Page 561 of 572 FirstFirst ... 61 461 511 551 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 571 ... LastLast
Results 14,001 to 14,025 of 14293
    I'd rather be on my bike
    No commute today. Strong line of storms heading this way with warnings going up all along the line, and on radar, it is not pretty.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1021/2500

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    No commute today. Strong line of storms heading this way with warnings going up all along the line, and on radar, it is not pretty.
    It snowed here yesterday.

mtbr member
    But today was awesome!

Ill quit spamming pics of my new toy. lol

mtbr member

Re: How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    What a coincidence - I just swapped to a woodchipper last weekend on my ss. I'm still doing plenty of standing, but the extensions are fantastic, and the wide top is even more fantastic.
    I found some good standing hills on the way home Not sure I'd like the angle with gears (unless using bar end shifters) but mighty fine for SS.

I got scolded for running a 3 way stop sign by a lady that was mid California roll in her car (don't think it was an except right turn deal). Not sure how to feel about that.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    On the way home in waiting for the light at a particularly busy and dangerous intersection when some yahoo behind me decides to blow through the red light. Now, there were no cars coming in that direction, but I know from riding through it everyday there are blind spots where you wouldn't see a car going 55mph. Which goes back to this whole idea that cyclists need to be responsible if they want motorists to recognize their right to use the road.

I waited for the light, hopped on the MUP, and since he was in sight and going slower than me I was thinking about asking if he was training to participate in the next fatal hit and run, but decided not to go with the obviously passive aggressive route. Instead I just smoked his punk ass and he looked over as I was passing him. Looked at me, looked at my bike (still haven't taken the knobbies off) and had this look on his face like "but... but".

Summertime roadies...

mtbr member

How was your commute today?

Pretty much ran intervals the entire 12 miles home. Some wicked storms chased me, and I did a good job of staying out of the brunt of it until about a mile from the house. Even though I absolutely love riding in the rain, this downpour was so bad that when it hit, I could barely see the road in front of me. Other than that, nothing to report.

A good friend of mine from the LBS had a serious accident on Saturday, from what appears to be a chain skip in the middle of a 35 mph sprint. He wiped out, lost consciousness, and has retrograde amnesia, not to mention insane road rash. This sparked a lot of the local groups looking for basic first aid instruction, so my named got tossed around, being the former paramedic of the group. Looks like I'll be putting something together. Found out that one of the guys on the group ride when my buddy wiped out is an RN, who gave no assistance. I called him up to see what happened and if there was a piece of the puzzle that was missing, and he tells me he just froze when it happened. He never dealt with prehospital emergencies before and had absolutely no idea how to respond. Gotta fix that.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmeathead View Post
    It snowed here yesterday.
    That's wrong!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Snow? Wow!!! No thanks, I will gladly stick to the upper 80's that we have been having. Good thing that I didn't ride today to work. Got there at about the normal time, and the storm beat me, and it was a hell of a storm. As it cleared the parking ramp, the winds picked up, and the rain came in sideways. Lightning, thunder, and that crazy wind/rain combo made me glad I had 4 wheels instead of 2.
    2014 miles - 1021/2500

mtbr member
    My wife was at Target right next to where I work, so she picked me up and we went out for lunch. On the way, there was a guy on a bike (no, not a cyclist) riding the wrong way on an off-ramp to a very very busy road. Technically biking is legal on said road, but I wouldn't be caught dead on it. And here he is, going the wrong way. The red arrow is exactly where he was.

How was your commute today?-moes_map.jpg

Tigers love pepper...
    I was "that guy" on my way home last night. Rolling up to the railroad crossing the gates came down just as I got to it..... no cars around to see, so I went around the gates. Train was creeping along, would have taken him 30-60 more seconds just to make it to the intersection.

Not sure if I feel guilty or not, or if I would have still done it if there were people around to see me.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nah, watching trains go by sucks big time on an bike. I've seen people in cars do it. I'd have at least thought about it.

mtbr member
    I suppose a decent ride in this AM. Tired and the legs still feel a bit leaden. The weather was nice and I caught sight of a young bull moose. How was your commute today?-14459976714_c781971ca5_c.jpg

NDD
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    I suppose a decent ride in this AM. Tired and the legs still feel a bit leaden. The weather was nice and I caught sight of a young bull moose. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14459976714_c781971ca5_c.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	902262
    Lucky. I get to see coyotes at best.

mtbr member

Rainy day brings out the rodents.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Well, a new one for me on the way home tonite.

A wasp or bee flew into my mouth. Stung me inside my lower lip before I could spit him out. My lip swelled up immediately and is still swollen. I'm drooling as I type this...

mtbr member
    ^ blech. I had one bounce off my lip last year, but it made enough contact to feel like a bb and leave me with a fat lip.

weirdo
    Wasp sting inside the lip does not sound pleasant

I`ve had a few weeks of superb mornings followed by really gusty afternoons. Then some kind of cold front came through (Jhmeathead`s surprise snow?) and I froze my hiney off on the way home one morning, had to dig an extra layer out of annual retirement for the next day. Warmed up again and it was gorgeous all day today, supposed to be up into the 90s this weekend. Oh, and no more school busses on my homebound commute for the next two months, YAY!
    Recalculating....

I'd rather be on my bike
    Had a couple of really close calls, one that almost made me stop and rethink my route. The shoulder is really cramped, and the speed limit is 40mph. I only have to ride on it for like one block, but it is a hell of a long block. Two SUV's came within what felt like inches of my left arm. I am sure it was more, but I could feel the heat from the vehicle as they went by. The funny thing is that today of all days, I threw the blinkie on the seatpost and ran it. I don't usually do that for whatever reason. I probably should more often, but today was the day where it wouldn't have mattered if I had that light, almost got hit anyway, and this was during the day.

Ride home was nice, a bit cool but still nice. All kinds of deer out where I live, and sometimes they like to jump out and scare the crap out of me, like it is a damn game for them. I scared one as I made the turn onto a dark road, forgetting that they are blind as hell and wouldn't see my light. Apparently I was ninja enough that I startled the hell out of it, and it literally did a comical "burnout" trying to get some traction on the pavement. Like a small dog on a wood floor, he was all over the place.
    2014 miles - 1021/2500

NDD
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post

A wasp or bee flew into my mouth. Stung me inside my lower lip before I could spit him out. My lip swelled up immediately and is still swollen. I'm drooling as I type this...
    Yeah, it happens for sure. Had some stinging bug fly in between the little vent holes in my helmet one time. Little dude couldn't get out so he just started singing away.

Had to stop and take my helmet off. Big welt on the top of my forehead all day.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Rodar, glad to see you back in the swing of things.

That snow seems a little out of season. Hope you didn't plant the peppers outside yet.

RollingRunner and I are wrapping up a totally car free week. She usually ends up driving a few days to transport stuff but this week our cars haven't been out of the garage since kayaking last Sunday. I have had to resort to a backpack to carry food and clothes a few days. Some stops at the store via bike too.

I took the long way in and the long way home yesterday for a total of 60+ Miles. Today I'm just making headway speed.

mtbr member
    Hmm looks like they added some technical features to my commute:

I guess the good news is they don't have a plan to rebuild the bridge yet, so I can still get across it for a while. Once work is underway I'm going to have to find a new route if I want to take my road bike though. There's one that I like a lot but its 25ish miles with 1800 feet of climbing or so. Guess that is one way to HTFU.

Good news is there will be less traffic at the intersection on the other side of the bridge where I sometimes have to wait 5+ mins to cross. And if I have a gravel capable bike under me the detour is actually quite short / pleasant.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Ride Everything
    Warm enough for bare legs this morning.

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post

A couple years ago, I had one fly under my sunglasses and sting me under the eye. This was 2 days before my wedding. I still was a bit swollen for the ceremony. haha.

Moderator Moderator
    So yesterday I am pedaling along, and a big white newish pickup goes by with the most enthusiastic “hello” type honking. Then the blond waves out of the sunroof too. I don’t recognize her, but hey, I’m friendly, so I wave back…only to realize it is a Chevy truck and we were passing the Chevy dealer. Apparently she was actually just trying to say hello to someone at the dealership 

Last night I had trouble with a truck, but not on my bike. At almost 11pm, I’m sitting in the living room and do a doubletake because there are headlights in my backyard! This is over 200’ from the road. With no outside lights on, all I could see was the lights and the shape of a pickup. Then it went around the house and down my driveway. Investigating further, I found that it had not traveled up from the road via my front yard, but down from the snowmobile trail onto my feeder trail, which is only riding mower wide, squeezing between a fence and my shed into the yard. Amazingly, the only evidence was some laid down grass and (wild) shrubs, and one red pine on a tight turn that they took some bark off of.

mtbr member
    Decent ride in this AM. 45 in the valley and 50 in town. Sunny. Beautiful. Who could ask for more? Not I/