Page 576 of 593 FirstFirst ... 76 476 526 566 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 586 ... LastLast
Results 14,376 to 14,400 of 14817
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hot and humid ride home on the Monocog. Geared too low for commuting but the low gear might've worked to my advantage as I just took the ride home slow and easy. Commuter had a flat this morning. Almost drove in but figured having two extra bikes in the stable hardly justified a drive in. Will fix flat and lightly tune up commuter this weekend.

mtbr member
    Yesterday morning was cool and cloudy. Got caught in a few light, sprinkles. Nice ride. All pavement. Ride home started with a downpour and thunderstorm. Only lasted about 10-15 minutes. The sun came out when I hit the trail. All in all a fun commute. My PI jacket isn't ad waterproof as I thought. Any suggestions for breathable rain jackets?

I'd rather be on my bike
    42 miles last night, not on a commute, but with the local bike group. Dodged thunderstorms most of the day, and luckily, we ended up rain free. Not sure how that worked out, because when I left to get to campus to meet up, the sky was pitch black to the northeast. Thunder in the distance, and a few hits of lightning. We rode all over town, hitting a jazz festival and a kayak and canoe rental place. That was fun and all, but the ride that 4 of us took to get some white spray paint was better. There is a ghost bike near the hospital that I work at, and someone defaced it, painting part of it pink. We took care of that last night, and it was an honor. We had a foreign exchange student with us, on a brand new to him 1974 Schwinn road bike, and he was loving it. Kid busted it out like a boss, as he rode about 38 miles of the ride with us throughout the night.

No commute for me today as my legs are pretty shot after riding all week, and then the ride last night.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1896/2500

mtbr member
    Friday was my first commute in a week post crash (wheel sucking crack + inattention = me splayed out on the ground) and it was obvious my wrist was not healed as much as I thought. Between the crash damage and the humidity it ached all the way, not really enjoyable. But it did feel good to ride again.

mtbr member
    Few close calls on the way in this morning. Two right hooks then a lady backed out of her driveway in front of me, then she puts it in drive but is still angled towards her driveway because she sucks at backing her car up, so she starts to pull forward before turning the wheels left so the front right of her car sort of goes into the shoulder in front of me, not only that, she completely stops when her bumper is blocking the whole shoulder so she can wave goodbye to her child so I had to slow way down. Then she starts to accelerate really slow, so slow that I was able to pass her for a couple seconds. I looked over but she didn't see me. I just threw my hands up like "what the hell?" but I don't even think she saw. People are completely oblivious to others. Then I got to work and had all sort of issues with our servers to fix (the group I supervise is in charge of around 350 servers for the software company I work for). I took out my anger on a guy in the cafeteria. My bagel was toasting then he put his in and changed the speed (one of those conveyor belt toasters) which people do all the time and I think is rude, so I said "you know there's other people's food in there too" and changed it back. Let's hope the day improves.

NDD
    mtbr member
    In a strange turn of events, I didn't end up buying the Schwinn (guy never actually called, doesn't matter) but my buddy who works at the lbs called and said he'd sell me one of his personal bikes for a good deal. Now I have a cannondale synapse (it's actually a"femme" frame, but it fits me well). Today will be the first commute on it. I'll see how that goes.

Only beef, it's bright orange and every bike I've owned for the last eight years has been gray.

weirdo
    Steady drizzle falling since some time last night. I`ll take it.

Just dragged in my BOB and loaded it up with cardboard and junk mail to recycle at work, then noticed one of the spring clips that hitch it to the axle has mysteriously disappeared. I`ll have to order a new one, but in the mean time, I found a diaper pin to stand in. Diaper pin! man, what are the chances ?!?

Yesterday I rode my folder into town to retrieve Mrs Rodar`s car from my mom`s house. For a few seconds there, I thought I was in somebody else`s ride- car frantically beep-beep-beep-beeping at me and the driver pointing at a silly potholed bike path that runs for a couple blocks on the salmon side of the street. Made me smile, so I waved. That short run (1.5 hrs including a donut stop) was my first ride of 2014 other than commuting. Puts my work ride : fun ride ratio firmly at 748:14. Woodway, you got that beat, dontcha?

