Page 568 of 593 FirstFirst ... 68 468 518 558 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 578 ... LastLast
Results 14,176 to 14,200 of 14802
    mtbr member
    Warm (65F is a really warm morning around here) and uneventful ride in.

For the last week or so there's been a newish, entry-levelish Scott hardtail locked up outside an apartment building down the block. It's out of the way, but still very visible, and it had remained unmolested. But last night the qr seatpost disappeared, so now I'm wondering how long it will take the other parts to disappear too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    another uneventful commute.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNorv View Post
    another uneventful commute.
    Usually uneventful on a bike = good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Usually uneventful on a bike = good.
    it was a good one. I guess I did see a co-worker. Stepped up my cadence and didn't see him again until I finished locking up my bike

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    It looks like I might have to go home early. We have a storm coming in... The weather was supposed to be clear until late tonight. Any excuse to go home early I guess...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Hi all. Checking in from summer break with a little vintage bling for ya... Raleigh Restoration underway...
    Trip down memory lane. Make sure the three spider bolts are torqued properly. I lost one and bent the 52 ring. Lead to buying the Sugino crankset now on the Schwinn.

mtbr member
    Been busting my ass this week. Sunday I did a group ride with the LBS, my fastest pace ever. 19.6mph over 33 miles. Since then, I've added at least a few miles to my commute each day. 5 extra on Monday, 3 Tuesday, 9 yesterday and likely another 7 or 8 today. Needless to say, my legs are pretty tired. I will get a break this weekend though, going to visit the in-laws in NJ (though of all reasons I'm getting a break, going to NJ to see my in-laws isn't at the top of the list).

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Knocked out a 12.4 mile ride this morning. Was fighting a mild head-wind and a mild hangover. This hot Texas weather will sweat out your toxins on no time.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Back at it today after nearly two weeks off. Felt good to be out there and riding again. Nothing earth shattering or ground breaking. Just an overcast day that has now turned to rain.

I did, however, have to have my rear wheel pseudo rebuilt again yesterday. Noticed on Monday night that I had a broken nipple again. Tuesday night I went to replace the broken nipple and lightly true the wheel. Each nipple I touched fell apart as I tried to tighten it. Took it to the shop and the guy who built it for me was somewhat shocked to see all of the nippled so corroded after only 6 months. We ended up replacing them all with brass - what we should have used from the get go - so all should be good now. Alloy nips don't mix well with salt and water.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Alloy nips don't mix well with salt and water.
    I heard a little salt water was good for nipples...

I'd rather be on my bike
    Excellent ride in, but boring. Beautiful day out for a ride so I took full advantage. Ass clowns at work do NOT know how to properly lock their bikes up at the rack. There is always the one person that takes up the entire end of the rack where I like to put mine. I had to carefully move his bike back so that we could both use the end of the rack. I actually made his bike a little more stable instead of he had it. I don't like to touch other peoples bikes but I had no choice.

After I got home this evening, I was looking at my latest copy of Road Bike Action, and Pearl Izumi has an ad in there that I have not seen. I really liked this ad a lot.

'13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1785/2500

mtbr member
    ^ when people do the smalltalk "How's work?" thing, I usually say that I get 2 or 3 bikerides out of it each day, so it's tough to complain.

mtbr member
    NJ + inlaws is not a good equation! Head on down to Delaware to enjoy the beach and some Dogfish Head beer.

I've been MIA because one of my main roads into work was under construction and I am not comfortable riding any other way in. However, I think it's mostly done now and I was able to pedal into work today. Finally! Next week's weather looks promising too.

mtbr member
    Another good ride in this AM. Dry in the valley. Wet in town. Can see the band of rain clouds moving down the mountains right now from my office window. Pretty cool.

Moderator Moderator
    No commute today, I had to take a day off or lose it! I went riding at Kingdom Trails, which I prefer to hit on weekdays. Funny, it ended up being almost the same mileage as my RT commute 15.5 vs 16, but trail miles make you more tired.
    They were haying this field one of the trails goes through. It smelled great!
    How was your commute today?-p1040472.jpg

Also had a refreshing dip in the East Branch mid-ride. Most of it is rocky and not very deep, but there was a sand bottom pool that was swim-able.
    How was your commute today?-p1040469.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well, a two and a half day work week with camping in the middle. Peddled in Monday and today. Took a half day Tuesday but drove in. While driving only saves a measly ten minutes, I felt I needed it cause we were rolling out of town an hour and half after I got off and I still needed to load the trailer and hook it up. Today's commute a little longer than usual on the way home cause I had to do a work errand. Had to unlock a channel gate for a contractor. Decided to just peddle there instead of taking the work truck and working a few minutes overtime. Five, ten minutes overtime seems pointless. Beside, had El Pollo Loco for lunch and needed to burn a few extra calories.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Great ride in and a better ride home. Did a few extra miles, and stopped at the local 24 hour dairy/convenience store for some of their homemade ice cream! They put a bike rack in, be it that it is not anchored to anything, but it is a huge and heavy rack. It isn't going anywhere. Probably room enough to park 20-25 bikes or so. I was hesitant to lock my bike up there, but it is a good part of town, and is fully lit. And that rack is really heavy. I tried to lift it to see if it was anchored.
    2014 miles - 1785/2500

mtbr member
    In the spirit of Rodar's camping trips, and MTBR's tours, I thought a recent trip to Cleveland area for four days might be worth a virtual slide show.

Watched the Indians beat the Yankees Tuesday night:

Tramped about the the Cleveland Botanical Gardens in the sun (rare thing, Cleveland only gets 74 sunny days a year!):

Rode some in North Chagrin Reservation yesterday:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5756.../data=!5m1!1e3

Hope the map shows the MUPs. They are in need of some tending but not bad yet.

Their are commuter routes that parallel the road and cross under Som Center Road and I changed and showered after in one of Progressive's Campuses located directly across from the parking lot I used. My wife works for them.

The further reaches had fewer pedestrians, though early afternoon on Thursday it was not bad at all. This downhill went for maybe a mile counting the parking lot at the bottom? My iPhone connector is broken and won't connect with the iBike, so no mileage or speed data:

They haven't repainted the center dashed green line on this path yet, though it was done elsewhere. It is named Foster's Run, apparently:

Not far from that first curve, is this boardwalk beside the babbling stone lined brook (a small tributary of Rocky River, I think), this spot had a quieter vernal pond and a description of its role in the life cycles of various animals that also held The Duchess up nicely:

A lot of the paths are in tree lined tunnels. I wanted video of riding that and brought the camera but without the mounting plate to fasten it to anything. So you are spared that. Picture a 5 foot wide faded asphalt paved path with a forest green dotted line in the center, running though an emerald tunnel of leaves. Cool and minty fresh.

Most of the paths are independent of roads, though I did take off and ride the streets in two places as pedestrian safety and the sharpish turns made riding at speed a precarious thing at times. Foster's Run was steep enough for 20-25 mph dragging the brakes. I needed the Granny to climb it, but was amazed to discover my strength was significantly improved and I hauled my a$$ up it in 26-23 at 100 + cadence gaining on a 29er rider a third my age, close to my height but without the extra 30 pounds I have. The Duchess with tools, batteries, and lock was at least as heavy as his 29er. He was surprised to look back and find me closing! Not Cat 6 but plenty good for my ego!

To get to Foster's Run from the where I parked, you need to ride a road in great need of resurfacing (understatement), but I did not hold the phone steady enough for the tree filtered light available to show you that. It was already a decent down hill grade (20 mph coasting) when I discovered this sign:

I was still not steady enough taking this pic to not blur the bike. Oh well. I had never seen such a sign before. I was temped to lock the Duchess to the post at the same angle but like my paint job too much just to make that lame joke. I had reservations about a 45-50 mph descent hill with a mosaic of 6" deep potholes and multiple shedding patches. It actually was better surface from the sign to Foster's Run but I did not explore further downgrade on the road.

