Page 572 of 621 FirstFirst ... 72 472 522 562 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 582 ... LastLast
Results 14,276 to 14,300 of 15518
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    How often do you check your tire pressure usually?
    Usually check it every week or two. I can usually tell when tires are getting low by feel on street. Just didn't feel low this time so I never checked them. Surprised by 40 PSI though.

Good commute today. Pleasant in the morning and way too hot in the afternoon. Supposed to be around 112-116 tomorrow. That should be a fun ride home.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vegascruiser View Post
    Usually check it every week or two. I can usually tell when tires are getting low by feel on street. Just didn't feel low this time so I never checked them. Surprised by 40 PSI though.

Good commute today. Pleasant in the morning and way too hot in the afternoon. Supposed to be around 112-116 tomorrow. That should be a fun ride home.
    Dang, I have to full my front tire up every day. It's been that way since I got the tube. Probably a pinhole leak. Still functional I guess.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Very fluid commute today. Covered 5 miles of gravel, 4.5 miles of rails-to-trails and 8 miles of paved trail/street in 1:15. The split between the cyclecomputer (pauses when the bike stops) and stop watch on my HRM was less than a minute. Must have been fired up after watching Greg Lemond on 30 fo 30 last night. Kind of sad to seem him in a backbrace and unable to ride due to the lead he still carries from his turkey hunting accident. Odd how that works, I started my serious cycling training in a backbrace after a car accident and was really inspired by his early successes in professional cycling.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    As has been the case most days lately, I added quite a bit of extra mileage. Around 8 extra this morning. Beautiful weather, my legs were pretty tired though.

Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dang, I have to full my front tire up every day. It's been that way since I got the tube. Probably a pinhole leak. Still functional I guess.
    I find that some tubes hold air better than others, even the same brand. My theory is that the presta valves don't all screw down as tight as they should. My previous tube was great, it would go 2 weeks without needing air. I got a nail in it a few weeks ago and I need to add air to the brand new tube, same brand, every 2-3 days.
    Last edited by Straz85; 07-23-2014 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Good commute in this AM. My route, due to detour is a bit longer now and there's a nice hill to climb both ways, but it's nice having a slight change of scenery.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Twig took out the RD on last nights mountain ride. Nothing left of the RD or RD hanger.

Chain climbed up a sprocket on the way out and I think took out the chain ring bolts. one or two anyway.

Gonna need a RD hanger, to fix it up, should have the rest of the parts kiciking around.

First time since 2005 the bike has not been available for a commute after a mountain ride..

I dug out the 1990 Norco Bush Pilot, rigid seven speed with BiopPace gearing...Pumped up the tires, put my cleats on...and off to work.

Commuted with that bike from 1990 to 1994, can't really remember anyway.

Still a nice bike.

Knobby tires suck up more energy than a Full Suspension.

Tigers love pepper...
    Commuted on my Salsa Spearfish this AM. Planning to ride after work tonight (ride to trailhead, ride home). On my commute, I was only about a minute slower over 4 miles than my 10 speed..... and that's with full sus & knobbies. Supposed to be 98 today though, we'll see how motivated I am come 4:30.

Again considering turning my rigid SS into a commuter, but it will cost me at least $250 to put gears back on it. Just not sure drop bars and a heavy old steel 10speed is right for me and I'm concerned about winter already. My commute will also get longer early next year (from 4 to about 6.5 miles). Hate to change the SS back to geared but it would be a great commuter. It's a 2008 On One Scandal 29er with carbon front fork, throw on some big apples, change back to ergons with the bar ends...... might be a sweet ride. It would be lighter than my 1977 Schwinn!

NDD
    mtbr member
    I wore my rain jacket. Then the sun came out, humidity crept up. So I took it off. Then it started raining. Put it back on. Stopped about seven minutes later and the sun comes out again. Just left it on. Got so soaked in sweat before work...

I also started stretching before commutes or any riding. I kinda realize now that neglecting to do so was a great disservice to myself. My knees don't hurt when I'm going really hard anymore.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    My theory is that the presta valves don't all screw down as tight as they should.
    The screwing down doesn't do anything in that regard. Prestas are held closed by air pressure.
    All tubes leak. Rubber is porous. Inconsistencies in the rubber make some leak more than others.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Just not sure drop bars and a heavy old steel 10speed is right for me and I'm concerned about winter already.
    I am right for everyone.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2746/2500

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I wore my rain jacket. Then the sun came out, humidity crept up. So I took it off. Then it started raining. Put it back on. Stopped about seven minutes later and the sun comes out again. Just left it on. Got so soaked in sweat before work...