Quote Originally Posted by Spatialized View Post
    Friday was my first commute in a week post crash (wheel sucking crack + inattention = me splayed out on the ground) and it was obvious my wrist was not healed as much as I thought.
    Ouch. Don`t do that!
    Recalculating....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    That short run (1.5 hrs including a donut stop) was my first ride of 2014 other than commuting. Puts my work ride : fun ride ratio firmly at 748:14. Woodway, you got that beat, dontcha?
    Rodar, I'm missing your touring reports/photos. Come on man, get with it

My Work Ride:Fun Ride ratio for 2014 is 3157:1345. Here is a snap of the latest fun:

Tigers love pepper...
    It is raining about as hard as I've ever seen right now....... might wimp out and take my truck home tonight if it doesn't clear up!

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND JUNCTION HAS ISSUED A URBAN AND SMALL STREAM FLOOD ADVISORY FOR... NORTHWESTERN MESA COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL COLORADO... UNTIL 500 PM MDT

* AT 203 PM MDT... DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED HEAVY RAIN DUE TO THUNDERSTORMS. THIS WILL CAUSE URBAN AND SMALL STREAM FLOODING IN THE ADVISORY AREA.

EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAINFALL WILL CAUSE PONDING OF WATER IN URBAN AREAS... HIGHWAYS... STREETS AND UNDERPASSES AS WELL AS OTHER POOR DRAINAGE AREAS AND LOW LYING SPOTS. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TRAVEL ACROSS FLOODED ROADS. FIND ALTERNATE ROUTES. IT TAKES ONLY A FEW INCHES OF SWIFTLY FLOWING WATER TO CARRY VEHICLES AWAY.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    It is raining about as hard as I've ever seen right now....... might wimp out and take my truck home tonight if it doesn't clear
    Cleared up enough to ride home! I got plenty wet, but didn't get rained on.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Cleared up enough to ride home! I got plenty wet, but didn't get rained on.
    Aw c'mon. Storms are the best!

mtbr member
    Yesterday I rolled a stop sign at about 4-5mph from one side street to another. There was a lady in an SUV a few hundred feet back moving really slow. A few second later I hear her beep from pretty far away then a minute later she pulls up next to me, rolls down her window and says "You didn't even look" then rolls up her window and speeds away. She then proceeds to stop about 10' past the stop line at the next light and turn left with no turn signal. Double standards are a wonderful thing.

After that I lucked out, there were isolated thunderstorms all around me and I only got rained on for maybe 5 minutes at the most. This morning's ride in was nice, weather was just about perfect.

Tigers love pepper...
    Had another thunderstorm last night/this AM. Didn't get rained on though. Was a nice cool wet morning , felt like fall. I can't wait for fall!

Mental note, look into fenders and a breathable rain jacket!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Yesterday I rode my folder into town to retrieve Mrs Rodar`s car from my mom`s house. For a few seconds there, I thought I was in somebody else`s ride- car frantically beep-beep-beep-beeping at me and the driver pointing at a silly potholed bike path that runs for a couple blocks on the salmon side of the street. Made me smile, so I waved. That short run (1.5 hrs including a donut stop) was my first ride of 2014 other than commuting. Puts my work ride : fun ride ratio firmly at 748:14.
    What gets into people?!?

Sorry your fun ratio has been hit so hard.

Moderator Moderator
    Good rides today, a coworker thought I was "crazy" to ride home, but it only rained hard for the last mile or so, and instead of thunder and lightning, there was a rainbow.

