all.

Nice detour story Foster. We've got some one-way roads around here lately. My wife reported not taking the lane and getting passed WAY too close, then taking the lane the next day and getting hollered at, you know the old standard "Get Off The Road" (very clever) Impatient A-holes are everywhere. Lots of recent reports of bike car conflict with my facebook friends too. Must be in the air.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Fog, so much fog!