Page 579 of 632 FirstFirst ... 79 479 529 569 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 589 629 ... LastLast
Results 14,451 to 14,475 of 15778
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by L4NE4 View Post
    Commutes have been great lately, legs feelin good and having great weather. Although this morning was a little chilly. What are you guys using for a light jacket (maybe light rain jacket)?
    If it's cool out (35 to 50F or so) I'll wear an I/O Bio merino jersy (sweater, really) I found at a thrift shop. It provides warmth and breathability. If it is lightly raining I'll still wear that. For heavier rains I have a Novara eVent rain jacket. I loath wearing that thing because it doesn't breath well at all and it seems to end up wetting out pretty easily - not sure if from the inside or out, though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by L4NE4 View Post
    Commutes have been great lately, legs feelin good and having great weather. Although this morning was a little chilly. What are you guys using for a light jacket (maybe light rain jacket)?
    I have a long sleeve thermal jersey from Nashbar that is a bit too big on me that I wear over my normal jersey on cool days. I don't usually use it until we get into the low 50s. Cooler than that I pop a fleece jacket over the top and I'm good to the low 30s.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    It's connected where the brakes are. Dunno what the rack is. I actually put the Blackburn rack I had on there and plan on giving that one to my girlfriend. She's been wanting one... Maybe I'll wait until Christmas .

Today was the first non recreational ride on it. Excellent handling when loaded with panniers. I greatly appreciate drop bars for hand positioning and better aerodynamic ability of riding positions. Wind ain't got nothing anymore. 17.3mph through a headwind today. I'll take it!
    Do you know what year yours is? I believe mine is a 1977 model. Wish mine was black, but the pink (formerly red) gets a lot of looks!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Do you know what year yours is? I believe mine is a 1977 model. Wish mine was black, but the pink (formerly red) gets a lot of looks!
    I think mine is 1977 too! That's how it specs out when I look at components and color scheme. Also for a few years in the 80's they made them from carbon steel, not chromoly. I think that's when they dropped the "12.2".

mtbr member
    Fairly uneventful ride. No hooks or bad passing. No bike computer, no pulse, no speed, no Strava! At my age, I make a new record every time I ride just by riding. Just ride and enjoy. Not stinking hot, Unusually cool weather.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Brought in the newly converted Karate Monkey from SS to XX1 all kitted out for a trip to Western Australia and the 700 mile Munda Biddi trail in mid September. The XX1 is ultimately destined for a different bike but thought I may as well use it for this trip which I bottled out of attempting SS.
    All appears to be working well smooth and precise shifting, was a little concerned about how it would like the Surley horizontal dropouts but that appears to have been unfounded. The 30/10 combo is a little low for paved cycle tracks but made for a casual, relaxed and altogether pleasant change, if somewhat slower, to my usual high stress free for all on the road bike at rush hour.
    I will give it a proper test on 15 to 20 miles of single track some of it steep this evening on the way home. As long as the promised lightening storm doesn't appear - in which case I will get the bus home and try again tomorrow.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Ride in was crap. Strong headwind most of the way in. Was making what I thought was decent time, but it wasn't. Had an issue with a pedestrian who crossed the street in the middle, not at a crossing, while looking down at his phone, not paying attention at all. I came fairly close to him as he passed, and yelled "they make crosswalks you know" as I buzzed by. Startled him, because he never saw me because he was ass deep in his phone. Not a half mile later, I yelled at the Coca Cola delivery guy, who parked his huge ass truck in the bike lane, and was unloading, street side, not sidewalk side. Screamed at him as I went by that it wasn't a parking spot. I felt like those two incidents put me in a bad mood. Got a call from a great friend when I got to work, which changed the day around. Ride home was fast. Cooler nights, less traffic right now, and an almost open road just lets me open it up.

New light set up is pretty ideal and will work for me I think. As I crossed the halfway point on the MUP - I ran into the guy that had crashed a few weeks back that I stopped to help. We rode the rest of the way using my lights instead of the LED flash on his cellphone. He was OK after the crash, just a contusion on his leg that put him off his feet for a day. He thanked me for stopping again as we parted ways at the end.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 3036/2500

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've been riding my singlespeed again now that my back is finally almost normal. The geared bike can be faster on the flats and downhills, but the singlespeed is faster overall. Speed going uphill is so much faster. (Plus, I had a nasty case of chain suck on the geared bike and haven't felt like digging the chain out yet.)

Weather this summer has been mostly pleasant. The hot days aren't as hot as usual and the humidity is manageable. We've even been able to turn of the AC in the house and open the windows for days on end, which is unusual in August.