Lots of wildlife by my house lately, a bear took down 3 bird feeders Saturday night, removing every metal perch from the tube feeder and leaving some bite holes in the plastic. Then yesterday morning a brown blur ran away from my dog on the trail and then up a tree. It posed there eyeing me curiously, and I was able to see it was a fisher cat, which I have never seen before. They're in the weasel family and known as the only porcupine predator, and also for eating housecats, even though they are only housecat size themselves. Ten minutes later, we saw a doe and fawn.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Great day for a commute, so I did. Decent on the way in, longer ride on the way home. Took the longer way home, and did some exploring. The route is something I have driven before, but never ridden, so I went that way. All out of the way, but still nice. Almost halfway to my goal for the year, and it will be a struggle to reach it I think.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1896/2500

mtbr member
    Got rained on a little bit on my way in, not too bad though. Then I got to work and had forgotten my breakfast, but that was okay, because it was chocolate chip pancake day in the cafeteria, which is my favorite breakfast!

mtbr member
    It took some work to get them on, but I tried out some origin8 "space bars" I saw laying around EMS - feel pretty good, though I think I may swap on some non-ergon grips when I get home. Mostly just like the width (I had an old school 540mm bar on there before) but the sweep is nice too. Been riding through the state park a lot lately, adds some good scenery and a couple miles.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I tried out some origin8 "space bars" I saw laying around EMS - feel pretty good, though I think I may swap on some non-ergon grips when I get home.
    Not sure how you've got it setup, but it's worth playing around with the angle a bit. I've run my sweepy alt-bars level, angled up, angled down a bit, and angled down a lot. It completely changes the feel. For my Mary bar (which I think is pretty close to the spacebar) I tend to angle it down about 20deg. But it depends on stem length and height too. You can also flip it for a completely different feel. There's plenty of options is what I'm saying.

As for the commute, it's too humid here. 80% is not right for the prairies.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    I really like the performance and speed I get from Conti Gatorskins, but Specialized Armadillos aren't too shabby either.

This morning was a blast. Put the hammer down and set a few new PR's, and felt the burn. Unfortunately (but fortunately) I put in a 13 hour, extremely physical day, so the wifey picked me up. It would have taken over an hour to make it back home. We'll see if I can roll out of bed on time to make it to work. 0430 comes awful early...
    Thanks man. I have heard of the gatorskins more than once. Went for a ride Sunday and had another flat. Front tire this time. I try to avoid debris too. Fustrating. Anybody seen these?.... WTB Freedom ThickSlick Deluxe Sport Tire - Performance Sales Exclusions

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biker_soldier101 View Post
    Thanks man. I have heard of the gatorskins more than once. Went for a ride Sunday and had another flat. Front tire this time. I try to avoid debris too. Fustrating. Anybody seen these?.... WTB Freedom ThickSlick Deluxe Sport Tire - Performance Sales Exclusions
    Just looked at the specs, those are pretty heavy. Most WTB tires are. They seem to get good reviews though, and much cheaper than Gatorskins. I have been running Gatorskins on my commuter and road bike for a combined 6000 miles and only had 2 flats.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Rodar, I'm missing your touring reports/photos. Come on man, get with it

My Work Ride:Fun Ride ratio for 2014 is 3157:1345. Here is a snap of the latest fun:

That does look fun. I'm not Rodar but here's a few pics from my latest ride. The mountains aren't quite as tall as that big one in your picture.
    The Candid Cyclist: A Mountain, A Ledge and a Notch

I just ordered up some Gatorskin 28Cs for me and the misses for the cross bikes.

Commutes have been good dodging thunderstorms and working late. The lights have come out early in the season.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Cool trip, you went up the Maine side of Hurricane? I have only done the NH side to take the trails back down. For others unfamiliar, when you drive that road over Hurricane you say "how the heck did they put blacktop on something this steep and winding?"

Say it ain't so on needing the lights already for the ride home from work!

mtbr member
    Wrist is healed (basically) but the mind has doubts (and worries and other issues clogging up the works) and riding just wasn't fun, it was work. So I drove. When the mind's not in the game it's just not worth it to mount up. It's even a bit dangerous as I found out. Be back at it soon enough.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    That does look fun. I'm not Rodar but here's a few pics from my latest ride. The mountains aren't quite as tall as that big one in your picture.
    The Candid Cyclist: A Mountain, A Ledge and a Notch
    Nice report bedwards!

That big on in the picture is Mt. Rainier: Mount Rainier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia