Page 573 of 620 FirstFirst ... 73 473 523 563 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 583 ... LastLast
Results 14,301 to 14,325 of 15490
  1. #14301
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Straz85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    If you're actually having problems, I would totally recommend getting a foam roller. They're incredibly painful, but so good for tired legs. (they should probably be used in addition to stretching, but I tend to use mine instead of stretching.)

    And there are a million possible causes of knee pain, but I always like to point people to Sheldon Brown:



    I get knee pain sometimes, and when that happens I deliberately brush my knees on the toptube with each pedal stroke (to counter my natural tendency to flail outward), and that makes it better. It might not help you, but it's worth trying.

    Nice ride in on the fixie this morning. I've got tomorrow off, but the weather all weekend is supposed to be kindof crummy.

    I think I must have bruised/cracked a rib two weekends ago. Had a minor fall, and a bunch of miscellaneous aches and scrapes. Now all of the scabs have healed and the bruises are gone, but my chest still hurts as much as it did two weeks ago. It's nothing intense, and is mostly just annoying. The internet tells me there's nothing to do but wait.
    I love my foam roller. I started using it per the recommendation of my physical therapist. I have had some leg issues due to my particularly muscular legs that aren't at all flexible. I have IT band syndrome and it's a huge help for that. It does hurt a lot the first few times, but once the knots work themselves out, it's far less uncomfortable (I was going to say "far more comfortable" but I couldn't bring myself to say "comfortable" in the same sentence as "foam roller"). Sort of like getting a deep tissue massage, the first few times are incredibly painful.

  2. #14302
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AlexCuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    If you're actually having problems, I would totally recommend getting a foam roller. They're incredibly painful, but so good for tired legs. (they should probably be used in addition to stretching, but I tend to use mine instead of stretching.)

    And there are a million possible causes of knee pain, but I always like to point people to Sheldon Brown:



    I get knee pain sometimes, and when that happens I deliberately brush my knees on the toptube with each pedal stroke (to counter my natural tendency to flail outward), and that makes it better. It might not help you, but it's worth trying.

    Nice ride in on the fixie this morning. I've got tomorrow off, but the weather all weekend is supposed to be kindof crummy.

    I think I must have bruised/cracked a rib two weekends ago. Had a minor fall, and a bunch of miscellaneous aches and scrapes. Now all of the scabs have healed and the bruises are gone, but my chest still hurts as much as it did two weeks ago. It's nothing intense, and is mostly just annoying. The internet tells me there's nothing to do but wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    I don't know what any stretches are called. Just any and all leg stretches. Definitely get quads, hamstrings, and calves. I need to keep working at it. I'm incredibly not limber. I have never been able to touch my toes. Everyone else I know that's not over forty can... Just about anyway. So yeah, any stretches, do them slow.
    Thanks I'll check out the foam rollers. I tend to notice the pain coming up more when I use a bike with flat pedals so it could be my knees drifting out for sure, like you mention. I will try to focus on keeping my knees straight on the way home. And stretch a little bit too!
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

  3. #14303
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,316
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post


    Any particular stretches you'd recommend - if I ride too many days in a row I start to get some slight knee pain that makes me worry (usually notice it right after riding).

    Every morning I do

    Cat and Cow stretch

    Side bend

    Lat stretch

    Back lunge...and stretch the quad.

    Calf stretch straight and bent knee (Gas and Sol)

    Arm Swings back and front, arms behind the back and Reverse prayer pose.

    I also do hip machine three times a week

    https://www.google.com/search?q=Hip+...ml%3B200%3B277

    You get a good foam Roll off of that.

    For cramps get a Ph Balancer and check your urine Ph certainly really acidic...need hydration and some ions. Ultimate pH Balance

    People who exercise alot tend to build Lactic acid that causes a drop in urine ph...you will never get to the 7.0 or 7.2 but you can improve it and this helps with cramps.

  4. #14304
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,737
    It poured on the way home, but luckily I left after the lightning excitement. The server got fried at the office where I park, and the pumps and cash register got toasted while my friend was at the gas station.

  5. #14305
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WiTrailRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    152
    I feel you on the dead legs, Straz. I've been easing my post-surgery body back into running lately and combine that with bike commuting and I'm tired. I really just wanted to stay in bed this morning, but alas, I dragged myself out before 6am.