I also started stretching before commutes or any riding. I kinda realize now that neglecting to do so was a great disservice to myself. My knees don't hurt when I'm going really hard anymore.
    Do some stretches afterward too.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Very fluid commute today. Covered 5 miles of gravel, 4.5 miles of rails-to-trails and 8 miles of paved trail/street in 1:15. The split between the cyclecomputer (pauses when the bike stops) and stop watch on my HRM was less than a minute. Must have been fired up after watching Greg Lemond on 30 fo 30 last night. Kind of sad to seem him in a backbrace and unable to ride due to the lead he still carries from his turkey hunting accident. Odd how that works, I started my serious cycling training in a backbrace after a car accident and was really inspired by his early successes in professional cycling.
    Ride home should have been really good (good weather, legs felt fresh, sun was shining) but it was an hour and twenty minutes of suck fest. One of my friends at work collapsed and died during my last hour at work. 46 year old with no health history walking from the parking lot to his building and then nothing. EMTs on-scene within two minutes of collapse (literally next to a fire station) and no response, heartbeat, nothing.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Peddle home was hot, hot, hot. About 115F. When I walked in the house my wife asked how my ride went. Told her I felt like crying. . .she rolled her eyes and said I do it to myself. I have a Jeep and Isuzu Rodeo sitting right in front of the house that I rarely drive. Of course she reminded me of this.

Moderator Moderator
    ... One of my friends at work collapsed and died during my last hour at work. 46 year old with no health history walking from the parking lot to his building and then nothing. EMTs on-scene within two minutes of collapse (literally next to a fire station) and no response, heartbeat, nothing.
    Wow, so sorry to hear, that is rough.

mtbr member
    Ride home should have been really good (good weather, legs felt fresh, sun was shining) but it was an hour and twenty minutes of suck fest. One of my friends at work collapsed and died during my last hour at work. 46 year old with no health history walking from the parking lot to his building and then nothing. EMTs on-scene within two minutes of collapse (literally next to a fire station) and no response, heartbeat, nothing.
    I'm so sorry, Forster. That's both sad and scary.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Forster - sorry to hear about your friend and coworker. Thinking about you and his family.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2746/2500

Tigers love pepper...
    Sorry to hear Forster. That is tough to go through. Had a similar situation happen with a co-worker, right down to CPR being immediately administered and EMT's being on site within minutes. Sometimes there's just nothing anyone can do and no good explanation. In our case he was sitting in a chair at the end of his shift talking to a good friend one second, gone the next.

Hug your family, remember to tell everyone you love them regularly. Unfortunately that's about all we can do I think.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Commuted on my Salsa Spearfish this AM. Planning to ride after work tonight (ride to trailhead, ride home). Supposed to be 98 today though, we'll see how motivated I am come 4:30.
    Well, I didn't wimp out (although the people I planned to ride with did). Thankfully there was a bit of cloud cover and even just a few tiny/faint sprinkles. Turned out one of the local shops was demoing Rocky Mountain and Giants at the trailhead. Always hard to turn down riding someone else's bike so I took A Giant Trance for a demo since I may be in the market for a 5" bike next season. Wasn't particularly impressed with the bike (might have been partially the heat and my lack of energy though). Rode my "go to" after work quickie loop and just was all out of whack. Also hands were numb within two miles. Not sure if it was a fit issue or crappy grips. First flat of the year (tubes are THE DEVIL). Was just going to get the bike back on time and with less than 1 mile of downhill left, ssssssssssssss! Felt bad, he had everything packed up (except my bike) and was waiting to get his ride in. Was about 10 minutes late. Sorry man but next time demo tubeless! Specialized did. Rode my bike home, and it was still 96 at 7:45 when I pulled in. I'd complain about the heat but VegasCruiser has me beat!

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear this - hope everyone involved is doing as well as can be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Do some stretches afterward too.
    Any particular stretches you'd recommend - if I ride too many days in a row I start to get some slight knee pain that makes me worry (usually notice it right after riding).