Numerous nature trials including this one with a nice look at one of the ponds:

All in all, a nice 2 hours of riding. But it had to end sometime. Folding rear seats and wide trunk pass through with a blanket to hide the bike that sticks into the cabin make it less of a theft issue when stopping along the way than a trunk rack does:

Time to get Kathryn and head home.

Lyndhurst has some nice trails according to one person.

Lyndhurst Bike Trails - Maps of Bike Routes in Lyndhurst, OH

Renting a mountain bike for one or more of those might be an option next year.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Looks like a great trip (except for the Yankees losing ) and ride, Brian. Glad to hear you were feeling strong on those hills. Thanks for taking and sharing some pics.

mtbr member
    ^^ Our third year seeing one game. I could barely stand crowds the first year, Three Indian wins: one against the Brewers, two against the Yankees. Not a rabid Indian fan or anti-Yankess, but always liked underdogs and enjoy a good game. If we keep up this record, maybe we can get free season's tickets to help the Indians record? Naw. Fun idea though: the positive jinx. Five runs against Tanaka is a first. Too bad he is out for 6 weeks with an elbow injury Thursday night with 9 runs scored against him by the Indians. The Indian errors Tuesday almost cost them the game. So it was a bit of an ugly win. The drunk Yankee fans in the next hotel room came in at 2:30 and didn't shut it until 4 AM. I got to hate the Bronx accents. So I paid for that Indians win!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    In the spirit of Rodar's camping trips, and MTBR's tours, I thought a recent trip to Cleveland area for four days might be worth a virtual slide show.

Watched the Indians beat the Yankees Tuesday night:

Tramped about the the Cleveland Botanical Gardens in the sun (rare thing, Cleveland only gets 74 sunny days a year!):

Rode some in North Chagrin Reservation yesterday:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5756.../data=!5m1!1e3

Hope the map shows the MUPs. They are in need of some tending but not bad yet.

Their are commuter routes that parallel the road and cross under Som Center Road and I changed and showered after in one of Progressive's Campuses located directly across from the parking lot I used. My wife works for them.

The further reaches had fewer pedestrians, though early afternoon on Thursday it was not bad at all. This downhill went for maybe a mile counting the parking lot at the bottom? My iPhone connector is broken and won't connect with the iBike, so no mileage or speed data:

They haven't repainted the center dashed green line on this path yet, though it was done elsewhere. It is named Foster's Run, apparently:

Not far from that first curve, is this boardwalk beside the babbling stone lined brook (a small tributary of Rocky River, I think), this spot had a quieter vernal pond and a description of its role in the life cycles of various animals that also held The Duchess up nicely:

A lot of the paths are in tree lined tunnels. I wanted video of riding that and brought the camera but without the mounting plate to fasten it to anything. So you are spared that. Picture a 5 foot wide faded asphalt paved path with a forest green dotted line in the center, running though an emerald tunnel of leaves. Cool and minty fresh.

Most of the paths are independent of roads, though I did take off and ride the streets in two places as pedestrian safety and the sharpish turns made riding at speed a precarious thing at times. Foster's Run was steep enough for 20-25 mph dragging the brakes. I needed the Granny to climb it, but was amazed to discover my strength was significantly improved and I hauled my a$$ up it in 26-23 at 100 + cadence gaining on a 29er rider a third my age, close to my height but without the extra 30 pounds I have. The Duchess with tools, batteries, and lock was at least as heavy as his 29er. He was surprised to look back and find me closing! Not Cat 6 but plenty good for my ego!

To get to Foster's Run from the where I parked, you need to ride a road in great need of resurfacing (understatement), but I did not hold the phone steady enough for the tree filtered light available to show you that. It was already a decent down hill grade (20 mph coasting) when I discovered this sign:

I was still not steady enough taking this pic to not blur the bike. Oh well. I had never seen such a sign before. I was temped to lock the Duchess to the post at the same angle but like my paint job too much just to make that lame joke. I had reservations about a 45-50 mph descent hill with a mosaic of 6" deep potholes and multiple shedding patches. It actually was better surface from the sign to Foster's Run but I did not explore further downgrade on the road.