    Easy ride in this morning, nice weather. I saw a dude going for a run in jeans on MUP. Huh. I never understand that one.

  6. #14306
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blockphi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    857
    Good commute in today. Nothing to report. Mozzies are bad in the mornings. Maybe the loss of blood makes the ride seem better than it really is? Don't know. Tomorrow is an off day, so I'll be dipnetting some sockeye if things go well and won't be riding the bike. If things go really well, I'll get the dipping done and then ride the bike.

  7. #14307
    mtbr member
    Reputation: L4NE4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    690
    Commute in was great, legs felt great, I might actually need a bigger gear.

    Random picture from commute...

    How was your commute today?-troll.jpg
    "Never mistake motion for action."

    "If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

  8. #14308
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AlexCuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Every morning I do

    Cat and Cow stretch

    Side bend

    Lat stretch

    Back lunge...and stretch the quad.

    Calf stretch straight and bent knee (Gas and Sol)

    Arm Swings back and front, arms behind the back and Reverse prayer pose.
    Thanks will try this out - did just a minimal amount of leg stretching before I took off after work and its amazing how much livelier my legs felt. On one stretch I wasn't much slower than I was on my road bike a week or two ago, despite being on a relative tank of a bike. Well I guess my road bike is a relative tank of a bike too
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

  9. #14309
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    297
    Sorry to hear about coworker. . .that sort of stuff never stops being shocking.

    Ride to work resulted in a half mile walk. Heard a clicking from the back tire. Jumped off bike to check it out and heard air whizzing out. . .about two miles from work at this point. Immediately jumped back on the bike and peddled like crazy. Covered about two miles before completely flattening out. Even stood up to get the last quarter mile.

  10. #14310
    NDD
    NDD is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    408
    I really focused on minimizing lateral movement in the legs. Amazing how much less effort you'll actually use and end up going faster. Pedaling technique has been a slow process for me.

    I need to figure out how to tighten up my pedals where the cleat how in, I think. I noticed my feet wiggle in them a lot. I feel like that takes away from efficient pedaling.

  11. #14311
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,514
    Normal commute for me today, ride in and home felt slow although it took me the normal time to get there. Was the warmest 71F day I have ever ridden in on. I was drenched when I got to work. Running into a problem, and I am sure that others here may have the same issue. The straps of my helmet are rubbing my freshly shaven face, giving me some redness and burning. I always run the helmet straps fairly tight, but I may have to loosen them a bit, or stop shaving before work. I am starting to get ingrown hairs and bumps on the right side of my jawline, which I am assuming is from the strap constantly rubbing and touching my face. I have two helmets, and have been switching them out to prevent the straps from getting gross, but it may be time to invest in a new helmet or find a remedy for the straps.

    I managed to get Friday off and now have a 3 day weekend, so no commute, I am however going to ride with the local group again and explore the city, so I will get my miles in.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2746/2500

  12. #14312
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: mtbxplorer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,737
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    I need to figure out how to tighten up my pedals where the cleat how in, I think. I noticed my feet wiggle in them a lot. I feel like that takes away from efficient pedaling.
    Also check if the cleat is still snugly attached to the shoe. Most pedals have an adjustment for release tension (how hard it is to get out), but this should not make it wiggly, even when set on "loose". Others also have an float adjustment, controlling how much you can angle your foot around and giving your knees more "freedom"; this might feel like more wiggle. Some brands have you reverse the left and right cleats for different release angles. Worn out cleats can also feel wiggly. See if you can track down the pedal instructions online if you don't have a paper copy.

  13. #14313
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,907
    Freaking awesome. Started the ride at 55 degrees F. Didn't expect to use arm warmers in July....what a gorgeous ride into work. Best part is that it's a half day for a company opicnic back at North Park.

    http://www.strava.com/activities/170677596
    How was your commute today?-2014-07-25_0931.png
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

  14. #14314
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    76
    It was a cool morning for July, but I'm not complaining. Perfect cycling weather. I ran out of clean lycra shorts/jerseys so I rode in my baggies this morning. Felt like I was pulling an open parachute. Must have been mostly in my head though, as my average speed was pretty comparable to normal.

  15. #14315
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Texan-n-Fla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    644

    How was your commute today?