Today's ride was good - had a really bad cramp in my calf this morning around 4 am, bad enough to make me jump out of bed. It was still there when I woke up again, but I massaged the calf a bit and jumped on my bike hoping for the best. I did take it slow, but made it I realize this is cheating because I'm only working 4 days this week, but I haven't driven in at all (including the day I had to carry in a boatload of clothes / towels / etc...). Feeling pretty good about that. Hopefully I can do a full week one day this year.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Found out today that a rail trail that has been "under construction" since 2010 has some more work happening now that may be enough for me to use on part of my commute. Eventually it will replace about 30% of my commute, including a section of road that's so rough it's dangerous (which I emailed the town about and got no response, go figure) and a downtown area that's a bit nerve wracking too.

My legs are shot today. I've added at least 9 miles to my commute everyday this week and I rode 65 miles on Saturday, so I've done 175 miles in the last 6 days. I will be taking tomorrow off, maybe a short ride one day this weekend, otherwise I need to rest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    This morning was my first commute by bike in about 10 years. My office just moved to the outskirts of town, off the main bus route. But with the shorter bus ride that skips downtown my round trip time is actually shorter. And some of its on my bike. Score!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    My wife wanted to lift legs at the gym on Monday, and in trying to be a supportive husband, I agreed to lift with her. Big mistake. Pedaling in the next day was a little rough but I figured it would help clear the lactic acid...no dice. Pedal home yesterday was no good. Just didn't have the energy and my legs feel thrashed. Between lifting, a XC race on Saturday, and commuting the first three days of the week, I opted to take a break today and drive. I'll be back on the horse tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Any particular stretches you'd recommend - if I ride too many days in a row I start to get some slight knee pain that makes me worry (usually notice it right after riding).
    If you're actually having problems, I would totally recommend getting a foam roller. They're incredibly painful, but so good for tired legs. (they should probably be used in addition to stretching, but I tend to use mine instead of stretching.)

And there are a million possible causes of knee pain, but I always like to point people to Sheldon Brown:

Something the doctors don't seem to think of suggesting, but which really helped me a lot, is to make a concious effort to avoid lateral knee movement during the pedal stroke. Watch your knees as you ride (in a low-traffic setting!) They should move up and down as you pedal, with no sideward motion.
    I get knee pain sometimes, and when that happens I deliberately brush my knees on the toptube with each pedal stroke (to counter my natural tendency to flail outward), and that makes it better. It might not help you, but it's worth trying.

Nice ride in on the fixie this morning. I've got tomorrow off, but the weather all weekend is supposed to be kindof crummy.

I think I must have bruised/cracked a rib two weekends ago. Had a minor fall, and a bunch of miscellaneous aches and scrapes. Now all of the scabs have healed and the bruises are gone, but my chest still hurts as much as it did two weeks ago. It's nothing intense, and is mostly just annoying. The internet tells me there's nothing to do but wait.

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Yesterday morning was great. I've got new gearing (34-11), and it makes things much easier than trying to push around that 23-11 sprinters cassette that came on the bike.

Yesterday evening, however... Well, a part of my route was just repaved. Super smooth stuff and it makes riding a true pleasure, especially in comparison to the trashed stuff that was there previously. Some kids were flipping boards in the cycle lane, and I asked them to clear, which they did without conflict. What they didn't do was alert me of the black ramp they were doing tricks on. I didn't spot it until about two feet away, and by that time, it was too late. I hit it at 20mph and went down. Slid a good 10 ft and have some good road rash to show for it. I'll be doing dressing changes for the next few weeks, that's for sure.

Their dad came out yelling at them. He had apparently told them to move the ramp out of the street, and they refused. Either way, he was extremely apologetic, helped me get the bike back in order (reset the wheel in the dropouts, reposition shifter, adjust brakes) and gave the kids a good tongue lashing. Wound up trashing my helmet, so I've borrowed a buddy's spare until payday rolls around.

Needless to say, I caught a ride into work today. I'm going to try and knock out 10 miles or so tonight to loosen things up and get back at it in the morning.

And for those who were wondering, cyclocross bikes were made for that.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I don't know what any stretches are called. Just any and all leg stretches. Definitely get quads, hamstrings, and calves. I need to keep working at it. I'm incredibly not limber. I have never been able to touch my toes. Everyone else I know that's not over forty can... Just about anyway. So yeah, any stretches, do them slow.