Numerous nature trials including this one with a nice look at one of the ponds:

All in all, a nice 2 hours of riding. But it had to end sometime. Folding rear seats and wide trunk pass through with a blanket to hide the bike that sticks into the cabin make it less of a theft issue when stopping along the way than a trunk rack does:

Time to get Kathryn and head home.

Lyndhurst has some nice trails according to one person.

Lyndhurst Bike Trails - Maps of Bike Routes in Lyndhurst, OH

Renting a mountain bike for one or more of those might be an option next year.
    Great pictures. . .

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Took a long route. Really cool seeing the clouds roll on the water being lit by the moon. Tried to snap some pics, but it was too low light for my iPhone camera to do a decent job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    NJ + inlaws is not a good equation! Head on down to Delaware to enjoy the beach and some Dogfish Head beer.
    You're telling me! They're in northern Jersey, so it would be a hike to Rehoboth. I've always wanted to go though! I actually have a DFH bike jersey! It's one of my three favorite breweries (also, Jack's Abby and New Belgium). I did bring my bike and rode a state park in NY, just 15 minutes from there house. The road was called Seven Lakes Drive. It was just repaved recently, nice wide shoulders and not many cars. Tons of cyclists. Most were riding tri bikes. I learned first hand what roadies say about triathletes. All they can do is go in a straight line on flat ground. They would fly by me then I would catch them on the next climb or descent. Never failed. I saw guys riding bikes that cost several times what mine cost and I passed them on climbs.

This morning marked 2 months since I've driven to work. There were a few moments that I wasn't sure I'd be riding in. As of last night there was a 60% chance of thunderstorms all day. It was wet out when I woke up but the sky didn't look too threatening, so I went for it. We'll see how the ride home is. I don't mind riding home in the rain as much because I can just get soaked and not care since I don't need to wear those clothes again 8 hour later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post

Took a long route. Really cool seeing the clouds roll on the water being lit by the moon. Tried to snap some pics, but it was too low light for my iPhone camera to do a decent job.
    Burning eight hundred calories is never a bad thing. . .kind of a muggy commute today with the summer monsoon season under way here.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am not that proud of myself today. Less than 2 miles in, and I wasn't very nice. Two women were walking in the same direction that I was riding. The path is about a car and half wide or so, and they are smack dab in the middle yapping their fool heads off. I buzzed them. I shouldn't have, but I did it. Scared the hell out of them. One of them yells, "say something"!!! So I yelled back, "don't take up the whole path"!! Normally I would have slowed down, and hit my Incredibell, but I took it off and forgot to put it back on. For the most part, that goes unnoticed anyway. Might have said "excuse me" or "going to pass on the left" but I didn't. Later on, parked in the bike lane, were 12 trucks that are working on this construction site. I guess there is no other place to park, so they take the bike lane, forcing me into traffic. This has now been going on for about 3 months or so. Sometimes there are less, sometimes there are more.

Looked like rain, but I rode in anyway. Figured as long as it was dry on the way in, I would be OK. Rained about 2 hours after I got there, and then dried up, then rained again, and started drying up for the ride home.

Down by the downtown area across from the campus, there is a bike lane, and reserved parallel taxi parking spots. They wait there for the drunks to come out of the bars and need a ride. They are not that nice, and they don't pay attention to potential cyclists and just pull out of their lane into the road. Tonight there were several parked, and one double parked into the bike lane, chatting it up through the passenger window of his taxi to the other one. I could hear them before I got there. They were speaking in a non English dialect, and it was rather loud. I buzzed in between them, and as I passed, I did my loudest Nature Boy Rick Flair WOOOOOOOOOO. People walking down the sidewalk heard me. It was loud.

Like I said, I am not proud of myself today. I was kind of a dick on my bike, and I don't know why. I guess that I am sick of my lane being taken over, and the path being occupied, and people not looking when they pull out, and it got the best of me. Hoping to redeem myself tomorrow.
    2014 miles - 1785/2500