    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Normal commute for me today, ride in and home felt slow although it took me the normal time to get there. Was the warmest 71F day I have ever ridden in on. I was drenched when I got to work. Running into a problem, and I am sure that others here may have the same issue. The straps of my helmet are rubbing my freshly shaven face, giving me some redness and burning. I always run the helmet straps fairly tight, but I may have to loosen them a bit, or stop shaving before work. I am starting to get ingrown hairs and bumps on the right side of my jawline, which I am assuming is from the strap constantly rubbing and touching my face. I have two helmets, and have been switching them out to prevent the straps from getting gross, but it may be time to invest in a new helmet or find a remedy for the straps.

    I managed to get Friday off and now have a 3 day weekend, so no commute, I am however going to ride with the local group again and explore the city, so I will get my miles in.
    I shave at night, and find that it doesn't make much of a difference. Since your body doesn't really grow hair during sleep, it really is negligible, but it's enough to prevent that. I also find that coconut oil with shea butter makes a great aftershave and provides enough protection for the strap to glide.

    Whether I shave at night or in the morning, I still look like I have a 5 o'clock shadow, so you might want to give it a shot.

    No ride yesterday or today. Still recovering from my wipe out on Wednesday afternoon. I'll be back at it tomorrow. A buddy and head mechanic at the LBS is doing a coast to coast Florida ride tomorrow morning, and I'm SAG/med support, along with another mechanic. We've got five riders so far. But, since I have to be at the shop at 0430, I'm riding, so the wife and kids can get plenty of rest.

  16. #14316
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,316
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    I really focused on minimizing lateral movement in the legs. Amazing how much less effort you'll actually use and end up going faster. Pedaling technique has been a slow process for me.

    I need to figure out how to tighten up my pedals where the cleat how in, I think. I noticed my feet wiggle in them a lot. I feel like that takes away from efficient pedaling.
    This flies in the face of a lot of issues you don't want to bring to the table.

    First float is there to allow for proper knee movement, take out the float blow out your knees.

    Second the cleats help your foot stay where it should be on the pedal, but they are just intended to be a guide, for your pedal stroke.

    Thirdly cleats allow for a much smoother pedal circle (not just stroke)...without a lot of "ankling" that a flat would.

    You can think of the pedal circle in many ways...

    people use a four count, down..wipe you foot...flash your knee up to your chest...kick forward.

    I like a three count down...wipe your foot....flash your knee up.

    When done well a FS bike sith out lockout can be ridden with no perciptable pedal bob.

    I tighten my cleats only when I start to pull out of them on the up stroke.

    Lastly on adjustment that is often forgotten is whether the cleat how far forward the cleat is on the shoe...

    To far forward and you have to use too much calf to prevent "ankling"

    To far back and your toe might interfere with the front wheel on turns..

    I ride as far back as possible.

    This brings up another issue pedal length...most bikes will come with a 170 to 175 mm length...

    If you are around 5 11 or up a 175mm should feel a little better than a 170...no firm rule of thumb here....

    My point is if you go from a 170 to 175 you will use more range of motion in the knee
    This can cause knee pain for a week or two til you get used to it.

    Be very careful with pedals, cleats and seat postions.

  17. #14317
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,383
    I live in the desert..... we get 9 inches of rain per year. It is absolutely pouring out!!! But it's Friday and I take my truck home on Fridays so I'm gonna be nice and dry!

    I've been driving it in on Mondays leaving it at office all week in case I need a vehicle and there isn't a company one available.

  18. #14318
    NDD
    NDD is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    This flies in the face of a lot of issues you don't want to bring to the table.

    First float is there to allow for proper knee movement, take out the float blow out your knees.

    Second the cleats help your foot stay where it should be on the pedal, but they are just intended to be a guide, for your pedal stroke.

    Thirdly cleats allow for a much smoother pedal circle (not just stroke)...without a lot of "ankling" that a flat would.

    You can think of the pedal circle in many ways...

    people use a four count, down..wipe you foot...flash your knee up to your chest...kick forward.

    I like a three count down...wipe your foot....flash your knee up.

    When done well a FS bike sith out lockout can be ridden with no perciptable pedal bob.

    I tighten my cleats only when I start to pull out of them on the up stroke.

    Lastly on adjustment that is often forgotten is whether the cleat how far forward the cleat is on the shoe...