Overall, my commutes have been uneventful, minus a few incidents. A couple weeks ago, a car took a left turn and swerved almost completely into my lane. I hit the brakes, and the driver finally started paying attention and swerved back over. It wasn't a terribly close call, but it got my blood flowing.

mtbr member
    Yep, it's definitely starting to get chillier in the mornings here too. So far I've gotten away with just arm warmers and a t-shirt, but this morning I threw on gloves over my bike gloves. Sigh. A reminder that fall will be here soon and my commuting season will end in a few short months. Otherwise my ride was just lovely.

As for jackets, I really love my Patagonia Wind Shield jacket. Not sure if they make that anymore. Patagonia is expensive, but luckily my sister-in-law gets me a hefty discount through her work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    Yep, it's definitely starting to get chillier in the mornings here too. So far I've gotten away with just arm warmers and a t-shirt, but this morning I threw on gloves over my bike gloves. Sigh. A reminder that fall will be here soon and my commuting season will end in a few short months. Otherwise my ride was just lovely.

As for jackets, I really love my Patagonia Wind Shield jacket. Not sure if they make that anymore. Patagonia is expensive, but luckily my sister-in-law gets me a hefty discount through her work.
    Patagonia makes good stuff, but like you said, expensive. I find that REI or EMS brand clothing are 90% as good for 70% the price. Plus you can get better discounts at the end of the season. Or Pearl Izumi, there seems to be better discounts on that than Patagonia, and you can get "Screaming Yellow" which makes you quite visible.

mtbr member
    Decent commute this AM. Dark and a bit chilly, but not raining...yet. I really find I'm not looking forward to the dark mornings before we get snow. I always feel like I need so many more lights then to be able to see and to be seen - but don't need them for the evening ride. Once it snows I am usually fine with just a single light up front - sometimes no light at all if the moon is full (but only on the MUP where I don't have to worry about cars.)

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Ride in was crap. Strong headwind most of the way in. Was making what I thought was decent time, but it wasn't. Had an issue with a pedestrian who crossed the street in the middle, not at a crossing, while looking down at his phone, not paying attention at all. I came fairly close to him as he passed, and yelled "they make crosswalks you know" as I buzzed by. Startled him, because he never saw me because he was ass deep in his phone.
    In looking forward to this whenever the bulk of students get back to campus next week. Everyone will be looking at their cell phones and not the road/mup. And they can't hear you because they have headphones in with music full blast.

I'm 22 and I feel like an old man now. Sometimes I might identify too closely with Hank Hill.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    In looking forward to this whenever the bulk of students get back to campus next week. Everyone will be looking at their cell phones and not the road/mup. And they can't hear you because they have headphones in with music full blast.

I'm 22 and I feel like an old man now. Sometimes I might identify too closely with Hank Hill.
    Our High Schools started this week and there's no safe place to ride.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Back to commuting after about a week and a half away from it. Camping trip, flat tire I was to lazy to fix that evening, etc., and suddenly over a week is gone. Felt if I drove in again today it'd be that much harder tomorrow. . .hot and muggy but I notice the sun isn't nearly as high in the sky as it was two months ago when I set out at 5:50 a.m. Looks like fall is quickly approaching.

mtbr member
    I sold my SS cross bike in the hopes of funding a fat bike. Was missing it this morning. Love my road bike, but stuff was a little damp from showers last night, so something stuck to my tire and punctured it. Its only my second flat of the year after like 2200 miles of riding so I guess thats not bad? (Third if you count a dried up stans incident, I don't because I never ended up putting in a tube on trail)

Chilly too, like 50 degrees when I started. Should make for a nice ride home if my tire stays inflated, I'm out of CO2
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

I'd rather be on my bike
    New record ride for me, not really a commute but my Friday night group ride. 52 miles. It was a crazy night lets just say that. Headed out with a small group of people including a guy on a Catrike low recumbent. Have never ridden with one of those before, but this guy was moving out. We cruised around, got some miles in, and then it happened. His chain broke. We were in the parking lot of a huge 24 hour store similar to Wal-Mart, but higher class. On a whim, we went in to check out their bike section, which is exactly like Wal-Mart. No. No way. THEY HAVE A FREAKING CHAIN TOOL!!! Unreal. $5 later and we are back at it in the parking lot trying to fix this chain. Get it fixed, he test rides it in the lot, and bam, it breaks again. So what do we do? Yank the chain, and tow him home. Now, here is where it gets interesting. It is already almost 1 am and the temps are dropping. We are about 8 miles or so from this guys house, and us you are wondering about? Yeah, we are all on fixed gear bikes. Guy has some 5050 rope in his bag, we concoct a make shift tow rope, and slowly make our way back. It was absolutely comical. We were cracking jokes and just having a blast. Had to take it kind of slow so nothing happened, but we made it. I am absolutely exhausted right now. Stretching out my legs as much as possible to make them stop throbbing.

New Shimano shoes were spectacular, as was the new Canari liner I picked up from REI. Luckily I packed a warmer top layer and wind proof gloves for after the sun went down. Currently mid 50's as I write this, and it was in the upper 50's when I got home.
    2014 miles - 3036/2500

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Our High Schools started this week and there's no safe place to ride.
    Yes. Ride and home before 3 PM or wait until 4:00 for most of them to get home. If cops parked in several places they could ticket stop sign and light running, and speeding like crazy.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Good ride in today. Riding around campus is as bad as I thought. A little worse since I anticipated people in cars having a better grasp on what they were doing, since driving here is 90% pedestrian dodging. Nope, no way. They're worse than pedestrians so far this year. Some guy in a mustang tried to take my right of way. I just kept going because it was a 25mph speed limit and we were both approaching the same stop sign. I didn't really slow him down, he just thought I would and decided to be a d*ck about it. Grumble.

mtbr member
    A nice ride this morning. Well, generally. Changed my chain yesterday and didn't test ride afterwards. Cassette is bad, too. Bummer. Ran and picked up a new one, so the ride'll be much better tomorrow.

Found a nice thrift shop find this weekend. A Performance Bike branded Illuninite jacket. An older style and not as breathable as I'd like, but I look like a vampire from Twilight when car lights hit me. Unfortunately, it is now complete dark at 4:30 in the AM when I leave so I am rocking full lights now along with my new reflective bling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Think I'm gonna run the lights again starting tomorrow. . .easy ride in and back. Made it up to Blue Diamond this weekend for the first trail ride since 4th of July. The rains have really battered the area washing out a lot of trail.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Weird ride today. Rode a different route and had to play bumper cars with some plastic barricade barrels. Don't know if it's 25 year-old criterium racing experience or the forgiving nature of the Fargo but I took a shot on the left hand and flew right then recovered. On the second half of a 31.5 mile (round trip) commute (about mile 25) a Big Dummy went whizzing by. Never been smoked by a cargo bike when I was doing 19 mph.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

weirdo
    CommuterBoy, you aren`t tardy coming back from that long weekend, are you?
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    Good ride in minus the a hole in the Crown Vic who was all over my rear wheel waiting at the light. I could feel the heat from the engine on my leg. I inched up, he inched up, I did it again, he did it again. I turned around finally and shot him a look. Was just worried that as the light turned green, and I started to go, he would be on my ass and throw some pressure my way. He got the hint I think and backed off and let me get into the bike lane after the intersection before whizzing by. Just shook my head and kept going.

Ride home was fairly uneventful minus the deer that startled me as I came around the bend in the neighborhood cut through that I have been neglecting. I ride by a co workers house, and she told me that she would ride but it would take her way too long to get home. We both left work at the exact same time, in fact I was right behind her. She said it takes about 15 minutes to get home. It took me 23 minutes to get to her house. That excuse is no longer valid.
    2014 miles - 3036/2500

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Weird ride today. Rode a different route and had to play bumper cars with some plastic barricade barrels. Don't know if it's 25 year-old criterium racing experience or the forgiving nature of the Fargo but I took a shot on the left hand and flew right then recovered. On the second half of a 31.5 mile (round trip) commute (about mile 25) a Big Dummy went whizzing by. Never been smoked by a cargo bike when I was doing 19 mph.
    Gotta watch out for those folks on the 'strange' bikes - cargo, fat, tall - they are sneaky b-tards and like to rip the doors off of anyone they can...

New cassette installed and all is good. I do feel a bit sheepish saying that I went from an 11-34 to 11-32 and it seems that everything is a bit off - Probably all in my head, but I feel like I'm working harder to go the same speed. It can't be that much different. More likely the issue is the legs being in recovery mode after a few tentative and brief exploratory runs over the weekend - thinking some other forms of exercise besides just cycling might do the body good.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I'm readjusting to riding with bags full of text books, clothes, notebooks, and food. Because of that my cookies have been slow. Yesterday morning I picked them up and I have been considerably shower since.

The real downside to having friction shifters is that I never feel like shifting so I have to find my good gear combo for riding with text books and everything. The good thing is that I'll never feel like shifting, so when I find my good gear I won't mess with it.