    To far forward and you have to use too much calf to prevent "ankling"

    To far back and your toe might interfere with the front wheel on turns..

    I ride as far back as possible.

    This brings up another issue pedal length...most bikes will come with a 170 to 175 mm length...

    If you are around 5 11 or up a 175mm should feel a little better than a 170...no firm rule of thumb here....

    My point is if you go from a 170 to 175 you will use more range of motion in the knee
    This can cause knee pain for a week or two til you get used to it.

    Be very careful with pedals, cleats and seat postions.
    That is quite the can of worms...

  19. #14319
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,514
    Not quite a commute, but one hell of a ride. Met up with the local bike group that meets on Friday nights. Did this for the first time last week and had a nice ride. Same tonight, but a much faster pace, and nowhere near the amount of stops. Found some really cool places that I never knew existed here in the city, and had an absolute blast. Met a few new people, ate some delicious food. Oh, and clocked 50.07 miles. All fixed gear. That is officially my longest single ride ever. It was split up a bit by a dinner stop, but the total miles is what counts for me. I am just spent. Wrists hurt, ass hurts, and my legs are like jelly. Rode the bike in my sig, with that gearing, and even put the Aerospoke on the front to show one of the guys in the group. That wheel weighs a ton in comparison to the stock front wheel. I am really happy with my light setup, and it lasted the whole ride because of my smart battery conservation. I received a few compliments from fellow riders along with some questions about the brands and of course, the cost.

    This is the view from one of our stops at a park with a garden and a view that I didn't know we had in the city.

    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2746/2500

  20. #14320
    FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Reputation: Forster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,280
    10Spd, I did the same thing today. Cranked out 30 miles and lunch at a little bar. About half way through the first leg we had a guy break the chain on his mid-80's road bike (never heard of the brand and can't remember it not) but the chain hadn't seen any lube for a while and both outer plates popped off the pin. I pulled the bent link out and reassembled the chain. At the parking lot after he tells me he's going to keep riding until the chain fails a few more times. Really, it's nearly 30 years old, buy a chain.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

  21. #14321
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    82
    Last 2 commutes were in pouring rain, roads full of huge puddles. Got my new ride all dirty.

  22. #14322
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    10Spd, I did the same thing today. Cranked out 30 miles and lunch at a little bar. About half way through the first leg we had a guy break the chain on his mid-80's road bike (never heard of the brand and can't remember it not) but the chain hadn't seen any lube for a while and both outer plates popped off the pin. I pulled the bent link out and reassembled the chain. At the parking lot after he tells me he's going to keep riding until the chain fails a few more times. Really, it's nearly 30 years old, buy a chain.
    *** He may make intimate contact with his top tube pounding up a hill. That will make a new chain seem cheap.

  23. #14323
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newfangled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,311
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Oh, and clocked 50.07 miles. All fixed gear. That is officially my longest single ride ever.
    So by the end, how much leg-braking were you doing? I just did 45mi on my fixie a couple of weeks ago, and for at least the last half hour everytime I got to a downhill I'd maybe think about braking for a pedalstroke or two, but then I'd give up and go for the lever.

  24. #14324
    FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Reputation: Forster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,280
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    *** He may make intimate contact with his top tube pounding up a hill. That will make a new chain seem cheap.
    Agreed, an ounce of prevention is always cheaper in the long run than a pound of cure.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

  25. #14325
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Texan-n-Fla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    644

    How was your commute today?

    No commute this morning, since I had to borrow the truck from the in laws to pick up a bunch of portable ac units, since our central unit went out and won't be replaced until the end of the week. I'll be dropping it off when I leave work, pedaling to the LBS, and doing our Monday night 15 mile ride. Not too fast, it's more for people just getting into the sport. How to ride with a group, hand signals, so on and so forth. I teach a 10 minute thing on first aid and what to do in the event of an emergency on the bike. Fun stuff.

    This weekend, I crewed 6 guys who biked Florida Coast to Coast, just shy of 300 miles. It was an incredible experience and an honor. Learned a ton, too. Two RAAM finishers, as well as the first guy to finish RAAM after having quadruple bypass open heart surgery from a congenital defect. Held a steady 24 for the first 150, and 19.5 for the last half. Insane.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •